Web Comics

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Not a webcomic, but I present Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality!
I'm so glad you posted this. I have been reading the updates for a month or so and kept meaning to mention it here. A friend of mine sent me a link to it, calling it "HP meets EG".
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Harry took a deep breath, feeling the water gurgle harmlessly in his lungs.

They'd fought in the forest, and he hadn't gotten a chance to say it.

They'd fought in the corridors of Hogwarts, and he hadn't gotten a chance to say it.

They'd fought in the air, broomsticks issued to every soldier, and it still hadn't made sense to say it.

Harry had thought he wouldn't ever get to say those words, not while he was still young enough for them to be real...

The Chaos Legionnaires were looking at Harry in puzzlement, as their general swam with his feet pointing up toward the distant light of the surface, and his head pointed down toward the murky depths.

"Why are you upside down?" the young commander shouted at his army, and began to explain how to fight after you abandoned the privileged orientation of gravity.

Somehow, despite their numerical superiority, the Dragons had scored three times against the Chaotics and the Chaotics had scored four times back, and he'd heard one Dragon spy get executed. Either Harry Potter had thought of a lot of very good ideas very fast, or for some unimaginable reason he'd already spent a lot of time working out how to fight underwater. This wasn't working, and Draco needed to rethink things.
I know that the story has diverged so far that it's barely recognizable as Harry Potter, and Harry himself is so completely out of character that it wouldn't matter even if the plot was recognizable, but I don't care. I have never read through another story that kept a permanent smile plastered on my face except for when I'm too busy laughing my head off.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 am

I gotta agree with you there, I vanished at least ninety minutes when I should be working and here I am leaving an hour and a half late. TREMENDOUSLY entertaining. It's as though someone took an eleven year old Scott R. Bakker and let him loose on the Harry Potter mythology. god damn it's so much fun to read that
I wonder how difficult it would be to just make a list of all the top blood purists and kill them.

They'd tried exactly that during the French Revolution, more or less - make a list of all the enemies of Progress and remove everything above the neck - and it hadn't worked out too well from what Harry recalled. Maybe he needed to dust off some of those history books his father had bought him, and see if what had gone wrong with the French Revolution was something easy to fix.
ETA: I want to quote SOOOO much, it's killing me.
"Granger, Hermione!"

Hermione broke loose and ran full tilt toward the Sorting Hat, picked it up and jammed the patchy old clothwork down hard over her head. Harry winced. Hermione had been the one to explain to him about the Sorting Hat, but she certainly didn't treat it like an irreplaceable, vitally important, 800-year-old artifact of forgotten magic that was about to perform intricate telepathy on her mind and didn't seem to be in very good physical condition.

"RAVENCLAW!"

And talk about your foregone conclusions. Harry didn't really see why Hermione had been so tense about it. In what weird alternative universe would that girl not be Sorted into Ravenclaw? If Hermione Granger didn't go to Ravenclaw then there was no good reason for Ravenclaw House to exist.

Hermione arrived at the Ravenclaw table and got a dutiful cheer; Harry wondered whether the cheer would have been louder, or quieter, if they'd had any idea just what level of competition they'd welcomed to their table. Harry knew pi out to 3.141592 because accuracy to one part in a million was enough for most practical purposes. Hermione knew one hundred digits of pi because that was how many digits had been printed in the back of her math textbook.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

No mention of Digger? Shame.
That's actually surprising; I thought I had mentioned it but apparently I had not. I used to read digger when it was on graphicsmash.com... now I can't find where I left off; argh.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:43 am

Oh my goodness, the latest xkcd! I can't believe I never realised I could SING Because I Could Not Stop For Death!

Because I could not stop for Death
He kindly stopped for me
His carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality (and Immortality...)
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Oh, man is xkcd me today:
This is totally why 9 times out of 10, I say "Bye I love you!" to Paul.

