The College Thread =D

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri May 21, 2010 2:51 pm

So, I got this message from a girl on Facebook
lol it just means I'm a student at Spelman College.

Well basically I contacted you cuz I'm a representative of Flyaway World LLC, a promotion company in Atlanta.

I don't know if you've heard about a some of our high school parties or maybe some of our major college events such as Sweat It Out: Slowjam Edition, Invented Sex, Are You Afraid of the Dark [The Halloween Party] and Freak Me Slow II.

This year we're looking to do even bigger events and to do so we're going to need a somewhat larger team. Xavier Flyaway, CEO of Flyaway World and I have been browsing through the rising freshman class for students who look like they would be interested in opportunities such as this. Your page was one that stood out to us.

Since you will be attending Emory, you would be a valuable asset to our team, working more closely with me than Xavier and other upper-class members of Flyaway. A lot of our parties are open to all schools in Georgia and we usually cater more-so to the AUC but as I said we're looking to expand again to even more schools this year.

Some perks of being a part of our team include free entry to our parties which you'll find benefits you in more ways than one. You also get to meet a lot of different kinds of people, most of whom are very influential and of course, a ridiculous chance to meet every type of girl you could imagine. But, to have these perks you will have to do a little work.

This work, for you, will probably only consist of distributing flyers to dorm rooms and students on your campus, something I'd walk you through if you've never done it before.

Overall, promoting (especially with us) can be a very rewarding, fun and exciting experience to partake in in Ga. Again, a majority of the time you would be working directly with me, so if you have any questions at this point feel free to ask me, but most of all let me know if you are interested! =D
(I really don't understand how I stood out, I mean I've only posted in my college's facebook group a couple of times.
I also don't understand how I looked like I'd be the type interested in this opportunity LOL)
This opportunity sounds interesting and lovely and too good to pass up, but can any of you see any negatives to accepting this opportunity and working this fauxjob after going to college?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri May 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Honestly, it sounds like a scam to me. You "stood out", because everyone did...they probably sent this message to everyone. Besides, I wouldn't want to be involved in a company that encouraged high school students to have sex or underage drinking at college and the from the names of the parties listed, it seems like they do just that. Sounds legally messy to me.

*Shrug* That's just my opinion. Maybe I'm just too "old" these days, though.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Maybe you're right.

We'll find out when she answers my message with questions, such as how many other people are supposed to be "working" for her.

Though, I don't see how you come to the conclusion that it encourages High School students to have sex - we don't know whether any of those parties referred to their High School parties (and it came after
"some of our major college events such as")

Also, how do any of the names encourage underage drinking?

ETA: If she sent this message to everyone, it'd be alot of work on her. THe first message she sent addressed me by my name and simply said hi and said she has a proposition for me. So, she'd at least have to type in the different names of all the different people she sent it to, instead of simply sending a mass email. Though, it still could be that she sent this to everyone.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri May 21, 2010 6:19 pm

ETA: If she sent this message to everyone, it'd be alot of work on her. THe first message she sent addressed me by my name and simply said hi and said she has a proposition for me. So, she'd at least have to type in the different names of all the different people she sent it to, instead of simply sending a mass email. Though, it still could be that she sent this to everyone.
If it's her job to do that, then it's not that difficult.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Fri May 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Just from reading it it sounded like a scam to me, too. Have you tried googling the company?

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri May 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Yeah, I went to their website.
They also have photos of some of the dances/parties they have hosted.

I, also, checked the girl's facebook profile for her recent friends. Since her message was accompanied with a friend request, I reasoned that anyone else she invited was also friend requested.

Two of the 7 or so recent friends(that are just graduating) were people part of my colleges page, so I know she definitely invited other people, as their would be no percievable connection between them.

Beside that, she answered my message and said other people would be doing it. "Yes there definitely will be others. At the moment we are still recruiting so I can't give you an exact number. We're hoping for at least 10, no more than 20 and definitely no less than 5. "

Either way, since all the other soon-to-be college freshman that I posit she invited - are black, I believe the only reason she messaged me was because I possibly stood out by posting and am black.

Furthermore, I haven't seen any other race in any of the pictures.
That's a problem since I like me my diversity. lol

However, I'm curious. If its a scam, what exactly would she be scamming me out of?

