Quotes

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:04 am

Four quotes from The Gone-Away World, which may or may not make well enough sense outside the context of the book. No new ideas in any of them, but I really liked them as I read through.
...a sound marriage, which is a thing to be embarked upon solemnly and with due thought to the consequences and on the understanding that to love is an action, a verb, a thing of choice, and this can be promised and delivered where in love is a more tenuous and fragile thing which may come and go with the wind and the seasons.
Most people, when they pray, have a notion of where the words are going. They have in mind God the Bearded, God the Robed, God the Absent Father sitting on a cloud going through his postbag. My prayer is in a blank envelope, left sitting at a bus stop. Anyone who is interested can pick it up and open it. Anyone, in fact, who wants to be God --to me, at least-- can slip their thumb between the flap and the body of the envelope and crack the seal, and discover my one, solemn wish[...].All they have to do, to get into my personal pantheon, is deliver the appropriate miracle. In the meantime, though, I'm working on the basis that the letter will sit there and get brushed off the back of the bench and into the gutter, and then a rainstorm will wash it into the sewer system where it will get sodden and mouldy, and the ink will fade and the paper turn to sludge, and my prayer will just fade away unread, as they mostly seem to.
We all carry a multitude of ghosts around with us: impressions of other people, strong or weak, deep from long acquaintances or shallow with brevity. Those ghosts are maps, updated with each encounter, made detailed, judged, liked or disliked. They are [...] all we can ever really know of the other people in the world.
...you need to ask that woman to marry you. She's your beating heart and every drop of blood in your veins, but in the small dark hours before the dawn she worries maybe she's not enough.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:16 am

It's kind of like, when you were a child, or you were a teenager, did you ever do anything you regretted? I'm sure most every person can say that, right? Did I write anything I've regretted? Sure. Can I go back in time and undo it? No. Can you go back in time and undo the time you did *this* to your teacher, or did *this* to your high school crush? No, you can't do that. So, it's sort of there, and I can either bury it as much as I want, or I can have them develop it as a flaw as much as they want...

-Jay Naylor (while drunk, but still seems rather coherent to me)
(sort of) talking about retconning, specifically about a controversial plot point involving a couple of characters.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:36 am

"The really odd thing about human sex, though, was the way it went on even when people were fully clothed and sitting on opposite sides of a fire. It was in the things they said and did not say, the way they looked at one another and looked away." - Terry Pratchett, the Fifth Elephant, pg 139

That pratchett fellow, he's a wise man.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:15 am

From Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I just liked how "my husband was beaten to death in a bus" comes out of nowhere; they were just talking about random things:
"You like old jazz?" she asked.
"When I was in high school, I listened to jazz all the time in coffee shops."
"And nowadays?"
"A bit of everything. I hear what people play me."
"But you don't listen of your own choosing?"
"Don't need to."
"My husband was something of a jazz buff. You probably had similar tastes. He was beaten to death in a bus, with an iron vase."
"He what?"
"Some punk was using hair spray in a bus, and when my husband asked him to quite, the guy brained him with an iron vase."
I didn't know what to say. "What was the kid doing carrying an iron vase?"
"Who knows?" she answered. "It was a pitiful way to die."
Couple of other random things:
For Beauty I am not a star,
There are others finer by far.
But my face, I don't mind it,
Because at least I'm behind it.
It's people in FRONT that I jar!
CANADA. IS. SNOW. Seriously. Like a gigantic cosmic middle finger, the snow is falling even now as I look out the window.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 am

So let us hoist a pint of silence
to the East where Ireland lies
We will stare across the waters
For a glimpse of Mary's eyes
We are ships without a harbor
we are sailors on dry land
And the song goes on forever
even though the record can't
Mary's Eyes - Janis Ian

and the way she sings it is so gorgeous as well.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:23 am

If my recommendation means anything to you at all (already I'm flattering myself, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong) you should go read this excerpt from the first chapter of BLACK SWAN GREEN by David Mitchell. And then when that excerpt BLOWS YOUR MIND you should go read the whole book and let it change your life. I'm just saying...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 pm

If my recommendation means anything to you at all (already I'm flattering myself, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong) you should go read this excerpt from the first chapter of BLACK SWAN GREEN by David Mitchell. And then when that excerpt BLOWS YOUR MIND you should go read the whole book and let it change your life. I'm just saying...
Wow, I agree. That was an impressive excerpt. However, I'm not sure I could stand that voice/style for an entire novel.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:16 pm

I think you could, if only because things get very, very weird. :D

It is a distinct voice, though.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 pm

