Scripture

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:12 am

There is a passage in the NLT where is speaks of not eating meat if it scandalises your neighbour, but that one shouldn't be scandalised by eating meat. However, the translation in other versions specifies "meat sacraficed to idols." I thought that that was a fairly significant interpretative leap when I first came across it.

Don't get me wrong. I like the NLT as a devotional bible, and I think there's a lot of merit to the translation.
Not a big fan of the NLT. For example:

"You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to." - Philippians 2:5-6

What is that? That is not what the Greek says. Talk about taking liberties with the text because of your bias. This is a prime example.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Fri May 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Psalm 22

1My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

9But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.

10I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

11Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.

12Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

13They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

19But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

20Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

21Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

22I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

23Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

24For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

25My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

26The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

27All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

28For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.

29All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

30A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.
~ 1,000 years before Christ.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:19 pm

I Peter 3:10-11

For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:44 am

This is not a Scripture reading, but I preferred to put it here than in the other quotes places on the board. I think I may have elsewhere mentioned that a few days ago, shopping at Barnes and Noble, I ran across the Lutheran Book of Prayer. I've been using it at least as a take-off point for my morning/evening prayers.

Today's fit so well (Monday morning, second week, 20). There are actually several prayers for joy in one's work that are helpful to me. I thought I'd share part of this one. (Slight edits for gender neutral language.)

"I pray, make me ready to commit restored energies to the tasks before me. Forgive all my sins for Jesus' sake, and purge from my heart all selfish desires and purposes which would wrongly use my gifts and powers. Grant that I may, day by day, put forth efforts pleasing to You, helpful to my fellow creatures, and sufficient to provide for my daily needs. Keep me mindful that my service to others is service to You. Help me to remember that in all things my sufficiency is of You and whatever I do is to be done to Your glory. Give me joy in my labor, sincerity in my service, and unselfishness in all my striving. Help me to be faithful in all things, for the sake of Him who died for me. Amen."

Italicized portions are those which really hit home to me.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:27 pm

There is a passage in the NLT where is speaks of not eating meat if it scandalises your neighbour, but that one shouldn't be scandalised by eating meat. However, the translation in other versions specifies "meat sacraficed to idols." I thought that that was a fairly significant interpretative leap when I first came across it.

Don't get me wrong. I like the NLT as a devotional bible, and I think there's a lot of merit to the translation.
Not a big fan of the NLT. For example:

"You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to." - Philippians 2:5-6

What is that? That is not what the Greek says. Talk about taking liberties with the text because of your bias. This is a prime example.
So, other translations make more sense with this passage?

(King James Version)
5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

(New International Version)
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

(English Standard Version)
5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 am

I thought I would offer this translation of Phillipians 2:5-6...

Verse 4 is about being humble and regarding others as better than yourself...
Let your attitude toward one another be governed by your being in union with the Messiah, Yeshua.

Though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God something to be possessed by force.
Verse 7 goes on to say that "On the contrary, he emptied himself and took the form of a slave to be as human beings are."

This is from the Complete Jewish Bible. This is the clearest translation I have read for many parts of the Bible.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”