(video game thread)Just wonderin if...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

(video game thread)Just wonderin if...

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Any of you all play Super Smash Bros Brawl.(yes I know there are a lot of adults on here).

If not, what online multiplay games do you play?

Or what games do you play in general?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: (game thread)Just wonderin if...

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Any of you all play...(yes I know there are a lot of adults on here).
Adults can and do play video games, too; it's not something restricted to the under-18 crowd.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:08 pm

I got it when it came out, but never play online. It takes forever for a match to load, and then you have two Ikes and a Wolf against you, and only in Final Destination.

I prefer to play with a group of friends. There are about two who are way better than everyone else who cancel each other out, and then the rest of us are human, so we play well with each other. Items on... Smash Ball sometimes... man, good times. Love that game.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Brawl is awesome (go Marth!), but Kingdom Hearts (2) is the best! I mainly play video games for the story and the cut scenes, so yay RPGs! I love the storyline in Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core has the best cut scenes ever, though.

I used to play Counter Strike (not well) with my tech class, too!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Re: (game thread)Just wonderin if...

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Any of you all play...(yes I know there are a lot of adults on here).
Adults can and do play video games, too; it's not something restricted to the under-18 crowd.
In fact, the latest data concludes that the average gamer age in North America is something like 30. I'm not kidding. Google it, you'll find tons of sources. It make sense considering that those who got hooked on games like Super Mario Bros. back in '85 are all grown up now.

I don't have a Wii though.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Two of my teachers are great examples of that. They're both around thirty (and good friends with each other). Some of their shared interests are Magic: The Gathering, Warcraft, Rock Band, and Disc Golf.

One of them is the computer tech teacher, and he has Left for Dead, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament and Frozen Throne on the computers in his room for his students to play when they get done with their work, or come in after school.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm a bit of a games nerd, so I have far too many games. I'm most obsessed with VALVe's stuff and the Metroid Series, so my most-played games are probably:

Portal
Team Fortress 2
Half-Life 2, ep.1, ep. 2
Left 4 Dead
Garry's Mod
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2

And yes, I do play SSBB when I want to just waste time, or with friends
'Tis fun

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Brawl, pssh
I remember seeing commercials for the original smash brothers on Channel One News. That was a great game. ;)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Don't forget the SSB/Duck Hunt combo! With the gun controller!

Purity Control
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Purity Control » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm a Xbox 360 junkie. I play Battlefield and Halo respectively.

Also, has anyone here played "Braid"? That game rocked my world almost as much as Shadow of the Colossus did!
For now all my concentration is focused on inertial control and navigation. Targeting isn't even a consideration - I will be engaging my enemy at arm's length.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Brawl, pssh
I remember seeing commercials for the original smash brothers on Channel One News. That was a great game. ;)
Do you possibly mean THIS commercial?

I remember that, too. Man, remember how Donkey Kong was the super-cheap character? And Ness? Now those were the days...

Row--row.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I like the orginal the best. (I still have an N64 in my room)

The only game I like playing online is Mario Kart.
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Sorry adults for acting like you guys are too good for video games.
Especially since I'll probably be playing video games when I'm an adult, as well.

I play the Kingdom Hearts series as well. Too bad I don't have the console needed for Birth By Sleep and the other one. :cry:

Yeah. I'm a vet to the Smash Bros series as well. I have both the Gamecube version and the N64 version.
However, currently I'm pretty much addicted to Brawl, for some reason. I mean, I've had it for more than a year(I think) and I still play it obsessively at times. For example, just today I played both Melee and Brawl at my friends house.

Any of yall, that have wifi, want to play sometime?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Brawl, pssh
Do you possibly mean THIS commercial?

I remember that, too. Man, remember how Donkey Kong was the super-cheap character? And Ness? Now those were the days...
O man, I miss the good ol' days.

I just busted out some serious Mario Kart 64 today. It's still amazing.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:11 pm

I don't really like playing Brawl online. Whenever I play Brawl wifi there's major lag.

LilBee91, good ol' days? I still play N64.

Kingdom Hearts rules! My friend and I had a contest, who could beat the game on Proud difficulty first. I won 8) ! Sephiroth was my favorite battle, and I always liked playing as Mickey Mouse. Too bad they'll probably make 3 on PS3. And Birth by Sleep is PSP exclusive :( . At least I can get the DS one. What's it called again?

