Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 pm

If you're indifferent, it shouldn't matter if she likes you; enjoy the attention and leave it at that.

If it does matter, even if you'll do nothing about it, ask. There's nothing that says anything needs to come of it and it'll satisfy your curiosity.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm

I guess you can be a coward and do what Jeebs says or you can ask. However, playing that game would come across as indifference to me and I'd make it a point to move on.
It's not cowardly to remain aloof at the start. I understand that the courtship ritual works differently in America (Irish people rarely go on dates with someone that they've only had one conversation with) but I still think that it's universally true that it will help a situation like this if you don't rush into it because women only want you to rush in if they like you already.

Sure, if after a few days of my advice you're not getting anywhere, then you can go for it and initiate contact, but I believe that when you leave a little mystery about how you feel about someone it helps whether they like you or not. If they don't like you, there's always the chance they will come to like you, and getting an early rejection will certainly f*** that up. If they do like you, it makes them more keen to make you like them, which will also make them like you more when you show signs of being interested.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 pm

I've read incidents of people's highschool relationships thwarting their college plans. Of people going to a certain college, simply because it's close enough to their boy/girlfriend. However, what happens when you guys break up? After all, that's the main/real reason you chose that college? If the base of your decision is gone, where does that leave you?
Regretting going to a community college instead of your dream state university.
Yea, pretty much don't get into a relationship before college. In fact, my advice to you would be to not get in a relationship at all while in college.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Yea, pretty much don't get into a relationship before college. In fact, my advice to you would be to not get in a relationship at all while in college.
Good advice is good.
Also remember that relationships will distract you when you enter the job market, so don't have any relationship either when you are looking for job, or when you get to actually work.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:53 pm

So what I've gathered is

Don't have a relationship before college
During college
After college

so when can you?
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Like, when you retire, I guess. But don't have kids, they suck.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 pm

I've read incidents of people's highschool relationships thwarting their college plans. Of people going to a certain college, simply because it's close enough to their boy/girlfriend. However, what happens when you guys break up? After all, that's the main/real reason you chose that college? If the base of your decision is gone, where does that leave you?
That's going a bit too far...

Graff, Jebus is just trying to trick you into ending your gene pool. lol(assuming you don't have brothers and sisters)
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Hahaha what do you have against kids? Me I only like kids from 3- 9 and 13+.

Also if you don't have kids you can't increase the population or keep it constant.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:59 pm

That's going a bit too far...

Graff, Jebus is just trying to trick you into ending your gene pool. lol(assuming you don't have brothers and sisters)
Well, sure, take it more as something to strive for than anything else. I certainly failed at it, but that doesn't mean that college isn't 80 million times more awesome when you don't have a girlfriend.

And I wasn't trying to trick Graff, kids actually do suck. Why would anyone want some annoying little brat running around all over the place, and they only get worse as they age.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 pm

I'll keep your wise advice when I go to college in several years.

Anyone know what time zone Pweb is? The GMT time zone. I always wondered.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 pm

The specific reason I haven't been interested in girls here in High School, other than the fact my parents were like "NO GIRLFRIEND EVER SCHOOLFIRSTKTHNXBAI", was that I decided it'd just be smarter to wait and get a girlfriend in college.

So...

Plus, why would it be awesome without a girlfriend ('-' ) ?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Also if you don't have kids you can't increase the population or keep it constant.
Populations do not need to be increased or kept constant, they need to be decreased quickly.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Plus, why would it be awesome without a girlfriend ('-' ) ?
Will a cheesy, cliché buffet metaphor help you understand?

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:04 pm

That is the other view on the topic. I think it needs to be decreased by say...A billion in the next 10 years.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:07 pm

that doesn't mean that college isn't 80 million times more awesome when you don't have a girlfriend.
Young, impressionable boys, you have to understand that some people have different definitions of "awesome," "fun," "better/worse" and how you get that depends on yours. There is no universal college experience.

It is perfectly okay to have a girlfriend at any point of your life and still live an enjoyable one, if that's what you want.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Sure, I'm just offering my advice that college is for experimentation, finding out who you are and who you are going to be, and the best way to do this is to avoid a long-term relationship.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:11 pm

However, most people go through Erikson's Intimacy vs. Isolation stage around the time they are in college. At the age of 20-34.

