Scripture

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Scripture

Postby Satya » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:36 pm

This is a thread for sharing your favorite scriptures, of whatever religious tradition.

Job and Ecclesiastes are my favorite Old Testament books of the Bible. Here is one of my favorite passages from Job; in it, Job's wise friend Elihu offers him counsel on his situation and on the nature of God.

Job 33:23-29

"If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness: Then He (God) is gracious unto him, and saith, 'Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom. His flesh shall be fresher than a child's: he shall return to the days of his youth:' He shall pray unto God, and He will be favourable unto him: and He shall see his face with joy: for He will render unto man his righteousness. He looketh upon men, and if any say, 'I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not;' He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light. Lo, all these things worketh God oftentimes with man..."

And these are the last two verses of Ecclesiastes, my favorite.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:00 pm

There's so many good things to choose from. Here's a couple currently on my mind:

In a farewell discourse given by a wonderful King, showing the example to follow:

"Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God. And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." Mosiah 2:16-17, the Book of Mormon

Calling out to exiled Israelites:
"But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee." Isaiah 49:14-15

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:19 pm

The Dhammapada 1, The Pairs
Mind precedes its objects. They are mind-governed and mind-made. To speak or act with a defiled mind is to draw pain after oneself, like a wheel behind the feet of the animal drawing it. 1

Mind precedes its objects. They are mind-governed and mind-made. To speak or act with a peaceful mind, is to draw happiness after oneself, like an inseparable shadow. 2

"I have been insulted! I have been hurt! I have been beaten! I have been robbed!" Anger does not cease in those who harbor this sort of thought. 3

"I have been insulted! I have been hurt! I have been beaten! I have been robbed!" Anger ceases in those who do not harbor this sort of thought. 4

Occasions of hatred are certainly never settled by hatred. They are settled by freedom from hatred. This is the eternal law. 5
This one really hits me lately...

The Dhammapada 23, The Elephant,
If you find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go along with him, overcoming all dangers, pleased at heart and mindful. 328

But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. 329

It is better to travel alone. There is no companionship with a fool. Go on your way alone and commit no evil, without cares like a great elephant in the deep forest. 330

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 pm

I posted this elsewhere recently, but it's still one of my favourite passages.
For he hath given me certain knowledge of the things that are, namely, to know how the world was made, and the operation of the elements:
The beginning, ending, and midst of the times: the alterations of the turning of the sun, and the change of seasons:
The circuits of years, and the positions of stars:
The natures of living creatures, and the furies of wild beasts: the violence of winds, and the reasonings of men: the diversities of plants and the virtues of roots:
And all such things as are either secret or manifest, them I know.

(Wisdom of Solomon 7:17-21)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 am

This passage reflects for me what the commandment of love, what being Christian means:
Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'
Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'
And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.'
Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?'
He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.'

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 am

a passage from Exodus 29
10 "Bring the bull to the front of the Tent of Meeting, and Aaron and his sons shall lay their hands on its head. 11 Slaughter it in the LORD's presence at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. 12 Take some of the bull's blood and put it on the horns of the altar with your finger, and pour out the rest of it at the base of the altar. 13 Then take all the fat around the inner parts, the covering of the liver, and both kidneys with the fat on them, and burn them on the altar. 14 But burn the bull's flesh and its hide and its offal outside the camp. It is a sin offering.

15 "Take one of the rams, and Aaron and his sons shall lay their hands on its head. 16 Slaughter it and take the blood and sprinkle it against the altar on all sides. 17 Cut the ram into pieces and wash the inner parts and the legs, putting them with the head and the other pieces. 18 Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, an offering made to the LORD by fire.
i think its great that an omnipotent deity is so interested in the fat around a bull's kidneys

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:30 am

old meme

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am

i think its great that an omnipotent deity is so interested in the fat around a bull's kidneys
It is great. It shows that an omnipotent deity cares about the little things and isn't a grand detatched god throwing lightning bolts down.

More on the topic. I love the book of James.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Meh. I'm just mildly surprised Ended didn't quote Ezekiel 23:19-20
Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
It's a favorite amongst the anti-religionist crowd.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Because those of us who care about, follow and hold the bible to be a holy text haven't, you know, studied it or devoted thousands of years to figuring out it's mysteries... :roll:

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 pm

..Or that those opposed to it haven't spent equal time and energy into trying to disprove, defame and dispute it - and have come up with far better (if still wrong) ways than quoting Old Testament scripture about slavery, sex laws and dietary rules.