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Too bad they'll probably make 3 on PS3.
I'm so hoping for this. I got a PS3 solely in hopes of KH3 being on it. I mean, it's a pretty awesome system no matter what! But when I was debating getting one or not, even the chances of KH being available on it sold me... I'm way too into Kingdom Hearts, but it's just about the perfect video game for me. I get really scared in video games... I get into them a lot? The music in Harry Potter 3 plus the dementor scene scared me so much... I haven't played it in over a year. But Kingdom Hearts has the Disney movie characters, while still having a great story and fighting. I also pulled out the PSP about a year ago when I heard there'd be a KH game for it. That's how I found Crisis Core!

I'm borrowing a DS for 358/2 days. I'm a PlayStation girl?

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 pm

I forgot, what's the name of the new creatures in Birth By Sleep?
Wait, Birth By Sleep doesn't count as KH3?

Another good game series is God of War.
It's good plotwise, gameplay wise, and its basically awesome overall. Any of you all got it?

Btw Halo Fans. Make sure your prepared for the future. =(
http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/ ... f%20Gaming

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: (video game thread)Just wonderin if...

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Any of you all play Super Smash Bros Brawl.
I tried playing brawl, but I can't stay away from the 64 version.
Man, remember how Donkey Kong was the super-cheap character? And Ness? Now those were the days...
DK, really? Maybe I've just never played anyone good with him, but I never felt that. Ness has his spike, though, and a really good grab; pikachu's was fast, though. I used to, and still do, annoy many a player with kirby and fox.

And yeah, as someone else said, whaddaya mean those were the days? I had people in my apartment playing a few rounds of smash64 in the apartment just last week, and I'm in the middle of playing through Zelda OOT again for the countless time. Soon we'll probably break out the Goldeneye again (after awhile it starts to strain on the eyes, though...)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:17 am

Another good game series is God of War.
It's good plotwise, gameplay wise, and its basically awesome overall. Any of you all got it?
I have it. The first game is one of my favorite games ever; I wasn't able to complete the second one (too busy with school), so I left it aside for now, but it rocks as well.

Also: Anyone here play Ratchet and Clank? Main reason I'm sorry I don't have a PS3.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 am

Brawl is awesome (go Marth!)
I beg to differ =P Ike is my man :D

I like to play a lot of systems, but I don't own any of the new ones (gamecube...sigh). But my floor was filled with VG junkies, so I played with them.

Brawl was a huge hit, and when we got bored with that we played Soul Calibur 4 on 360. They played other games, but those were the two I liked most. I'm REALLy addicted to Soul Calibur, but I can never remember all the combos...

It's not multiplayer, but does anyone play Spore?
June 2004...Gawd I'm old...

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 am

I’m 29 and I love to play video games. I own a Playstation 1, 2, and 3 as well as the original NES super NES and Sega Genesis. Granted the PS1 was opened up and used for parts and really pointless to even list because the PS2 plays all of its games. I primarily use the PS3 now. Love, love, love it!

My dad’s the one that got me hooked on video games actually, back in the days of Atari and Intelevision. We got the original NES system when it came out for over 100 dollars. Never bought many games for it though, really didn’t need to. We had like 4 places to rent from; which was good because when you’re 6 you can’t really afford 40-50 dollar games. Still, most of my time growing up was spent playing Sega Genesis.

So as I said, I’m playing the PS3 primarily now, funny thing though. I just downloaded Final Fantasy 7 to play on it. It seems funny to be playing such an old game on such a new system. The game is as fun now as it was the first time I played it though, and whatever, it's the closest thing to an RPG for that system. This by the way is something that needs to be rectified, and FAST! I grew up playing the original Shining Force games and Uncharted Waters, Gemfire and a handful of others. Yet this genre is lacking in the Next Gen arena. The closest they’ve gotten has been button mashers and first person slashers. Fine, it’s an interesting take on the RPG genre, but where’s the love for the original style? It shouldn’t be that hard to do. I mean the story is the most important thing, then battle, then game play, then graphics. The best thing about Shining Force was its story and its strategy style battles. Surely someone can make a game like that and pretty it up a bit. Hell, I don’t even care so much for the prettying it up bit. Just make it longer. There’s talk on the web about ps3 getting the Uncharted Waters Online game though. Which is good and all, but I have my doubts. It’ll probably only be released in Japan again. That’s ok; I think they could do it better anyway. It looks shoddy the way it is now anyway. Which brings me to my next point: They tried bringing Shining force to PS2 and even gave that game a sequel, but those two games weren’t RPGs so much as button mashers. Perhaps I’m overly nostalgic but I would like to see the Shining Force, Uncharted Waters, and Gemfire franchises brought to the Next Gen systems. New and longer stories, same game play, better graphics. I think they would do really well. The painful fact is that there haven’t been any good RPGs since Final Fantasy 7. Even the Final Fantasy franchise hasn’t been able to beat that one yet. There is hope though. I saw the trailers for FF 13 and 14. They look really good.

