Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:58 pm

I had zombies on my wedding cake this weekend...

[/img]
Dude. CONGRATS!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:20 am

I don't know about everyone else but I can't see your picture.
oops let me try again....

My zombie wedding cake...

*edit to add 2nd photo

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:13 am

That is so cool! And congratulations! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 am

Congratulations! And I can't see it either, but zombies on wedding cakes sounds cool!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Your wedding cake looks awesome. And I don't dole out wedding cake compliments very often, yaknow.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:37 am

Your wedding cake looks awesome. And I don't dole out wedding cake compliments very often, yaknow.
it was also very delicious. My friend made everything from scratch.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 am

Theresa, that looks like an incredibly fun wedding (admittedly, I've only seen cake and choice of dress so far, but both are pointing in a good direction)

And for the second time today I congratulate a Pwebber on getting married. Is that the rocket scientist you finally bagged?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Are there cake-in-the-face pictures, T. Money? (Yes, I just instituted a new nickname. Deal.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:12 am

Are there cake-in-the-face pictures, T. Money? (Yes, I just instituted a new nickname. Deal.)
No cake in face pictures for us we decided to be nice to each other on out wedding day...

it you guys want to see all the photos (the good ones) go to

http://theresaandchris.shutterfly.com/

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:04 pm

I like this thread and there's just something about this time of year that makes me think of zombies (and love...I'm afraid of what that says about me).

I finally saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead, after having only seen a clip from the original in one of my sociology classes (great class), and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I made the mistake of watching it late Saturday night/Sunday morning, so I had some humorous, related nightmares (yep, humorous and nightmare, all in one), but I enjoyed it all the same. I'm just disappointed that my favorite character dies, though given the chance I wouldn't change that about the movie.

It got me thinking about when I started to appreciate zombie movies (well after I stopped appreciating most any horror movies) and I think I got it down to when I saw 28 Days Later in theaters. I thought that was a brilliantly done movie, no dumbing anything down and it seemed plausible enough at the time. Surprisingly, I also enjoyed its sequel, 28 Weeks Later, even though it was a different sort of movie.

Other zombie fans, what was it that got you into it all?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 am

You know, I also love this thread, mostly as it serves as a reminder that, yes, I can make threads that survive more than a week or so. :D

I don't know what got me into zombies. I think it was all of my friends being obsessed with them, and I think we watched the Dawn of the Dead remake one night and I was just like "this is awesome!" Plus all of the video games, classic Half-Life and such, and the general community just has a video-gamey feel to it, and the planning just appeals at such a base level to me... So I guess what I'm saying is that it wasn't a specific time for me because it just gelled with my personality so well.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 am

The original Resident Evil game. When you're ten, there's nothing more awesome than killing zombies from the comfort of your living room.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:18 pm

Woah, woah, woah!

I just seen this. That nickname is far from new. I've been calling her that for years. T-money, Ninja MC and Squiggles all came around the same time, among some others.

But I will give you the point on the original Resident Evil game. Not only was it awesome, but it gave a feel of what it would be like to be in a zombie movie. It also gave me a new found respect for movie characters that make incredibly dumb decisions while being chased. Cause its nerve racking and stupid things happen, when a zombie could bust through the door or a killer dog could crash through the window at anytime. Needless to say, my brain was eaten many times.

I absolutely hated 28 Days Later when I first saw it. I don't remember why, but I thought it was terrible. I have since come to enjoy, but I have no idea what put me off when I first saw it.

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:56 am

Screw teh survival guide. Screw yo uand your 'movie xombies'. The guide is only effective as logn as the zombies suck that much.

I hav a mountain in tennesee picked out. greandmother owns teh prperty. And im also stockign up on medieval weapons. I have my group picked out, weapon assignments, jobs, transportation. You kids, yall gonna die.

And i get nice with a shovel. Care to duel?
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Can someone translate that, or should I just smile and nod?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:30 pm

Can someone translate that, or should I just smile and nod?
The "Zombie Survival Guide" by Mel Brooks' son is useless, as are zombie movies, for teaching how to survive a zombie outbreak, unless the zombies are really as easy as both of those sources make them out to be. I am guessing that they would not be.