Rollover: What'll I say -- "I was staring at cat vomit when I got the news"?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm going to start using "You are in my heart always" as my closer. Or maybe "I know," though any non-SW nerd wouldn't really get that. To be fair, I'd be confused by a seemingly random "I know" at the end of every conversation, too, so probably best to stick with "You are in my heart always."

Now that I've said all that, I'll probably spend the rest of the day trying to think of something else. Excellent.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Totally me, too, Jan. That's alos why I can't go to bed angry even if I tried.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:47 pm

I assume cat owners (and others) would find these three strips from "Sinfest" rather fun.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:21 pm

I did get a kick out of those.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:40 am

I pretty much always love sinfest, I think it's my favorite webcomic actually.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 am

Sinfest is good, but it goes off the deep end from time to time. Especially during the '08 election, it got horrifically anvilicious.

That and its lack of an RSS feed keep it off my list of regular reads.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:41 pm

I read that for a while, but after a few weeks I found myself ignoring it during my morning read. Ah well.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not my favourite, but I do enjoy it and keep it in my regular rotation.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 pm

I actually just picked this up again after a year and a half. I've always kinda liked it, but sometimes it's a little heavy on the politics...
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:17 pm

I don't really get the lukewarm response to Sinfest. I tend to hate political stuff in that medium, but I don't find Sinfest overtly so.

And lately, his seemingly introspective strips are just awesome to me. I don't remember him doing anything like this before for this long.

dgf hhw

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:39 pm

I love the Fuchia/Criminy strips. They're really awesome.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 pm

I love the Fuchia/Criminy strips. They're really awesome.
Me, too.

Maybe I should confess I stopped reading all my favorite web-comics in an epic stage of depression in July and have been meaning to jump back in but feel overwhelmed? That storyline is one I'm wanting to catch up on the most.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 am

Mason "Tailsteak" Williams (the guy that did "1/0"), started a new comic a little while ago. The generic-sitcom-y name makes me cringe, but: Leftover Soup.

Though I'd rather see him continue one of his other half-finished works (like "Band"; what the hell, man?), it's nice to finally see a regularly-updated comic from him again. It kinda makes following his rarely-updated site every day for the last N years pay off.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:21 am

At least a month ago, a little birdie told me about this little comic called Cheap Thrills, informing me they thought I'd like it. Mostly trusting this person to know my tastes, I opened it up, read about 21 pages and then stopped, thinking, "What in the world? I think they misjudged this/me," and I set it aside thinking I might go back to it at some point and give it a second chance.

Fast forward to earlier this week, when they mentioned it again and I looked at my tabs; there it was still, 6 over from the left. I have been neglecting everything internet from the 4th tab and on. But I didn't start reading it that night, I waited until the next night and wouldn't you know it, it hit its stride and I was suddenly very much invested in it.

For unimportant to this story reasons, I stopped for a night or two and started back up again tonight. I have about 70 pages to go and I have to say, this comic is resonating on some very real levels for me. There are some moments that I relate to a scary degree with Bethany, the lead female, and if the little birdie who told me about this thought as much, well, I'd be very touched by their recommending it to me in the first place.

There are three chapters currently. Chapter two is the heaviest, so far, and it's also the one that I can relate to the most, even if my own life experiences weren't so bad as all that.

If this continues in the same vein as the parts I've already read, this will be up there with A Doemain of Our Own as one of my very favorite web-comics. I don't know if I'd actually recommend it to anyone here but I thought I'd share a bit about it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but Happle Tea is one of the best Webcomics out there, especially for Mythology geeks.

http://happletea.com

Have fun with that.

http://happletea.com/2009/05/04/05202008/

Odin RULES.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 pm

This might have been mentioned already, but I started reading through Scandanavia and The World. I know pretty much nothing about the Scandanavian countries, their history or culture, but it's used to great comedic effect here, and the American, Canucks, Brits, and Aussies pop up more than often enough for us to gets laughs in at ourselves.
-Alan Watts

Return to “Milagre Town Square”