On the PS3 I own Iron Man, GRAW2, GTA4 (though I still like San Andreas better so it still gets a lot of play) Assassins Creed, Battlefield: Bad Company, Army of Two, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Shaun White Snowboarding, Tiger Woods 09, Bourne Conspiracy, Lost Via Domus, and Metal Gear Solid 4. Most of them even have decent replay quality. I still play on old school systems too. Admittedly it’s because of the RPG factor. Dragon Warrior on NES, Breath of Fire on PS, Uncharted Waters and Shining Force 1 and 2 on Genesis, and Gemfire on Super NES. My wife has also been playing a lot of the original Mario on NES too.

I used to play a lot of Star Wars Galaxies Online. I LOVED that game. I miss it. Then they did that stupid combat upgrade and changed everything. People no longer had to work to be a Jedi, the combat changed, all the professions changed. It just wasn't fun anymore. I still played for a year or so after the combat upgrade destroyed it but after awhile everyone I knew that played stopped playing... for a lot of reasons. Then I ran out of time to commit to it. Paying for the chance to play no longer made any sense to me. If they made it free I would join up again, no doubt.
Ubernaustrum

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:42 am

The painful fact is that there haven’t been any good RPGs since Final Fantasy 7. Even the Final Fantasy franchise hasn’t been able to beat that one yet.
I think that you have to look at this logically. When FF7 came out, it was like nothing else before it. 3 discs, shockingly good graphics (for the time), a million things to do, great story, etc.. This was the game that got so many people hooked on RPGs (including myself, I hated RPGs before this). When you have a game of this magnitude, it is almost impossible to stack up to. But graphics aside, I think FFX comes pretty damn close. FFX has a unique and entertaining story, each party member brings something to the table story wise, good villains and a couple of twists that you don't see coming. But FF7 has the most badass villain (they are never going to be able to beat Sephiroth), the most likable party leader (the FF franchise has failed miserably in this category since Cloud) and one of the biggest twists in story line ever.
*spoiler*
Aries dying. Absolutely did not see it coming and the first and only time a video game story line actually made me sad.
*spoiler*
That being said, I don't know if any FF game will ever live up to 7, but 10 is a great game and certainly came close. And although not a typical RPG, I think FFXII is a good game as well.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 pm

I’m 29 and I love to play video games. I own a Playstation 1, 2, and 3 as well as the original NES super NES and Sega Genesis. Granted the PS1 was opened up and used for parts and really pointless to even list because the PS2 plays all of its games. I primarily use the PS3 now. Love, love, love it!

My dad’s the one that got me hooked on video games actually, back in the days of Atari and Intelevision. We got the original NES system when it came out for over 100 dollars. Never bought many games for it though, really didn’t need to. We had like 4 places to rent from; which was good because when you’re 6 you can’t really afford 40-50 dollar games. Still, most of my time growing up was spent playing Sega Genesis.