It began in the old and golden days of England, in a time when all the hedgerows were green and the roads dusty, when hawthorn and wild roses bloomed, when big-bellied landlords brewed rich October ale at a penny a pint for rakish high-booted cavaliers with jingling spurs and long rapiers, when squires ate roast beef and belched and damned the Dutch over their claret while their faithful hounds slumbered on the rushes by the hearth, when summers were long and warm and drowsy, with honeysuckle and hollyhocks by cottage walls, when winter nights were clear and sharp with frost-rimmed moons shining on the silent snow, and Claud Duval and Swift Nick Nevison lurked in the bosky thickets, teeth gleaming beneath their masks as they heard the rumble of coaches bearing paunchy well-lined nabobs and bright-eyed ladies with powdered hair who would gladly tread a measure by the wayside with the gallant tobyman, and bestow a kiss to save their husbands' guineas; an England where good King Charles lounged amiably on his throne, and scandalised Mr Pepys (or was it Mr Evelyn?) by climbing walls to ogle Pretty Nell; where gallants roistered and diced away their fathers' fortunes; where beaming yokels in spotless smocks made hay in the sunshine and ate bread and cheese and quaffed foaming tankards fit to do G. K. Chesterton's heart good; where threadbare pedlars with sharp eyes and long noses shared their morning bacon with weary travellers in dew-pearled woods and discoursed endlessly of 'Hudibras' and the glories of nature; where burly earringed smugglers brought their stealthy sloops into midnight coves, and stowed their hard-run cargoes of Hollands and Brussels and fragrant Virginia in clammy caverns; where the poachers of Lincolnshire lifted hares and pheasants by the bushel and buffeted gamekeepers and jumped o'er everywhere . . .

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:32 pm

source, Adam?

eta quote:

David and I are currently reading Mark Twain's THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER aloud. It was David's turn to read when this absolute gem of a paragraph came up. The brilliance of the quote coupled with his pitch-perfect reading of it had me laughing so hard tears were streaming down my face.

As he was passing by the house where Jeff Thatcher lived, he saw a new girl in the garden -- a lovely little blue-eyed creature with yellow hair plaited into two long-tails, white summer frock and embroidered pantalettes. The fresh-crowned hero fell without firing a shot. A certain Amy Lawrence vanished out of his heart and left not even a memory of herself behind. He had thought he loved her to distraction; he had regarded his passion as adoration; and behold it was only a poor little evanescent partiality. He had been months winning her; she had confessed hardly a week ago; he had been the happiest and the proudest boy in the world only seven short days, and here in one instant of time she had gone out of his heart like a casual stranger whose visit is done.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:27 am

source, Adam?
The Pyrates, George MacDonald Fraser.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:00 am

zero has it, I've not read it, but ran across that on another forum and decided I shall indeed read it. :-p

I was curious who would ask for the source first. :D

ETA: I love The Adventures of Tom sawyer, I need to reread that. :) Chapter 12 is my favorite. :)
One of the reasons why Tom's mind had drifted away from its secret troubles was, that it had found a new and weighty matter to interest itself about. Becky Thatcher had stopped coming to school. Tom had struggled with his pride a few days, and tried to "whistle her down the wind," but failed. He began to find himself hanging around her father's house, nights, and feeling very miserable. She was ill. What if she should die! There was distraction in the thought. He no longer took an interest in war, nor even in piracy. The charm of life was gone; there was nothing but dreariness left. He put his hoop away, and his bat; there was no joy in them any more. His aunt was concerned. She began to try all manner of remedies on him. She was one of those people who are infatuated with patent medicines and all new-fangled methods of producing health or mending it. She was an inveterate experimenter in these things. When something fresh in this line came out she was in a fever, right away, to try it; not on herself, for she was never ailing, but on anybody else that came handy. She was a subscriber for all the "Health" periodicals and phrenological frauds; and the solemn ignorance they were inflated with was breath to her nostrils. All the "rot" they contained about ventilation, and how to go to bed, and how to get up, and what to eat, and what to drink, and how much exercise to take, and what frame of mind to keep one's self in, and what sort of clothing to wear, was all gospel to her, and she never observed that her health-journals of the current month customarily upset everything they had recommended the month before. She was as simple-hearted and honest as the day was long, and so she was an easy victim. She gathered together her quack periodicals and her quack medicines, and thus armed with death, went about on her pale horse, metaphorically speaking, with "hell following after." But she never suspected that she was not an angel of healing and the balm of Gilead in disguise, to the suffering neighbors.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:51 am

"I wish I could be perfect. That would solve so many problems."

dgf hhw

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:59 am

Seriously, what is up with Illinois?

Blagojevich - "I thought about Mandela, Dr. King and Gandhi and tried to put some perspective to all this and that is what I am doing now."

Burris - “If there was no Martin Luther King Jr. and no Roland Burris, there would be no Barack Obama in the White House today.”

