(video game thread)Just wonderin if...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Neo, I agree about the whole "It's like reading a good book."

I love that they created other parts of the story, too. Like Advent Children and Crisis Core. I haven't played Dirge of Cerberus, so I'm unsure of how related that one is.

I'm currently waiting for FFVII to download on my PS3, and then I'm going to copy it over to my PSP for the plane tomorrow.. I'm so excited! Which is why I'm posting, because the anticipation is killing me.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:28 am

i'm happy i brought that to your attention.
Ubernaustrum

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Yes! Thank you so much! I haven't actually played it yet, as I ran out of time before my trip to put it on my PSP and I just got back two hours ago. But I'm really excited to play it! I just have to figure out how to work my TV so I can play it..

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:44 pm

why what's wrong with your tv?
Ubernaustrum

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Well, see, there's nothing wrong with my TV! It's just.. I've never actually turned on my PS3 myself, and we have many, many things hooked up to the TV.. I realize it's probably just as easy as changing the input and the.. I have no clue what it's called.. I call it the sound box, it's where you choose what sound will play from.. But I've always been intimidated by electronics.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:02 pm

hehe that's adorable!
Ubernaustrum

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 pm

Anyone played or heard of that Infamous game?
The one like Grand Theft Auto with superheroes...

It's truly amazing.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Receiver

it's called a receiver because it receives audio signals from various devices so it can send those signals out to the speakers.

If you have separate components you need a receiver. So if you're not using the speakers in your TV you're probably sending the audio through your receiver to get it to the speakers.

I'm trying to come up with some sort of chemistry analogy to explain sound systems, but I'm drawing a blank. :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Re: (video game thread)Just wonderin if...

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 pm

(yes I know there are a lot of adults on here)
Since when? Who? Steve? I think that's as close as it gets. Granted, I haven't been on in a while. Do we have a bunch of newbie adults I don't know about?

More on topic, I finally picked up an Xbox 360 a couple months ago. I'm a bit behind on this current generation. Most all I've done with it is play a few hours of Halo with some friends and then I put it back on the shelf. It will be brought back down when Brütal Legend comes out. Maybe I'll pick up Ghostbusters.

I recently Homebrewed my Wii, so I've been going through my library of NES and Genesis ROMs again. I booted up the TMNT arcade game for NES the other day with an old friend I used to play it with. We were hardly ever able to get past Bebop "back in the day." We made it to the last level for the first time EVER and got whupped by Krang in our excitement.

I picked up Galactic Adventures this week. I spent a large amount of time that should have been put into the website that payed for the game on recreating Star Trek, Episode 18, instead. You all should know that episode. Right? Episode 18? Arena? The Gorn?! Come on, people. My Galactic Adventure version is mostly awful and takes a full four minutes to play through, but I'm calling it worth the effort. It has a full seven plays at this point. Oh, boy.

That's about it for my current gaming. Every now and again I'll pull up Mafia Wars on Facebook. I don't understand why I do it. There's no skill involved, it's nothing but a constant grind, and it never, ever ends. Yet I burn through another day's worth of Energy on getting some stupid item like Illegal Transaction Records, because you need a hundred billion of them to finish the higher level missions. Bothersome. At least it's better than Farm Town. *shudder*

ETA: Links galore!
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 pm

Oh.. A receiver.. Gotcha.. Thank you, locke! Either I'll remember that for the rest of my life or I'll remember you telling me what it is without actually remembering the word.. It's like flipping a coin, really. You'll never know what you'll get!

I sat and thought for about thirty minutes, and I couldn't think of any Chemistry analogies, either. But I really like that you tried! It makes me smile.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Receiver

it's called a receiver because it receives audio signals from various devices so it can send those signals out to the speakers.

If you have separate components you need a receiver. So if you're not using the speakers in your TV you're probably sending the audio through your receiver to get it to the speakers.

I'm trying to come up with some sort of chemistry analogy to explain sound systems, but I'm drawing a blank. :-p
Receptors?

Yeah, it's biochem, but still...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 pm

I think I've mentioned it before, but I've been playing some more recently, so I want to link Knytt Stories. Any level made by Nifflas is really enjoyable. "Colors" is also great, and "Don't Eat the Mushroom" is fun in it's own little way.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 pm

zero, I love this game. It reminds me kind of like Braid in its simple interface and play style, building upon past concepts, but mixed with Metroid... this is great.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:05 am

I don't get why Star Fox: Assault got such a bad rap. I remember hearing for the past few years that it sucked, but wasn't able to try it out myself until tonight.

I played for several hours tonight and lost track of time; it's a fun game! I'll admit the 'pilot' gameplay feels... unpolished; also the landmaster to some extent, but I didn't like the landmaster in 64, either. I just think the general idea works so well that it overshadows the small problems. Doing things like switching back and forth (multiple times) between an arwing and fighting on foot to fight ships and people was just a really neat mechanic.

And also admittedly... so far it can be difficult to tell what you're actually supposed to do / where to go. But that could be just because I'm used to tuning out the useless in-game dialogue from the first two games ("do a barrel roll!"), and I'm just missing some things. And a single simple 2D radar is not enough for locating things in 3D, dagnabbit! But it's just resulted in do-overs more than actual frustration, and I find the levels fun, so I don't mind.