There is an isolated mountain in Tennessee that I have my eye on for running to, owned by my grandmother. I also have a fine selection of medieval weapons to kill zombies with, and a group of individuals to survive with, along with weapon assignments, jobs, and modes of transportation. Children like all of you are going to die.

I also fare well with a shovel, if you care to duel.
That was fun!

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Mich, I am totally impressed. You should see if you could get a job as a translator or something.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 pm

Brilliant. That is in fact exactly what I said. Only, with proper grammer and using the letter Z instead of X. I had no idea that I spoke so silly.
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:20 pm

My mom knows this, and proceeds to hand me the book Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, which is about the moon getting pushed closer to Earth and all the horrible things that happen as a result. Bad move, Mom!
I found this book being given away free from our local public library and the description looked interesting so I got it. I then proceed to come here (which I haven't visited in a good length of time) and see that you mentioned it.

Coincidence? I think not.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:21 am

Where have you been, Lyons?! I noticed the absence!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:50 pm

You know guys, preparing for the zombie apocalypse doesn't sound like much fun. I think I'm going to work on causing it instead. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:13 pm

I am writing this from a fully and completely realistic point of view, I add none of the frivolous magical properties of a ghoul or zombie, and disregard the illogical completely. The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, takes the first part of the book explaining the virus “Solanum,” and I am going to work off of that idea, using the same name. It is that concept alone that I am working with; that it is a virus. All other concepts are completely scientifically based and we will explore the possibility that a virus such as Solanum exists in nature and that it has the ability to infect a hosts brain cells (neurons), first by entering the circulatory system via bodily fluid interaction of an infected individual and an uninfected individual, and finally making its way to the neuronal cells and manipulating said cells. I will disregard the communicability of 100 percent used in the book in favor of a more realistic number, 99.4 percent as used in The Stand by Stephen King for a man-made virus (given that that is the most likely scenario for the creation of this virus). Critics may say that this is not a “zombie” contingency plan, and to them I say nay, it depends on your definition of “zombie.” Plus, I find the idea of realism much more horrifying than fiction. Fiction you can brush off as being something implausible… The following may be fiction, but it is very plausible.

Skip this if you don’t give a f*** about biology:

In order to realistically write a zombie contingency plan, one must have knowledge of how a zombie functions in order to exploit their weaknesses and predict their attacks. I am telling everybody right f***ing now, the anatomy of the zombies outlined in The Zombie Survival Guide is impossible. The zombies would disintegrate, with cells lysing on a scale so grand that there is no way they could eat you/pass on the virus before turning into a pile of mush, let alone have the capacity of movement. Therefore, I am about to discredit any possibility in the known world for a human body to function without the proper systems in place. A virus is considered “pseudoliving” which means that it is not technically alive by the standards of science. Without the host cells machinery, a virus cannot grow or replicate. Thus, a virus must take control of the host cells machinery and use that machinery to create its own DNA and subsequent proteins. This hinges on one very important point, the cell must function as it has always functioned. It needs glucose, fat or protein to begin the aerobic respiration that uses oxygen as a final electron acceptor in the path to making ATP (energy) to run the metabolic processes of the cell.

The implications of this are great, the zombie has to have working lungs to bring oxygen into the system, working circulatory system to transfer said oxygen along with nutrients and wastes, and systems which can eliminate said wastes. This brings into light the very real weaknesses of the zombie. It must be “living” for all intents and purposes, but that does not mean it will be easy to kill. Here’s the kicker: The virus can manipulate the cells. The neuronal cells that stop replicating in adult humans are once again capable of regeneration, a virus can lie dormant in a cell for very long periods of time (as evidenced by HIV, which progresses into AIDs once the virus decides to lyse the cells releasing the virus into the system) and make the cell replicate with viral DNA in the nucleus creating hundreds of cells with viral DNA in them. This means the virus will make the neuronal cells replicate, creating millions of new neurons each with viral DNA in them, each with the ability to control more of the processes of the human brain. One may also imply that the zombie is much smarter than your average human being, with a larger number of neuronal cells capable of propagating larger numbers of signals at a faster speed. I contest the idea that zombies are stumbling creatures with an off-kilter gate and little hand-eye coordination.

