Battle School Slang

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Oh, I wish I had a buddy to talk in Battle School Slang with.... Good for you and your buddy :)
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, I seem adept at using Battle School slang with my gaming friends, I should start using it at school for the New Year. I'm already isolated, so I don't really care how others look at me (must be my restricted mind and my difficulties when change occurs), I just do my work and get it done faster than everyone else.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Same here. I'm a loner even though I involuntarily make friends quite easy. But if people really like me for some reason, maybe they can except my Ender dorkiness. It can be our new year resolution Sonikku.

Agreed? :)
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

My main New Year's resolution is to be more like Ender Wiggin. I also think I have some of Novinha in me, I voluntarily isolate myself, like Novinha. But yes, using Battle School slang can be added to my New Year's resolution.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 pm

I actually wanna be like Ender too. I want to try out the whole leader thing and see how it feels.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Sounds good. We can try to be more like Ender next year.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Should we make up a thread to where people can pledge to be more like Ender? It seems like it would catch on quickly :)

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Nah, not just for Ender... We need to be more like Achilles too!

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

True, true. Maybe we should pledge to be soldiers. That's more broad, right?

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

True, true. Maybe we should pledge to be soldiers. That's more broad, right?
The US Army won't let me in. I'm diagnosed with depression, and I know ever since I read Ender's Game, I think I'm no longer depressed. Theres one more issue. I have a mental condition called Asperger's syndrome, and because it's on the autism spectrum and that I take medication for it (only for school, mind you), the US Army will not let me in. Oh well. Can't pledge to be a soldier.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:01 pm

NOT A REAL SOLDIER!!!

A soldier as in someone who can step up and take the lead when all the other kids are being shy, or someone who sticks up for the nerds at school who get pushed around. Someone strong and brave and not scared to do what it takes to survive.

A regular everyday soldier, not a marine or something. Get it?

Now who would pledge if I made a post?

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:11 pm

I would if I saw it, but I never see people get picked on because I isolate myself in the first place. My normal beginning school routine is this. I board a bus, maybe talk to people, maybe think about Ender, math, or computers. When I get to school, I go to a place, either the library or a room numbered 284, sit down, think about Ender or use a computer for a while, maybe talk to people, and then go to first hour. During that time, I'm unaware of bullies because of the isolation that I voluntarily put myself in. So, if I saw it, I would help, but I don't see any of it because of isolation. But, in online games, I see it all the time. People swearing all over the place, dissing people, being downright nasty at times... but if I do anything, it doesn't help, people keep doing it. Must be that it's too common online, and people feel safe because they're behind a computer, they can't be hit. Still have to try anyway.

Anyway, I take things TOO literally. In my mind, soldier in my mind = US Army, Navy, the Marines, the National Guard. or the Coast Guard.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 pm

I do that sometime too, taking things literally. Me and my dad are pragmatic people. But even helping out on the internet could make a difference. And try to talk to people a little more. Maybe if you had someone to talk to, the bullies wouldn't come around so much.

I'll post it, but only if you promise to try, can you pledge. Okay? Ender would try wouldn't he?

(well, he would probably beat up the bully, but you know)

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:21 pm

If Ender would beat up his bullies, why didn't he beat up Peter? Technically, Peter Wiggin was a bully to Ender, he tortured him, right? Yes, I know Peter loved Ender, and all he wanted was control, but by the definition of a bully, Peter fits the description. (I think I can answer my own question, but I want to see what you think.)

I do promise to try, I go to church only because Ender was selfless, wasn't he? So I will try if I see it.

I do talk to people, teachers and stuff, and a small group of people in my bus, and people in math team. I just don't find enjoyment in a conversation, especially when special education keeps telling me what the "proper" way to speak is. Use eye contact. Don't talk about inappropriate topics. Don't pick your nose in front of people. Bah! Too many rules!

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Whoa. I just realized your a launchie.