I also like that it's actually a bit challenging, which is a nice change from my memories of 64. But that's from playing on Gold from the start, and playing with the "advanced" controls for awhile without looking up what they actually are.

I also may have liked it more because I switched to Assault after getting disinterested fairly quickly in Adventures. I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood for that, or if I just don't have the patience for those kinds of games anymore...

dgf hhw

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 pm

I got the Star Wars Best of PC package for my birthday in June.
5 Star Wars games ... ... so much time to play them over summer break

Anyways, my two favorite games out of the five were Knights of the Old Republic and Battlefront. Anyone else play?
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:16 pm

KOTOR for life. KOTOR II had the Influence system, which I loved, and a lot more gray-on-gray morality, which I also loved, but not much else going for it, including an ending. But you should still play it.

Other than those, I'm not much of a Star Wars gamer. Although I have been known to play the tabletop.

Row--row.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:26 pm

I've been trying to play KotoR II, except my computer decides when I can play it... Sometimes it'll work, sometimes not. This is the only game I have this problem with...
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Played through Bourne Conspiracy over the weekend—an epic disappointment. The enemies take about thirty thousand bullets before finally keeling over. In addition, the hand-to-hand fighting system breaks down to hit-hit-hit-block-block-block-hit-hit-hit-block-block-block-hit-hit—I think you get the idea. Also, I refuse to recognize anyone not Matt Damon as Jason Bourne.

I've also been playing Dawn of War II. I'm always disappointed with the shortness of DoW campaigns. Maybe it's just that Blizzard RTS campaigns seem to go on forever that makes them seem so short. I've yet to really try the multiplayer as I'm not on the best connection at the moment. Also, holy cats that game is demanding of your graphics card. I set everything as low as it would go and still hit slowdowns with too many units/explosions on screen.

And I've been playing through the Zero Hour campaign, several eons after its release. I really wish EA would support their titles indefinitely à la Blizzard. Generals and Zero Hour are two of the most entertaining RTS titles I've ever played, but they fail forever to balance issues thanks to EA's set limit to patches before moving onto the next game.

What else have I been playing... Picked up Call of Duty 4, again. I still prefer it over World at War. If I could take Cliffside and put it in CoD4, I'd be set as far as current FPS titles are concerned.

Oh! Has anyone been playing 1vs100? I've jumped in a couple times and really enjoyed it. We should get a Party of Pwebbers in there sometime, if there's interest.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Also, I refuse to recognize anyone not Matt Damon as Jason Bourne.
Not even Guillermo?

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Excuse my links:

Today's Xbox update reminded me of the most amazing release of the summer: The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.

I'm sad to say I was not much of a PC gamer during the heyday of LucasArts. A friend had one of the Indiana Jones games which I loved to death, but I mostly lived on my shabby old SEGA Genesis in those days. In short, I have never played the original Monkey Island or Grim Fandango or Full Throttle or Day of the Tentacle...

It wasn't until I stumbled across Psychonauts over a decade later that I was introduced to awesomeness that is Tim Schafer. I have since been avidly following the both Tim's company Double Fine as well as Ron Gilbert, eagerly awaiting the next bit of brilliant game design to ooze from either one of their minds. Double Fine will shortly be releasing the sure to be awe inspiring Brütal Legend, and Ron Gilbert has been working at Hothead Games on the Penny Arcade Adventures, as well as his own DeathSpank, another episodic entry.

All this aside, the Special Edition of Monkey Island caught me completely by surprise, is absolutely amazing, and what I'm really here to say is that everyone what calls themselves gamers needs to play it. Along side it, Telltale Games—episodic game developer extraordinaire (Sam & Max, Strong Bad, Wallace & Gromit)—is currently running a Tales of Monkey Island "season" for Wii and PC. Talk about epic. Alas, I'll have to wait until I'm finished moving back to Fargo in a couple weeks to get started on the first episode.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Did you mention Psychonauts? Oh, you did. Mmmmmm, Psychonauts.

Then again, you're the only person to have ever recognized my avatar...

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Indeed. If any of you Pwebbers have A) never played Psychonauts, B) own an Xbox 360 and C) have $15, proceed immediately to the Xbox Marketplace and download it. Otherwise jump on ebay and find a cheap PC/Xbox/PS2 copy. It demands playing.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Yume Nikki (ゆめにっき/"dream diary") is an... interesting game. I believe this is the origin of "uboa" (which I just saw in-game tonight), and is generally very creepy and can be unnerving.

I'm almost finished, I think (20/24 effects, or somewhere around there). Using a guide at some point is probably recommended; I got 18 of them before looking at one, but the areas just take so long to explore... and some events are random; I don't feel like taking the time. Doing as much as you can on your own I find rewarding, though; lets you get the feel for it more.

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Then again, you're the only person to have ever recognized my avatar...
Correction: the only one to have COMMENTED on your avatar, Mr Pokeylope.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”