So, I'm just gonna go with him. And triumph over the conflict. :)

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Yea, what he said, Erikson's Thingy.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Good choice.

I'll ask again

where is the GMT time zone in pweb?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Good choice.

I'll ask again

where is the GMT time zone in pweb?
Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:28 pm

I was too lazy to do that. Why would I if I could get you guys to give me the answer?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Because typing out the question actually requires more effort than simply putting "GMT" into Google and clicking on the first link.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Oh but then I have to get up and walk to the computer, or
press the new page Button on my iPod.actually I had forgotten about google and stuff. :oops:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Sure, I'm just offering my advice that college is for experimentation, finding out who you are and who you are going to be, and the best way to do this is to avoid a long-term relationship.
Best or easiest? There's a difference. I don't disagree with it being an opportune time to get to know yourself, given the sudden onset of independence nor do I want to argue that it isn't a pretty big stage in life for some, but people constantly evolve. People go through that phase you're describing in high school or in their late twenties or fourties or never. If you wait for the time when you stop figuring out who you are and stop figuring out who and what you're going to be to get into a relationship that involves more than taking a sample of this blonde and that brunette, you really will be waiting until post-retirement.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Disagree. College is unique in the freedom it offers and opportunities it provides, it is the best time to not just settle on one person and assume they are the bee's knees. Meeting lots of people helps you decide what kind of person you ultimately want to be with.

I was in a relationship for two and a half years while I was in college, and it wasn't 'till I broke up with her that I realised what an absolute mistake I had been making, and how much time I had been wasting with someone I was quite mismatched with.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Silly me, i spent my college time trying to figure Physics out! :shock:

I never actually bothered to figure myself out, don't see the point :lol:

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm in the process of getting ready for college.

Well, I love mathematics, as it's the only interest, other than using a computer, that has held over the years, and I already know most of Calculus I without being in a calculus course yet. Meh, people tell me that I'm obsessed and hyperfocused with mathematics, so I probably will get a degree in mathematics.

I have to score a composite score of 26 on the ACT, as then I can get into the University of North Texas without worrying about my class rank, which is right now in the 39th percentile with a 3.120 GPA at the end of sophomore year.

Now, having decided on a university and a major, I'm stuck on the financial aid part... How am I going to pay for college out of state?
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Sonic, mind if I ask why you're interested in UNT? I live in Texas, and I had barely heard of it before last year. All I know about it is it's known for its film school, specifically for documentaries. And if you're as good as you say you are, you shouldn't have any trouble making a 26 on the ACT. It's not too bad.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't want to go into my private life... Of course, there are other reasons. One of my reasons is that I only need to follow Interstate 35 from Minneapolis to Denton to get there. Another reason is to meet new people. A third reason is because it's in Silicon Prairie.

I have no doubts about the math section of the ACT, just double-check work. I'd be very dissatisfied if I don't score at least a 30 on the mathematics section. I know this because on practice ACT tests I have taken, I've scored at least a 30 every time. I'm more concerned about the reading and, uh, I forgot the other section that isn't science. Science is mostly data and experimentation, and I'm good with that kind of stuff - I know because I've been getting over 100% on my tests thanks to the bonus problem, which I get right due to my work ethic. I have a harder time with analysis of literature because of Asperger syndrome, I take a lot of things literally. For me, one equation, one answer. If that equation is hidden, how can I find the answer?
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Or, as Sean from Good Will Hunting would say, "I have to go see about a girl."

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Oh, gotcha. =]

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Random: I owe 85% of the things I am today to decisions & loves I gained when I was 12/13. ****. That was much too long ago to have such a visceral attachment to them/it/him, with intervening years, passions, college degrees, state lines, etc in between.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Just got a call a couple of hours ago from my friend who was visiting a small college off in another state. He says "Hey, I met you're friend, here he is" then I hear the phone exchange hands, and what do you know, eriador is on the other end. How coincidental! My friend just happened to apply to that college and get in, he happens to take a trip there, happens to be wearing a shirt with my town on it, happens to walk past Seth, who happens to remember that's where I live after over a year since we've talked, and of course is the outgoing type who asks...

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:04 am

As much as I hate arrogant grammar/spelling-related intellectualism... I still found this pretty funny; at least, the "alot". Hehe, "I care about this alot".
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:09 am

It's so adorable, no? "I'm sad, alot..."
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”