Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Postby Satya » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:33 pm

What video game(s) are you currently playing?

I'm playing Assassin's Creed II and Dragon Age: Origins for PS3. Just finished DA:O and am starting a second playthrough.

I like ACII but, while they fixed much of the problems with the first, it's still a bit repetitious and I got bored so I had to pick up something else.

DA:O is kickass. Basically like they threw Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic and Lord of the Rings into a blender and what came out didn't suck. I wish it had an in-battle tactics system like KOTOR but the pre-battle tactics system is sufficient, I suppose. First went through as basic human noble sword/shield tank, trying now with a human female mage.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Since I'm near-broke, after spending most of my cash on driving lessons; I don't have an Xbox, Wii, or PS3, just the regular old PS2; and my computer is pretty lousy when it comes to advanced graphics and video games -

- Currently, I'm mostly playing Peggle Nights, downloaded for free (after registering for free) at Popcap.com. A good, fun game to pass the time.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Since my laptop's currently in the hands of Asus Warranty, I've been playing the backlog of old console games I've accumulated over the years. I finally played Shadow of the Colossus, which was stupendous. Amazing. Best game I've played in ages. Then last night I beat Beyond Good & Evil, which was not as good as every has said. Repetitious stealth gameplay, a plot that seems to be going places and then doesn't, characters that are likable and funny but don't develop anywhere interesting. I enjoyed it, but it was rather bland (except for visually, that was quite entertaining).

For PC I was working on my Mass Effect 2 Insanity run. Man, is that game awesome. The only thing I didn't like was not having a million drops to sort over and debate internally which was the best. I love that kind of inventory management, and am sad to see it replaced by a simple "You found an upgrade for SMGs! It is the second upgrade, and you will never find a better one! All SMGs are now upgraded to do more damage."

DA:O is pretty awesome, Satya, and I'm excited to see them do the game save carry over that they did with ME2 for DA2.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm extremely slowly making my way through FFVII, which I started last summerish.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 pm

woot! 30 extra lives, i can finish contra!

well i keep playing what i have been playing for more than a year now XD WoW

Soonish i intend to get one Tales of... for Wii, though.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Sins of a Solar Empire - on PC. Don't play on my PS3 anymore - tired of a breaking PSP, the PC is my best friend. lol...
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Rise of Nations on PC
Valhalla Knights on PSP/PS3
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

woot! 30 extra lives, i can finish contra!

well i keep playing what i have been playing for more than a year now XD WoW

Soonish i intend to get one Tales of... for Wii, though.
The Wii Symphonia sequel was not that great, if that's what you're thinking. At least, in my opinion. The new Tales looks like it should be fun, though, assuming they export it. Do you ever have any importing problems with PAL, Jota?

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I finished another Mario64 120-star game a little bit ago. I'm in the middle of unlocking the extra track in Extreme G (can't find the memory pack that has it unlocked...). I was in the middle of '00 Agent'ing Goldeneye a little while ago, but started playing Mario 64; I should probably finish that sometime.

There are more modern consoles in the apartment, but I like the n64, so I play the n64.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Question: does the PS3 have a region limit? (meaning I can't play PAL games on my NTSC PS3 and vice versa)

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:00 am

Importing problems? not me, i don't import because my wii is not chipped lol. I don't think non-PAL games work on it.
If what you mean is if they convert games to PAL, luckily that problem is a matter of the past, most of rpgs that arrive to america, arrive at europe too.
^^

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 am

"regions" as in "DVD regions" like region 1 etc, is different than NTSC/PAL problems. I believe PS3 games are regionless, meaning they don't artificially restrict where you can play/purchase games, but there are some NTSC/PAL issues.

This suggests it'll be fine if you have a tv supporting 720p.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:27 am

So basically, if I buy a NTSC to PAL converter and use it to connect my PS3 to my TV, I can play whatever I want - both NTSC and PAL games? (I don't know if I have 720p; I believe I don't, mainly because it's more expensive.)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:25 pm

"Probably". I would guess that something like that would work, but I've never used such a device... and it would seem like the only way you have to test this is to buy an NTSC game, which would be a rather annoying way to find out it doesn't work. If you're willing to risk the cost, then go for it.

dgf hhw

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:04 am

For PC I was working on my Mass Effect 2 Insanity run. Man, is that game awesome. The only thing I didn't like was not having a million drops to sort over and debate internally which was the best. I love that kind of inventory management, and am sad to see it replaced by a simple "You found an upgrade for SMGs! It is the second upgrade, and you will never find a better one! All SMGs are now upgraded to do more damage."
I've just started playing through ME2 myself and I don't like the new tech/weapon system as much either. But everything else is just so polished, how can I hold it against them?
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 am

I have heard though, that ME2 doesn't have such a strong RP muscle as the first one had, which is what is holding me from giving it a try.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 am

Go with Dragon Age, jota. =)

I'm spoiled from the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, so I don't give DA a great RP grade, but it's still damn good. A B+

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 am

Go with Dragon Age, jota. =)

I'm spoiled from the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, so I don't give DA a great RP grade, but it's still damn good. A B+
I am a fan of the KotOR style, what i call RP is more about telling a story.
In any case, i just read the wiki and it looks like like a good recomendation :D thanks!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 am

One of these days I need to get around to actually doing the main quest chain in Oblivion. I had a level 20-something that had done the fighters and mages guilds and the arena, was working on the thieves guild and dark brotherhood, but hadn't even bothered to take the amulet to Jauffre yet.
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Oblivion is for kiddies. Morrowind is where it's at, boys. Although I did love the assassination quests...

