This movie will be terrible because......

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013

Would ender's game be a fantastic movie?

Of course
41%
Not a chance
48%
Only if Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are in it!
10%

Total votes: 29

skali014
Launchie
Launchie

This movie will be terrible because......

Postby skali014 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:11 pm

This movie will be terrible and my reasons are:
1. Great books, generally, are exploited into terrible movies
2. The imagery that was used throughout this book gave me my own creative idea of what was taking place. To the point that I couldn’t put the book down once I started reading it. Books that highlight the imagination are ALWAYS destroyed once some idiot director interprets the environment in his own way.
3. The complexity of the book would require the movie to be shortened severely. Like was done with the Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings, the whole story isn’t told and it robs the film of being great. If done to perfection, the film is only capable of being “good,” not “great.”
4. Hollywood will have to put some crazy love affair spin on the whole movie like they always do. I’m not saying that I don’t like seeing attractive models get cast for these roles, but in the case of Ender’s Game, they will undoubtedly destroy the plot.
5. Last but not least, Ender’s character will likely be played by some backstreet boy reject who can barely read his lines. Otherwise I would expect the directors to go the opposite direction and cast Haley Joel Osment as Ender. This would be interesting, but throughout the whole film the audience will be thinking in their head, “I see dead people.” (which is in no way a foreshadow of Ender’s genocide of the buggers, because that would be way to thought out for Hollywood to grasp.)

Let me know what you think!

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Re: This movie will be terrible because......

Postby Jebus » Mon May 11, 2009 1:56 pm

You're right about book to film adaptions, they're never good.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
APOCALYPSE NOW
BIG FISH
DIE HARD
FIGHT CLUB
FORREST GUMP
THE GODFATHER
GOODFELLAS
JURASSIC PARK
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
THE PRINCESS BRIDE
SCHINDLER'S LIST
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
A TIME TO KILL

Otherwise I would expect the directors to go the opposite direction and cast Haley Joel Osment as Ender. This would be interesting, but throughout the whole film the audience will be thinking in their head, “I see dead people.”
Haley Joel Osment! Why didn't anybody think of this? That would be a brilliant idea if we could get a time machine to take us back to the 90s when he wasn't 20.[/quote]

skali014
Launchie
Launchie

Postby skali014 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:14 pm

LOL @ above! We're thinking hypothetically with Osment, so modern day creepy child actor to play Ender would be (drum Roll) oh no wait there isn't one! perhaps a male version of Dakota Fanning would suffice?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon May 11, 2009 2:26 pm

Are sex changes legal that young?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm

I think there's a difference in presenting a story a different way for a different medium and "destroying the story."

Then again, I think there's a pretty big difference between "destroying the story" and presenting the environment in a way that is different than you invidividually imagined it.

As far as your concerns about a possible "love story," there's a reason the movie didn't get made in the 90s. The optioning studios wanted a teenager love-story/action-flick and that's not what Ender's Game is or what Orson Scott Card was willing to let it become.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 pm

but he is willing to have romantic flirty stuff between Carlotta and Graff nowadays. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:29 pm

Old lady (as Peter calls her) B**** nuns should not flirt with old fat guys who *sniff* misuse cute widdle kiwddies like Endew. (to a degree at least)
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Hey, no one welcomed the new dude! Welcome to Pweb (P-web :wink: ) Skali014! There. That's done now.

How come everyone's all worked up about Dakota Fanning!? It's bad enough she's playing Jane in New Moon!
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Armenia's genius
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Armenia's genius » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:33 pm

The only way I can see this movie do any good is to have Charlton Heston (srry if i mispelled) Be narrarating everyones thougts(you know like a one sided narrarator but have read all thoughts). I know it might sound crazy butI think its a great idea
It's common sense, just no one has the sense to make it common.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 pm

but he is willing to have romantic flirty stuff between Carlotta and Graff nowadays. :D
I thought the romance angle was supposed to come from turning Major Anderson into a woman?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

chadwick0
Launchie
Launchie

Postby chadwick0 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:52 pm

odd lott entertainment now. they make sick movies.. green street hooligans
chady0 hit me up on aim.... i like to talk about ender.. no.. but really ido

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Hello. Children.

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Find me a child who is worthy to play Ender. Find me actors capable of portaying teh complexity of the characters. And find me a cannon to assault them if they try. This is...blasphemy. I've been using Ender and company as my guide for nine years. A movie would ruin it. Make it mainstream.
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 pm

And once it goes mainstream it won't be cool to like it anymore! :shock:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:22 am

Exactly! It needs to stay exclusive. No matter how much I would like to see it come to life.....
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 am

*rolls eyes* Yeah. Bands aren't worth listening to if they've ever been played on the radio, either.

Why does it need to be exclusive? The book's value does not diminish with increased readership.

