The Guys not talking about Guy Stuff Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Best regular shaving option?

At the Barbar, hot towels, the whole works
No votes
Safety razor
17%
cartridge razor
25%
Blade Razor
17%
Straight Edge Razor
8%
I never, ever shave my face
33%

Total votes: 12

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:39 pm

"Hey Mister, were you wearing a pink tie? No? Well here's your lip!"

Also, I'll give 10 manliness points to anyone who knows what that clip is before they see it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 pm

straight razor for me , old mug with double duck brand badger hair brush and this shaving soap bar I get at the beauty supply called RK mens bar. anything else and I break out like a punk kid ! :D
That's spectacular :D I've been looking at getting a safety razor because I can't afford the start-up costs of a straight razor, but the modern razors are very expensive to get cartridges for and wasteful, so safety seemed a good balance. The local knife store has some Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving creams which I am curious to try: in particular a lavender scent and a sandalwood scent.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:50 am

As a shift back to hygiene, does anybody here use an old-style safety razor or a straight razor?

If so, what do you like about it, and what shaving creams and brushes do you use?
I only wetshave and use an old style safety razor,with merkel blades, it's awesome. I believe it's a merker long classic razor about $25 when I bought it.

I use a pretty basic brush, a $40 volfix badger brush, and I've got three kinds of shave cream, a lavender scent "art of shaving" tube that requires a LOT of work to create a lather (I like the scent but never use it because its crap to try and use, but creates good lather if you work at it for four or five minutes) A cheapo ($2) cake of shave soap I found randomly and unexpectedly at CVS or some such store, that's lasted two years and all it requires is a few swirls and then applying vigoroously to the face creates all the needed foam and the application raises the hairs resulting in a smoother shave as well as fewer ingrown hairs/razor burn (which I get from modern razors) and a rarely used can of barbasol if I am in an emergency rush. I use JASON aftershave, which is the only aftershave I've ever liked. And not using aftershave results in a noticeably less happy post shave razorburn/ingrown.

I bought my brush and razor, blades and brush stand and razor stand all from classicshaving.com
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm

It's shure tuff to find a good soap or cream that lubes and lathers up well ! Nothing's worse than razor burn in the summer!

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 am

Guys (and girls) of the internet, I have a question. My girlfriend will be going travelling across Eastern Europe shortly and in preparation she is getting a bikini wax, a haircut, and is running the pill together to avoid getting her period.

Is this not unequivocal evidence that she plans to be screwing every greasy Eastern European she comes across? I think it must be. I'm gonna beat her to the punch and screw every vagina I see in New York.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 am

New York is a strange place. Just make sure you check for a vagina first before you dive in.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 am

New York is a strange place. Just make sure you check for a vagina first before you dive in.
um...

Neo...

You do realize you're talking to jebus?

I don't think he minds/cares so long as theres a modicum of willingness.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:29 am

Guys (and girls) of the internet, I have a question. My girlfriend will be going travelling across Eastern Europe shortly and in preparation she is getting a bikini wax, a haircut, and is running the pill together to avoid getting her period.

Is this not unequivocal evidence that she plans to be screwing every greasy Eastern European she comes across? I think it must be. I'm gonna beat her to the punch and screw every vagina I see in New York.
I'd be more worried if it were Italy. but either way, I think the opening ten minutes of Y Tu Mama Tambien still applies.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:40 am

Not to worry, italian guys are so in love with themselves i'd hardly think think they have time to spare on girls XD

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:06 am

I think it probably means she's gonna spend a ton of time at the beach. Crazy, I know. But that's my suspicion. :D
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:56 am

Does that mean that you are getting a bikini wax and a haircut too?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Dude, if you've ever tried to find a pharmacy in the middle of f****** Athens in the middle of their biggest f****** festival all year, the festival during which only 6 pharmacies are open in the entire f****** city of 5 million people - well, you'd not be asking that question.

And while bikini waxes aren't my thing, I do make a lot of effort to travel well-groomed. It's more comfortable, for one thing.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:36 pm

And while bikini waxes aren't my thing
It's on my list of things to try at least once but I doubt it'll be of the Brazilian variety, which is what I think most people first think of when they hear "bikini wax."
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Coming to P-Web and seeing this at the top of the list made me think someone had stickied bikini waxing conversations.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 pm

I got myself a Merkur safety razor yesterday! I'm just getting the feel for it, but I quite like it and I love how little waste is involved with its use (blades instead of plastic and metal cartridges, less packaging, etc.) :D
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 pm

The Great Male Survey 2010 Edition

Guys: See if you agree.

Girls: Get some insight into the minds of "typical" males.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:25 pm

It's on my list of things to try at least once but I doubt it'll be of the Brazilian variety, which is what I think most people first think of when they hear "bikini wax."
Just to derail the man thread with non-male things..

Ahem.

It. HURTS.
And could possibly make you bright red if you are allergic, which is a majorly awkward and painful situation.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Just to derail the man thread with non-male things..

Ahem.