Anyway, I think Ender knew Peter loved him even if he himself was terrified of Peter. Plus, he would get in trouble with his parents. See my point?

The counselors are just trying to help. Making eye contact is important for communicating and first impressions can rely on the topics you choose to talk about. They aren't rules, and Ender is the one who teaches us rules don't have to be followed. You can choose to pick your nose whenever you want, they just want you to be successful. And being successful in our society these days is based on people skills, I think.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:13 pm

I joined around the same time as you, I just post about 5% as much as you, but that should rise cause I am bored.

My answer to my own question seems to be based off Valentine Wiggin. Ender didn't beat up Peter because he did not have to, Valentine would always stop Peter. He beat up Stilson, and later Bonzo, because he had no choice. Trapped in a circle of boys, or trapped in a bathroom, and they want to beat you up, uh... you have to do something! Pacifism doesn't work if they want to kill you. Meanwhile, with Peter, pacifism works because Valentine has the ability to persuade people to do what she wants them to do. And yes, if Ender beats up Peter, Ender would get in trouble with his parents, but this raises another point, why doesn't Peter get in trouble for torturing Ender? Oh yeah, it was because Ender could hide his emotions extremely well.

Yeah, but if I don't follow the rules they make, I'd be risking being kicked out of my school and being put into possibly a transition center, thats why I'm annoyed about it. I know they want to help me, but how can you help if you protect us from dangers? I would rather learn it myself, by exposing us to real situations, not by having an hour of my school day about it. My guess is that I'm a teenager, and I strive for freedom, but I'm not ready for total freedom, and I know that.

I also just realized - I got to wait 30 days for Ender's Game: Command School 5 to come out. This is going to be an agonizing 30 days...

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:13 pm

What's command school 5?

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:42 pm

So it's a comic? I don't get it.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:37 am

I just have one concern with the last comic, how are you going to put 60 pages of text into the comic and stay true to the novel?! Guess I'll find out in late January.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:57 pm

They have already done the whole book?

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Comicsare often better than an actual novel would be. Watchmen, for example. My Friend is currently reading the ender comic, he claism it to be great.
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:25 am

Greeyaz
Meaning: worthless trash
Origin: Russian
In a sentence: That is such greeyaz.
How is Greeyaz pronounced? can somebody please transcribe this phonetically? Oh, and is eemo pronounced like "emo"?

Also, I do not believe "merda" is Latin, but I would have to check. More likely it is Portugesse or Spanish like you said.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Well, in my head, I always though of "Greeyaz" as gree-yaz. I suppose it could be pronounced gree-az.

As for eemo and merda (merda is one of my personal favorites), eemo is pronounced ee-mo and merda could be mer-da or mare-da

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm

kk thanks

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Word: Yelda
Meaning: Ballsack
Origin: Russian
Example: "And this yelda actually thought that he could forge them into a team the way Ender had" ~SotH pg.78

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:25 pm

A soldier as in someone who can step up and take the lead when all the other kids are being shy, or someone who sticks up for the nerds at school who get pushed around. Someone strong and brave and not scared to do what it takes to survive.
((Know this is from a while back, but...)) I think that is a HERO :D

And would someone care to post some Brazilian slang from the book?

shinobixtc
Launchie
Launchie

Postby shinobixtc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:45 pm

two pages without "neh" or "eh" ?! ....madness

Word: Neh
Meaning: (negative indifference)
Origin: French contraction or Portuguese contraction

Word: Eh
Meaning: (positive indifference)
Origin: French contraction or Portuguese contraction
Your hero is dead. Return that life to God...

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Actually I was using neh and eh before I read EG. I picked it up from anime.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re:

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Oh, I wish I had a buddy to talk in Battle School Slang with.... Good for you and your buddy :)
You let that stop you? I just talk battle school slang with who ever is around and if they get it good for them. Also its great for insulting people who haven't read the book. On the other hand I think my friends know what it means now... but for strangers.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”