PWEB FAQ - If you're new, start here. (old)

Welcome to Pweb, FAQs, Introductions and Limeaid
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Is that something from the older pweb, or can you still create your own title?
This is something from April 1st of this year; it was intended to be a...not prank, but a little April Fools fun and I do believe it was only intended to be temporary. In order to get one when it was done, you had to have been active at some point during the week prior to it.

There's a whole thread on it, with a poll seeking member opinions but beyond that, none of the mods have really said how it was being handled. However, they are still here -titles, not mods...though they're still here, too- so it might be a matter of just asking them to give you one or sticking around for long enough to "earn" one.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 pm

I made a couple changes. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:48 pm

I can tell.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Locke, I love what you've done to the place. New titles make it so much more Ender-friendly :) . Next step: change that banner in the top-left corner.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 am

Not only does your work make it more Ender-friendly, it also makes P-Web more efficient and with less dead forums. Nice work, Adam! :D

And I thoroughly agree with the "CHANGE-THE-BANNER!" comments. Even though ^Peter didn't put it in all-capitals. (who changed the banner to the current one, anyway?)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue May 19, 2009 7:46 am

Oh, the banner complaint. Look, it's Jane screaming her anguish at being caught in a computer-only body, okay?

Actually, it's not, but it might be helpful if we start to think of it that way. :) We had a contest awhile back, we selected a new banner, but, unfortunately, no one who actually frequents the place has the power to change it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Thu May 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Wow, I was wondering what the heck happened to these threads when I went to Milagre. Why the change?

Just curious. :)

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:33 am

I have no idea why they changed it, but I'm already right at home with it this way. The banner in the top left corner is kinda freaky. Change it!
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon May 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Not even the admins can change it? Whenever some one looks over my shoulder and asks, "what are yoiu doing?", I answer, "browzing an Ender forum."

And then they inevitably ask, "What does that thing have to do with Ender?"
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 pm

The moderators don't have the power to change it and the admin pretty much just pays for hosting and only comes around when the site crashes.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 am

So this site has been going on for YEARS? What's the age range, becasue now I'm really curious.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 am

Well, we have a few members in their forties (I know Steve is in his late forties and I think Ela is in her forties). And we always have a significant portion of newbies in the 12-14 range, most of which don't stick around all that long, particularly if they don't venture outside of the Enderverse.

I'd have to wager that the majority of active, established members are in their 20s, though.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:37 am

Wow. They have jobs though and college work...

And I'm 14, so do you also think I won't be sticking around very long? Because I happen to know that I will be here for a long time regardless on what the majority might think.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:07 pm

I don't think he said that you wouldn't be here long, just letting you know the general trend.

I agree with what he said too. Most newer members are younger than the regulars, I would say a similar range 12 to about 15 or maybe even 16. Which makes sense because that is the time period where most of us started reading the Ender series. Most start in the enderverse. Some hang out there exclusively and post regularly, a lot lose interest and stop posting and some others venture to other areas of the site, like yourself. I would say a lot lose interest because because the amount of Ender content here is lacking. Unfortunately for you, you missed the glory days of Pweb when we actually had a website with a bunch of cool content along with this forum. It doesn't appear that we will be getting that back anytime soon.

The majority of the regular posters are now in their twenties. Though alot of them probably started posting when they were in there teens. For example, I joined here when I was 16. I'm now 24. While not a whole lot of people have been around quite that long, most people that still post regularly have a couple of years under their belt. That being said, there is always a smattering of new blood that joins. If you stick around long enough, you will see some regular members will lose interest, some for good. You will also see older members that have been gone a while pop back in from time to time.

So this is my ramble about the make up of this place, when all I pretty much had to say was that I agree with Syphon.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:48 pm

If I finish my project for work -which would entail me starting it...- I'll throw some pictures up for you. Or you can go to the Wayback Machine (google that if you're not sure how to get there).

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 pm

One of those images had Mekare's name in the shot. I remember Mekare! Why has the official pweb nagger brought them back yet?
Wow. They have jobs though and college work...

And I'm 14, so do you also think I won't be sticking around very long?
"Wow they have jobs" indeed. That's why many of us can't be checking this all day. (Or possibly why others check this so much all day... depending on the job.) I was actually 13, almost 14, when I first joined, and I'm 22 now. It is quite possible you'll be around here for a long time.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:25 am

And I'm 14.
That explains a lot.

I'm one of the few that was an adult when I joined. I was 23 then and I'm now 33. Pweb and I will both have our 10 year anniversaries this summer!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 pm

[quote="Luet"][quote="Peterlover14"]And I'm 14.[/quote]
That explains a lot.

What's that supposed to mean? :?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:23 pm

What's that supposed to mean? :?
You're right, I shouldn't insult all 14 year olds like that.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm

.... :oops:

I can be more mature if you want...

PwebArchivist
Launchie
Launchie
Title: Official Archivist

Postby PwebArchivist » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:24 pm

You don't happen to have the whole Epic do you?
Certainly do. All of part one and what was created of part two. Do I have your e-mail address? Or should I do some splicing and post them in here?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Why has the official pweb nagger brought them back yet?
We got one?! Oh joy, what I most wanted for Christmas this year. Tell them to try for some LBT while they're at it. And maybe Jesus or someone else really easy to get ahold of. :P

The ease of nagging goes up tremendously when the naggee has left the nagger with contact information, even if only in a roundabout way. You'll need a First Generation Pwebber in this particular case.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 pm

.... :oops:

People are just getting cranky because you're causing more posts, and making them read more. It's just so much work!

dgf hhw

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:27 am

I think it's more the quality, rather than the quantity, of posts that has people's feathers ruffled, quite honestly.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:28 am

You're saying my posts are pointless, Syphon?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Well, given the fact that a significant portion of your posts are Game posts and a number of others are one-liners with little actual substance, yeah, pretty much.