It. HURTS.
And could possibly make you bright red if you are allergic, which is a majorly awkward and painful situation.
I actually don't think it's overly painful (and my threshold is not high). Then again, they always liquor me up first, so perhaps I'm too far gone to care.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Never underestimate the power of liquor.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:21 am

Ewwww... statistics used outside of the scientific method... :x

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:51 am

Back to the whole issue regarding the toilet seat:

D and I have entered what is hopefully the fourth and final phase of our issues with this.

Phase 1: D leaves toilet seat up pretty constantly. K finds this annoying, but doesn't really say much because she figures, either way, one person will be inconvenienced, so whatever.

Phase 2: Cat puke is everywhere in the apartment. Don't know which cat it is, or if it's both, but it's everwhere. One day, D walks in the bathroom to see Reece drinking toilet water. He has sudden revelation regarding the cat puke, and both parties firmly commit to closing the toilet lid entirely. K prefers this, as it keeps the cats healthier (puking issues cleared up nearly immediately) and it means that both parties are similarly inconvenienced.

Phase 3: Tara starts peeing on K's beautiful shower curtain that she loves, loves, loves. (Fortunately, washing it with vinegar took out the smell.) K and D declare the bathroom a kitty-cat free zone unless the cats are under direct human supervision. Both continue closing the toilet lid out of habit for a long time. Eventually, D starts getting careless about this as the cats drinking toilet water is no longer an issue. D starts leaving toilet seat up again on occasion. Not consistently, mind you, which means K does not develop a habit of putting it back down.

Phase 4: K wakes up one night at 3 AM needing to pee. K's glasses are not on the nightstand, and she is not going to put in her contacts to go to the bathroom as she's trying to keep herself in that semi-entranced state that will make it easier for her to fall back to sleep. Note: K is blinder than a bat without corrective lenses, even when fully awake. K walks into the bathroom. Upon sitting, K realizes that, without corrected vision, the toilet with the seat up looks exactly the same as with the seat down. K barely manages to save her self from falling in. This has the unfortunate effect of jolting her out of her half-asleep state. K relays the incident to D. Henceforth, it was mutually declared that the toilet seat would remain down when not in use as a necessary and reasonable accomodation for K's visual disability. And all is well.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 am

Yes at a truly choice rack ! :P

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

Girls: Get some insight into the minds of "typical" males.

Keeping in mind it is probably less than accurate and I shouldn't take it too seriously, I took notes on the Sex and Love tab:

05 :D
27 :(
35 :(
37 :(

Those got the biggest reactions from me.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 am

What's a matter with 37? I don't get the sad face. Further explanation!

I got a chuckle out of 32. Because I fall into the "Yes, on more than one occasion" category.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Hey little birdie, I'm surprised that you're happy that only 38% said that they were not at all likely to cheat. That number should be higher.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 pm

I'll address these when I get home; I tried to look at the link, just to remind myself of what the questions and answers even were and work filters blocked it as "adult."
Hey little birdie, I'm surprised that you're happy that only 38% said that they were not at all likely to cheat. That number should be higher.

(If you all would be so kind as not to reply after this, I can delete this post and throw up a new one in its place. I didn't want to be responding elsewhere and making it look like I was ignoring this.)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow, Brits really like big boobs.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:01 pm

38% * 2. There were two separate questions.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 pm

The second category of 38% are "not very likely to cheat". In other words, they still might. Only 38% are "not at all likely".

I happen to think it's shameful that not even half of the respondents have complete confidence in their ability to be faithful, but I suppose it's better to look at it as 76% are at least not very likely to cheat. I guess that's what Alea's happy about.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:55 pm

I guess everyone's entitled to like big boobs...
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Oh, that one. I'm smaller than that, is all. Every two out of four men I cross will be thinking I'm too small.
I was being optimistic and hoping the latter portion of the second answer would trump the former portion.

Plus, sadly, it makes me feel better about not trusting men.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Strangely it doesn't make me feel better about not being trusted. :(
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:39 pm

I was mildly irked with the reasons they associated with a given answer. For example, someone might not cheat on their partner, not because of their morals, but rather because they love and respect their partner. However, the love and respect reason was attached to the possibility of cheating.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Strangely it doesn't make me feel better about not being trusted. :(

The distrust is reserved for men I'm romantically, or fairly certain I'll be romantically, involved with. Lucky them.

Everyone else gets a different type/level of distrust.

Aren't I fun?

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Oh, that one. I'm smaller than that, is all. Every two out of four men I cross will be thinking I'm too small.
Well I messed that up. I could see the sad face for that you. I meant 35, the threesome one.

About the cheating one, thinking and doing are two totally different things. Mind you, I have never actually cheated on a significant other. But I have thought about it. An example: It was a couple years ago. I was dating some one that I was in love with. I was at a party without her. I had some great conversation with a cute, funny, smart, interesting girl. She was definitely in to me and if I were single, it wouldn't have been a second thought. And I thought for a passing moment, "Wow, I could cheat on [insert name] right now and she would never know." It was a thought for a moment and there was never any intention behind it. But it was a thought none the less. I would like to think that this doesn't make me a cheating scumbag.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”