Which Character Are You More Like?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:25 pm

"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:48 pm

A mix of Bean and Ender. I am more like Ender, though..
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 pm

i dont know really, what esle can a 12/13 year girl can relate to. but i feel more like Petra. in a way. but i dont know.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Frankly, of all the things the Enderverse characters are, they are NOT easy to relate to. None of the Battle School kids seem remotely like children, and there's a very distinct lack of warmth and love in pretty much every relationship in the series, except maybe John Paul and Theresa, and their characters are so inconsistent and absent most of the time that they're hard to relate to.

I wouldn't say I'm much like any of them, but I feel like I understand Peter in his Shadow-series personality the best.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:25 am

If I'm allowed to pick characters from Ender's Shadow, I'd say I'm most like Nikolai. I'm good at things, but it seems like I'm never quite good enough to get by on pure skill. Sometimes I have to make do with social pull, which isn't honorable.

If it's strictly Ender's Game only, I'd say Petra. We share a sense of humor and a hidden fundamental insecurity, but we both genuinely want to be good enough to really help and usually are.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:21 am

no, i mean any book from enderverse.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:27 pm

I am more like Petra than Ender, but I'm really not like either of them. If you mean who am I most like, the answer is Novinha, who seems to be pretty much universally disliked. I find that amusing.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 am

I don't actually dislike Novinha (as others do), I just don't fully understand her behavior.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:51 pm

In a world of people who are near-perfect ideological representations - the Wiggin children, obviously, but also Jane, the Hive Queen, and the Piggies, and even Novinha's children - almost all the characters in the Enderverse are strongly rational given the information that's available to them. Novinha, however, is insecure and emotionally scarred - her actions don't make sense because they really don't make sense.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 pm

her actions don't make sense because they really don't make sense.
From what I recall, they made perfect sense in the right lighting. They may have been stupid and based on emotion but they made sense.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Almost any action which a sane person takes makes sense in some light, otherwise no sane person would take said action. But that's really not the same as being rational. In other words, I can understand why Novinha did the things she did based on her fears and desires but I still find her irrationality frustrating. Mostly because it winds up hurting everyone around her, which makes her selfish even though she was supposedly trying to protect the people she loved. All she was really doing was protecting herself and saying "to Hell with how miserable it makes everyone else".
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 pm

All she was really doing was protecting herself and saying "to Hell with how miserable it makes everyone else".
Sorry, what part of this made no sense to you guys?

Agreed on the selfish comment, by the way.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 pm

As I said, I understand her attitude but find it frustrating. The fear of losing people does not justify wreaking their lives to protect them.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lennyathena » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:43 pm

if ender's game were a soap opera, ender would be the lost-glory-but-settled-down-for-family-guy, novinha would be the jealous-second-wife-trouble-making-annoying-woman, quim would be the martyr-of-martyrs, olhado would be the annoyingly-quiet-observer/stalker, ela would be the super-devoted-to-her-job-xenologer, quara would be the making-waves-cause-i-feel-like-it-though-i'm-a-genius, and grego would be the anger-management-whoops-guy.

novinha's choices aren't central to the plot, they just add some - whoops, i mean A LOT - of drama to the story. it's her past that really adds... but more to the setting and context rather than the plot.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 pm

As I re-read the Ender books I really wish I could say I'm a lot like Ender. too bad he's better than me in every conceivable way.

Damn fictional characters giving me impossibly high standards for myself.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lennyathena » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 pm

i think i'm more like olhado than anyone else - the passive observer who sees everything but says nothing.

but does anyone find it odd that all the main characters in the enderverse are brilliant? the battle school kids are selectively geniuses and novinha's children all just happen to be brilliant xenologers/xenobiologists/physicists/philosophers ('cause for Olhado brickmakers just doesn't cut it).

(:

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:03 pm

The first person I thought of was Petra. But no I'm not like her that much, except that I'm smart, slightly arrogant, and sarcastic.
I like thinking I am like Ambul, with the whole "I don't follow stupid commands, but would be an excellent leader" type thing.
I'm not really like Bean at all, nor am I like Peter... I am compassionate like Val, but that's where the similarities end.

I suppose I'm kind of like a mix of a ton of different characters. But what more can you expect when comparing yourself to fiction like this.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:18 pm

I would say that I'm a combination of John Paul, Petra and a pinch of Ender. I'm very much a smart *ss and sarcastic, but I'm also insecure and empathetic. Ender is more like the person I wish to be, though.
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 pm

uhh, who doesn't want to be like Ender? :D

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 pm

uhh, who doesn't want to be like Ender? :D
Psychopaths like Achilles and Taylor Swift I think. 8)
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:10 am

I'm similar to a few for certain aspects. Olhado's wife because I'm utterly devoted to my family, Ela because I'm very much the big sister type, but mostly Wang-mu, because even though I may have been seen as inferior for a lot of my life, I'm tough as nails and don't take crap from people, though I know how to hold my tongue as to got be an ass. Also I'm Asian and good at cleaning floors.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”