Ended
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ended » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:08 am

how about revelations 4: the biblical description of heaven?
At once I was caught up in spirit. A throne was there in heaven, and on the throne sat
one whose appearance sparkled like jasper and carnelian. Around the throne was a halo as brilliant as an emerald.
Surrounding the throne I saw twenty-four other thrones on which twenty-four elders at, dressed in white garments and with gold crowns on their heads.
From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings, and peals of thunder. Seven flaming torches burned in front of the throne, which are the seven spirits of God.
In front of the throne was something that resembled a sea of glass like crystal. In the center and around the throne, there were four living creatures covered with eyes in front and in back.
The first creature resembled a lion, the second was like a calf, the third had a face like that of a human being, and the fourth looked like an eagle 7 in flight.
The four living creatures, each of them with six wings, 8 were covered with eyes inside and out. Day and night they do not stop exclaiming: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come."
Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to the one who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever,
the twenty-four elders fall down before the one who sits on the throne and worship him, who lives forever and ever. They throw down their crowns before the throne, exclaiming:
"Worthy are you, Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things; because of your will they came to be and were created."
sounds like just the place you'd like to spend eternity.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:31 am

Sounds good to me.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:50 am

All eternity... like that? :?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:03 am

I think it's important to understand that this scene in Revelation is a vision -presented in standard apocalyptic/priestly temple symbolism- of a particular experience and event. There's a lot to learn from it, but the physical appearance of the location of the Throne of God, and the appearance of its inhabitants I'm pretty sure aren't those things we're supposed to take from it ;)

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 am

. . . the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 am

sounds like just the place you'd like to spend eternity.
Really, dude? You're going to keep going like this?
Look, I know it's SUPER fun to discover strange bible verses for the first time, but comeon, those of us who grew up in the church discovered those at age 10 sitting in the back pew.
The bible requirs study and interpretation - and trust me, any strange verse in the bible has been studied and dissected by people who ACTUALLY know what they're talking about.

sorry, guys, but it's just so fun to feed the bezoar. I cannot resist.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 am

1 Corinthians 13:1-2
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 am

I think it's important to understand that this scene in Revelation is a vision -presented in standard apocalyptic/priestly temple symbolism- of a particular experience and event. There's a lot to learn from it, but the physical appearance of the location of the Throne of God, and the appearance of its inhabitants I'm pretty sure aren't those things we're supposed to take from it ;)
I sure hope so :) I, for one, find myself without actual beliefs on what Heaven is. I don't think it makes sense knowing. In any case, that paragraph makes a lot more sense when you know the cultural referents of what glory is for the writer of the Apocalypse.
In any case, just for show, the "Gate of the Glory" (Pórtico da Gloria) in my city's Cathedral, whose interior depicts that scene from the Apocalypse.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:22 pm

I sure hope so :) I, for one, find myself without actual beliefs on what Heaven is. I don't think it makes sense knowing. In any case, that paragraph makes a lot more sense when you know the cultural referents of what glory is for the writer of the Apocalypse.
In any case, just for show, the "Gate of the Glory" (Pórtico da Gloria) in my city's Cathedral, whose interior depicts that scene from the Apocalypse.
*drools over the architecture*

Some day, jota. Some day, I will go to your "Spain." And then me and a mister Gaudi will have a talk, and suddenly I will not be so impressed by all of your "beautiful" architecture.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Hehehe well, you know, we might be culturally and militarily satelized at this moment of time, but we still can boast of the things we* built many centuries ago :lol:

"we" in a relaxed meaning of the word XD

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 pm

``Jesus entered the temple courts, and, while he was teaching, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him. "By what authority are you doing these things?" they asked. "And who gave you this authority?"

Jesus replied, "I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I... am doing these things. John's baptism—where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or from men?"

They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Then why didn't you believe him?' But if we say, 'From men'—we are afraid of the people, for they all hold that John was a prophet."

So they answered Jesus, "We don't know."

Then he said, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.``

- Matthew 21:23-27

Jesus totally pwning some self-righteous scribes and priests.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:03 am

Psalm 15:1-2

"Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart."

Micah 6:8

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:57 am

I like this short passage for its message, but also because it's an interesting highlight of different translations:

Leviticus 19:16b

(King James Version)
"...neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour..."

(New International Version)
"Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor's life."

(Amplified Bible)
"...nor shall you {secure yourself by false testimony or by silence and} endanger the life of your neighbor."

(New Living Translation)
"Do not stand idly by when your neighbor’s life is threatened."

(Contemporary English Version)
"...never hesitate to speak up in court, especially if your testimony can save someone's life."

I have to say the NLT is my favorite, and is quickly becoming my preferred version. I like the grandeur and poeticism of the KJV of course, and it's great for reading Psalms and such, but the NLT renders things with clarity without sacrificing the formal equivalency that I've come to rely on in scripture, particularly for books/chapters/passages that deal with topics like history, the Law, prophecy, parables and the like. A great example is the story of the Judge Ehud; a reading of the KJV, while still providing you with the basic premise of the story (Ehud assassinates King Eglon of Moab) stands as nearly gibberish compared to the NLT rendering, again without sacrificing the 'majesty' of scripture that I think most KJV purists have become enamored with over the years. The greatest advantages for me have been in getting a much clearer vision in my mind of the historical context and a working understanding of the way the Old Testament leads to Christ; reading Leviticus/Deuteronomy from the KJV is like pulling teeth - but there's life to it in the NLT and I actually glean knowledge of not only what Mosaic law really was but why it existed.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:08 am

Also, in Acts 17, Paul has a debate with Epicurean and Stoic philosophers and even speaks before the Aeropagite; the same council before which Demosthenes spoke against Aristotle. Can you imagine having witnessed such a scene? The Apostle Paul debating theology, in Athens, at the philosophical heyday of Greece. The NLT even specifies "(It should be explained that all the Athenians as well as the foreigners in Athens seemed to spend all their time discussing the latest ideas.)"

