Cause Workin' Out is 'fun' to do...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:01 am

I played wii sports resort sword fighting for so long wednesday morning that my right tricep was sore for a day+ which just reminded me I haven't been working out enough lately.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:34 am

I played wii sports resort sword fighting for so long wednesday morning that my right tricep was sore for a day+ which just reminded me I haven't been working out enough lately.
Happened to me with Wii Baseball when I first got my Wii. My roommate and I at the time were up until 3:00am trying to get the platinum medal or something. Couldn't lift my arm the next day.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:56 am

Oh I get excited just at getting a silver medal, but I haven't played much of wii sports and resort doesn't have baseball.

Swordfighting is best for me right now because most of hte others are more fun to play with a group, but swordfighting showdown is tremendously fun as a single player game. Makes me swear something fierce though.

speaking of platinum medals, I once spent two hours trying to get a platinum metal on blast corps on just a single stage and never got it.

That was after I'd gotten gold on every single stage. I maintain platinum is a fictitious. Curse nintendo power for listing the platinum times. :grrr:
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 am

I have heard of exertion headaches, where exercise can induce a headache. Normally during exercise, the blood vessels dilate to increase bloodflow to the muscles to handle the exertion, but if the vessels don't dilate sufficiently then the increased blood pressure can cause a pressure headache. Make sure you're getting sufficient levels of magnesium and L-arginine.
Okay
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 pm

I had no idea where to put this, as it isn't quite a work out but it's also not your typical video game so here it goes.

Whereas I get decent exercise on a regular basis (outside of the Wii) and still get tired, though not sore, playing my Wii game of choice, which would be Just Dance.

Track list (bolded are the ones I actually do in my little circuit or whatever):
# Acceptable in the 80's – Calvin Harris
# A Little Less Conversation – Elvis Presley
# Bebe – Divine Brown
# Can't Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
# Cotton Eye Joe – Rednex
# Hot n' Cold – Katy Perry
# Dare – Gorillaz
# Eye of the Tiger – Survivor (Rocky)
# Fame – In the style of Irene Cara (cover)

# Funplex CSS – The B 52's
# Girls and Boys – Blur
# Girls Just Want to Have Fun – Cindi Lauper
# Groove is in the Heart – Dee-Lite
# Heart of Glass – Blondie
# I Get Around – The Beach Boys
# I Like to Move it – Reel To Real
# Jerk it Out – Caesars
# Jin Go Lo Ba – Fat Boy Slim
# Kids in America – Kim Wilde
# Le Freak – Chic
# Louie Louie – Iggy Pop
# Lump – The Presidents Of The USA
# Mashed Potato Time – Dee Dee Sharp
# Pump up the Jam – Technotronic
# Ring My Bell – Anita Ward
# Step by Step – New Kids On The Block
# Surfin' Bird – The Trashmen
# That's the Way (I Like it) – Kc & The Sunshine Band
# U Can't Touch This – MC Hammer
# Wannabe – The Spice Girls
# Who Let the Dogs Out? – Baha Men
# Womanizer – In the style of Britney Spears (cover)

I think by the time I'm done pressing "A" a million times to get started and waiting for the score to pop up when finished, when you add in the actual full version songs, it takes me about 40, 45 minutes to go through those 9 songs and I'm sweating by the end of it.

I don't do this every day but I try to do it as often as possible; the only thing is, I hate doing it in front of my mom's boyfriend so if he doesn't leave/isn't gone while I'm home, I skip it that day.

Pump Up the Jam is my favorite.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Did Capoeira like two weeks ago. Great workout.

Breakdancing's also a great workout.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Did Capoeira like two weeks ago.
I am jealous. Seriously, seriously jealous.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:56 am

Yeah, you should be. It was really fun.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 am

Breakdancing's also a great workout.
Welcome to the 1980s.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Somehow the extra kilometre on my bike was waaaay longer than a kilometre today. Ugh.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:39 pm

I have Wii Fit. It is FUN.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Starting to like what I see in the mirror.

Except my arms. :(

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:42 pm

I can't wait to get home and Hoola Hoop.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:21 am

I've been eating terrible lately. Just AWFUL. I can feel it, too. My body is sluggish. Within hours of waking up, I'm lethargic and groggy, and it lasts until the end of the day when I am suddenly awake and alert for a few hours before I crash.

The main reason is this: I can't plan meals. It just doesn't work for me. If I want to make a meal, I usually end up buying the stuff the day of my making it. I just can't sit down and work out a meal schedule in advance.

