Which is better?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Choose!

The Speaker series
65%
The Shadow series
35%

Total votes: 107

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:22 am

But I do know one thing, this discussion has definitely made me want to go back and reread the whole series.
Same here. I haven't read any of the books since Shadow of the Giant came out, and before that it had already been a while since I read any of the other books. Now that I think about it, it's probably been like 3 or 4 years since I last read the the original quartet!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:14 pm

I've been rereading SftD and Xeno right now. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:01 pm

I don't think that it just boils down to the subject. I agree that the geopolitics and military vs philosophy has a great deal to do with it, but I also feel the Speaker series is just better written too.
Yep.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:06 pm

shadow was ok, but speaker is the best.
Lost in the dark with only one light to guide us

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 am

Speaker!!!!! Ender RULES!!!!!!!!!
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:22 am

There were only 14 exclamation marks in your above post, DP, and only one word written all in caps. I think you're seriously missing the bar for annoying noob, maybe step it up a notch?

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:08 am

There were only 14 exclamation marks in your above post, DP, and only one word written all in caps. I think you're seriously missing the bar for annoying noob, maybe step it up a notch?
OMG I M NOT A NOOB YOU STINK JEBUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Was that any better? I can be a n00b. :wink:

ANYwho, Speaker is better because it seems more intellegent than Shadow. Bean drives me nuts. He's such a buggerlover.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Speaker is good but im only up to xenocide
and so far i'd say there pretty even
it still bothers me to think of the godspoken childern
the way some of them comit suicide
putting chopsticks up your nose and falling on the floor "OUCH!!"
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

petraXthebest
Launchie
Launchie

Postby petraXthebest » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:49 pm

i liked shadow the best, but speaker was still really good. It's going to be so awsome when the two series are connected. hopefully Card won't die before then....

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Thu May 01, 2008 7:23 pm

speaker series!!!!! :!:
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

CaseyJones
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CaseyJones » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Both of the stories are excellent, and I like them both for completely different reasons. I read the speaker series first, and the philosophical and physical science concepts is what really hooked me (being a physics major and sci-fi fan, it is easy to see why). Although, I enjoyed the shadow series more because of the tactical AND moral issues. In addition, the shadow series has more action and cliff hangers that keep you reading. I do have to admit, thought, that the speaker series gets intense, and I found myself rereading a lot of the scenes where they explain philotic concepts and the business with inside and outside space, mainly to make sure I understood it.
Once again, they are both good. I wish that I could forget I ever read them, just to start over. The shear enjoyment I got the first time I did was indescribable.... well, you all know what I mean.

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:43 pm

I like the Speaker series more, but I actually prefer Ender's Shadow to Ender's Game. Both of them are wonderful books, of course, but I enjoy Ender's Shadow because you get a much clearer idea of what is going on. In fact, I like the whole Shadow series because it casts light on everything that you didn't understand before.

It's a matter of perspective. Ender's Game was told from the perspective of a trusting kid. Ender's Shadow was told from the perspective of Bean, so you get a much broader view of what's really going on. And since Bean was so analytical, he was able to figure out what was really going on - and this information was shared with the reader. And that made it really really cool for me.

There were a few concepts in EG that just didn't work for me. The fact that the Wiggin parents were portrayed as such dullbobs kind of bothered me. And that Peter was portrayed as such an evil, conniving person bothered me, as well. I was happy that the Shadow series explored these characters in depth.

Of all of the books, Speaker for the Dead is my favorite. Ender's Shadow second, Ender's game third. Then everything is kind of lumped in together, with the exception of Shadow Puppets, which I rank dead last. Not that it is a horrible book ... I think it's more that when I read it I wasn't yet accustomed to Scott Card's cliffhanger style of writing for the series. I was annoyed, because I felt unsatisfied with the way it ended with no resolution.

I just re-read it, and I didn't dislike it nearly as much as I did when I initially read it - and I realized this is because I could immediately pick up Shadow of the Giant and get some resolution. Key word being "some." Ender in Exile is coming out none too soon ... although I still would rather read Shadows in Flight - if such a thing is actually still in the works.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Ender in Exile is coming out none too soon ... although I still would rather read Shadows in Flight - if such a thing is actually still in the works.
My feelings exactly.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Isn't it rumored that Bean and Ender will re-unite at some point? If so, then perhaps Ender in Exile and Shadows in Flight are the same book... or at least the same story in two volumnes, EG/ES-style...

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:39 am

No, not unless OSC has decided to go back to the drawing board. Based on what he's previously stated (and this is mostly from statements made years ago, which are of course subject to change), E in E is supposed to take place before SftD, and be about Ender arriving on a colony possibly governed by a jeesh member, and likely encountering the "9th child" and his supposed mother (refer to Shadow of the Giant if you don't know what that means). Shadows in Flight is supposed to take place after CotM, and possibly involve the new Peter meeting Bean's surviving children. Bean himself is expected to be dead by this time. So unless Card has changed his mind they are definitely two different stories.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

shadow_8818
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow_8818 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:17 pm

I fully believe that EG was the best book of the ender books but the shadow series seemed to appeal to me more. The speaker books were all kinda dark and gloomy an made me depressed. Good plot though in both
Daniel- you know speaking in the third person has proven that your crazy.
Rodney- crazy like a fox

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Personally, I'd say that the Speaker Series was overall better. Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were, arguably, and in my opinion, likely the best books of the entires Ender Series. The other two Ender Books, Xenocide and Children of the Mind, were, in my opinion, of lesser quality and I didn't really care for them too much (which might be a result of me reading Children before Xenocide, but that's another story...).

