Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:01 pm

I got to try the Xbox 360 Kinetic Sunday!!! I was SO fricken excited. Oh, the perks of living by Mall of America :D

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones for Gamecube.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

I've finally entered the current generation of console gaming and got an XBox 360. Currently playing Super Street Fighter IV and Arkham Asylum.

Before that I replayed Majora's Mask for the first time in years.
Last edited by neo-dragon on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 am

Starting Dragon Age: Origins

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 am

I learned how to play Starcraft II this weekend. I quite liked it.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:00 pm

I'd never played Warrior Within before because it always crashed at a specific point on my last computer, even after I reformatted, and with different versions of the game. But I now have a new computer, so I installed it and, lo and behold, I got past that certain point.

What a frustrating game that is. Enough to make me hold off on playing Two Thrones. Would you recommend it over WW?

Just typing "WW" makes me want to play Wind Waker.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:41 am

... Did that video sound a little too much like anyone else's inner dialogue?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:04 am

For old school Pokemon fans

(this is actually pretty damn impressive)
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:24 am

I'd never played Warrior Within before because it always crashed at a specific point on my last computer, even after I reformatted, and with different versions of the game. But I now have a new computer, so I installed it and, lo and behold, I got past that certain point.

What a frustrating game that is. Enough to make me hold off on playing Two Thrones. Would you recommend it over WW?

Just typing "WW" makes me want to play Wind Waker.
It's a better game. Yes.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 pm

I recently went through the monumental task of polling 4chan's /v/ board. I made three threads on three different days at three different times asking for a single vote from each poster to what they think the best game of the 2000 decade was, between January 1st 2000 and December 31st 2009. Then I waited around for two or three hours counting votes until each thread died, before creating a list of the top 25.

It was horrible, but I almost posted this in "Personal Triumphs" because I feel pretty manly.

Here are the results:

[similar numbers tied]
22. Baldur's Gate II
22. Bioshock
22. Silent Hill 2
22. Unreal Tournament 2004
20. Diablo II
20. Warcraft III
18. Civilization IV
18. STALKER
17. Demon's Souls
14. GTA San Andreas
14. Hitman: Blood Money
14. Thief 2
10. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
10. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
10. Resident Evil 4
10. Shadow of the Colossus
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. Mass Effect
7. Mother 3
6. Team Fortress 2
5. World of Warcraft
4. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. Deus Ex
1. Half-Life 2

Some people were not happy with the results, but I agreed with most of them.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Edit: hahahaha, "two caterpies in a metapod", I can't believe I've never heard someone say that before, but it's awesome. and "I heard eight or ninetales"; these are all great.
Last edited by zeroguy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Ha. It took me a second to get that one, zero. :)

(the picture, I mean)
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:32 am

*sigh* people rap and they think they can sing...

i don't understand rap!

(take it quite literally, as i don't understand a single word they utter XD this happened since my first contact with rap music, the intro "song" to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air... never knew what the lyrics said till i saw it in the internet... much later.)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 am

This particular rap won't make sense to anyone who's not familiar with the original 151 pokemon and sexual innuendos which might be lost on someone from another culture.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

That was the best thing ever! I laughed so hard, and I had to listen to it probably three times to get all the references. Thanks for making my night. :D

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 am

This particular rap won't make sense to anyone who's not familiar with the original 151 pokemon and sexual innuendos which might be lost on someone from another culture.
I take offense to that! I am very familiar with the 151 original pokemon >.>
I'll send you my second. And if not enough, my minute and my hour.
:lol:

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:01 am

I'm just gonna say that Gold and Silver were a highpoint for Pokemon. Red and Blue are still fun as hell to play, mainly because they can be done blindfolded, but they are unpolished, delivering more of a proof-of-concept feel than a delivery-of-vision. Gold and Silver, though, delivered so much because we as players were in a similar situation to the player character to begin with. We were stepping not into a brand new, unknown world, but a world where we already knew the legends and heroes, and new the course of the challenge that was going to be laid out, and while we were familiar with the basics, they offered so much that was new to explore, and tons of new gameplay mechanics and strategies that really fleshed out the battle system. And the two-region pacing method was a stroke of genius. Instead of lengthy side-story segments like the later games forced in with the evil Teams and their plots, stretching out the 8 gyms as far as they would go, Gold and Silver kept the gym battles coming. The tons of additional mythology, too made the world seem all the more alive.