I wish I could find a website that I could store recipes, and I could basically just go "this Monday, this Tuesday, this Wednesday, this Thursday, this Friday, etc etc", and it would make a shopping list of everything I would need to buy that I could print out.

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:01 pm

I started a running program to get me to be able to run 5K at the end of 9 weeks.

I'm currently in Week 3 - which is the point that I've always stopped at in the past. The difference this time is that I'm actually following the program (walk 5 min, run 2 min, walk 3 min, etc.) instead of just making my own steps up. I hope I can keep it up!
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm

I started a running program to get me to be able to run 5K at the end of 9 weeks.

I'm currently in Week 3 - which is the point that I've always stopped at in the past. The difference this time is that I'm actually following the program (walk 5 min, run 2 min, walk 3 min, etc.) instead of just making my own steps up. I hope I can keep it up!
Oooh, is it the couch to 5k podcast? Paul has been doing that (I think he's on week 7 or 8) to great success. I'm hoping to do it a few (or 6) months after the baby's born.

ETA: I hate that putting 8 in brackets makes a damn smilie.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:02 am

Oooh, is it the couch to 5k podcast? Paul has been doing that (I think he's on week 7 or 8) to great success. I'm hoping to do it a few (or 6) months after the baby's born.

ETA: I hate that putting 8 in brackets makes a damn smilie.
It is the couch to 5k app! - I'm assuming the podcast is solely audio, whereas the app has a screen that shows three different times - total time remaining, time in segment remaining and time elapsed. I love, love, love looking at those numbers at a glance - before I would try to figure it out from just the time elapsed and get distracted from when I should run and when I should walk. I also love when it tells me that I'm halfway or 1 minute left.

It's good to know that someone has been using the program, and that it's working! I did read some of the reviews before I got it, but I'm a little skeptical of anonymous reviews.

Let me know what you think of the program when you start it!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 am

I attempted to try C25K a while back but got really fed up with trying to keep track of my timing and quickly gave up. Maybe I'll look into this app and give it another shot.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Free MP3's that do the same thing, but with music.

I found the app, which lets you play your own music, to be somewhat distracting. Mostly because I found myself mentally going "Okay, song is roughly four minutes long. That means I need to listen to about two and a half songs for this interval". Was much easier with those MP3's because the music is continuous and had a specific BPM which is ideal for jogging in time with.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 pm

This is the one Paul uses.
It's a voice in your ear that tells you when to walk and run, so you don't need to be checking your screen or timing yourself.
It does have it's own music, but it's music chosen for it's BPM, so it makes sense.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:49 am

I attempted to try C25K a while back but got really fed up with trying to keep track of my timing and quickly gave up. Maybe I'll look into this app and give it another shot.
So this is the app I use. I had no idea there was an ad!

I didn't make it clear that the app has a voice that tells you when to run and when to walk and the screen with the timing.
I found the app, which lets you play your own music, to be somewhat distracting. Mostly because I found myself mentally going "Okay, song is roughly four minutes long. That means I need to listen to about two and a half songs for this interval". Was much easier with those MP3's because the music is continuous and had a specific BPM which is ideal for jogging in time with.
To each their own! I don't find my own music distracting, and like that I get to choose my own playlists to have on in the background.

Also, I don't try to match the music to heart beats per minute, because sometimes I like the slow songs to match my breathing to - the slower the song, the more deeply I breathe even if I'm running. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else, but I do know that I get less muscle cramps when I slow my breathing down.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 am

Beats per minute in the song translates to foot falls per minute. Something like 140bpm in the song is about a 10 minute mile. That's what I meant. :)

As for breathing, I found the best rhythm was "in-in-in-out-out" for each foot fall.

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Beats per minute in the song translates to foot falls per minute. Something like 140bpm in the song is about a 10 minute mile. That's what I meant. :) [/quote
I didn't know that bpm could also refer to foot falls per minute. That does make more sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

As for breathing, I found the best rhythm was "in-in-in-out-out" for each foot fall.
My first reaction to that was, "I don't want to do that", but I'll try it eventually.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:04 am

I've put on Ten Pounds since I've gone to college.

I'm still not fat and still have my abs, so I'm assuming it's ten pounds of muscle. :)

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 am

the couch to 5k podcast? Paul has been doing that ...
Just did the 5k run at the end of this program. Feelin' pretty good about myself.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Congratulations, Caspian. It feels great at the finish line, doesn't it?

