Favorite Enderverse quotes

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
StrivingForSatyagraha
Launchie
Launchie

Postby StrivingForSatyagraha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:28 pm

I have two here, the first struck me as amazingly true, and the second just funny

"I suppose. So what do i do? Go join up with the Filhosuntil the fleet gets here and blows us all to hell?" -Ender
"You do what I do." -Miro
"What's that?" -Ender
"You take in a breath. You let it out. Then you take another." -Miro
"I can do that. I've been doing that since I was little." -Ender
Xenocide-Page 380

"Now you're bragging. Showing off your bodily functions." -Jane
"Alimentation. Respiration. Excretion. We can do things you can't do" -Ender
"In other words, you can't think very well, but at least you can eat and breath and sweat" -Jane
"Thats right." -Miro
Xenocide-Page 393
And I always wonder-- Where is my Briseis

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Sorry, I'm bumping this.

"I've got a hint for you. Try to win. They think that's important."- Bean, ES, page 325.

I know someone has most likely said this one, but...

"Cover your butt. Bernard is watching. - God"
"I love your butt. Let me kiss it. - Bernard." EG Pages 50-51
Classics.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 pm

"Ooh. Ooh. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. Ender squished a capper-tiller and now he's gonna squish me."

"I love you Ender. More than ever. No matter what you choose."

"And the boy has a soul of a jackal."

"Two farting armies! We'll whip their butts!"

"What are they doing to us? They be crazy, neh?"

"If you arm isn't steady, freez your elbows. Now move!"

Ender-I'm helping you.
Bean- Like hell.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Rodaka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rodaka » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

There is a quote that I can't find, though I will as I reread the book soon after I refinish Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide, but in Children of the Mind someone, I think it's Malu, says something about gods.

Something about a true god being one who helps others to become as great as the god, and pushing them to surpass what even the god could do.

It's one of my most memorable, though me being me, I fail to know the exact words that were used.

"But they knew from that day forward who the piggies were, just as the readers of the Hive Queen had understood the buggers, and the readers of the Hegemon had understood humankind in its endless quest for greatness in a wilderness of separation and suspicion."
"I once heard a tale of a man who split himself in two. The one part never changed at all; the other grew and grew. The changeless part was always true, the growing part was always new, and I wondered, when the tale was through, which part was me, and which was you."

Larka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Larka » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 pm

"These are the mysteries," Petra said in a deep whisper."Do not pry into them. Terrible things happened to the last soldier who tried. He was discovered hanging by his feet from the ceiling of the bathroom, with his head stuffed in the toilet."

Petra - EG

"Come, little boy," she said. "The battleroom is ready. Petra's hands are steady. The enemy is deadly".."Petra the poet, they call me."
"They also say you're crazy as a loon."

Petra + Ender - EG

"...But look at Bonzo, your old commander. He's got an advanced case of Spanish honor."

Dink - EG

"He's crazy. They're all crazy."
"And you aren't?"
"I be crazy too, little buddy, but at least when I be craziest, I be floating all alone in space and the crazy, she float out of me, she soaks into the walls, and she don't come out till there be battles and little boys bump into the walls and squish out de crazy."
"And you be crazy too."

Dink + Ender - EG

"I destroy them. I make it impossible for them to ever hurt me again. I grind them and grind them until they don't exist."

Ender - EG

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm not sure how to start a poll, but I think we should vote on Best Quote from Enderverse. My vote goes to "Be the Shoe"
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

j
Launchie
Launchie

Postby j » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 pm

There are so many great quotes! One of my favorites is, "Nature can't evolve a species that hasn't a will to survive," (253). I love that this could relate to the buggers, Ender, children, and myself! haha.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Ok, so maybe two separate Polls. Funniest quote, and most significantly true quote.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Coach37
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Coach37 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Coming to the party a little late here. Most of my favorite quotes have been covered but I'm surprised one of my all time favorites hasn't been posted. So here it is:

"Perhaps it isn't gravity that holds us to earth but some unknown force with identical properties."

Spoken in Shadow of the Hegemon during the conversation between Bean and Carlotta regarding whether it is Achilles trying to kill them or not.

I use this all the time when someone disagrees with something I feel is self evident.

joetraff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby joetraff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:24 am

"The enemy's gate is down"

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 am

Oooh! Newbie!!

Welcome to Pweb, Joetraff. :)

“‘I’ll carry you,’ said Ender, ‘I’ll go from world to world until I find a time and a place where you can come awake in safety. And I’ll tell your story to my people, so that perhaps in time, they can forgive you, too. The way that you’ve forgiven me.’”
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Two more good quotes, short and simple. Both from Ender's Shadow.