Never mind the fact that it's one of the more popular science fiction novels of the past few decades, so it's not all that "exclusive" to begin with.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 am

Well, yeah it's popular but you don't see it on posters at Wal-mart or it being made into t-shirts do you? I meant not a lot of people are really dedicated to Ender like the people on this site. Just cause you read it and liked it does not mean you are a fan.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Why does it need to be exclusive? The book's value does not diminish with increased readership.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Are you my teacher now? If you have the answer just tell me cause I'm obviously not understanding. Again. I just like the Enderverse where it is. Next time I will just say it like it is. Okay?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Master Syphon.

He's not withholding any answers from you. He is trying to understand why you think it would be bad for EG to go mainstream. What's your thought process on it and why might you enjoy it less if a ton of other people suddenly learned about it? Would it become too much of a good thing, that is overexposed? Would you fear its becoming a fad or the possibility of backlash?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:51 pm

I didn't come to this website for English class from Master Syphon over here, though.

Why's he so interested my comment? Explain the thought process on that.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Why's he so interested my comment? Explain the thought process on that.
Repeat after me: "THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS"
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:04 pm

"THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS"

There, I repeated it. I still don't get it.

Just forget, I'll never understand you people. I'll just post on the battle room where there are more KIDS! :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Sounds like a plan. :P
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm not trying to be an English teacher. I'm trying to have a discussion. You insist that the book needs to remain exclusive for whatever reason. I'm trying to understand why you think that it needs to remain exclusive. What reasons do you have for wanting it to stay that way?

Don't get pissed when you say something needs to be one way and people want to know why.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm not pissed, I think you're really cool actually. I want it to be exclusive because when it's a smaller group of people who all actually like the book and not just the movie that they hardly understand, it's a better community.

Better? :)

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 pm

I hate to say it, but I'm with peterlover. I would hate to see it go mainstream. First, its very quotable, and I don't want to see all the good ones die like everything else culture got its hands on.

Now that I think about it though, I can't really think of a reason most peopel would agree with for Ender not going mainstream. For me, its about staying outside the curve. Somewhat.

And with mainstream things, everyone wants to be its biggest fan. I don't want to deal with all the formos who think they know Ender better or earleir than I do. It's a personal pride issue. Very silyl really.

More as I figure it out.
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Yes, god forbid the day you agree with Peterlover. :(

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38 pm

You're right about book to film adaptions, they're never good.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
APOCALYPSE NOW
BIG FISH
DIE HARD
FIGHT CLUB
FORREST GUMP
THE GODFATHER
GOODFELLAS
JURASSIC PARK
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
THE PRINCESS BRIDE
SCHINDLER'S LIST
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
A TIME TO KILL
Thing is, many of these were fantastic movies. Princess bride is a classic, Godfather and goodfellas are hailed as soem of the best movies ever to some out of America.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Thing is, many of these were fantastic movies. Princess bride is a classic, Godfather and goodfellas are hailed as soem of the best movies ever to some out of America.
Jebus: wielder of sarcasm to those that don't detect it.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

bmirheli
Launchie
Launchie

It can't be done

Postby bmirheli » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 am

The truest (or for the sake of not diminishing anyone elsest opinion, one of the best) reasons this film should not be made is that it can not be made. Ender had a body count of two by the time he was seven, and neither Stilson or Bonzo were any older than ten. Keeping the children so young is integral to the moral dilemma's Card is so good at portraying. I just can't figure out how you could accurately portray they angst and mental torture that tore Ender apart before he was even ten. And what child actor(s) could properly fill the role's that very few adult actors i've seen could accurately portray?
My hands are clean, but not because I wasn't prepared to bloody them

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:59 pm

1. Ender was nearly ten when he killed Bonzo, so his body count was one at the age of seven.

2. Bonzo was older than ten. Ender was assigned the Salamander Army three months shy of his seventh birthday and became commander at nine and a half. That's almost three years between his first assignment and his assignment as commander. Even assuming Bonzo was young when promoted, he was certainly at least thirteen.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 pm

I don't know that either of Ender's killings would lose their emotional and dramatic effect if Ender was a few years older. It might even make the scenes more believable since in all honesty I can barely imagine a 6 year old striking with enough force to kill someone with his bare hands. Perhaps that's why Card later retconed it so that Ender was wearing steel toed shoes for some reason.
Last edited by neo-dragon on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

bmirheli
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bmirheli » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:42 am

Sorry about the age slip-up, however it's not all that important how old Bonzo was, it's just that Ender is Ender because he had the combat instinct to begin with, making him older for the killings changes that crucial character trait for him. I'm sure that a seven year old could fatally injure an eight year old with the determination Ender had, and seeing a seven year old do it i think, "Wow, he has no idea what he's done, but he damn sure went the lenghts to do it." To see a ten year old kill an eleven year old (just examples for an age increase) i would feel like he would hold too much responsibility for his actions, and i would begin to judge Ender rather than relate to him.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 am

So when he, as a ten year old, kills a thirteen year old, you judge him?

bmirheli
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bmirheli » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:36 pm

At that point, no. Because i've lived through his eyes and his mind and I was "there" for his first killing. I understand him, i know he's not a killer, and so i can't judge him. It's too much judging myself for agreeing with his course of action.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”