Who Should Play Adult Roles?

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!
wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Who Should Play Adult Roles?

Postby wigginboy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm

We have had much debate on this in the old pweb, but that is lost and i think we have new members. So, who should play the major adult roles in the movie? I was thinking Clint Eastwood for Mazer Rackham. He's old enough and seeems to fit the description of him in the book. Rough, leathery skin. It makes sense. As for Graff, we need a serious guy, who can have a sense of humour sometimes. I was thinking possibly MArk Addy but we run into the problem that he is a comedian so people might find it hard to take him seriously. As for Anderson, well, I heard on the old site that he was supposed to be a she in the movie, so I'll leave that one open for suggestion. I would love to hear anyone elses suggestions on adult roles too.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:43 pm

I've always been a huge advocate of Morgan Freeman for Mazer. But then again, Sean Connery would be absolutely incredible. They are pretty interchangable to me to be the frontrunner for the role.

For Graff I have one person I want... I just watched Barton Fink again the other day and John Goodman never ceases to impress me. I love the guy and he fits the role to a "t". John Goodman is the ONLY option in my opinion.

As for Anderson, I want somebody younger with little experience. That being said, I couldn't really care less...

For Dap I want Nathon Fillion in what would be somewhat of a cameo.

Salaam

Blitz
Launchie
Launchie
Location: The high school in the middle of the wheatfield... (Go Wildcats!)

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Hmm... the only one I can think of right off the bat would be Nathaniel Lees as Mazer. Or Morgan Freeman. But Nathaniel Lees first.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:21 am

I've always thought Temuera Morrison looked the part more than anyone else since a fellow named caliginous suggested him back in fall/summer of 99 on the old fresco boards (damn it's been a while).

While Morgan Freeman would be nice, Denzel Washington could actually open the movie without forcing a rewrite of the script to make him the focus and give him an actiony scene. Will Smith could also open the movie but he'd force a rewrite to make the script have more Graff (note the idiotic and useless motorcycle bit in I Robot, totally a star ego rewrite sequence).

on the other hand the problem with both Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington is that they bring so much dignity and gravitas that playing a hard nosed military man is either passe or stereotypical for them now, I don't think it'd be a role that would really draw their attention. That means it's a very hard sell for an agent and the casting director.

I'd like to see Joss Whedon take over the project, but I think if the planets align it will satisfy everyone's hopes and dreams with the heroic efforts being poured into the project for the last three years.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:47 pm

I always thought that Hugo Weaving would make a fun Graff, humourous, serious, and sarcastic all at once!
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:26 pm

different idea... tell me what you think. how about brent spiner as graff
...but paranoia is all I have!!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 am

Data as Graff.

Well... that's an interesting idea. I really don't know what to say.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:52 pm

don't think of him as just Data. I thought he was great in ID4.
...but paranoia is all I have!!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:22 am

I don't know, he kind of plays... "goofy" characters, am I incorrect? I don't think Graff is goofy. Graff is hard. Graff is cold. Graff is a giant a******. But, deep down, he loves his kids. Not quite goofy.

Row--row.

Borommakot
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Borommakot » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:47 pm

I'm sure he could play a serious role if he wanted to. Is Anderson going to be in the movie? I'm trying to think of who could play him, and Dimik. What about Ender's parents? Would it be a good idea to cast great actors for roles that dont play a large part, such as his parents? But you sort of expect it, since they are kinda important. They'll play a larger role too if Card decides to make a movie about the Shadow saga, since I doubt he could have Speaker for the Dead and Hive Queen & The Hegemon in the same movie, so it would really be one or the other, most likely Speaker.

Ted
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ted » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:07 am

Clint Eastwood for Mazer, good pick. I think Kris Kristofferson or Tom Skerritt could pull off Mazer, too. Scott Glen is a possibility.

As far as Graff, I could see Wilford Brimley filling that role.

Jakt
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jakt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:12 pm

Dig the Clint Eastwood pick for Mazer

The first thing that popped in my head for Graff was oddly.... Danny DeVito... wtf

ThatOneGirl
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ThatOneGirl » Mon May 04, 2009 2:54 am

I could see Liv Schreiber as an awesome Graff!!! He's got the perfect good/bad? guy thing going.

And as a preemptive disclaimer, I'm not a wolverine fan - I've liked him since before Defiance.

HeatherDanger
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HeatherDanger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Ok so Graff gets FAT. So no Hollywood hunks for him. I've always felt Alec Baldwin. Jaded enough, serious and already heavy set and worn looking

As for Mazer, I say Gary Oldman. That man can character act like a BEAST.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:57 pm

I guess I never posted in this topic. Huh. I still stand by Ben Kingsley for Mazer Rackham. He's amazing, wiry, tough, and a great actor.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

HeatherDanger
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HeatherDanger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I guess I never posted in this topic. Huh. I still stand by Ben Kingsley for Mazer Rackham. He's amazing, wiry, tough, and a great actor.
Oh man. OHMAN. Kingsley. That would be incredible.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Woo hoo! In eight years, I've managed to convince somebody!

