The Meta Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

The Meta Thread

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:53 pm

This is the meta thread. About pweb, on pweb.

So, how do you check your pweb?

Do you have a bookmark? If so, does it go to the front page or straight to a sub-forum?
Do you check threads at random? Top down? Bottom up?
Do you use the little orange clicky box at the front of the thread when it's new, or do you click on the most recent post?
Any threads that you never check?
How often do you check?
Etc... etc...

For me:
I have a bookmark (a button at the top of my browser) that goes straight to Milagre, I almost always check threads by the orange clicky box from the top down, unless there is something specific I'm interested in.
I rarely, if ever, check the sports thread or the work out thread.
I check compulsively. At least three-twenty times a day, probably more. It's often open in a tab while I do other stuff.

And.... GO!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:04 pm

I have a bookmark that takes me to the front page. I click on the thread title or the last page of the thread and skim as a scroll to the most recent post. This way I sometimes catch things that I missed. I usually check threads that interest me or someone of interest had the most recent post. Then I check the rest from bottom to top. Milagre is usually the only forum I check (so maybe I should change my bookmark) and I don't ever really go into the Currently Playing thread. I'll pop in there from time to time and I'll also check out some of the sub-forums once in a while. This usually happens when I'm extremely bored. I check the most during the week while at work. Probably at least once an hour. I also check sporadically at night and on the weekends.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:20 pm

I don't bookmark it, and I have the auto complete thingy turned off, so I type in the full url every time.

And here's the freaky part... I visit pweb so habitually whenever I'm on the internet that sometimes I literally type in the url and hit enter without conscious thought. The other day I sat at a computer at work and was thinking to myself, 'okay, no more visiting pweb at work, I have too much stuff to do. I have to check my email, then print out that file, then I have to...' and that's when I realized I was reading the forum index. I honest to God did not mean to pull up the site and was genuinely alarmed when I realized that I had done it without noticing.
Last edited by neo-dragon on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:23 pm

And here's the freaky part... I visit pweb so habitually whenever I'm on the internet that sometimes I literally type in the url and hit enter without conscious thought.
I do similar things. I click the bookmark when I'm already on the page. Also, any time I sit down at a keyboard, I often type "J" without really thinking. I gues I'm obessesed with my own name.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 pm

It's been my home page for years. It's my nice friendly welcome to the internet. :) I don't know how many times each day I'm here. I mostly browse Milagre, might pop into the Ender threads every now and then, and I keep an eye on the religion forum.

I still don't like the Currently Reading/Listening threads, and ignore them. For all I know, they've devolved into the "Bash EL" threads and I'm living in blissful ignorance.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:36 pm

I saved the page after my log-in onto my desktop. now, whenever I want to talk, I just click on the icon, and I automatically go to the site and get logged on.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Do you have a bookmark? If so, does it go to the front page or straight to a sub-forum?
Do you use the little orange clicky box at the front of the thread when it's new, or do you click on the most recent post?
How often do you check?
Pweb's front page is my homepage, which can be awkward when someone asks to use my computer (albeit, that rarely happens).

I always keep 2-11 tabs -most important to least important, left to right with Pweb the very farthest to the left- on Firefox and have it set to save them when I reopen Firefox. Because of this, I can go off and play on other sites and always have Pweb at my disposal.

If you're expecting a number of times I check Pweb on any given day, you're going to be disappointed because I don't know. As it is, I really don't play at many sites online, I just play an awful lot on a few, so when I'm done at those places, I switch back to Pweb, grab a book/walk around my house/watch tv/etc, and refresh Pweb every 5-60 minutes, depending on movement trends when I first checked and mood.

I will typically check bottom to top but make exceptions for threads I'm particularly interested in. I click on the orange paper to take me to the spot I left off.

Just looking at the first page in Milagre, the only thread I don't check is the Dr. Who. If we have a BG thread, I don't check that, either. For the most part, I read everything outside the Game forum, which I check pretty sporadically.

Posting habits...I tend to think I'd hate myself if I were not me on Pweb; this is due to the pessimism and emo-ness I so thoroughly spread, not to mention the fact that I can be quite recognizably passive-aggressive.

Confessions name still drives me nuts but some of you have been very kind about flagging some of those posts. That has made me feel massive warm fuzzies, even if I don't think it's necessary or wise to play into my neuroses. *grin*

Okay then, I think I should stop there, otherwise I risk adding (more) stuff that has no place in here.

Fun thread, Jan.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:12 pm

I have a bookmark saved to the front page.
I admit to checking PWeb at least five times a day on the weekend, and as much as I can on weekdays.
I normally check from top, down at first. Once I'm at a list of threads, I just click whatever looks interesting to me, which is normally whatever has been more active, and then whatever else I feel like looking at.
I do check the game threads, but not as much as I used to.

