ESP(Web)N

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 am

Also, USC fans - enjoy the next two years! AHAHAHAHAH!

Flyers, Phillies, Eagles - all suck balls. :/
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:10 am

And you hate LA and Boston fans? I'm guessing that I can throw New York fans in there too? I'm also thinking that you don't really heart Chicago fans either, specifically Cubs fans. Blackhawks fans actually aren't that bad. They are somewhat delusional, probably because they either just became fans or jumped back on the bandwagon in the past two years, but not bad. Canadiens fans on the other hand, the worst fans in all of sports. I think they rioted and looted three times this playoffs.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am

Not to mention, anyone that actually uses the phrase "IDK" instead of I don't know, should probably be beaten to death with a large sausage.
XD oh, the mental images...

Also: my bff jill?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 am

Now the Bears and Bulls need to win one. 24 year drought for one, 12 for the other.

Oh, and..
Also: my bff jill?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:14 am

Reply, take 2:
But I will be sad if the Pac-10 expansion means we never play Zona in football anymore. So much more interesting than the Reno roadtrip I'm currently mulling for football season.
Tucson roadtrip? [Arizona] Have Pwebbers, [Alea] Will Travel.

Assuming my company is desired on any level, that is.

Alea, you had better be celebrating :)
This is the reason for the second attempt at this reply. I had such mixed feelings about the way the whole thing ended.

I wanted it to go to game 7; I wanted it to go back to Chicago. I guess that, yeah, that meant I wanted the Flyers to win game 6. Still wanted Chicago to win the whole thing.

I thought, despite the fact that the fans booed during the ceremony, it was pretty classy of them to mostly stick around instead of leaving en masse.

I'm a little disappointed in the Tribune, even if what they printed was weak/funny/typical.

Mostly, I'm disappointed and a little hurt by an off-board reaction.

I have been fascinated with the city of Chicago since I was 3; that's 24 years. I have been interested in hockey exactly 5 times in my life: the release of each Mighty Ducks movie (but let's get real for a moment, is it really all that exciting to go from some worldwide event in D2 back to high school in D3?), during a scene in She's Out of My League when the main character goes to a Penguins game (don't ask me why that interested me, it just did), and this series.

A lot of why I kept paying attention after I read about it on Chicagoist.com is because of an interested friend who just happened to be cheering on the opposite team, a team I would have cheered on had they played a team from any other city. He gave me an emotional tie-in to a sport I'd had very little reason to pay much attention to beforehand because it's just not a big part of the culture around here and while I would have been disappointed in a Chicago loss, the series meant anything to me at all because of this friend, and so my disappointment in this hypothetical Chicago loss would have easily been gotten over by being a witness to his happiness. There is plenty for me to love about the city without needing the Stanley Cup, too.

In other words: It didn't mean nothing to me, what with my stupidly challenging the Universe, I wasn't faking my interest once I gave it a shot, but I recognized that this meant a hell of a lot more to him. I don't know if that's adding salt to the wound, saying it would have meant more if it ended differently, that I would have been essentially happy with either outcome, but I do know I don't feel much like celebrating.

ETA: I respect my friend's loyalty and passion for it; it's one of the things I like best about him. I even understand that passion goes two ways: good and bad. I didn't, however, expect the reaction I got; I expected to be ignored.

If saying/thinking/feeling all that makes me less of a sports fan in general, so be it. At the end of the day, sports in my life have always been more about the connection and experiences I've had with the people who matter to me than the teams' W-L records.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Reply, take 2:

Tucson roadtrip? [Arizona] Have Pwebbers, [Alea] Will Travel.

Assuming my company is desired on any level, that is.
But of course! It depends on where I am & access to a car, but things are looking like Tucson could be doable. I remember we drove out there for a SC game when I was in high school and it was fun :D
:(
If saying/thinking/feeling all that makes me less of a sports fan in general, so be it. At the end of the day, sports in my life have always been more about the connection and experiences I've had with the people who matter to me than the teams' W-L records.
I agree with this, so, so much. I quite honestly don't like watching sports that much at all, but one of my close friends here does, as does one of my best friends from college, and my mother is obsessive about them so I mostly go with one of them.

I'm going to a women's basketball game for work tonight. More sports!
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Reply, take 2:

Tucson roadtrip?
But of course! It depends on where I am & access to a car, but things are looking like Tucson could be doable.
Yay! This would be the first time a Pwebber was not only in my state but also in a city I'm emotionally attached to (Alex/Yebra was in my state but we stuck around the Phoenix-to-Grand Canyon area). I am cautiously excited about the possibility, which I will pretend is remote.
:(
To be fair, I said something unkind a lot earlier in the day. It came out all wrong but nonetheless, it wasn't nice.
I quite honestly don't like watching sports that much at all
That's a bit sad. I enjoy sports in general; my first job was as a baseball scorekeeper, I attempted a few but realized I suck, I've coached 5 different soccer teams at two different age groups, I grew up hopping between baseball fields in the summer/fall and soccer fields in the "winter", and I've spent countless hours following baseball/softball, basketball, football, soccer and track. It's because of my dad and brothers and I miss having that constant presence of Avid Sports Fan, though my mom helps make up for it during football season.