*does a little dance*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:18 am

You've pretty much convinced me, actually. That's the closest to my picture of Mazer that anyone has ever come.

Row--row.

HeatherDanger
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HeatherDanger » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Though, let's be honest. Is there any role that Ben Kingsley wouldn't completely OWN. That GQMF.

hkobb7
Launchie
Launchie

My Thoughts

Postby hkobb7 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm

I have to say, I like the idea of Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, or even perhaps Bruce Willis as Mazer Rackham. The Bruce Willis to which I refer is of the Hart's War variety, not the Live Free or Die Hard kind. Jean Reno would also be a good choice for this part, perhaps my first.

Graff is a more difficult selection. He has to wear more hats, so to speak, than Rackham, that of a nice man, a military officer (both hardened and softened), a teacher of children, and even at points a bureaucrat. The best insights into his persona, I feel, come in the introductory dialogues to each chapter, usually between Graff and Anderson or a superior.

That said, my first choice(s) would be Ed Izzard (a comedian, yes, but his performance as Erich Fellgeibel in Valkyrie was excellent, however minor). I think that the actor who takes this part needs to be extremely talented, but have a very small following. A Tom Cruise-type of person would distract from the main part of the film, in a way that would be ten times worse than John Travolta in Pelham 123 could ever be. Otherwise, I would consider Tom Hanks, Nicholas Cage, and other famous, talented actors for the part.

Anderson is much easier to cast, when compared to Graff. He's an officious, by-the-book, wargame-loving prick, who also likes his students, but not nearly as much as he loves the game (or as much as I like this run-on sentence). What I would advise against is changing the role for a female portrayal. It doesn't quite fit the persona of the Battle School itself, if that makes sense. I would look at Jonathon Rhys Myers and Tim Olyphant in this part.

SpookyChris
Launchie
Launchie

Postby SpookyChris » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:35 pm

[quote="ThatOneGirl"]I could see Liv Schreiber as an awesome Graff!!! He's got the perfect good/bad? guy thing going.
quote]

100% agree. he is the mental image i have when ever I read the books.

I could see Tom Hanks being Enders Dad. no clue for the Mom
Christopher Chartrand
Formateur / Coordonnateur
Cosmodôme / Camp Spatial Canada
www.cosmodome.org

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:53 am

How about Ben Kingsley for Razer Rackham, Bruce Willis as Graff, and Liv Schreiber as Major Anderson?

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 am

I'd sooner pick Russel Crowe for Graff than Bruce Willis. I can't think of any time I've seen Bruce Willis pull off the sort of subtle manipulations that are a big part of Graff and Ender's relationship. In Body of Lies, though Crowe practically is Graff. For some reason my image of Mazer has basically been this:

Ian McKellen would probably be my first choice, and Morgan Freeman after him. Freeman could play Mazer a couple different ways, though, and I'm not 100% sure all of them would go well.

Frankly, I'd like to see John Paul and Theresa played as almost comic relief characters, done right that would both make them obvious as the straw men for Locke and Demosthenes without delving into extra expository discussion of the issue between Peter and Valentine, and also serve as a reflection of the true depths of their character since we the audience know that they know what their children are doing. I forget which sort of irony that is. Dramatic?

That said, and especially if Joss Whedon directed as was suggested earlier, Nathan Fillion and Olivia Williams would get my votes.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Re:

Postby OSCjunkie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm

That said, and especially if Joss Whedon directed as was suggested earlier, Nathan Fillion and Olivia Williams would get my votes.
Nathan Fillion should be in it just for the hell of it. The Firefly/Ender crossover is rampant among fans. Using his voice in Halo was classic but this would top even that.
"I aim to misbehave."- Mal, Serenity.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Re:

Postby Jebus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Ben Kingsley
is not Maori.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: Who Should Play Adult Roles?

Postby Boothby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Nathan Fillion as the shuttle pilot taking Ender to Eros.

Too bad for me, though...I wanted that cameo!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Nathan Fillion should be in everything.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Re:

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:26 am

Ben Kingsley
is not Maori.
Neither are any of the other actors people have floated. But Kingsley is more of a chameleon than many actors, and could do the scrawny old man schtick.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Ben Kingsley
is not Maori.
But Kingsley is more of a chameleon than many actors ...
That's it! A chameleon! We need Gary Oldman.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 pm

That's it! A chameleon! We need Gary Oldman.
You say many awesome things but this is among the best.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:41 am

:thumbs:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 am

My brother just sent me this, which reads as more than just random speculation, so it might be news-board-worthy, but eh.

Not sure how I feel about Ford. I love him, but he's not how I really picture Graff.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 am

I can see Ford. Not my first choice, but a decent one for the crusty old soldier.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 am

Duly tweeted.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”