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun May 23, 2010 9:21 am

However, I'm curious. If its a scam, what exactly would she be scamming me out of?
I was honestly hoping someone would answer this question.

-.-

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:26 am

Tonight I really miss school. I want to go back.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Sooo I am trying to decide whether to take a class or two next quarter to improve my grad school chances.

Semester starts tomorrow.

:lol:
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Stroke
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Stroke » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 pm

I applied to St. Joseph's University, Temple University and La Salle University.

Went with La Salle, mostly because it's where all my friends were going. Commuted my first year and hated it. I was working two jobs, along with the commute I didn't get to have too much fun. Except just hanging around in one of the cafeterias with everyone.

Sophomore year I broke up with my long-term girlfriend, moved in on campus and very quickly became "That guy". I pledged a fraternity, was elected social chair the second I was in, and spent the next 2 years still working two jobs but instead of spending my free time studying like I did before, now I was just partying.

I calmed down a bit after I took an internship one summer with a Police agency.

Wouldn't really change anything though...except I probably would have exercised more each morning...and made a bigger effort to at least show up to certain classes.

My only advice is that it's ok to miss some parties and events, but if you only need one minute to try and remember some of your adventures, you did something wrong.

Oh. And if it's raining. wear a raincoat.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Some (some!) of my favourite university memories are actually study-related. There was the time a prof adjourned our class to the pub, and we spent our two hours there doing our classwork. The entire term where my Latin classmates and I would do our homework at the coffee shop right before class - we got pretty ludicrous at times, deliberately translating wrong. Spur-of-the-moment-oh-god-it's-not-raining astronomy observations. My senior paper, supervised by the best prof on campus (IMO).

Yeah, I had lots of outside fun, but if you're doing it right, the school part of school should still have its fun moments. Otherwise, why the heck are you even bothering?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 am

It's so strange to think I've been in school almost half a semester already.. They already published the classes available for next semester. I really regret not taking English this semester. But I haven't really found much difference between college and high school. Or at least, the way I feel about them and in them.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am

I went to a University. The two most coveted degrees from this school? Engineering and Nursing.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:40 pm

I went to a University. The two most coveted degrees from this school? Engineering and Nursing.
when I saw waiting for superman yesterday, they had a stat that by 2025 the US will need 123 white collar high paying tech/engineering jobs. and our schools will only be able to provide 93 million of them.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Is there anyone here in that Duke university? :o

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:14 pm

when I saw waiting for superman yesterday, they had a stat that by 2025 the US will need 123 white collar high paying tech/engineering jobs. and our schools will only be able to provide 93 million of them.
....Is that a typo?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:02 pm

At first, I wasn't going to reply.

I went to college from 1979 through 1983. I think that many of you weren't even BORN then! CeZeN, you certainly weren't!

However....I went to Washington University in St. Louis, so I thought you might be interested.

First off, it is an amazing school, education wise. USN&WR rates it as one of the top 10.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... s-rankings

Sorry--my bad. Number 13.

Second, it has an absolutely gorgeous campus! They replaced Mudd Hall (one of the top 10 ugliest buildings in the US) with a beautiful, new, old-style building. In fact, all the buildings on campus are now in the style of the building built on the grounds for the 1905 World's Fair (that served as a starting-off point for the University)

http://magazine.wustl.edu/Summer04/AGlo ... air-np.htm

There is also a new Student Commons (I saw it under construction a few years ago--fabulous!)

Also--the dorms, I think, are all now totally renovated. As in torn down and beautiful new ones (like an Olympic Village) put in their place, AND Wohl (main cafeteria) was DESTROYED!! Guys in haz-mat suits carted the old debris away, and it was used in biological weapons at MIT's Lincoln Labs.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (minor in philosophy, dabbled in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), and I have been having a great time ever since!

Things they don't necessarily tell you to do (hopefully you already know some of these):

1) Networking--with people--is very important. How you present yourself is very important. Don't waste time trying to justify to yourself that it isn't; you'd be wrong, and you're just wasting important time.

