In what order should they be read?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

EG, SftD, X, CotM, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, EiE
44%
EG, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, SftD, X, CotM, EiE
13%
EG, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, EiE, SftD, X, CotM
31%
Other
13%

Total votes: 16

Gov%ShakespeareCol
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Gov%ShakespeareCol » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 am

My girlfriend recently asked me to read the EnderVerse novels to her. (Part of this thing that we have started doing in which we read our favorite books aloud to each other -- lots of fun, and can be quite romantic when combined with a bottle of wine and an evening-in together.)

Anyway, I went ahead and read her Ender's Game, but now I have found myself with a dilemma. In what order should I proceed?

I have come up with three possible sequences:

Sequence 1: EG, SftD, X, CotM, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, EiE
Sequence 2: EG, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, SftD, X, CotM, EiE
Sequence 3: EG, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, EiE, SftD, X, CotM

What do you think? Is there one that I haven't included that you think works better?

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 pm

You could let her decide. You could read EG and ES, then see what direction she wants to go. I would personally go with the Ender Quartet, the Shadow series then EiE, but why not let her decide.

Arlecchino
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arlecchino » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Go chronologically.

Have her read First Meetings in the Enderverse minus the story about Jane and the EG short story.

Then read Enders game up until the final battle. Ya, Stop her at chapter 14 and make her read EiE up to when Andrew leaves Eros and have her read the rest of the ES series.

Of course you can then carry on with the rest of EiE and the EG series.

Complicated much?

margeman2k3
Launchie
Launchie

Postby margeman2k3 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm

I would read it like this:
1. Ender Quartet
2. First Meetings & EiE
3. Shadow Series

not_vichyssoise
Launchie
Launchie

Postby not_vichyssoise » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm

u definately have to read ender in exile after the shadow series because it has bean's son
“I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.”
-Rene Descartes

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Go with configuration one. This is how they were written and obviously how card wanted them read.This is the best possible way to read the books, mostly because ideas that card came up with later are interpolated into the newer books making it easier for readers to make correlations between new information and the older books. Plus, the story just flows that way. I would, however, put Ender in Exile directly after EG as it is a companion book that expands, explains and ends that book. Ender's story has to be told before Bean's because Ender is the sole basis for the entire series. Bean was a secondary character in EG and so his books come second, even though i like them better than the speaker series.

not_vichyssoise
Launchie
Launchie

Postby not_vichyssoise » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 pm

NO! you can not read ender in exile before you shadow, because u need to know about bean's condition and his son
“I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.”
-Rene Descartes

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:50 am

YES! I just thought of that! Thank you, n_v! I don't remember anything in EiE that explains anything about Bean's "condition" at all. Of course, I haven't read it since Christmas, but, I do think you would have to read the Shadow series before you read EiE. EiE is a good book, but it doesn't go into lots of detail about Achilles/Randal/Arkanian. If you haven't read the Shadow series, you might get a bit lost.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 am

You forgot "War of Gifts". Should it be read between Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow or in the middle of Ender's Game if your doing it chronologically.

The short stories in First Meetings definitely the first two before EG and the last one after EG and the Shadow series.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:09 am

Of course, if they started with the first two stories in First Meetings, and they got bored, the person probly wouldn't bother reading the real work of art, Ender's Game.

I first read the books this way: EG, ES, SotH, SP, SotG, SftD, XD, CotM, First Meetings, EiE. It was partially cause of the availability of the books, and the fact that I started SftD before ES, but got bored.

If I wanted to reread them, I would read them this way: the first two stories in FM, EG, The third story in FM, The Shadow series, EiE, the last story in Fm, then the Speaker series. Then I'd probly read CotM again and again until I got tired of it. (that one's my favorite)

You could probly read the FM all together if you wanted after all the series.

I still haven't read Intergalactic Medicine show... I've been trying to find it at the library for a while.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Good point nv. I still think they should be read in publication order though. Just for sequence and storyline and also just homage to the author.

not_vichyssoise
Launchie
Launchie

Postby not_vichyssoise » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:27 pm

well thank you for thinking so. maybe u arent all idiots....

they should be read in the order they were published. orson scott card published them in that order for a reason.
-Rene Descartes

Wednesday
Launchie
Launchie

The first way!

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:50 pm

I like the first way better. However, don't forget A War of Gifts! EG, SftD, X, CofM, then the Bean series, starting with Ender's Shadow. Then, I would do First Meetings, Ender in Exile, and finally, a War of Gifts.

Wednesday
Launchie
Launchie

Actually...

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Actually, perhaps option 3 would be better. It would be nice to save the best for last, and I can't help but feel that Children of the Mind is the best...

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 am

I just read everything in the order it comes to me. When I start any series I usually fall into it and have to have every edition , primmer or short story on the subject ,and then re-read it till I'm sic of it.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”