How about that weather, then, eh?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:04 pm

this week in VT we've had one day that was 0 degrees (Fahrenheit), followed by a 60 degree day, then it started cooling off again and snowed 6 inches followed by an inch of sleet and some more snow. Yesterday the temperature was again in the single digits, and today it was around 25. "Vermont, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it'll change"
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 pm

That seems like a somewhat long time to take in getting power to people at this time of year in such a cold place. Did they give any reason for it?
I guess it's just because there are so many places to still repair that they are prioritizing by how many people are effected by each particular line down or whatever. From a high of 200k without power, they are down to about 85k in the region. They are working around the clock but there are still pockets left without it. They have had shelters set up throughout the area to go and stay in. We had to do that in the blizzard of October 1987 (I was 10). We were without power for 3-4 days. But that was the last time this happened; so once every 20 years isn't bad!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Luet, that looks SO cold but SO beautiful. I'm sorry your power was out for so long...I feel bad for your hubby without the generator! I'm glad the lizard and cat are okay though :D

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 am

That seems like a somewhat long time to take in getting power to people at this time of year in such a cold place. Did they give any reason for it?
I guess it's just because there are so many places to still repair that they are prioritizing by how many people are effected by each particular line down or whatever. From a high of 200k without power, they are down to about 85k in the region. They are working around the clock but there are still pockets left without it. They have had shelters set up throughout the area to go and stay in. We had to do that in the blizzard of October 1987 (I was 10). We were without power for 3-4 days. But that was the last time this happened; so once every 20 years isn't bad!
That makes sense. I suppose I should add that the only time I've ever lost power (for longer than a few moments) was years and years ago on a marine base and it was such a small area effected(affected? I hate those damn words...I can never remember which to use) that they put us in the barracks overnight and fixed the issue in the meantime. There were maybe 10,000 people I want to say -though I could be way off there. We also didn't have the extreme weather you have (CA desert).

You are quite right; once every 20 years is pretty darn good. :)

ETA: While I'm in here, my hands are frozen to the point I'm having a very difficult time typing. It's probably only in the 50s *waits for people to call me a wimp* but I freeze faster than my family, so they won't let me turn the heat on or use the fireplace.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Nomi, I'm glad you were all ok!

Here in Colorado, we've had some lows of -30 and highs of -5 the past few days. Today was warmer; it was actually above 0! The rootbeer that I drank with dinner last night was slushy because we keep our pop in the garage. Brrrrr!!

At least there is snow to go with it. I hate cold without snow. If there is snow, it makes the cold bearable!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07 am

It's rather sad I am no longer able to log onto Pweb and see Kirsten talking about the bad weather we're getting.

*sigh*

We had a lovely blizzard over the weekend here in the frigid north that is Fargo, North Dakota. I haven't the slightest idea how much snow we actually got, but there were meter thick drifts everywhere. The weather warning read something along the lines of, "I-29 is closed state wide, I-94 is closed from [city near the west side of the state] to [city near the east side of the state], most other roads reported as impassable."

Good times.

I suppose you Winnipeg types picked up some of the wonderful weather we got here. I think you're now in charge of telling people about our weather, Jan. This takes far too much effort...

ETA: It's been pleasantly chilly here, as well. Well into the -20s F, wind chills down to the -40s F.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:45 am

I am so incredibly happy not to be in Winnipeg right now, Chris. It`s deathly cold there now, and I am happily in Niagara Falls with my in-laws.

Here there is a lovely coating of snow on the ground, and I can go outside in only a jacket - not a jacket, mitts, touque, hood, longjohns... etc.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 am

I had to look up the word "touque". Just a hat people, nothing to see here.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:58 am

It's rather sad I am no longer able to log onto Pweb and see Kirsten talking about the bad weather we're getting.

*sigh*
Hehehehe. Sorry. After you wrote that, I went backed and looked -- I did like to complain, didn't I? :) I hope someone up in the northern plains will pick up that torch, so I can be nostalgic.

Snowed here, finally. People are complaining. I'm happy. Got down to the single digits Monday. Went outside expecting to die of being cold, since I figure I'm becoming a wimp. Nope. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. My intensive winter weather training is holding me in good stead.

The Kansas cold does not impress me. Nor does the Kansas heat. Nor does the wind, although it is irritating from time to time. What does impress me, though, is how rapidly the weather changes from one thing to another. I've been in lots of places where the locals talk about, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute. It will change." This is the only place I've been that lives up to that.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:30 pm

*nods sagely* Missouri weather is like that too. "Sit a spell and it'll change."
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:24 pm

I hate cold without snow.
Fred said this recently but I'm afraid I don't understand why either of you would feel this way. The way I see it, cold without snow is easier. But don't get me wrong, I think snow is good for some playing and a lot of staring at (it's really very pretty).
I had to look up the word "touque".
I had to do this a few years ago. Turns out it's just a beanie with a weird French name.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:49 pm

It's probably because snow is so fun and pretty, it makes the cold barrable. Otherwise I hate being cold and would rather have the heat.