2) Don't be afraid to ask questions. Or to help the professor. If you're smart, don't be afraid to let it show (at least a little). I'm not saying to suck up to the teachers (or other students), but if people "above" you find that they can rely on you, a few extra, important doors will open up. But hell--I don't need to tell you that; you learned it in "Ender's Game"! However, no matter how smart you are--don't be a smart ass. Like your parents told you, just because you were the top in your class in High School, you are NOT going to be the smartest one at Wash U. And that's OK.

3) Take some business courses, and some economics courses. I didn't. I should have.

4) Do something; take responsibility for something meaningful. Run something. Start (and finish) something. You will either be running a business eventually, or helping your boss run his or her business. Understand how all that works.

5) Keep physically fit.

These are things that I either did, or realized later that I should have done. They are also what I told my daughter when she went off to Brown in 2008.

You are at college not only to learn what is in class. You're there to make contacts. You're also there to be introduced to other ways of life, other thought processes, other world views. Be open to this. You don't have to accept it, or adopt it, but do be open to it.

Definitely live in the dorms at least your first year. Do NOT have whipped cream pies thrown in the face of your math professor (trust me on that one).

Watch out for all-night Halo parties (it was D&D back in my day). I know lots of guys who dropped out because they were unable to moderate. Seriously, you're not living in your parent's basement any more!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Holy wow, it's Boothby!

All of his sage advice is sage advice, young-uns. Probably not much more needs to be added, from this side, that wouldn't sound more all-knowing than I actually am.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 pm

....Is that a typo?
yeah, add a million in there, 123 million american jobs and we can only fill 93 million of them. :/

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:57 pm

....Is that a typo?
yeah, add a million in there, 123 million american jobs and we can only fill 93 million of them. :/
Well, I'm glad to know Daddy always has a job, lol.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 pm

3) Take some business courses, and some economics courses. I didn't. I should have.
This is the most consistent advice I received that I have completely ignored. Pretty much everyone told me I should take a business or an economics class. I never did, and 1.5 years after graduating I haven't noticed any ill effects and I still don't know why everyone told me this. Why is this allegedly such a good idea?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Why Econ?

Two reasons:

1) I think it's important to understand how the money side of the world works. For real. NOT from just having read Ayn Rand, or from listening to Paul Krugman or Alan Greenspan (both faves of mine). When someone comes up to you and asks you to watch Zeitgeist, tells you how the US economy turned to crap the moment we went off the gold standard, tells you that all big businesses should be entirely unregulated, or warns you about the coming "New World Order," you want to be able to look them square in the eye, and speaking from a firm base of knowledge, tell them just how full of crap they are.

2) When you're older, and sick of tired of working for someone else, you want to know either how to run your own business, or (more likely) exactly why you'd never want to run your own business....
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Do schools generally cover those? I picked up most of that while growing up and reading a fair number of finance related books. I just remember taking a micro-econ class and being bored the whole way through and not finding much of use in it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 pm

To be honest, I don't know.

What I do know is that I learned about how important making contacts and networking (with people) is far too late in life. Learn to schmooze a little.

I also never learned how to run a business, so being an independent really isn't an option to me at this time. I know that it's a sure-fire way to go broke, but I also know that working for someone else is not, 9 times out of 10, going to make me rich. I also have no good, gut sense of how to invest, also a negative. I've seen how NOT to run businesses, but that doesn't tell you how to actually RUN them (it's like watching 100 car crashes--it still doesn't teach you how to drive a car!)
--Boothby

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:08 am

I still really need to read HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE by Dale Carnegie. But assume I've read it and everyone should read it. As I understand it, it's actually a very good discussion of working with people and provides a framework for learning how to be a successful individual in whatever one's social pursuit may be.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:08 am

To be honest, I don't know.

What I do know is that I learned about how important making contacts and networking (with people) is far too late in life. Learn to schmooze a little.

I also never learned how to run a business, so being an independent really isn't an option to me at this time. I know that it's a sure-fire way to go broke, but I also know that working for someone else is not, 9 times out of 10, going to make me rich. I also have no good, gut sense of how to invest,
I sometimes wonder if bouncing around as a freelancer versus staying in one place where I was comfortable will be an advantage for me whenever I make the progression to editor. Seems like I know a whole lot of people as I'm starting to run into the same ones or know people who know people. :-p I just lately realized this, and it's probably a good thing that I'm more of an accidental networker because I'm atrocious at it otherwise. I seem to have a good rep, I sort of vaguely looked for jobs last thursday night (okay I didn't look for jobs, a neighbor I barely know posted on facebook and said he knew of work and I shot him my resume, he forwarded it and that was all it took) and had two calls leading to interviews on friday and a third call today, the latter more or less a guaranteed gig no interview needed because I've worked for them before. but that's pretty good as ne gig I"m currently on ends friday.