By comparison, the battle mechanics changes of the last two generations have been incremental at best, and just pointless at worst. The epic, cosmic-level side-stories first with the weather gods, and then space/time just felt like distractions. I'll admit that Generation 3 had some of my favorite pokemon designs, but Gen 4 just felt like they had run out of ideas.

Also,

Mind blown?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 pm

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Having seen more trailers for the new Metroid, I must say I'm getting more and more excited. It would appear it's in the vein of the old games, and they seem to even have done a 3d version of the end of Super Metroid - anyone who has played it knows how awesome yet heartbreaking it is.

I'm now more excited for the start of September because of this game than my 18th birthday.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 pm

My worry with Other M is that the timeline is confused to hell for new players, it's not like Ocarina, or really any of the Zelda games where you can easily just jump in and feel like you're getting the whole story. Even Prime has issues with that. It was the first Metroid game I played and a lot of stuff in it didn't make sense until I asked friends about it who were familiar with the series.

In most cases, this would be a secondary issue, but on the Wii, it comes to the forefront. The games that this will be compared to, at least in sales numbers have all been put together in mind for Nintendo's new mass-market casual gamer in mind. This game won't sell or be as loved as well as Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy. And it also runs the risk of offending it's most loyal fanbase by sharply diverging and handing the series over to Team Ninja. All of this seems pretty risky, and maybe Nintendo's fully aware of this, and are just testing the waters with it, but these new big-budget trailers make it seem like Nintendo's betting on this one to be a big seller, and I just don't think it will be.

Now, Nintendo isn't going to just abandon Metroid if this game doesn't go off like gangbusters, but, especially given the outsourcing of a main entry in one of it's own franchises, it could be the start of a Sonic-esque decline for the series that I'd really rather not see.
-Alan Watts

Phenious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Phenious » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Also,

Mind blown?
I never realized that till you put it up there. It makes me want to go to Google earth and see exactly what each of the Poke cities coincide with in real Japan. Who wants to go on a Pokemon Journey across Japan?
Guys, I left my DS with Scribblenauts in it in the seat pocket of an airplane. Your video game talk makes me want to cry.

But! I still have my Gamecube, on which I played Soul Calibar II this weekend. Man, I love that game.
This almost made me cry. I have left my gameboys all over this state in one location or another. I should have one of each version of the system and yet all I have is my DSlite and Advance. I so feel for you on this one.

Next I would like to announce that I have almost been two years WoW free! I'm so proud of myself for breaking my addiction, but enough was enough.

As for games I am currently dividing my attention between they would be:
1)Warhammer 40k
2)Monday Night Combat on the Xbox360
3)Pokemon SoulSilver
4)Rock Band 2
5)Toribash
6)Monster Hunter Tri

Those are in order of when I last played them.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:19 pm

and they seem to even have done a 3d version of the end of Super Metroid - anyone who has played it knows how awesome yet heartbreaking it is.
You may like this if you haven't seen it already. (That's lacking the artist signature/watermark for whatever reason... booo. It's by an "Alchemist Defined" allegedly)

dgf hhw

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:39 am

If you were talking about the commercial trailer for the game, then you will likely also want to see this video which tugs at the heartstrings regarding the baby Metroid a bit more.
-Alan Watts

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Zero - I've seen that - just makes me long for a high-def remake of the game. Incidentally, I saw that here, which is well worth a listen (read: awesome, and I want to be in an orchestra that does that kinda stuff) but probably belongs in the music confessions thread.

Janus - seen that too. Yes, it makes me want to cry. Interesting, however, that it ignores the Prime series - deliberate? Team Ninja being a bit pointed? Anyway, saw it on the official website, which has all of the videos, including a good live action one. (these being the videos I referred to in my previous post.