As for the Shadow Series, I haven't finished reading every book. There were only two I've read so far, Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Giant (as you can see, I read the Ender Series in a really odd order), they were both good, but I think that Ender's Shadow was a little better, but I liked Shadow of the Giant also. Currently, I am reading Shadow of the Hegemon, which, contrary to what I had previously thought, is actually turning out to be a decent book, I'd say it's better than either CotM or Xenocide. (To give a good idea of where I am currently in the book, I'm a little past the point were Virlomi is first introduced.)

In conclusion, I'd say that I liked the Speaker Series better, but the Shadow Series was good as well.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

StrivingForSatyagraha
Launchie
Launchie

Postby StrivingForSatyagraha » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:58 pm

While both series are amazing in their own seperate ways, I am going to have to go with the Shadow Series. I will agree with you guys that ES was pretty far out there, it seemed to me that as you progressed farther into the series, the harder it was to pull yourself out of it (There were some nights when I read the up side of 250 pages) and i just did not have that same flare, or to that degree anyway, with the Speaker Series.
And I always wonder-- Where is my Briseis

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Gee, why are there so many Shadow haters? Come on. I do think the Ender Quartet was better, but not by much. You can't really be satisfied with reading just one quartet. I mean, it's like yin and yang, movies and popcorn, oreos and milk. Hallo? Do my strange similes make my point? I support both series; Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Speaker, Puppets, Giant, Children of the Mind... You can exclude Xenocide and War of Gifts from my list, but that's getting off topic. :?
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Ah yes, so your message is: "stop being haters, embrace them all! I mean, I don't embrace them all but you should. Yes, you definitely should."

Shadow series can drink my ass gravy.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 pm

Pfftt...

Shadow series haters...

Try saying Xenocide is your favorite in the series and see how much crap you get. I mean, they even made a freaking xkcd comic about it. And judging by your post, we could definitely have some words about that.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Oh, yes. I definately do embrace them, Jebus. I do.
And a book series, even one as good as the Shadow quartet, can't drink anything, let alone your ass gravy. So, :evil: !

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Hey, I'm proud that Xenocide is my favorite of the series, and I don't remember getting much flak. You shadowers just don't have any fight in ya.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 pm

I remember getting a lot flak, not many people could even fathom putting Xenocide even close to Ender's Game or Speaker.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am

Watch out! for that "ass gravy" :P

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

?And what the heck is "Ass Gravy" ?

Any way, I think the speaker series was better, and CotM was one of my favorites other than the original EG. i still think that the Shadow series was pretty good. It might just be because i read the Shadow series before the Speaker series, but...
The shadow series is still part of my favorite science fiction series as a whole (with the speaker series, that its)

EDITED: Oh, I think I know what "Ass Gravy" is. Gawd, I'm dense.
Last edited by Jeesh_girl15 on Sat May 23, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:55 pm

I remember getting a lot flak, not many people could even fathom putting Xenocide even close to Ender's Game or Speaker.
I've been saying that Xenocide is better than SftD for years.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:27 am

Really, Xenocide is your favorite? Well, that one was my least favorite. I liked CotM best.

Purity Control
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Purity Control » Sat May 23, 2009 11:29 am

Speaker all the way. Card is at his best when dealing with moral issues, a prevelant topic in the Speaker series (afterall, Xenocide doesn't mean alien genocide for nothing). The characters were extremely well done, with relationships that took several books to flourish, but it felt more gratifying that way IMO. And the major plot twists in Xenocide and CotM are arguably some of the best in modern sci-fi.
For now all my concentration is focused on inertial control and navigation. Targeting isn't even a consideration - I will be engaging my enemy at arm's length.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 am

I like the Shadow series better it could be because I read it more recently than Speaker so I kinda forgot how much I enjoyed it
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm afraid to stand up for Shadow. Because I have a feeling I'm going to get mauled by a bear. And the Anti-Twilight bulletproof vest I've been wearing isn't as sturdy as it used to be.

I like Shadow, even though I read SftD and Xeno first. I just didn't get into it that much. I guess I kind of fail as a SF reader because I can't get into stories that are too "out there" (*dodges stone*), and Lusitania was a little harder to grasp. I read SftD, and while I thought it was decent enough to finish, I just put down Xeno in the middle. Then again, I was a kid when I picked it up. Maybe now that I'm a slightly older kid, I'll like it more when I go for a reread.

Shadow is a lot more immediate; I can still grasp some of the concepts. Whereas from SftD on, children become adults, children's concerns become adult's concerns. Like, really really fast. I had trouble with EiE because Ender was just growing up too fast. Shadow was okay, because Bean didn't change drastically. And I just like Bean better.

Glass
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glass » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 pm

The whole Speaker series and Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Giant were my favorites...Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Hegemon didn't really appeal to me...
Im reading Shadow puppets right now and the whole military aspects of it are a bore. Give me Speaker for the Dead and the pequinoes any day.
"...there silence suggested that they didn't want to talk about what they didn't want to talk about."

-from Teacher's Pest

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:55 pm

I actually quite liked the military aspects. They did make sense to me, and helped me look at a bigger picture. However, I did like the Speaker Series over the Shadow Series.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Although I liked the Shadow series, the fact that Ender is the main character in the Speaker series is the reason I prefer the Speaker series.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Why is it that you're always on when I am?

And yeah, as much as I like Bean, I find Ender more interesting, and I liked his story more than Bean's.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”