Row--row.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:42 pm

"Probably". I would guess that something like that would work, but I've never used such a device... and it would seem like the only way you have to test this is to buy an NTSC game, which would be a rather annoying way to find out it doesn't work. If you're willing to risk the cost, then go for it.
The reason I'm asking is because buying a NTSC game off the internet, shipping included, is much cheaper here than buying a PAL game (it's also like that with the PS3; buying a NTSC PS3 and a NTSC-to-PAL converter off Ebay, shipping included, is cheaper than buying a PS3 here), but I also want to be able to borrow PAL games from my friends and play them on my PS3.

In short: if I choose to go through with this, I need to have a large amount of money, and a lot of place for wires of several kinds. But it's better, IMO, than paying 680$ for a PS3 and 2 games :o

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Oblivion is for kiddies. Morrowind is where it's at, boys. Although I did love the assassination quests...
Assuming that we didn't play III before IV?

Anywayz, yeah DA is KOTOR bred with LOTR. Good s***.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am

Can you collect corpses in your house in Morrowind?

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 am

Can you collect corpses in your house in Morrowind?
YES.

You know the millions of follow quests? Or the console command to make an NPC follow you? You could have the NPC follow you into your house, then kill them and never get rid of the corpse.

If that mod project to recreate Morrowind in Oblivion's engine ever finished, I would be pleased as a peach.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Well, no, I don't know, since I haven't seen much of Morrowind.

And that doesn't carry penalties for murdering innocents? Or is that just something in Oblivion?

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 am

Guys, I left my DS with Scribblenauts in it in the seat pocket of an airplane. Your video game talk makes me want to cry.

But! I still have my Gamecube, on which I played Soul Calibar II this weekend. Man, I love that game.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:25 am

And that doesn't carry penalties for murdering innocents? Or is that just something in Oblivion?
We-eeeell... you could always taunt them into attacking you, thus the murder carries no penalties. Or kill them, drop everything you own, and turn yourself in. Or pay it off through the Thieves Guild.
Guys, I left my DS with Scribblenauts in it in the seat pocket of an airplane. Your video game talk makes me want to cry.
:( I would cry. I've been playing through The World Ends With You for my second time on mine, trying to get all of the pins and secret reports. If I could, I would send you a new one.

Row--row.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:50 am

Dreamed last night that I bought an n64 for $4.50 and Donkey Kong 64 for $1.50.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:38 am

Dreamed last night that I bought an n64 for $4.50 and Donkey Kong 64 for $1.50.
Sounds like a well spent 6 bucks.

I am currently playing through God of War, with II and III waiting in the wings. I also have a game of Dragon Age:Origins which I haven't gotten that far in and have been severely neglecting. I think I might just start a new one.

There is also a sprinkling of NHL 10 in there when I feel the need along with any old school NES/SNES game I have on my compy.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm

My school is having a Mario Kart 64 tournament. I'm really wondering if staff members are allowed to participate. I could totally show those young whippersnappers how it's done. I was kicking ass at MK64 when they were still learning how to spell their names :D .
Last edited by neo-dragon on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm

But can you refrain from cursing/yelling when you get hit by a blue spiny shell?

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:26 am

Monday Night Combat looks interesting, though part of me wonders if any of the "zomg it's a TF2 clone!!1!1" idiots even noticed the rather obvious (and awesome) parody of NFL broadcasting in recent years. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this to see if the finished product is anywhere near as awesome as the trailer.

Also, what the animator does in his spare time is pretty damn awesome as well. (I actually stumbled across the game from his personal videos.)
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:42 am

I'm in the City de Trees for Spring Break, and my friend with a PS3 said that I needed to play Heavy Rain while I was down. Took about ten hours, and it was amazing. Immersive, characters you grow to really care for, extremely, extremely painful moments... and both good and bad endings. No Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit for you non-US folks) syndrome here. I wish I could do multiple playthroughs, as my favorite character died in an extremely anti-climactic way because I messed up multiple times, but I can't.

Row--row.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:56 pm

(double post!!!1!!)

I said I wasn't going to, because it makes me feel like such a man-child, but my friend talked me into purchasing... Pokémon SoulSilver. And it's... it's... great. Just as expected.

Just. As. Expected. I'm such a sucker.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:02 pm

There's been a lot of FF XIII in our apartment lately. Two of my flatmates are collectively at around 30-40 hours (from one disc), and they are not here on weekends, and during the week have class.

...which isn't really too surprising or uncommon around here. The part that's different this time is that FF XIII is probably the most dull Final Fantasy game I've ever seen. And that's saying something for Final Fantasy (though I like some of them, I don't think I'd say they were 'exciting'). It's the most linear one I've seen, the storyline is a complete mess at least in the beginning[1], and the battle system is... pretty normal. It seems like a neat battle system at first, until it becomes obvious that most of the time you're going to just be hitting the same button over and over. Which, admittedly, isn't too different than most of my FF experience.

Maybe it's just the shiny that makes it possible to play for that long. I don't know.

[1] The dialogue in the first few chapters just sounds like "fal'cie! l'cie! psicom! l'cie! nora! piscom! pulse! cocoon! l'cie! nora! fal'cie!" to me, without really knowing what any of those are. I liked Dom Nguyen's way of putting it:
Final Fantasy starts in media res, which is supposed to mean "In the middle of things," but in this case actually means "In a really unnecessarily confusing fashion."
Edit:
Just. As. Expected
justasplanned.jpg

dgf hhw

Return to “Milagre Town Square”