Also, on the subject of it maybe not attracting much interest, I think that given the current drought of games on the Wii it should do reasonably well. Plus, it has a massive fanbase to draw on, and even those who dislike Prime have an excuse to get back into it.

The only problem I have is potentially with the voice actor for Samus, who sounds entirely wrong for the role. Meh. Still can't wait.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:03 am

22. Baldur's Gate II
22. Bioshock
22. Unreal Tournament 2004
20. Warcraft III
18. Civilization IV
14. GTA San Andreas
14. Hitman: Blood Money
14. Thief 2
10. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
7. Mass Effect
6. Team Fortress 2
5. World of Warcraft
4. Metroid Prime
2. Deus Ex
1. Half-Life 2
These are the games out of that list that I've played. I'm rather sad BioShock came in that far down the list, and more sad that WoW placed, especially near the top.

If I were to rank what I thought were the best out of that list it would look more like this:

1. Deus Ex
1. Half-Life 2
1. BioShock
4. Civilization IV
4. Team Fortress 2
4. Warcraft III
4. Mass Effect
4. Thief 2
9. Metroid Prime
9. Baldur's Gate II
11. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
11. Hitman: Blood Money
13. Unreal Tournament 2004
14. GTA San Andreas
53. World of Warcraft

On a related note, I can't freakin' wait for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, BioShock Infinite, Civ V, Halo Reach, Sonic 4 and the XBLA release of Sonic Adventure.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Meh, I'm done with Halo. I never played ODST and I don't really intend to play Reach. I would've preferred if that movie they almost made a few years ago had been an adaptation of the Fall of Reach book. Now I'm just waiting to see what Bungie does after Halo since this is supposedly their last game in the franchise.
The enemy's fly is down.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Meh, I'm done with Halo. I never played ODST and I don't really intend to play Reach. I would've preferred if that movie they almost made a few years ago had been an adaptation of the Fall of Reach book. Now I'm just waiting to see what Bungie does after Halo since this is supposedly their last game in the franchise.
Skipping ODST was a poor choice. I picked it up because of the Firefly cast voice acting, but the gameplay turned out to be about a hundred times better than Halo 3, despite using the same engine. They took everything I hated about Halo 3 and corrected it. Also, owning ODST offered the chance to play the Reach Beta, which was spectacular. I grudgingly played through Halo 3 for the story, but I despised the multiplayer. The Reach Beta was actually fun to play, and I have high hopes that the full release will be even better.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 pm

so my sister got a wii for her birthday and I got to play wii fit and sports resort over the weekend and they were the killer apps that finally induced me to buy my first console since I saved up 75$ to buy an N64 and extra controller when I was thirteen (split 1/3 with my parents and brother).

and so my parents got me wii fit and I bought myself a wii, an extra controller and nunchuck yesterday and I'm loving the purchase. Sports Resort is wonderful, Archery! sword fighting! Basketball 3pt challenge! And wii fit is also awesome.

and anyway the video game scene has changed some so I have some questions.

Also, OMG there is a new Donkey Kong and NBA JAM coming out and they're legacy style! that makes me so happy.
1. Contra is on the virtual console, right?

2. Galaxy, Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Brothers?

3. Mario Kart better than the DS version?

4. Twilight Princess or something else?

5. I didn't see any gamecube controller ports on my black wii, did they remove the support?

6. wii classic controller in black?

7. virtual console punchout or wii punchout?

8. Is boom Blox required? I've enjoyed it but never NEEDED to play it.

9. Why doesn't best buy carry Wii Play anymore? assholes.

10. Sonic Rush, yay or nay or the sequel(s)?

11. Shouldn't I just buy the Megaman anthology from gamecube rather than buying hte wiiware games one at a time?

12. Does class speed matter for SDHC when using wii? do I have to buy a class six or will a four or two work?

I am utterly loving that I get a 25$ giftcard from Bestbuy for buying a controller and a game, I'll be getting all my controllers this week instead of spreading out the love, that was a nice bonus to getting wiifit and a controller yesterday.