And very true that working for others will never make one rich, you get rich by employing others, for the most part. though most people who try it wind up becoming very poor instead.

As for investments: index funds. Not that I actually invest anything, I don't. My spare money pays off my student loans or goes into liquid savings (large amounts of liquidity to buffer you through periods of unemployment is needed for freelancers.

But yes, business classes as an elective may be a plus. I would say personal finance classes might be even better. I had to learn the hard way about variable interest rates on student loans and credit score rules and so on.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:08 pm

I've only taken accounting and microeconomics in high school, and probably won't take any further business classes in the next few years, but I find economics to be pretty applicable to a lot of things. It's not necessarily the graphs and numbers, but the theories that come up in a lot of places. Things like sunk costs, game theory, marginal benefit=marginal cost, and rational self interest are surprisingly common topics that are brought up when analyzing or discussing things in both my classes and in general discussion with my friends. Also, my economics teacher taught a little off of Texas standards for economics, but he definitely introduced us to stocks and contract law and buying cars among other things that are pretty applicable to our daily lives.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:51 pm

I just wanna say that I can't wait to go back to school. I miss it so much. I can't believe it's been almost a year and a half - I haven't been out of school for so long since I was 3.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:21 am

*bump*

New semester is coming! Classes? Looking forward to? Dreading?

I am currently going to Ventura College, still my freshman year (sadly) and these are the classes that I'm going to take.

Math: not sure yet
Engineering: looking forward to
Art appreciation: I hope its what I think is is
Weight training: looking forward to
Ballroom: looking forward to
Street dance: looking forward to
Photo: looking forward to
First Aid: looking forward to
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:26 am

I'm going back to school! Hooray! *throws confetti*

I am TAing "From Rome to the Renaissance", which is cool. Looking forward to it, especially since I got dibs on most of my preferred discussion topics, ha!

Aside from that, my goals for the term:
Re-write and expand my recent paper into a proto-chapter
Finish the primary edits on my Hoccleve thoughts
Start writing conference paper
Compile my bibliography up to date
Begin historiography or intro chapter(?)

That should keep me mostly busy.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:21 am

Calc 3: I'm excited!
Organic Chemistry 2: Eh.. One was hard enough..
Organic 2 Lab: Not excited. I hate labs.
English: Not looking forward to at all, though I hear I have a great teacher, which is always a plus.
Tutoring Class: It gets me a job, and is supposed to be easy, so I'm sort of looking forward to it?
Another math class: On the waiting list, but I really, really want to take this class! Math is so beautiful, you know?
Physics-Mechanics: Excited. I've already taken two years of physics in high school, but the class I'm taking is designed so that you derive everything from basic principles instead of just being given the equation, so I think it will be very interesting!

I also get to tutor probably organic chem 1 and calculus 2 next semester, so that's exciting!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Next semester I'm hopefully taking biogeography, landscape ecology, a graduate-level applications class, two programming classes + intro to CAD online, maybe a biology/ecology research position if I can figure out how the frak to proceed with it & organize the data or start it entirely over, as well as maybe work way more hours than this semester, if I can get the MWF job as well as keep other paid internship around the other things. Oh, and maybe another field trip course if I can fit it in.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:27 am

Ugh, got none of the classes/times I wanted, because I have so few AP credits.

So far,
Philosophy- Intro to Logic

Psych - Intro To Psyc II (Which I have to change, because my AP Psych credit counts for this class. Couldn't get the Psych I wanted.)

Sociology- Intro To General Sociology

And, hopefully, Yoga.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:55 pm

CezeN, does your intro to logic class deal with sentential and predicate logic? I took a logic class this semester that dealt with those, and it was absolutely fascinating. I really enjoyed the class, even if it was my lowest grade and does nothing towards helping me graduate.. I hope you enjoy your class, anyway!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Estate Planning
Conflict of Laws
Bankruptcy
Law Practice Management
First Amendment Rights
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”