Then, when I feel like it, I post a bit, leaving a trail behind of my extreme awesomeness and youth.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

I have it bookmarked to the front page (although i'm not really sure why, I never stray from Milagre).

Then I start from the top and check threads as I go down, usually skipping things like the workout thread or the Doctor Who thread. Things that don't really interest me.

I check almost every thread, but hardly post.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Re: The Meta Thread

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 pm

How often do you check?
No bookmark, but I just have to type "p" and it autocompletes to the front page.

I generally check threads bottom up, starting in Milagre and then moving to the other forums. When I'm really busy, I'll just check the favorites in Milagre and (hope to) go back later to read the rest and, quite often, don't check the other forums at all.

I usually just click the latest page of the thread.

I always skip spoiler threads when it's something I haven't read/watched, mostly because they're things I have every intention to getting around to at some point.

The frequency of checking really depends on the week. Some weeks are busier than others, leaving less time to check. Some days it could be 40+ times. Some days it could be zero.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:20 pm

I probably check once a day or so, sometimes less depending on what is going on. I mostly lurk, though. Obviously. I probably only read 3 or 4 threads at a time.

I have a link to the front page in my favorites.

Oh, and I also tend to look at a few people's profiles and find their recent posts, especially if I haven't checked in a while.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:36 am

Pweb is my homepage, as it has been for as long as I remember setting my homepage to anything. Browser is configured to start with the tabs that were open when it was last closed, though, so pweb doesn't usually appear on it. I just like clicking a 'home' icon to come here.

I usually check exactly once a day, as one of the last things I do before going to sleep (but this time varies a lot). There are many exceptions when I can't check for various reasons; I'm not sure if I ever check more than once a day.

All new threads that are in forums I check are opened in a tab each, from bottom to top, by clicking the last page (not with the thing to the left). I check all forums except those in the jeesh lounge. I do at least skim all threads (in the checked forums), but some I don't really pay attention to. I would skip them, but one time someone made an awesome simpsons/poochie reference that I caught while skimming. I don't want to risk missing something like that again, though I honestly don't think it's a useful attitude...

The threads I don't usually pay much attention to are ones on sports, specific tv shows, or almost anything in the religion/science forums (I now realize).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

hvm
Launchie
Launchie

Postby hvm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 am

I used to start off with Colleen Doran's "A Distant Soil" but it got infested with Googlebombing spammers, and I also got tired of her incessant and remoresless bashing of a former editor/publisher. Not to mention that as time went on, a certain amount of true nature became manifest. I still look in regularly. Somewhere I heard that "Ender's Game" was a good book, bought and liked it and heard that there was an internet version. So, the link is at the bottom of my linklist and I always start there to get the computer running. After two or three versions; that's years now, and it is interesting to see the permance of many of the familiar names.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 am

I type in "phi" then auto complete kicks in! And bam! I'm at pweb. After an enter, anyway. It completes it with either the main page or milagre. Those switch out from time to time.

I log in through the "Log in to check messages button." Because a while ago, whenever I would press the normal log in button, I would log in, then it would take me to the front page and I would not be logged in. Not sure if it still does that. I haven't tried it the old way in a long time.

When the chat was really active, I would only check the Ender forum, and occasionally build up enough confidence to enter Milagre and Religion threads, though I would never say anything there! Then I did a lot more school stuff, and the chat died off and the friends I had on this forum at the time I had slowed in checking had all kind of died off, too! So, now and since then, I check Milagre mostly, then Ender and occasionally Religion/Moral Philosophy (which I find fascinating but highly time consuming).

I use those handy orange tab things! They really make me happy.

If I have been posting recently, I check threads from top to bottom. If it has been a while since I've been back to Pweb, I check random threads as they catch my interest until I'm through them all or get sidetracked.

The threads I sometimes ignore, I usually very occasionally don't ignore.

I check pweb a lot or a little. During the school year, I check a lot less. Only on weekends unless there's a thread that's moving quickly and I'm super interested in it. During breaks, though, I usually don't check at the beginning. Then I remember I have lots of time and start to check all the time. Whenever I'm on the computer.