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I have to say the NLT is my favorite, and is quickly becoming my preferred version. I like the grandeur and poeticism of the KJV of course, and it's great for reading Psalms and such, but the NLT renders things with clarity without sacrificing the formal equivalency that I've come to rely on in scripture
Just a note - the NLT is by no means a Formal Equivalence translation, nor does it claim to be so. That is a technical term, and may not mean what you intended to express.

I would suggest you check out the NRSV - it is an updated, very readable modern English translation which maintains formal equivalence, as well as nuances of the text which can add to , rather than overly-simplify, the meaning of the text. I am often wary of translations such as the NLT, tNIV, and THE MESSAGE, because many of their translation choices sacrifice accuracy in the name of conveying what the Translation Committees feel the meaning of the text should be. For those three translations, (NLT, tNIV, MESSAGE) there is a definite leaning towards Evangelical conventions and professions.

I've found people quoting translations like these in defense of behaviors, beliefs, or doctrines, when the underlying text actually has nothing to do with what's being professed!

While there are definitely merits to those translations (these selections you presented above express the ideas very well), There are some significant interpretative and symbolic elements of the text that are lost when the text is oversimplified.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 pm

I understand the difference between formal and dynamic equivalency; what I intended to say is that it doesn't (seem) (to me) to sacrifice a sense of accuracy for the sake of modernizing language or a denominational leaning. While there is never going to be a perfect translation of one language to any other, thus far I have not gotten any indication that there's been too much interpretive license taken. It doesn't claim to be formal equivalency, yet neither is it wholly dynamic. I would however be interested in any specific examples you can give of an interpretive liberty being taken. By no stretch of the imagination do I utilize a single version; it's ludicrous to rely on any one.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 03, 2010 2:46 pm

There is a passage in the NLT where is speaks of not eating meat if it scandalises your neighbour, but that one shouldn't be scandalised by eating meat. However, the translation in other versions specifies "meat sacraficed to idols." I thought that that was a fairly significant interpretative leap when I first came across it.

Don't get me wrong. I like the NLT as a devotional bible, and I think there's a lot of merit to the translation. But for dynamic/formal balance, I still prefer the NRSV (a descendent of the KJV) or the NASB. I also have a soft spot for the Jerusalem Bible, which is more of a dynamic translation - it has very beautiful poetry in the style of the KJV, but it's more accessible.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon May 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Hm.. I'd like to see the context for that first reference.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 pm

1 Corinthians 10.25ff.

That's the NASB, and the NLT at the same site is not exceedingly dissimilar, but EL was working with an older edition of the NLT.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon May 03, 2010 7:59 pm

I see. It's something to keep in mind, I suppose. I have to see/read things for myself, of course.

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 am

Poetically, I like Job 40:21 (I think that's the one)

"Under the trees it lies, in the secrecy of the reeds and the marsh..."

It's about Behemoth, and it has a "Eats, shoots and leaves" kind of ring to it.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:40 pm

For everyone (Christians, and non-Christians alike) who believe that there is no Biblical basis for environmentalism, or even that there is a Biblical basis for opposing environmentalism.
The nations were angry; and your wrath has come.
The time has come for judging the dead,
and for rewarding your servants the prophets
and your saints and those who reverence your name,
both small and great—
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed May 26, 2010 4:48 am

I've been rereading the Dhammapada lately. Chapter 13 in particular is a beauty.

The Dhammapada, chapter 13: "The World"

Don't practice an ignoble way of life, don't indulge in a careless attitude. Don't follow a wrong view, and don't be attached to the world.

Wake up and don't be careless, but lead a life of well-doing. He who follows righteousness lives happily in this world and the next.

Lead a life of righteousness, and not a life of wrong-doing. He who follows righteousness lives happily in this world and the next.

Look on the world as a bubble, look on it as a mirage. The King of Death never finds him who views the world like that.

Come, look at the world as a gilded royal carriage, in which fools get bogged down, while men of understanding have no attachment to it.

Even if previously careless, when a man later stops being careless, he illuminates the world, like the moon breaking away from a cloud.

When a man's bad deeds are covered over by good ones, he illuminates the world, like the moon breaking away from a cloud.

Blinded indeed is this world. Few are those who see the truth. Like a bird breaking out of the net, few are those who go to heaven.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:10 am

"For love is as strong as death is its jealousy as unyielding as the grave. It burns with a blazing fire, the mighty flame of Yah. Many waters cannot extinguish love nor can rivers wash it away." - Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"For I, Jehovah your God, am grasping your right hand, the One saying to you, ‘Do not be afraid. I myself will help you.’" - Isaiah 41:13

"The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet. He rebukes the sea and dries it up; he makes all the rivers run dry. Bashan and Carmel wither and the blossoms of Lebanon fade. The mountains quake before him and the hills melt away. The earth trembles at his presence, the world and all who live in it...The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him." - Nahum 1:3-5, 7
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Return to “Milagre Town Square”