ETA: After re-reading that, it seems a little harsh. And I really wasn't trying to be. It's just that, honestly, it's not a contest to see who can get the most posts. And while short, one-line posts are fine, they begin to get annoying when that's all you ever see from somebody, particularly when they seem to be going out of their way to do so.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Question: What's the deal with the Confessions username?

Confessions is a name that anyone can use, the password is "guilty". It's used primarily to confess things anonymously, and simply used to hide one's identity when posting something private or embaressing.

Any abuse of this username is not tolarated.

Please be aware that the mods can see the IP of the person who posts (if they click on it - which they won't unless they have a damn good reason!), so it is not, in the strictest sense, entirely confindential.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:03 pm

A thought: why would you purposely be more immature than you have the capacity to be?

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:04 pm

I don't try to be immature but sometimes it seems like people talk down to me because I'm new and young. So if being serious is what it takes to get respect around here, I can be serious.

I don't post for a competition. I just want to be a toon leader and eventually a commander. If being a little ambitious is considered immature too, I can stop that too. Half the time when I look on a thread, everything I would have said, has already been said, so all I can do is agree. If I say my opinion too much, people start complaining that I repeated what someone already said 4 years ago. It's my fault I didn't go through every post that has been posted on the subject to see if it has already been said. Sorry.
I know I make a lot of mistakes, guys. Give me a break. I'm fourteen.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:39 pm

I just want to be a toon leader and eventually a commander.
Therein lies the problem and is exactly the reason we did away with rankings on Pweb II. And it's why you ruffle people's feathers: you're posting for the sake of posting, not for the sake of adding anything of value. Quality is always more important than quantity. Always.

Instead, most of your posts are a little too "doughnuts for dinner": it may sound like a good idea to you, but ten minutes later we're hungry for something a little meatier. Or, in this case, it may seem like a great idea to just bump old topics with "lol," "I know," or "I agree," but we're left hungry for a post with substance, not just fluff. (Not that there's anything wrong with fluff, but when that's all you're giving us, there's a problem.)

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I joined just before my fourteenth birthday, and you are by far more courageous than I was and I admire that. I posted probably three posts, then was embarrassed and deleted them, so I think it's great that you're posting and being active here.

But I agree with Syphon (I prefer Fluffy, but whatever), in that the more your post has to say is indicative of who you are more than the number of posts you make, which isn't exactly what he said. Basically, you have to remember that this is the Internet. There are human beings who read everything you type and post onto this site, it's not just another computer posting back to you. So, when you make a post, you want to make a post that includes content that is engaging, that builds onto the topic being discussed, or that might spark the curiosity of the person who reads your post. We want to know who you are, not just the thoughts that pop randomly in your head. Show us what you're really thinking about. =]

Also, I think the forum as a whole probably needs to calm down when someone posts the same idea as someone else.. Unless it's a previously committed offense, there's no need to be so agitated by it! Sometimes we make mistakes...

But anyway, it's really awesome to see you here. =]

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Thank you, Human. I like this website a lot. It's fun to talk to people who like the same thing you like. I just didn't realize people cared THAT much about what I post.

I'm sorry, Syphon. I don't just post for the sake of posting. If I wanted that I could go to any other site where there are thousands of people posting constantly not caring what I post. I want to talk to you guys. I don't expect you actually talk back though. Because you are always talking about something I don't understand or I'm too intimidated to say something since most of you are adults and might think I'm just an ignorant kid.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Aww, now don't think that. Being intimidated is something I know well.. But if you don't understand, try asking someone. People are generally very willing to share! It's just good to look at how you phrase things. The way you type might be the way you speak, but typing won't show the emotion you're trying to portray always. People read things differently than you intend for them to be read sometimes. That's just because text doesn't show your facial expressions and the inflections of your voice like talking one on one does. So, when you type something take a step out of your shoes and look at it in a different light. See how others might take it. I've learned over the years that this generally helps people feel more willing to be nice to you. =]

Like, saying "I'm too intimidated to say something since most of you are adults and might think I'm just an ignorant kid." is probably not a good idea. It gives the feeling that you're assuming that we would look down on you already, and people don't like it when others assume such drastic things about them. And don't look down on yourself like that! Be confident because it's hard to earn pity over the Internet like that. Stay confident. Apologize when you need to, but not overly so. And for thinking a lot of the people here are adults, maybe you're right in the physical age sense, but get to know them a little better and you'll find a lot of them are just little kids with bigger vocabularies. =] (Not all of them, though, some of them are just scary...) Ender's Game is a book that draws very intelligent people to it, so it's totally understandable if you're intimidated by some of the conversations that go on here. I know I am. But if you ask politely, the people here are generally very willing to teach you.

That's just some advice if you want it!

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Thank you :) So much.

I tend to thrive on positive comments. if you haven't noticed. But I guess everyone does. But I do tend to say more when I'm upset....and now I'm just rambling....

Is rambling off limits too, Syphon? :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Like, saying "I'm too intimidated to say something since most of you are adults and might think I'm just an ignorant kid." is probably not a good idea. It gives the feeling that you're assuming that we would look down on you already, and people don't like it when others assume such drastic things about them.
I think the reception given so far indicates this isn't a meritless assumption.

But I really like this post in general. I don't usually have that feeling about a specific post... but, well, I like this post. *thumbsup*
Is rambling off limits too, Syphon? :)
Said in jest, but keep in mind no one of us speaks for all of us.

dgf hhw

Return to “The Foyer: Welcome to The Philotic Web Community!”