For all you computer people

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

For all you computer people

Postby CezeN » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
*shock*shock*shock*shock*shock*shock*shock*
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 pm

That's frakking ridiculous.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 pm

A little summary for those who don't click random youtube links without warning?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 pm

A little summary for those who don't click random youtube links without warning?
24 x 256GB SSDs in RAID 0 for 6TB of storage and throughput of around 2GB per second.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:29 pm

shrug, that sounds like an average work installation for me. though of course with regular HDs rather than SSD

and I'm not sure what the throughput is for single channel or even dual channel fiber.

I know single channel doesn't have trouble streaming SD video to twelve or more computers as well as a couple HD video streams.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:31 pm

shrug, that sounds like an average work installation for me. though of course with regular HDs rather than SSD
It was in a desktop computer :p and of course an intelligent SD streaming solution (assuming it was the same video being streamed, or even several different videos, vs something like youtube) would keep the video cached in RAM anyway. The new Mac Pro's support up to 32GB of RAM and dual channel fiber.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:21 pm

*drool* OMG I want one!!! So Bad. That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. 6 terabytes? Insane.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 pm

I think I saw an article recently with benchmarks that those SSDs actually decrease in performance as time goes on. I'm too lazy to find the article, I think it was was on engadget.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 pm

oh my.

someone help me.

I actually considered earlier today actually buying photoshop.

I'm scared, hopefully this condition isn't life threatening.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:33 pm

oh my.

someone help me.

Buy? Why not "borrow"?

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 pm

oh my.

someone help me.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

If the interface offends you, there's always GIMPshop.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:52 pm

The GIMP just doesn't compare to Photoshop.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 am

The GIMP just doesn't compare to Photoshop.
Please tell me what you do with Photoshop that you can't with the GIMP. I realize for photo editing professionals the difference is there, but for everyone else? I've never been in an instance where I though "gee, this would be a lot easier with Photoshop"

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 am

Photoshop has this fairly steep learning curve. You open it up for the first time and go "what the frack?!". Then you mess around with it for a few hours here and there, for a few years, and you get good with it. Then someone shows you gimp and you go "This is dumb".

It's kind of like Blender in relation to 3dsMax. People tell me that interface is super intuitive, but every time I try and learn Blender I end up going "This is so dumb!!" and going back to 3dsMax.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:31 am

Photoshop has this fairly steep learning curve. You open it up for the first time and go "what the frack?!". Then you mess around with it for a few hours here and there, for a few years, and you get good with it. Then someone shows you gimp and you go "This is dumb".
I've had the opposite reaction. Photoshop is pretty easy to use, but people always complain to me about the GIMP interface, but after a couple weeks of using it, I found it to be the most natural thing in the world. No accounting for tastes I suppose, but seriously, on the feature front, what do you actually use in Photoshop that you can't do with the GIMP. The only thing I can think of is the liquify filter, but I'm pretty sure there's a free plugin to do that anyway.
It's kind of like Blender in relation to 3dsMax. People tell me that interface is super intuitive, but every time I try and learn Blender I end up going "This is so dumb!!" and going back to 3dsMax.
either is massive overkill for the sort of modeling I do :p Milkshape + QuArK ftw.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:36 am

I use a genuine fractals plug in to upconvert pictures to better resolution. blows the generic photoshop upconvert out of the water.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 am

I use a genuine fractals plug in to upconvert pictures to better resolution. blows the generic photoshop upconvert out of the water.
Give this a shot if you really like Genuine Fractals: http://members.home.nl/m.weisbeek/gimp/#ps

or try out the GREYCstoration plugin for GIMP: http://cimg.sourceforge.net/greycstorat ... tion.shtml

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Genuine Fractals is my friend. It is a must have.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:14 am

sometimes when I hit backspace it takes me back a page, and I have no idea why it works as though I had 'clicked back'.

why does my computer do that, what triggers it to go crazy on me?

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:46 am

sometimes when I hit backspace it takes me back a page, and I have no idea why it works as though I had 'clicked back'.

why does my computer do that, what triggers it to go crazy on me?
If you're cursor isn't in a textbox/textarea when you backspace it does that. Usually if you hit forward again you'll find any partially typed posts as you found them.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”