Mind revealing your run time? I completely understand if you'd rather not. My last 5K finish time was pathetic enough I won't tell anyone who didn't see me run that race, though if I look at the silver lining, although it was worse than my non-race 5K times, it was better than my 5K finish time from the race I did when I was 5 years younger.

I'd probably do more than the two I have if they held them on days other than Saturdays, which I work every single week.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 am

I took a page out of Alea's book and I went for an hour walk tonight, wearing flat, cushion-less shoes. Felt good, just getting out and moving for an hour. Though, apparently I was only walking at about 3 miles per hour, and only went about 3 miles. I'll see if I can increase that. My feet ache a little bit too. :)

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:48 am

video of a portion of my lifting routine, 1 set of 4, 4 lifts of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZxKcCUtU2Y
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:32 pm

I took a page out of Alea's book
If I can't finish reading it, I'm going to be pissed.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm in the middle of trying to revamp my workout. I have kind of plateaued a bit and need to figure out something that actually is challenging enough to continue to get in better shape, so I think I might start doing more outdoor trail stuff and then an additional 20-30 min of cardio at the gym after that. Most of my goals are hiking related, so just gym stuff isn't going to cut it, and going challenging by trying to do more running isn't going to work because my hips would mutiny.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 pm

That's better. 5.52 miles in 1:05. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:41 pm

This isn't really "working out" but I got this crazy idea on the 31st, thinking it'd be the most brilliant thing ever to track the number of steps I've taken in the year 2011. I got a pedometer and after 1.5 days, I'm thinking it will be a miracle if I last the week. It's not the remembering to put it on in the morning that's the hard part, it's finding a comfortable place to wear it.

Generic year plans for "working out" are the same as usual. Bike, walk, dance, Wii. The more attention I pay to exercise, weight, and diet, the worse I tend to do so loose plans it is.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 pm

f******' cold out, but still walking... I just need to slap on an extra shirt and pair of sweats over whatever I'm already wearing. If I feel like running, I'll run. For the most part, I walk. Wicked leg pain the first few days, mostly gone now. Walking in almost completely flat shoes also introduced some interesting foot pain, but has almost eliminated heal striking in my walking. Still, since walking is almost the same as running, I'll just walk.

Going to try to go back to eating better, not that I stopped eating good, I just sort of didn't care if I ate something bad. I've only put on a few pounds over these last few months, so I didn't/don't really care either way. Worst has been the last week, as I've eaten more candy and sweets this week than I have in the last twelve before it. Probably going to experiment with IF too.

Workout wise, I'll probably start lifting weights again in the next few weeks. Maybe. I've found that when I say "I'll start [activity] on [day]!", I usually don't, and that I'm more likely to start something and maintain something if I just suddenly, one day, decide to do it.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:32 pm

For reference then:

(Glycemic Index)/(Serving size)/(Carbs per serving)/(Glycemic Load)/(Calories)
-----------------------------------------------GI------grams-----carbs----GL------Cal
Honey, Pure-------------------------------58---------10---------9--------12-------30
Maple flavored syrup--------------------68---------10---------9--------15-------26
Agave nectar-----------------------------19---------10----------8---------2-------29
Sugar (pure sucrose)-------------------60---------10---------10---------6-------38
Pure glucose-----------------------------100--------10---------10--------10------40

Sub 55 GI = considered Low GI
55-70 GI = considered Mid GI
+70 GI = considered High GI
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18211352 Rats fed honey had none of the increase in body fat that the sugar fed rats did. Honey reduced HbA1c levels and increased HDL cholesterol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12421854 Compared rats fed refined fructose to those fed honey. Fructose increased triglycerides, lowered vitamin E and were less protected from lipid peroxidation. Honey didn't raise tryglycerides, increased vitamin E and increased protection from lipid peroxidation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15117561 In humans natural honey lowers plasma glucose, C-reactive protein, homocysteine, and blood lipids in healthy, diabetic, and hyperlipidemic subjects (even at 90 grams a day!). Artificial honey (dextrose and fructose mixed) made pretty much everything worse.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Been avoiding dairy, gluten (grains), starchy vegetables, and sugar for about two weeks now. I've lost at least five pounds without even really trying, my acne has cleared up, and I feel great. :D

Still not back to lifting weights yet... though I've been mixing it up with sprint intervals, jogging, and biking.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”