I believe that this hypothetical virus would create extremely intelligent humans which it would have full control over, by producing the proteins and enzymes of its own DNA rather than that of the original cell, it would be fully plausible that the human infected with this virus would be controlled by the desires of the virus, which would be to infect new hosts. Also, the infected individual would not be the same person they were in their lives with everything from memories to basic wants and desires being manipulated and changed by the virus. The zombie would also have a heightened set of sensory systems, and it’s plausible that the neural signals from their external body are blocked by the virus in the CNS, reducing and possibly eliminating the effects of pain or touch sensation. Furthermore, they may act with a hive mentality, working towards a common goal (and remember, they’re smart), and their circulatory system may be routed in order to increase the amount of blood to the muscles, increasing their strength and agility. The most horrific realization: They may look completely normal. The virus does not necessarily impact their vocal chords, and they would look like a regular human being. Their behavior would be notably different, but they could pass the virus on before the realization of what has happened is fully recognized.

Contingency Plan

With this knowledge in place, we can begin to determine what will and what will not work. Quarantines will be key in containing the virus to large areas (in the range of regions to complete countries). Given our inability to distinguish the zombies from the humans, large quarantine areas will be key. All air and sea ports should be shut down, and control of the army and air bases is essential. A 99.4 percent communicable virus can most likely become airborne, especially since viral particles are pseudoliving and can enter a dormant stage if not active in a cell (such is the case when they are housed within a water molecule, such as on a humid day). Dry climates are best due to such conditions, especially since a zombie lacks any other desire than to pass on its virus and thus does not drink, dehydration would be a good way to defeat them. Other ways to kill the zombies via natural causes would be to expose them to harsh environmental conditions, such as the extreme hot or cold, high saline, low/high pH and anoxic environments all fit the bill. Thus, the best areas to flee to would be the deserts, the higher and lower altitudes and the poles. The worst places would be the mountains, valleys, jungles and tropics.

Also, since they are human we can kill them if it comes down to that. We would want to see them coming given that a more intelligent being would outsmart us in a terrain war using the mountains or valleys. The plains and deserts are ideal for such a situation. Saskatchewan, where you can watch your dog run away for three days, is a good place to be for a zombie apocalypse. This is where the plan gets sleazy and corrupt. We need to get rid of these zombies before they kill us all, and we have to do it in a way that causes the least amount of damage, least bloodshed (especially into the water systems; I’ll say it again, viruses are pseudoliving, they can live in the soil and water forever until it attaches to a host cell whose machinery it can manipulate) and the most successful. Thus we will need two plans, one for “the bait” and one for “the survivors.” You’re reading the survivors guide. The bait will be those that believe a virus can evoke a stage of being “undead” in which these things cannot be killed and the mountains and valleys should be used to hide from and trick them.

The survivors guide is for those that know these ******* are smarter than us, and would kick our a** in a terrain based war of wit. Trust me, this is necessary. Think of the people we could get to follow the bait guide? Bush, Hannah Montana, the Jonas Brothers, etc. Man, I’m beginning to WELCOME the zombie apocalypse. Anyways, we can lure the zombies into the valleys and mountains, from there dams can be taken out and landslides created provided we still have control of the army bases (I thank you Wright brothers). Meanwhile, safe zones can be created and established in areas where the weather would kill any remaining zombies in a disposable manner (such as through freezing, and might I add that if you freeze a zombie it would be much like freezing a human, where the plasma and extra/intracellular fluid freezes into crystals which would tear the cells apart resulting in death). Due to the high communicability, the zombie bodies will have to be destroyed, I’m thinking a controlled nuclear blast in the areas the zombies were lured to. Fire is a good way to kill a virus, since even the pseudoliving cannot deny the destructive powers of heat to proteins which make up their outer coat. Thus, to the areas where any remaining zombies fled to and eventually died due to extreme environmental conditions, let the forest fires reign.

Note: this plan is kind of geared toward North and South America following the quarantine, it can be applied to Europe as well. Japan, if they got hit with this virus, they’re kind of screwed. Britain, you’re screwed. Australia… well you guys have all that poisonous stuff, so I’m pretty sure the zombies are afraid of you. China, f***ing nuke them if this happens, because with that high of a population they are ******. Canada, Russia and the Scandinavian countries will pull through nicely, and the US, if you guys don’t go all batshit on me, you’ll be alright (I’m talking to you Utah, you and your Mormons, lol.)
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Where have you been, Lyons?! I noticed the absence!
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Um, I've been around! :wink:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:17 am

My mom knows this, and proceeds to hand me the book Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, which is about the moon getting pushed closer to Earth and all the horrible things that happen as a result. Bad move, Mom!
I found this book being given away free from our local public library and the description looked interesting so I got it. I then proceed to come here (which I haven't visited in a good length of time) and see that you mentioned it.

