Crafty Craftiness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Ooooh, pretty, Twinny. :mrgreen: Be a doll and explain how these kits work?

Bookmaking always reminds me of illuminated letters -thanks to Cornelia Funke's Ink series - which I <3.
So I should keep reading, Alea? I got a few chapters in and got sidetracked.
It's a strange series, to be honest. I started reading the first and was pushing myself through it in parts, which is not exactly a good thing. On the whole, I'd say it was a net positive since I was curious enough to read the second -which I considered to be filler and weaker than the first- but just barely so. I thought the third was the best executed and most interesting, and it is the one that I most actively enjoyed. I think that means I hesitantly recommend trying to finish the first. If you like that, I think book two is worth going through to get to the third.

This kit basically just came with the pages (which i've been reading up on and they sound pretty easy to make, or at least attempt) and the hard cover's for the book.
So the pages came bound together already? How hard would it be to bind them if you make the pages yourself?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm

The kit did come with the pages already bound, but from what i've been reading online binding them yourself shouldn't be too hard. It'll probably take a lot of practice and such, but I plan on learning that next.

I'm going to start with glue binding, then once i'm pretty comfortable with that head into stitch binding.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 pm

My current "when I'm not busy with school work" project! It's very flat at the moment.. but I will go back and put shadows on it after everything has one coat of paint on it!

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 pm

I like that "The Enemy's Gate is Down" touch. very artistic.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Does this count at Crafty Craftiness? Ah well. The fact that these came from my hands, via a pencil, looking at a real object, astounds me. It's as if I'm erasing a blank page when I draw lately! Yay, art class!

A rose, drawing contour lines only, that I had on my desk from Valentines Day:

A stemmed glass, filled with water, sitting on my desk, trying to draw only values:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:20 pm

That reminded me of the best thing I ever drew, which isn't saying much since I'm not an artist. :) I was in 9th grade and it was 1991, so don't tease me about the subject matter. For those of you too young to know who it is, it's Jason Priestley (of 90210 fame). It's pretty big, 18" by 24".

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Nomi--that's incredible!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks! It was entered in some local hs art show, so I had to get it framed which is why it has lasted these 18 years (wow, I'm old!).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Oh my goodness. That's unbelievable. Seriously amazing. You did that with a pencil? Charcoal? Magical powers?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm

That is amazing. Nice work! :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Charcoal. The teacher had us use a technique where you drew it upside down, which worked really well with my brain for some reason.

eta: Oh, and I think we also used a grid drawn over the original photo and very lightly traced on the large picture. I always felt like using these techniques was kind of cheating...so I feel like I can't take much credit for the picture. Like it was more science than art. :)

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Oh, man, the upside-down black and white technique is the absolute best for reproducing images when drawing. What proof do you need beyond your drawing? It's awesome!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 pm

I think we also used a grid drawn over the original photo and very lightly traced on the large picture. I always felt like using these techniques was kind of cheating
I think it's a great practice tool and isn't cheating at all. It's taking one picture, creating tons of smaller ones, and you're still expected to get the dimensions and shape of it from a look or it will appear to be off. I've used the grid technique in a drafting class (on a car rather than a face) and although it was close, it was definitely off.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 pm

This is the valance I made for baby girl's room. I think I'm going to make a new cover for my boppy pillow and a blanket out of the same fabric because I just adore it!

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 am

That's really cute fabric!

This poster among two others was my project for today! I figure people here would be most likely to appreciate it, though. My school administration rarely acknowledges our academic achievements. Even though almost every person on the BPA team made it to the state competition for the past three years and we've had increasing numbers making it to nationals. Even though our robotics team has for the last four years placed 3rd in the state competition where we're generally the only public school to even place. Even though our science bowl team just secured a spot in the national science bowl competition. I'm not bitter, I swear.

But in my own small way to raise awareness for our academic team about to compete at the district meet, I made this poster to hang in our school. =]

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:22 pm

I need to clean it up, especially the big, black blob in the upper left corner, but that is what I've done on my door thus far.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Very nice! Good job. :)

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm

That's really pretty! I'm envious. Did you do that all free hand? I have the amazing inability to paint without me drawing out what I'm painting first. And then I have to have a picture before I can draw anything, anyway.. The only thing I find I can draw without guidance is letters. Anything else just doesn't really look right..

