Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Alea mentioned chocolate in an IM and suddenly it was ALL I could think about. I don't think I'd had anything chocolate for three weeks. that wasn't deliberate, it just happened. and so instead of going to the gym I went to TJs to pick up something for dinner more produce (I was all out of fruit!) and a chocolate bar.

dang pavlovian response. :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Irrational irritation: I'm thinking of a movie quote, I can practically hear the emotion behind it, but I can't remember what it's from, what causes the character to say it (okay, I know a little bit of this), or what the exact words are.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed May 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Irrational irritation: I'm thinking of a movie quote, I can practically hear the emotion behind it, but I can't remember what it's from, what causes the character to say it (okay, I know a little bit of this), or what the exact words are.
That's the beauty of it; it doesn't do anything.

What's the mangled version of the quote that you remember?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Nevermind, I remembered it during Wii time. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Guilty pleasure: This post puts me past eriador. It feels like with two people who actively post at the top like things are "right" again with pweb.

Irrational irritation: People who care about post count. Myself included.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:35 pm

This post puts me past eriador.

Welcome to the dark side. I greatly look forward to you eventually surpassing me.

(I care about my post count in relation to others'; I'd like to have less or others to have more Image)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:22 pm

I was looking at the list just the other day and I'm actually rather surprised that I'm like 400 posts away from even being in the top 10.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Clearly you need to pick up the slack. ;)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:57 pm

I remember when I was in the top 3. I was so cool back then.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:38 am

(I care about my post count in relation to others'; I'd like to have less or others to have more Image)
I try, i try, sheesh... XD

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 am

Pweb's auto-censor. I hate that all varieties of f*** become lower case, even when they begin a sentence. That just drives me nuts. And I can't fix it, because the wordlist isn't case-sensitive.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:32 am

You know, I don't even really feel guilty about this Guilty Pleasure at all, but I just felt the need to express that So You Think You Can Dance? is a reality show for which I would happily forsake all other activity, ever.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Damn, the Hallelujah Dance was impressive last night. That guy (Alex?) is winning. No one else is in his league.

On the other hand, he may have peaked, people peak singing Hallelujah on Idol all the time, and I was disappointed that none of the judges acknowledged the the song was doing a lot of heavy lifting for the dancers.

is it bad I can't remember what contestant was dancing with Twitch but that I thought Twitch was probably best in show last night (other than Hallelujah). :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm not sure this is irrational but it's an irritation.

Tuesdays have become the "Alea and M-" show. Because someone insisted on a division of labor, to be "fair," two of the others decided that meant that was all they had to do.

How does that translate today? I rushed from outdoor bookdrop to 8 out of the 9 incoming crates to craft program to Info desk (while the craft program was still in progress), back to craft program, back to Info desk.

Meanwhile, coworkers were sitting around downstairs because it wasn't their official day to help with crates and they weren't officially scheduled to be on the desk.

Are they really so dense? We are perpetually short-staffed and simultaneously the smallest staff of all the branches, no reliable volunteers to speak of, one person out on vacation right now. My department exploded when I was off Saturday. It took me a week to get to where I was and I'll be lucky if it takes so little time again.

HELP OUT.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Guilty pleasures:

I'm newly "obsessed" with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm on season 5 (and 2 of Angel), and I don't plan to stop marathoning until I finish.

I love BPAL. No matter how stupid expensive a 5ml perfume oil is at $20. And Lush. Because who doesn't need a $6 bath? :wink:

Let's face it - I live near Mall of America. Let's throw shopping in there, too.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm newly "obsessed" with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm on season 5 (and 2 of Angel), and I don't plan to stop marathoning until I finish.
Woo, that's where I am, too! Well, not on Angel. But I'm almost done with S5 and am shotgunning them continually.

High five!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Woo, that's where I am, too! Well, not on Angel. But I'm almost done with S5 and am shotgunning them continually.

High five!
Nice! It's addiccctttiiiive. I'm all over the Buffy/ Spike bandwagon. LOL.

You're not missing much with Angel. Other than the eye-candy that is David Boreanaz, it's kind of Buffy's shadow.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Sweet, guys. Season 5 is where I am in my most recent re-watch of the whole series (probably the 10th time I've done that :oops: ).

The first time I watched it, I did all 7 seasons in about a month and a half. It was ridiculous.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:26 pm

If Buffy belongs in a guilty pleasures thread, I'm afraid to mention what I watch as a guilty pleasure. Because it is trash. :P

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:09 pm

You're not missing much with Angel. Other than the eye-candy that is David Boreanaz, it's kind of Buffy's shadow.

Noooo! ANGEL is amazing because of Cordelia! Especially in seasons 1 & 2!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Now that Angel is in reruns on TNT, I'm watching two episodes pretty well every weekday. Been doing that for awhile. It was interesting -- I caught the episodes leading up to and including the final episode, then started over at the beginning. (It was very cool seeing Cordelia at the beginning of the series after seeing her in that episode towards the end. Both ends of the arc.) I am truly enjoying it.

