This movie will be terrible because......

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013

Would ender's game be a fantastic movie?

Of course
41%
Not a chance
48%
Only if Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are in it!
10%

Total votes: 29

Glass
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glass » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:59 pm

I cant imagine any child actor alive that would be exceptional at portraying Ender?

Where are they going to find loads of child actors under the age of 10 that can behave as child prodigies would behave?
A majority of the characters played in movies nowadays seem so one-sided, throw in some multi-dimensional personalities in there for once!

Also, i do hope that the director that is chosen isn't substandard. :shock:
"...there silence suggested that they didn't want to talk about what they didn't want to talk about."

-from Teacher's Pest

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 pm

The actors won't be under the age of 10. Ender and Bean's ages will almost certainly be bumped up a few years and they can probably get away with casting kids who are a couple of years older than their characters.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

bmirheli
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bmirheli » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:40 am

Yes i agree that for a movie to be made the ages would have to be bumped up, but that in itself ruins the story. Take bean for example, would people who were watching the movie without having read the books really understand just how exceptionally brilliant he was to be so small and so much younger than the others?
My hands are clean, but not because I wasn't prepared to bloody them

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:52 am

You're right. A 10 year old who survives alone on the streets, teaches himself to read, achieves an off the chart score on the battle school exams, and helps achieve a decisive victory in an interstellar war might just come across as average. They better keep him as 4 or 5 or whatever age he was to start with.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

bmirheli
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bmirheli » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm

...i have no idea whether that was sarcasm or not
My hands are clean, but not because I wasn't prepared to bloody them

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:12 pm

That was obviously Sarcasm.
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

PetraArkanianDelphiki
Launchie
Launchie

Postby PetraArkanianDelphiki » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 pm

You guys forget that much of the cast for Harry Potter was 9 years old when casted.
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."

shirabrie
Launchie
Launchie

Would only be a decent movie if...

Postby shirabrie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am

If they try to make a live action movie, forget it. One key element of the plot is that Ender, Bean and the other Brats' stories are told over a course of years. So you either have to film the thing in pieces over a long course of years or change actors as the kids age. Either way leads to it sucking.

Animated that's the way to go. Then you only need voice actors. Aging them is a piece of cake and the environments/special effects are all CGI. It could be done and it could be good.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 am

Get this out of official news discussion. If it isn't news, or personal reactions to news from someone else, it doesn't go here. Mods!
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Would only be a decent movie if...

Postby Psudo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:00 am

you either have to film the thing in pieces over a long course of years or change actors as the kids age.
They're pretty good at falsifying the age of the same actors for movies these days. See: Benjamin Button, A Beautiful Mind, etc. Doing it with kids would be new, but not impossible, and would not inherently suck.
Animated that's the way to go. Then you only need voice actors. Aging them is a piece of cake and the environments/special effects are all CGI. It could be done and it could be good.
I would absolutely love an animated Ender's Game movie. However, there's a pretty hefty subset of the world who wouldn't see it precisely because it's animated, no matter how awesome it is. I don't think OSC would go for that; I wouldn't in his place.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Here's my idea. The actor would be too old now but who I picture playing Ender in a movie, if anyone, is Image Wil-Wheaton AKA Wesley Crsuher from Star Trek the Next Generation. Just an Idea. And maybe Petra as a girl looking kind of like this Image and Bean, if his skin was darker, or maybe even Ender? Image
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:01 pm

hollywood would f*** it up, even with any of our ideas or explaintions of it. why do you think OCD dont wwant one.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:10 pm

why do you think OCD dont wwant one.
Probably because most obsessive-compulsives would go crazy from trying to control every single detail and ultimately find themselves unable to do so.

OSC, too.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm

HA!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Re: This movie will be terrible because......

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:11 pm

"5. Last but not least, Ender’s character will likely be played by some backstreet boy reject who can barely read his lines. Otherwise I would expect the directors to go the opposite direction and cast Haley Joel Osment as Ender. This would be interesting, but throughout the whole film the audience will be thinking in their head, “I see dead people.” (which is in no way a foreshadow of Ender’s genocide of the buggers, because that would be way to thought out for Hollywood"

honest to goodness I have always thought of Ender as looking very similar to him, before I really even knew about HJO, and then when I saw him in AI i was like holy cow it's Ender!!!
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

TheTranskinator
Launchie
Launchie
Location: i'm not sure... it's dark and a i hear laughing... aww crap

Postby TheTranskinator » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:39 am

I don't see why the movie would be bad as long as they put enough care into making it as opposed to rushing it out and trying to make a quick buck. The child cast is a problem, but as said before me older actors could easily be cast, and with a little work made to look like the proper age.

One thing that I think CAN'T happen is their ages being changed. Children were used precisely because of their ignorance in war. Think about it, when you start hitting your teenage years, you begin to think for yourself more. Form your own opinions on war, realize the consequences of your actions, and in Ender's case could possibly realize the simulation is real. And these kids were thinking on the same level as adults most of the time. They were at the perfect age to win the war, they were ignorant of the fact it was a real war and that their are real consequences to every action in war, something that would have hindered them completely. But they were old enough to think on the proper tactical level. That is why I think the ages shouldn't be changed.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”