With that said, if you're spending time with people with sports in the background, even if it's not your thing, I can respect that.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:20 pm

THIS JUST IN:

Soccer is boring.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Less than 12 hours until Le Mans!

I blame NASCAR for relegating mass-market motorsport in America to rednecks, and IndyCar for well... being F1 for retards.

Smart money's probably on Peugeot, but... the R15 Plus is just so much cooler than the 908. GT1's boring, but in GT2 I'll pull for Corvette Racing, but... they're just not as quick as the Risi Ferraris, the Porsches, and probably not even the BMWs.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:39 am

THIS JUST IN:

Soccer is boring.
So don't watch it :P i don't think the companies who sponsor the world cup will revise their decision based on your sports taste. :lol:

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:37 am

THIS JUST IN:

Soccer is boring.
Seconded. France VS Uruguay = total garbage.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:56 pm

AHAHAHAH England and the U.S. tied. Take that you limey bastards. I guess.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:06 pm

well, I'm disappointed in the celtics, but it just means its time to focus on the red sox!

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:13 am

"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 am

woo! Lakers! 8)

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:09 am

This is awesome.

I actually got to watch the Mexico-France game. I never thought I would be cheering for Mexico, but I was. Especially when I was cheering for France in 1998 against Brazil and last world World Cup against Italy. Well in the immortal words of Harry Dunne, "I don't know Lloyd, the French are assholes."

Also, my production at work might reach an all time low at 9:30. I am cautiously optimistic that the US could actually win this group. Here's to hoping they don't dick around.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:14 am

My husband recently requested that we upgrade to ESPN in HD so he could better enjoy the World Cup. Silly boys.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Uuuggggh, two draws does not bode well for getting past group play, US. Need a win against Algeria (should happen but you never know), need Slovenia to lose.

And Nomi, can I move in for the summer? Pretty please?

Lastly, someone color me surprised that Ed watches soccer. Did not know that. *impressed*

(Alright, Ali, love. 13.4 posts are needed before I can again. Get to work.)

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Alea,

Sports is what I do. I watch everything or at least know enough to have a conversation about it except club level soccer (which I would probably watch if it was more accessible) and NASCAR (which I absolutely can not get into).

Now, they don't necessarily need a Slovenia loss. Assuming that Slovenia beats England and the US beats Algeria, Slovenia would win the group with 7 points and the US finishing second with 5. England would be out. Now I am just going to assume that England is going to beat Algeria, so right now it would be England 4; Slovenia 4; US 2; Algeria 0. The US is going to have to beat Algeria no matter what. If the US wins, they are in so long as England/Slovenia doesn't end in a tie. If it does end in a tie, the US is going to have to win goal differential. Meaning that will have to beat Algeria by at least 2. There are still a couple ways that they can win the group, but they are far less likely now.

It is just a shame, because they should have won that game. The was a play in the first that was called a hand ball even though it clearly bounced off of Findley's face that may have led to a goal. And there was a phantom call in the late second half that was a goal. I still don't know what the call was there.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:58 am

Double post, but I don't give a f*ck.

Oh my god. Absolutely unbelievable. The refs tried, but even with their help they couldn't get the job done. I don't even have the words right now.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:13 am

The U.S. pulls off miracles.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am

I just became a huge Ghana and Australia fan!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 am

Australia
Tim Cahill <3

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Well Spain is through and they avoid Brazil. I bet this pleases you Jota?

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm rooting for Spain. Espana!!
Where does friendship end and love begin?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:18 pm

It pleases me, as the match with Brazil should be saved for the finals! ;)

Es-pa-ña! Es-pa-ña! Es-pa-ña!

(though saying this makes me kind of confused as a Galician nationalist :3 lol)

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Ah the finals....any opinons on who its going to be?

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Well the USA beat Spain in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. Go USA!
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:19 pm

The words are getting lost and tangled somewhere between my brain and mouth.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:01 pm

I am completely and utterly crushed (and have to finish the workday still, blegh).

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Agh... AGH! The USA lost! There goes my morale, again... from the 30s to the 10s on my hundred point scale.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Cheer for Espana, you won't be disappointed. 8)

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:32 pm

No. I hope Portugal wins.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:35 pm

At least Ghana is still in!

Africa still has one country left in, woot woot!
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Poor Africa...they should have held it out longer being the host continent and all but....I'm not that good yet so I won't say anything..Besides...Spain is gonna win it all!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”