Is it bad I want to leave work early so I can go play with my wii for hours in the wee hours of the morning?

yeah, I said that just to make you go :shock:
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:37 am

Skipping ODST was a poor choice. I picked it up because of the Firefly cast voice acting, but the gameplay turned out to be about a hundred times better than Halo 3, despite using the same engine. They took everything I hated about Halo 3 and corrected it. Also, owning ODST offered the chance to play the Reach Beta, which was spectacular. I grudgingly played through Halo 3 for the story, but I despised the multiplayer. The Reach Beta was actually fun to play, and I have high hopes that the full release will be even better.
Eh. ODST wasn't that much different from Halo 3, at least to my amateur eye, but then I only rented it and played through the campaign. The primary difference was just that the ODSTs were so much more vulnerable than Master Chief. I realized about halfway through that I was pinned down by a force the like of which I would have barely noticed in Halo 3, just a few elites I think. Maybe I'm just a terrible Halo player, but any game that can actually make me feel under threat with each encounter is a win in my book.
-Alan Watts

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:48 am

Ooh, ooh, I want to help, where I can!
1. Contra is on the virtual console, right?
Looks like we have Contra III, so maybe, if that's the one you want. I'm no expert.
2. Galaxy, Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Brothers?
NSMBW is about the best thing ever made for four people of varying experience with video games. Galaxy 2 is pretty much Galaxy with more things and slightly better pacing, and you don't need to have played Galaxy to enjoy it any more at all except for the odd cameo, so I'd suggest Galaxy 2 if you want a single player experience.
It's okay. Nothing too special or awesome, in my opinion. I don't like steering with the Wiimote, but that's my opinion.
4. Twilight Princess or something else?
TP is good. Very good. But I'm a bit of a nostalgia whore, and it references Ocarina every chance it gets, plus has some very good temples and items and great new characters.
5. I didn't see any gamecube controller ports on my black wii, did they remove the support?
Can't have. Internet doesn't say anything about it and there would have been an outcry, what with it being GameCube game compatible.
In black it comes with, you know, grip wings, a la the GameCube controller or most any other. Supposedly is more comfortable.
7. virtual console punchout or wii punchout?
The Wii Punchout is really great, but a completely different experience. This means you need bo(l)th.
9. Why doesn't best buy carry Wii Play anymore? assholes.
It's not that great, in my opinion. The best part about it was getting a second controller and a game for the price of a second controller. I got really bored of the games really quickly, and I love party games.
11. Shouldn't I just buy the Megaman anthology from gamecube rather than buying hte wiiware games one at a time?
Sounds reasonable.
12. Does class speed matter for SDHC when using wii? do I have to buy a class six or will a four or two work?
Don't think it matters. I've plugged any old thing into it and it's worked.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:19 pm

I enjoyed the Wii version over the DS version, but the better option is the 64 version via Virtual Console.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Real snes controller + wii adapter!

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:45 pm

the DS version is better than the 64 version.

I bought punch out and mario 3 for virtual console. I'm going to have to control myself on that thing. Dammit, Punch Out is still hard. timing! must get classic controller soon.

Picked up New Super Mario Wii and Mario Kart Wii today, curse you Best Buy for offering a 25$ gift card for buying two titles. I'll probably get two more black wii motion plus controllers and another 25$ giftcard on friday (payday).

Then the coinflip over what game to use the giftcard on, Twilight Princess, Galaxy 1 or 2 or some other title, or a classic controller. decisions decisions.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 am

If I put games on an SD card can I take the card with me to another person's wii and play the games on that wii?

Has any human being ever beat TMNT level 3 without a cheat?

Is it possible to get past the first stage of A Boy and his Blob?

Is it heretical to wish they'd reprogram some of those NES games to keep the graphics more or less intact but fix the programming issues with hit detection, lag, etc? I know that'd effect gameplay, but only for the better, imo.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”