I realize that I rarely post anything that doesn't start "I think/In my opinion" And posts usually include my own personal experiences because I really do poorly with criticism, and I don't want to make vast generalizations that might not be true to everyone that I describe as sharing a common characteristic with me. I also generally post more where people who joined after I did and people who are approximately my age or younger have been posting because I always find those who were before me to be intimidating, and I'm afraid I'll do something to where they won't have any respect for me (both here and in real life). I usually don't post on subjects where it's opinions about what a certain other person/people/thing/identity does because usually my opinion changes as I read what others post. Though most of the time, I post these ways without realizing it until after I go back and look at the context of the thread. As my friend once said, I'm just another fickle-hearted apple-eater. Oh! I also find that I generally post more when I'm really emotional! Which is the opposite of what I should do.. But what I'm choosing to do now!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 am

I'm auto-completer, and don't have it in my book marks even. It takes me to the main page, which is kind of a surprise, considering I spend most of my time on Milagre rather than the rest of the subforums (The Ender is the only one I ever frequent). I log on during my post-work haze and then when I am waiting for television to come on, but its not like my Facebook problem. Which is a legit problem (I think because I am blocked from it at work, I have to spend like 99% of my online time at home on it? IDK).
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 am

I check multiple times a day. I am an auto-completer. Usually, I go to the index, and from there to milagre.

I did not realize the little orange page button worked. Usually, I click on the white page next to the last posters name, and start there, and work kind of backwards if there have been multiple posts since the last time I checked (which happens infrequently, as I do check multiple times per day).

In Milagre, I don't usually check Doctor Who thread (I don't watch it), and will sometimes skip the "Currently Playing" thread.

If there are new posts elsewhere, I'll click on that part of the board and see if the threads catch my interest or not.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Let's see, I've got the bookmark, which takes me to the index, but all I usually open are Milagre, News, and Random Speculation, and occasionally the Forum.

I have a special system for P-Web. I open everything with a new tab except for the last page I haven't opened, which I just open normally with a left-click. Then I work my way through the open pages. If there's one that I want to comment on but don't really know what to say yet, I leave it open and move on to the next tab. When I'm opening a thread I do what SL said and open the most recent page. I guess I don't trust the orange page, because I know all about it and how it works.

Let's see, I don't read the sports thread, the threads for shows I don't watch (which is mostly just Dollhouse, although I did read it when it first was made to see if it was any good), and sometimes read the working out thread and the kitchen smells thread, but that mostly depends on what mood I'm in.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Re: The Meta Thread

Postby Rei » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:51 pm

I have a bookmark that takes me to the front page. I usually check the Religion forum first, and then move on to Milagre. I tend to check threads in the order of my whims -- it's not entirely random, but it's not entirely predictable, either. If I've just refreshed the page, I will use the orange thingy to get to more recent posts, but if I've just arrived, I will use the most recent post option because otherwise all the orange gets cleared when I've clicked once, and I can't see which threads have new posts. I will generally at least glance at all the threads, unless I'm really tired or rushed, because I don't like them being marked as unread, and it feels like cheating to just click "mark all topics read". Most days I visit pweb, although I will go through phases where I check it several times in a day or not at all for several days.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Bookmark. Goes to the forum index. I click Milagre. I look at the list of threads, and then I compare them to the most recent member that posted. I click anything interesting. I rarely read all newly replied to threads. I sign in to post, and after posting I sign out.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 pm

I have a special system for P-Web. I open everything with a new tab except for the last page I haven't opened, which I just open normally with a left-click.
Didn't think of this until you said it, but I do this, too. Same with the forums; bottom-up, all in new tabs except the last one. Then I just look at the tabs, left to right until I'm out of tabs and look left.

I also never usually logout.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 pm

I do it with cracked.com, but not pweb. I wonder why...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Bookmark (Favorite - I still use Explorer, silly me). Go to Milagre first- occasionally I start at the Official News Discussion of the movie section, hoping to see news about the movie, but feeling disappointed- but otherwise, Milagre.
I check new threads first, then the regulars- Bob, Things that I Hate/Love, Confessions, etc. (I very, very rarely check Dear You, though.). One thread at a time.

Though recently I've been to Pweb much less, and lurked most of it. Dang tests got to me.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:02 pm

I have a special system for P-Web. I open everything with a new tab except for the last page I haven't opened, which I just open normally with a left-click. Then I work my way through the open pages. If there's one that I want to comment on but don't really know what to say yet, I leave it open and move on to the next tab.
I do this.

Pweb is just in my recent history, so I access it from there. It used to be bookmarked, but I didn't transfer them over when I got my laptop and haven't bothered since. I check Milagre and Moral Philosophy. I haven't looked at the Ender sections in ages. I open threads in tabs from the bottom up. Just recently I started using the orange clicky box, if that's what we call it. I never read the sports thread. And I rarely read currently playing, chatting, or threads about shows I've never seen (Dr. Who, Dollhouse, etc.) And I check probably about 10 times day, give or take. Depends how bored I am.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”