"Know, think, choose, do."

"Be the shoe."
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

^^Graff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ^^Graff » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:58 am

"I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will ever tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the only rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher."
"One is never too old to be a student of the enemy. I have learned from the buggers. You will learn from me."
Mazer Rackham

shovel
Launchie
Launchie

balls

Postby shovel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:06 pm

"Yes, and Theresa, you were wrong. He does have balls." John Paul, in Shadow Puppets.

It might not be accurate with the English text, I'm translating from the Spanish translation, but I hope it's good enough.

It's a funny phrase to finish a funny conversation, in my opinion. It's a situation where the Wiggin parents talk to their son as the real brainies they are...and again he just doesn't listen.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:55 am

"The Road Goes On Without Him Now."
"But I pray that God will let me die first this time."
"If that's love, then I love you."
"Am I Betraying Ender?"
"Life Is A Sucidal Mission."

All these from Children of the Mind.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

MisterQwerty
Launchie
Launchie

Postby MisterQwerty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:28 am

"Babies fear being eaten."
</spoilers>

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm

"Has anyone ever told your your smile can melt steel?"
"That's inconvenient on a spaceship. I'll smile less."
- Val and Ender, Ender in exile

"I'm cheap and you're rich"
- Jane, investment consultant

"Ender, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know how it feels, I'm sorry. I'm your brother, I love you."
- Peter, Ender's game

Locke Delphiki
Launchie
Launchie

My favorite Quote

Postby Locke Delphiki » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 pm

"You cried for Poke, and that makes us friends." Bean to Petra-Ender's Shadow
Share this dragon. If you do, lucky end for them and you.

Bidoof
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bidoof » Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 pm

"The most noble title any child can have is 'Third'" - Valentine, Ender's Game

"O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for thee, O Absalom, my son. My sons!" - Bean, Ender's Shadow (Well, technically I guess it's from the Bible, but Bean said it, so there it is.)

"But Quim thinks I'm an infidel, and prays every day for me to die." - Andrew Wiggin, Speaker for the Dead

kawser555

Postby kawser555 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 am

Nice Information.I have bookmarked your site to learn more. Thanks.

Lemonade Ice Queen
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Favorite Enderverse quotes

Postby Lemonade Ice Queen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm surprised this isn't already up here:
"Were the wicked witch. We promise gingerbread, but we eat the little bastards alive."
-Graff

Jinxletandcake
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jinxletandcake » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:15 pm

"I'll try not to get killed. I still have things to do."
- Ender in Ender in Exile

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re:

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Coming to the party a little late here. Most of my favorite quotes have been covered but I'm surprised one of my all time favorites hasn't been posted. So here it is:

"Perhaps it isn't gravity that holds us to earth but some unknown force with identical properties."

Spoken in Shadow of the Hegemon during the conversation between Bean and Carlotta regarding whether it is Achilles trying to kill them or not.

I use this all the time when someone disagrees with something I feel is self evident.
good idea
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

dpito
Launchie
Launchie

Postby dpito » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 am

The best lines are from the SotD trilogy:

1) CotM)(Human): Life is how God gives purpose to the universe.
2) SftD)(Ender): Humans doubt everything, except those things which we truly believe. Those things, we never think to question.
3) SftD)(and 1/2 page below the last quote)(Human, quoting Speaker's HQ: Sickness and healing are in every heart, death and deliverance are in every hand.
4) SftD)(next quote from Ender) Both Human Though.
The next three quotes do not stand alone. But if you have read and internalized SotD, you will appreciate:
5) SftD) Bosquinha, " Only a wise man could see my people so clearly. Only a ruthless one would say it out loud. Your virtue and your flaw- we need them both.
6) SftD) Ouanda , "That was the mass for my father's soul."
7) SftD) Novinha, " (you are) Compassionate enough to put the hot iron into the wound when that's the only way to heal it.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm

"oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"-Petra Arkian (quoting her father) Enders Shadow

"and you're such a gentleman that you always open a door for a lady"-Petra Arkian, Shadow of the Hegemon

spoiler from SotH
when Petra is kidnapped by Achilles and he opens the door of the plane which is in flight
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

buggerslayer69
Launchie
Launchie

Postby buggerslayer69 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

“The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can’t kill then you are always subject to those that can, and nothing and no one will ever save you”- Peter. This was after Ender killed Bonzo, and I thought that this statement couldn't be any more true no matter what time you live in. Obviously there is a fine line between a psycho killer and someone who doesn't take any grief from anyone, but in my mind if you're not competitive and willing to do things that other people aren't willing to do than you won't be successful.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”