Have you read it yet? Let me know what you think.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Have you read it yet? Let me know what you think.
I finished it and now I'm started on part two "The Dead and The Gone"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 pm

hey wb lyons :) long time no see!

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks Jota. I've been frequenting another forum lately. Been there a little over four months and already have 1,300 posts. 400 of those are in "Word Association", though. :oops:

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:05 pm

*brrrraaaaii-mp*

Has anyone or is anyone planning on watching AMC's The Walking Dead? It premiered this week and being the sucky tv viewer I am, I missed that but -thank goodness for the internet- I will be catching up on that tomorrow, if I clean my room tonight (woo! for reward/punishment systems).

If it's any good, hopefully I can remember to watch it weekly, as it airs. I hear it's based on a comic; have you read that one, if so, Jeff?

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:26 am

If it's any good, hopefully I can remember to watch it weekly, as it airs. I hear it's based on a comic; have you read that one, if so, Jeff?
I am reading it. Right. Now. It starts out as very standard zombie-fare, then makes you suspect the main character is a horribly-written author avatar, then makes you realize it's probably the best zombie fiction you've ever experienced.

I'm going to finish the comic before I watch the show, and I'm so anxious to know how it turns out.

Row--row.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:38 am

So I may want to go in the other thread and ask my super-duper comic fairy to help me out with that series?

Blargh. When will I ever have both time and motivation to do all this reading stuff?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:41 am

So, thanks for reminding me about this show! A few months ago I was checking out previews of up-coming shows this fall, and this caught my eye. I had totally forgotten about it because, well, it premiered a month and a half later than everything else did. So, I just downloaded it and watched it, and WOW. I was blown away by the premier, and it has real potential. The best part about this show, so far, for me, is the suspense. Just, knowing things are going to happen. They build it up so perfectly, and maintain it over the entire scene; but it's not so bad that you're on edge the entire time. The dramatic scenery and camera work is also quite good. Thank GOD I only have to wait until tomorrow (today) for the next episode. I can't wait to see more. :D

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Okay, I caved and watched it this morning and I have to say, I wasn't blown away by the premier but I think it has potential. There were a few parts that had me anxious and I think with this and similar genres, that is a good sign. I felt like, if it can pick up where it left off, it'll be a solid show given some time.

Also, I doubt anyone here has seen it but it reminds me quite a bit of Jericho, which addresses a post-nuclear sort of situation instead of post-outbreak here. I really enjoyed that show and was pissed that it was canceled as it was hitting its stride; all the intense stuff was just getting started.

As the season goes along, if I have any thoughts, I'll probably throw them in here but I'll invisi-text them. :) Um, like I'm about to do.

Spoiler-ish comment:

I had a rather strong, negative reaction to the horse being eaten.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Just watched it, having gotten caught up on the comic yesterday. I really liked the pacing, and I thought it did a better job of introducing us to the world than the comic, actually. The focus on Morgan and his son was actually great, because the comic later becomes so much more about the survivors and their turmoil, and the comic just kind of introduced them as a means of exposition and saying "hey, this is how some people are surviving!" and then brushed them off.

We'll have to see about the rest. I'm assuming it won't go too far off the rails, but we'll definitely have to see.

Row--row.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Norman Reedus (of Boondock Saints fame) will be in the next episode!!

I don't have any brilliant thoughts on this episode at the moment -a bit distracted with the only other show I've been able to consistently watch as it airs- but I did enjoy this episode quite a bit more than the premier.

I'm hating Shane at the moment.

I also realized that the actor who plays Morgan -Lennie James- was in Jericho, which may be a part of my thinking they were similar, though I don't believe that's the beginning and end of their similarities.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:08 am

Alright, Jeff, spill. How did the first six episodes hold up quality-wise to the comic? I know Shane was supposed to die, if they followed the storyline, so I know it's, as to be expected, not entirely faithful to the source material.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”