So as I said, I’m playing the PS3 primarily now, funny thing though. I just downloaded Final Fantasy 7 to play on it. It seems funny to be playing such an old game on such a new system. The game is as fun now as it was the first time I played it though, and whatever, it's the closest thing to an RPG for that system. This by the way is something that needs to be rectified, and FAST! I grew up playing the original Shining Force games and Uncharted Waters, Gemfire and a handful of others. Yet this genre is lacking in the Next Gen arena. The closest they’ve gotten has been button mashers and first person slashers. Fine, it’s an interesting take on the RPG genre, but where’s the love for the original style? It shouldn’t be that hard to do. I mean the story is the most important thing, then battle, then game play, then graphics. The best thing about Shining Force was its story and its strategy style battles. Surely someone can make a game like that and pretty it up a bit. Hell, I don’t even care so much for the prettying it up bit. Just make it longer. There’s talk on the web about ps3 getting the Uncharted Waters Online game though. Which is good and all, but I have my doubts. It’ll probably only be released in Japan again. That’s ok; I think they could do it better anyway. It looks shoddy the way it is now anyway. Which brings me to my next point: They tried bringing Shining force to PS2 and even gave that game a sequel, but those two games weren’t RPGs so much as button mashers. Perhaps I’m overly nostalgic but I would like to see the Shining Force, Uncharted Waters, and Gemfire franchises brought to the Next Gen systems. New and longer stories, same game play, better graphics. I think they would do really well. The painful fact is that there haven’t been any good RPGs since Final Fantasy 7. Even the Final Fantasy franchise hasn’t been able to beat that one yet. There is hope though. I saw the trailers for FF 13 and 14. They look really good.

On the PS3 I own Iron Man, GRAW2, GTA4 (though I still like San Andreas better so it still gets a lot of play) Assassins Creed, Battlefield: Bad Company, Army of Two, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Shaun White Snowboarding, Tiger Woods 09, Bourne Conspiracy, Lost Via Domus, and Metal Gear Solid 4. Most of them even have decent replay quality. I still play on old school systems too. Admittedly it’s because of the RPG factor. Dragon Warrior on NES, Breath of Fire on PS, Uncharted Waters and Shining Force 1 and 2 on Genesis, and Gemfire on Super NES. My wife has also been playing a lot of the original Mario on NES too.

I used to play a lot of Star Wars Galaxies Online. I LOVED that game. I miss it. Then they did that stupid combat upgrade and changed everything. People no longer had to work to be a Jedi, the combat changed, all the professions changed. It just wasn't fun anymore. I still played for a year or so after the combat upgrade destroyed it but after awhile everyone I knew that played stopped playing... for a lot of reasons. Then I ran out of time to commit to it. Paying for the chance to play no longer made any sense to me. If they made it free I would join up again, no doubt.
I have GTA4 as well. Never really beat it though...and same with San Andreas. Mostly, because my brother would hog the game, since it was his, and like play it, while I watched(with both of the games)...So after watching the game get beat, I kinda lost interest in beating it.

However, I used to have soooooo much fun playing GTA4 online, against random people. I was like a beast at it. In free for alls, people would sometime just like team up on me.
Like, one time it was like no auto aim, and I'd been killing everyone the entire match. Finally, last four minutes, they decide to team up.
I'm just walking along, and then three cars drive out of nowhere, and like try to ram me and shoot at me.
I dodged into the front steps of a nearby building and managed to escape.

I was like Jason Bourne at GTA4 online, when I was in my prime.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I do. I like the creation concept Spore gives, but I don't like the gameplay itself as much. Other than that, making creatures is fun.
Last edited by ^Peter on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 pm

The painful fact is that there haven’t been any good RPGs since Final Fantasy 7. Even the Final Fantasy franchise hasn’t been able to beat that one yet.
I still love VII, but my number one RPG of all time will probably be Tales of Symphonia. It has the most cliches and tropes you can fit into a single game, all of the characters have been done and done to death, the voice acting and dialogue is laughable, my friends and I make fun of it endlessly...

...but if you say a bad thing about it I will hate you for life. There's just something about it. My entire first playthrough I was laughing at all of those problems, but then beat it and realized I was more sad that it was over than for any game in a long time. It's really difficult to explain. I'm sincerely hoping someone else has played it to sympathize with me.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:58 pm

The painful fact is that there haven’t been any good RPGs since Final Fantasy 7.
How odd, you seem to have mispelled the number 6.
the most likable party leader (the FF franchise has failed miserably in this category since Cloud)
Cloud? Cloud? The best thing about Cloud was the Buster Sword.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/05/27/

dgf hhw

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:46 am

the most likable party leader (the FF franchise has failed miserably in this category since Cloud)
Cloud? Cloud? The best thing about Cloud was the Buster Sword.
And who since seven is better than Cloud?? Squall?? Zidane?? Tidus?? Vaan?? Not much of a choice there. Plus, I think you are underrating Cloud.

And after hearing from many people that 6 was so much better than 7, I finally got around to playing it. I must say, that the whole thing was very "meh".