I have extremely little interest in watching Buffy, all the same. Sarah Michelle Gellar has always irritated me for some reason, and the Angel episodes she was in just kind of made me want to slap her, despite the fact that I felt I was approaching her character open-mindedly. I found absolutely nothing interesting, endearing, or remotely likeable about her. I know and respect the opinions of about a gajillion people who love Buffy, but I haven't yet been able to convince myself that I should watch it. However, that was how I used to feel about Sex and the City, and I got over it. *shrug*
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:10 pm

High five!

I have been avoiding watching Angel for years because David Boreanaz looks (or looked, who knows?) way, way too much like our own dear ex-Hegemon. Freaks me out. I could barely sit through his scenes in Buffy, for the same reaon.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:05 pm

High five!

I have been avoiding watching Angel for years because David Boreanaz looks (or looked, who knows?) way, way too much like our own dear ex-Hegemon. Freaks me out. I could barely sit through his scenes in Buffy, for the same reaon.
Noooo! Now, instead of sexiness, I will only think of John. LOL

Kelly, I LIKE Angel... I just like Buffy more :P :lol: Cordelia is amazing, but I'm just really into the Spike plotline. It's ironic and hilarious, and I just don't want to turn it off to switch the Angel after each episode.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:05 pm

High five!

Noooo! Now, instead of sexiness, I will only think of John. LOL

Kelly, I LIKE Angel... I just like Buffy more :P :lol: Cordelia is amazing, but I'm just really into the Spike plot line. It's ironic and hilarious, and I just don't want to turn it off to switch the Angel after each episode.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:28 pm

*double post*

Lush is SUCH a guilty pleasure. I just took an extremely expensive, extremely indulgent bath with a Keep it Fluffy bath bomb, a sakura bath bomb, Gentle Lentil Shampoo, H'suan wen hua and R&B conditioning treatments, Sultana soap, and Flying Fox body wash. It was INCREDIBLE!!!!

Now I feel super pampered for the party!

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:28 pm

*double post*

Lush is SUCH a guilty pleasure. I just took an extremely expensive, extremely indulgent bath with a Keep it Fluffy bath bomb, a sakura bath bomb, Gentle Lentil Shampoo, H'suan wen hua and R&B conditioning treatments, Sultana soap, and Flying Fox body wash. It was INCREDIBLE!!!!

Now I feel super pampered for the party!

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:15 am

Irrational Irritation:

Guy: "Is that a sundress (that you're wearing)?"
Girl: "No, it's a dress for fat people. Dresses are for fat people"

Guilty Pleasure 1:
ಠ_ಠ
More of my work time is wasted than productive...

Guilty Pleasure 2:

Women in sundresses...
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Back on the guilty pleasure that is Angel/Buffy..

How did I not realize what a major hottie Gun is?? He's SO cute with Fred!!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:41 am

The only reason I get up as early in the morning as I do is that I really want to have time to watch both episodes of Angel before I go to work. I cannot wait until I've watched the whole series through and can start sleeping in a little bit.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:50 am

Currently I'm working for the State of Minnesota in the Department of Human Services. Obviously "Diversity in the Workplace" is a big thing around here, and pretty much every door has a button that handicapped people can push so that the door will open automatically. Signs are posted informing people that the buttons are to be used by those who are handicapped only, and all others are to open the door manually.

But people are so f****** lazy here that 90% of people swipe their key cards for access and then hit the handicapped button. Not only does this irritate me on principal, but it is much quicker to open the door manually, the automatic process is slooooooooooow. High traffic times such as the beginning or end of the day or lunch breaks are extra annoying, because everyone bottlenecks up behind the door while it takes 8 million years to open.

SO f****** ANNOYING.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm just about finished with the second book in Stieg Larsson's MILLENIUM TRILOGY and I am SO irrationally iritated.

I bought the first two books in mass market paperback because

a. they are cheapest, and I am poor.
b. David really LOVES mass market pbs. I mean, he prefers them above all other editions. (Personally, I like trade pbs myself). He convinced me to go the mm route.

But now I want to read the third book, and IT'S NOT OUT IN MASS MARKET YET. It's in hardcover. It's in trade. It isn't in mass market and who the heck knows when it will be? Not until they've wrung every last dollar out of the first two, that's when.

It is a trilogy. These books have to sit beside eachother on my bookshelf. THEY HAVE TO MATCH, DAMNIT.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Could you get it from the library and then buy it later?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:34 pm

that is why i haven't bought the latest wheel of time book.. waiting for the paperback.. =|
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Could you get it from the library and then buy it later?
That's what I plan to do; the waiting list is SO LONG, though.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Most libraries have uncatalogued paperback editions, so check the paperback shelves at your library as well - I know I've seen it there at our library.
....or
Buy it in Trade and sell it to a used bookstore/on ebay/ on abebooks, etc?
I've considered doing things like that, but never have. :)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”