HELP ME!!! (please...)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

HELP ME!!! (please...)

Postby wigginboy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Hey everyone. My graduation from high school is on Sunday, and I have to travel back to Red Deer for it. My problem is this: My educational counsellor emailed me this afternoon and asked me to present a speech about my high school life, hardships, fun times, teachers I liked and stuff like that. The only thing is, I dont know what to say at all! It is almost Thursday, I leave for Red Deer on Friday and I have to have a polished practised speech ready by Sunday. Not much of a buffer zone here. I really dont want to let them down, considering I think this means Im valedictorian, but I dont know. HELP!!!

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Ouuuch. How considerate of them to give you so much time.

What mattered to you in high school? What are you happy to be done with? What do you miss?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:51 pm

Step One: Go offline.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby wigginboy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks for the advice EL, I need to stay off Pweb for a few days. And thanks for the suggestions anon, I will use them as a base for where I start.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:08 pm

I've always found it easiest to have a rough outline of what it is I want to say and then just fill in the blanks while I'm giving the speech. I hate people reading off cards or memorizing what they're going to say. It has no heart. I'm very informal with my speeches and that usually gets my point across or gets me high marks. But that's just me...

Salaam

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Stranger Than Fiction

Postby Bevis » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Make them laugh than break thier hearts
Chuck Palahniuk

Maybe Chuck's a bit intense for a high school graduation speech but it could translate. Start light, end deep, be brief in between.

And wigginboy, if you're reading this before Monday, you should study EL's Step One.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 pm

Since you are a Canadian, make sure to thank Tim Hortons. At my undergrad graduation my valedictorian thanked Timmies, Kinkos and the local Macs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:40 pm

Macs? McD?

The other two I can totally see. Also Sweet Dreams and possibly Mel's, depending on the person.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Oh... mixed up the name of the market... Macs is a convenience store, but the one he thanked was Farrah's... whoops.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:50 pm

Ah, yeah. Good old Farah's. Expensive, but 24 hours.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:47 pm

How'd it go, wigginboy?

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby wigginboy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:55 am

It actually went quite well. I didnt end up writing the speech until about an hour before the ceremony, and apparently it went amazingly. The vice-superintendant of the school division was sitting at our table and she told me I am a very good speaker. As well, more good news, I received a scholarship, which I was not expecting at all. I am using it toward my college education next year. I want to take Therapeutic Recreation (Gerontology).

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:16 pm

Lo and verily, wigginboy doth cry "HELP ME!!!!" and thine scholarship gods deliverith.

Yea wigginboy!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”