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:11 pm

And after hearing from many people that 6 was so much better than 7, I finally got around to playing it. I must say, that the whole thing was very "meh".
That's pretty much how I feel about Chrono Trigger, although I haven't actually finished it yet. I've played FF 4, 7, 8, 9, and Chrono Trigger. So far 7 is my favourite.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 pm

That's pretty much how I feel about Chrono Trigger, although I haven't actually finished it yet. I've played FF 4, 7, 8, 9, and Chrono Trigger. So far 7 is my favourite.
D:
Chrono Trigger is legendary. :evil:

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:52 pm

D:
Legendary != good.

Just so you know. Myself, I only played a few hours of the game, on an emulator, so you can't blame me for not having good opinions of it. I hate emulators.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:57 pm

D:
Legendary != good.

Just so you know. Myself, I only played a few hours of the game, on an emulator, so you can't blame me for not having good opinions of it. I hate emulators.
It starts off slightly slow.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:32 pm

I still love VII, but my number one RPG of all time will probably be Tales of Symphonia. It has the most cliches and tropes you can fit into a single game, all of the characters have been done and done to death, the voice acting and dialogue is laughable, my friends and I make fun of it endlessly...

...but if you say a bad thing about it I will hate you for life. There's just something about it. My entire first playthrough I was laughing at all of those problems, but then beat it and realized I was more sad that it was over than for any game in a long time. It's really difficult to explain. I'm sincerely hoping someone else has played it to sympathize with me.
I haven't played any of the Tales games besides about an hour of Legendia, but my boyfriend is absolutely in love with the series. Seriously. I hear about the games ALL the time. If I remember correctly, Symphonia is also his favorite. (Though he hasn't played Legendia or the new one for the 360.) He's told me a lot about the story, though, and it really sounds like you can lose yourself in it, in a good way. Though the ending seems really sad..

On a side note, I didn't know you could download FFVII on the PS3. That's really awesome! I love the story so much.. even if I haven't played the game..

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:44 pm

D:
Legendary != good.

Emulators are how I played all of the games I listed above except for FF4 which I have on the DS. I love emulators. :D

On a side note, I didn't know you could download FFVII on the PS3. That's really awesome! I love the story so much.. even if I haven't played the game..
Someone should write a novelization of FFVII. The story is one of the main reasons why I enjoy it. The first time I played through it, I would play for hours a day. I just had to know what would happen next. It's like reading a good book.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 pm

And who since seven is better than Cloud?? Squall?? Zidane?? Tidus?? Vaan?? Not much of a choice there.
I didn't say anything about the later ones; I've never played them, and I haven't heard much of a reason to.
Plus, I think you are underrating Cloud.
Nearly every character in FF6 I find better than Cloud (I'm not a fan of Locke, but eh...).

I also think I just hate something about 3d graphics in turn-based strategy, for whatever reason. I don't think I've ever played a game that did that that I liked.

[Edit: Yes, Aeris dying was a good story element in FF7, I will certainly give it that. I think the beginning of the World of Ruin in FF6 was more moving to me, but I already knew Aeris was going to die before I started playing, so it's not really a fair comparison.]

And FF6's story is great. The world actually turns to s*** like halfway through. Chrono Trigger is also awesome. I believe FF6, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana), and SD3 are the snes games I've played through the most times; at least for RPGs.

Have there been any newer games in the style of Seiken Densetsu 2/3? I don't think I've seen any, but I don't really keep up.

dgf hhw

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:51 am

I didn't say anything about the later ones; I've never played them, and I haven't heard much of a reason to.
My statement said since Cloud, the party leader's have pretty much sucked. So we are talking about two different situations. As for the ones after VII.
VIII - I hated. I got like 4 hours into it and stopped.
IX - Was okay. Story and characters weren't great, but a pretty fun game to play through.
X - I loved. Great game and very visually pleasing. Cool to see voice acting. Loved the story. You really should check this one out.
XII - Takes some getting used battle system. I liked most of the characters. Good story, but I was pretty disappointed with the ending.
(*note: I really wanted to play through all these games again (except VIII), so thanks for that zero)

I like the 3d graphics. I am kind of interested to hear why you don't like them? Or is it that you haven't enjoyed any of the games that use them?

I don't know about 6. Maybe it was because so many people built this game up in my head. Maybe it was because I played 7 first. But I just don't think that it stacks up 7.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”