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks, but don't be; I too need to see a picture of what I'm drawing and draw before the paint even gets opened up. I did do some without drawing it first and there was an awful lot of improvising on swirl placement due to size restrictions (I eyeballed the big flower all wrong -> made it too big) but basically, I am terrified of painting off the cuff because I suck at it. :mrgreen:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:55 pm

That's awesome Twinny! I've been feeling kinda crafty lately, but I don't know what to do. I bought a little set of cheap pastels the other day and I was thinking of experimenting with those (I literally haven't touched any since elementary school).

I just don't even know how to start.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 pm

I am just in awe over the artistic talent that everyone here has! Can someone please spare just a little bit of talent for me?

Anyways, here's what I've been working on. These flowers will go up on the wall in the baby's room with some green fabric leaves and some stems. They've been a lot of work, cutting, coordinating, ironing, and stitching, but I think they'll look really cute in her room!

Joann's didn't have anymore of the fabric I was going to use to recover my boppy pillow, so this is what I picked out yesterday. As soon as Brian fixes my sewing machine, I'll be making that and some curtains for the boy's room.

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:19 pm

The upper left-hand flower is my favorite but they're all very nice. I think you're doing just fine in the talent department. :) I can't wait to see the whole room, by the way. The little peeks show a very pretty space.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Lately I've been painting lead figurines for tabletop RPGs. They're pretty crappily done, so I'm not posting pictures, but they are very fun to do. So far I've done two for our game of Cyberpunk 2020 (which no one has specific figurines for due to it not being very popular, but I reappropriated some from Shadowrun) and one for our game of D&D 3.5.

Really fun, difficult stuff. It's annoying how you can only find figurines for halfling rouges, though. Apparently poor hobbitses are never anything but.

Row--row.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Mich, was it you who posted about the paper craft? My friend just presented a paper craft Lucario to me as a late Christmas present. It's so cool!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Mich, was it you who posted about the paper craft? My friend just presented a paper craft Lucario to me as a late Christmas present. It's so cool!
:D They're super-fun to make! I thought about making a different one for each of my friends, but they're so time-consuming (and super-glue consuming. I wreck about a tube a craft).

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't know if this counts as crafty, per se, but it turned out so pretty that I wanted to show it off. I made my first moss terrarium using four different types of moss that I found in my yard. This has been a project I've been wanting to do for awhile but I had to wait for all the snow to melt. The glass jar does have a lid but I left it off for the picture. Now we'll see if I can keep it alive!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:48 pm

:D

Moss terrariums (terraria?) are kinda awesome! I love it!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:06 pm

I think I've been playing too many video games lately, but that totally reminds me of a little world.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 pm

I think I've been playing too many video games lately, but that totally reminds me of a little world.
*waters Rose* *looks for baobab saplings*

Thanks for bringing back those memories! :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Now that you mentioned that, it really reminds me of Grow....
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:46 pm

I got your DS case today, Jan! It's even better in real-life.

I have selected a model to craft in return and you'll get it, um, eventually. It's not the most difficult one I've done, but I need to stock up on supplies, then figure out a safe way to ship it.

Row--row.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 pm

*double post*

Be expecting something in the mail within the next 6-10 days, Jan! Wooooooo.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm

YAY!!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Well, it's been a while, but I'm back in the swing of things. I've been having fun with wire!

I'd really welcome some feedback on these, since I'm thinking of opening an etsy store, and I'd like a jewellery category. I'm thinking maybe a $10 price-point for the first two, and possibly $15 for the third. Keep in mind they're first attempts and will probably gain better shapes as I keep working. And, sorry about the photo quality. I suck at close-up photos.

"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I like them a lot. What metal is the wire and ear hooks? I ask because for myself, I only like sterling silver so you might want to look into making some out of that too. You can get really good prices on wire and findings (with cheap shipping even to Canada) here: http://www.artbeads.com/

I have two etsy shops, one for my earpins and one for crochet stuff. I have found that the best way to make some initial sales is to have something as unique as possible AND price wicked cheap. Also, don't expect to make much money out of it but just think of it as a hobby or for fun.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”