It started snowing about 6:00am and hasn't stopped in surrounding areas. My town was covered this morning, but now it's all gone. My work was closed because of (as Will calls them) our death roads. They're solid sheets of ice.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:13 pm

I have to agree with the 'hating cold without snow' sentiment. For me, it's because when it is cold without snow then it is brown and ugly, and yet still cold and miserable. But when it snows then it makes it pretty at least, so there is a plus side to the coldness.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:56 pm

I have to agree with the 'hating cold without snow' sentiment. For me, it's because when it is cold without snow then it is brown and ugly, and yet still cold and miserable. But when it snows then it makes it pretty at least, so there is a plus side to the coldness.
My sentiments exactly. Snow is the only pleasant part of winter weather (except when you have to drive in it). It is indeed pretty, especially when it's floating to the ground in big fat flakes all around you, and it makes things feel Christmasy. Having sub-zero temperatures without snow is dark, depressing, and altogether unpleasant. You might as well just shut yourself in a meat freezer.

Incidentally, we may be getting our first big snow storm of the season on Friday. Should be fun. we just had a little one, about 8 or 9 cm, today.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Strangely enough, it didn't snow until just four days ago, which must be some kind of record, waiting this long. Naturally it snowed just in time to make my mother freak out about me driving home. She called up and offered to buy me plane tickets, totaling some $600 round-trip, before I told her no. Besides, where would the bunny go?

Where would the bunny go?

Anyway, I thought it was ridiculous, considering all of the other things I need help with, financial-wise, and the week-long trip they are planning for North Dakota.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:52 am

I am so incredibly happy not to be in Winnipeg right now, Chris. It`s deathly cold there now, and I am happily in Niagara Falls with my in-laws.

Here there is a lovely coating of snow on the ground, and I can go outside in only a jacket - not a jacket, mitts, touque, hood, longjohns... etc.
I'm the only one, then?

*sniff*
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:53 am

Texas! Crazy old Texas!

Monday--It was all rain mixed with sleet
Tuesday--The ground was completely frozen, sleeting and drizzly
Wednesday--It was foggy, visibility low, cold and drizzly, ice melting
Thursday--The ice was gone, foggy and drizzly, highs in the 60's
Friday--It was sunny, highs in the 70's
Saturday--Heat wave? Okay, no, highs in upper 60's, sunny
Sunday--Highs in 30's, lows in 20's, partly cloudy

Wow. Just wow. :?
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:12 am

Incidentally, we may be getting our first big snow storm of the season on Friday. Should be fun. we just had a little one, about 8 or 9 cm, today.
You must be fairly close to me, since that is exactly my weather/forecast too.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Toronto area, so just a bit north.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm the only one, then?

*sniff*
Yup. I finally can point and laugh. Muh-hah.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 pm

We finally have warm weather, but it's a drag... It's rained every day for almost a week, leaving me with headaches each day :( A welcome relief from ice and snow though.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:13 am

Both snow and cold are both great. Nyah.

The snow here has had a fantastic crunchy quality to it for the past few days. Whilst waiting for the bus I started to spell out 'PANTS!' with my footsteps, but sadly it arrived while I was in the middle of it, so it probably just looked like PANΓ or something.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:35 pm

My pointing and laughing has gotten it's comeuppance.

For those of us in So. Ontario right now (EL, Rei, Cam and Neo), how are you enjoying this insane snowfall?

It snowed about a foot today.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:02 pm

It sure makes it feel like Christmas. Perfect way to start my holidays, despite having to shovel the driveway just to get my car in upon arriving home.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:27 pm

This morning was taking the subway into work because I had no interest in walking the half-hour it would typically take in good weather. But walking home wasn't too bad, despite the amount of snow on the sidewalks.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:29 pm

:D we're getting blizzarded now, I'm trapped in town for the night, cause nobody wanted to drive the 6 miles from our house to pick me up.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:58 pm

You know, there's no workout quite like shoveling snow. I actually kind of enjoy the slight soreness that comes from the season's first exertion of muscles that I apparently don't use enough.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:31 pm

I didn't mind it. I took my turn shovelling the driveway around 11am, and pretty much stayed inside the rest of the day. It was windy in the morning, and that was rough to walk in, but the mulled wine and Disney movies made it fun to be inside.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

surditate_vero
Launchie
Launchie

Postby surditate_vero » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 am

I'd like some Disney movies and mulled wine right about now: it's a bloody -30 outside right now, about -42 to -45 with the windchill.

Why did I agree to get up at an ungodly hour today?....
What evil is there in deafness, truly?
~Cicero

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:07 am

*bump*
School's canceled. It's been below zero for weeks, and now it just finally warmed up, so the roads are awful. They don't let us stay home when it's -30 and windy, but if it gets to 40 above, I get to sleep more. I love it.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:36 pm

I'd like some Disney movies and mulled wine right about now: it's a bloody -30 outside right now, about -42 to -45 with the windchill.
Me too. I don't think I'll be leaving the house. Probably. Maybe. Ack.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:49 pm

My buddy intern and I had to give a walking tour of the facility today. I had on short sleeves and it was windy. I got chilly.

In the middle of January.

Hehehehehe
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:45 pm

I hate you. You used to be my buddy in this.

Why do I live in the frigid prairie? Whyyyyyyyy? Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??

I Hate Winnipeg. [/Weakerthans]

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 am

*patpat*

Honestly, I do feel somewhat like I've deserted you - and most of my friends and family - for the enemy camp. It's almost like survivor's guilt.

Hang in there. Eventually, it will warm up to the balmy 7 degrees above that we have here today. :)

(Which, of course, no one here thinks is balmy. Wimps. It's like, "Hello, it's January! It's supposed to be cold and have some snow.")
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am

Eleven degrees. Two ones, side by side.

I live in Tennessee for a REASON. It isn't supposed to get this cold!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”