Is self-importance just in the water or something?
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Seriously, what is up with Illinois?
More like Chicago politicians...
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:45 pm

"There is no greater death than a death that brings with it victory."
~ lcjs, KoL

I found this one, the other day, and thought it was interesting. =)
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:16 am

Guys, I should not have to tell you how much of a pimp move it is to cook your date dinner, especially at your place. Its too strong. Unblockable, 80% damage ultra combo. Even if you can't cook for s***, learn how to make at least ONE dish, and then offer to cook it for the girl you are interested in.

Hey, it got me married.
"Unblockable, 80% damage ultra combo", hehe.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:35 pm

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
-Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - Good Omens

for Kirsten. :)

also:
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-Terry Pratchett - Small Gods

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:26 am

Bender! You can't date the ship! It would be like me dating a really fat lady, and then living inside her! And she'd be all vrrrroooom vrwooo bweeee zooom!
-Fry

I can't wait for the next season.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:28 am

"I firmly believed that if I continued to define the life that I wanted, continued to focus on it with all of my intention, and was ready to claim it with all my heart, eventually the universe would provide it for me."
-Jerramy Fine

I found this in her book when I was reading it and couldn't copy it down fast enough. We have a lot in common, Jerramy and I, as far as chasing after silly dreams are concerned. (Though she wins in the silly department...she wanted to move to England and marry a prince; she managed to do the first.)

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 am

You could slit my throat and with my one last gasping breath, I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt.
-Taking Back Sunday

Going to see them with Blink and Weezer tomorrow. I am super pumped.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm

"I don't have anything against pale skin. I mean, some of my best friends are people who... like to pretend they have pale skin." -raocow

It's not supposed to make any sense; I just like this guy's rambling.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 pm

"In victory, you deserve Champagne; in defeat, you need it." ~Napoleon I of France

Funny and true.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 am

Just thought I would add one of my own...

"If someone is going to be judged they should be not be judged by their past, but by what they are doing with there future"

-Brian Baker

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:00 am

Product Description
Can you resist the allure of Edward’s myriad charms—his ocher eyes and tousled hair, the cadence of his speech, his chiseled alabaster skin, and his gratuitous charm? Will you hunt surreptitiously and tolerate the ceaseless deluge in Forks to evade the sun and uphold the facade? Join Edward and Bella as you learn more than 600 vocabulary words to improve your score on the *SAT, ACT®, GED®, and SSAT® exams!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... nningsh-20

I liked the way the writer of the product description mis used the word gratuititous, unless of course Meyer misuses it the same way, in which case it is brilliant.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:37 am

Product Description
Can you resist the allure of Edward’s myriad charms—his ocher eyes and tousled hair, the cadence of his speech, his chiseled alabaster skin, and his gratuitous charm? Will you hunt surreptitiously and tolerate the ceaseless deluge in Forks to evade the sun and uphold the facade? Join Edward and Bella as you learn more than 600 vocabulary words to improve your score on the *SAT, ACT®, GED®, and SSAT® exams!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... nningsh-20

I liked the way the writer of the product description mis used the word gratuititous, unless of course Meyer misuses it the same way, in which case it is brilliant.
Wow. Just wow.

I laughed so hard when she used "Alabaster Brow" with a straight face, but this just makes me want to barf.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aesculapius » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:31 am

I think my signature says it all

V V V V V
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:19 pm

Just thought I would add one of my own...

"If someone is going to be judged they should be not be judged by their past, but by what they are doing with there future"

-Brian Baker
A response: "Nay, they be should not be judged by neither there past, nor there future, nor there present, but only by there ability to sound completely unnatural and awkward when them be quoting thereselves."

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:27 pm

A response: "Nay, they be should not be judged by neither there past, nor there future, nor there present, but only by there ability to sound completely unnatural and awkward when them be quoting thereselves."
Is that a pirate accent?
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:34 pm

It's a this-is-not-how-I-talk-in-real-life-but-I-think-it-makes-me-sound-smart accent.

Know it?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Ah, so it's a smart pirate accent, you see.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:40 pm

Ah, so it's a smart pirate accent, you see.

So it's a British accent?

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 pm

i am awake only in what i love & desire to the point of terror -- everything else is merely shrouded furniture, quotidian anaesthesia, s***-for-brains, sub-reptilian ennui of totalitarian regimes, banal censorship & useless pain -- hakim bey [tyzk]
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 pm

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert ... this or that."

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:33 pm

The future is much like the present, only much longer. - Dan Quisenberry

"Hurting people is my business." - Sugar Ray Robinson

"A good man is always a beginner." - Martial (40 AD - 105 AD)

"Shortcuts only leave you farther behind."

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

In life, if no one hates you, you're doing it wrong.

“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Return to “Milagre Town Square”