Lest we forget...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Lest we forget...

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:17 am

My grandfather was a pilot in the RCAF. He flew Lancaster Bombers, I think, during WWII. He and my great-uncles Art and Doug somehow got stationed on the same base. They would watch him fly away, never knowing if he'd come back. He did, though. He always did.

I remember at his funeral (I was 11), the Royal Canadian Legion came. There wasn't any gun salute, but there was a piper, and all these old men, these veterans who saw a war as young men, were there. They each laid a little poppy pin on him, over his suit and his medals, before the casket was closed.

I took one, that day. I wore it for four or five years in a row for Remembrance Day, until I lost it. Now whenever I get a poppy in late October, I salute him, in my heart.

Happy Remembrance Day, everyone.

"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:21 am

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
— John McCrae
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:22 pm

My dad is a veteran of the Gulf War and was a non-combat Vietnam vet.

When he came home from the Gulf, he had tons of pictures of oil fires, military vehicles, and burnt cars/objects but the thing that disturbed me most was the picture of the charred bodies. At the time, I was disgusted with him for taking the picture. How could he be so callous? I was 8 and didn't understand that the picture was not the worst of what my dad had to do in that war. I don't like war, neither what it requires of the people fighting them or what happens to them and their loved ones because of them...but sometimes they're a necessary evil and I'm proud of my dad.

Ooh-rah, Devil Dog!

Happy Veteran's Day, everyone.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Ali, that poem came to mind when you mentioned the RCAF.

Anyway, my grandfather also served during WWII, though he was in the infantry. When I was little and he'd tell us his war stories, I didn't think anything about the scars. After all, his stories were all happy. We just wanted to hear about exotic places and wild adventures, anyway. But as I grew, I understood the truth a little better. And after he died, I got ahold of some of the letters he wrote my grandmother and, well, I never thanked him enough when I had the chance.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:12 pm

My Granddad was not only a brilliant engineer, who designed planes for the U.S. government, but was also a pilot in WWII. On one mission (I don't know the details of it) there was an explosion and he got shrapnel lodged in his skull. In spite this, he survived, fathered 12 children, and lived to be 92. He died almost 3 years ago, and if I get the chance, I'm going to go visit his grave when I'm home for Thanksgiving. I am incredibly proud of him, and everything he did in his life.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

surditate_vero
Launchie
Launchie

Postby surditate_vero » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:20 pm

My paternal great-grandfather fought in WWI. He survived the Battle of Vimy Ridge in 1917 and eventually returned home to start a family.
What evil is there in deafness, truly?
~Cicero

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 am

My own family does not talk about their history too much, so most of it I have surmised on my own. My aunt and ex-uncle both served in the Gulf War, during which time my primary family took care of three of my cousins. The only thing I know about the service there was that my aunt had to dye all of her underwear olive drab. My grandfather was a colonel in the Army during Vietnam, and I always assumed he had only worked a desk job until he unceremoniously presented me with his Army jacket, explained what the patches meant, and marveled at how comfortable and practical it had been, back when he had to wear it every day, and when it still fit him. I proudly wear it every day, too, and marvel at its comfortableness and practicality.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Exactly what is 'happy' about Remembrance or Veterans' Day? Our War dead died for a cause that we are still fighting for today. We remember so that we do not make the same mistakes and yet we still make them. More people died in WWI than in any other war in recorded history. This is not a happy occasion. We should look back with solemn hearts and minds and look forward with hope that someday we will come around and be peaceful. Sorry to rant on such a topic but I do not feel the greeting 'happy' should be affixed to Remembrance salutations.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:44 pm

I am happy all the vets in my life -father, uncles, cousins- came back home, if not whole, then as close to it as possible for what they had seen and done.

That does not mean I don't also mourn the loss of other servicemen and women.

That is all I have to say, as I'm afraid I don't like being lectured by people who know me not at all.

(I'm assuming my post caused that, since I see no other 'happy' in there.)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:57 pm

I think I get that, Alea. I'm happy for Veterans day because it means there ARE veterans, that people can come home and rejoin their families.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes, exactly that. :)

Maybe it's wrong of me, but I like to separate my observations and the emotions they elicit.

Veteran's Day is a time to celebrate returned heroes and Memorial Day is a day to more fully mourn and reflect on those who lost their lives.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:18 pm

I guess it's different in Canada and the UK - Remembrance Day is to remember vets and war dead. It's generally a solemn day, and we observe 2 minutes of silence at 11am.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:21 pm

I totally see where you're coming from, Alea.

And I agree.
-Kim

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:39 pm

I get it, but I could never wish someone a "Happy Remembrance Day" easily. That just sounds... incredibly weird and wrong. I think Ali is right about it being far more solemn here, as much as we are glad to have veterans who've come back.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:50 pm

It seems pretty obvious (to me) that Ali is also right in that it appears to be just different enough from our Veteran's Day, in that Remembrance day seems to combine the purpose of both our Vet's Day and Memorial Day. Which is fine.

ETA:
Whenever I've said "Happy Veteran's Day" to former and current members of the military around here (I have only once lived in a place that was not a military town, be it Marine or Air Force), they don't seem bothered in the least bit. In fact, they seem glad that I know what day it is and am not just thinking of it as a vacation day. When they start getting offended, I'll stop saying it.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:57 pm

That would make sense, combined days.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:52 am

Thanks for those who've clarified. I assumed Veteran's Day was equivalent to our Remembrance Day. I can see how it is a happy occasion to celebrate those who come home. To me, however, coming from a military background and having spent time in it myself, (not abroad, mind you, but know many who have been) Remembrance Day is a time for mourning and reflection. Sorry if it seems like I was ticked, it just took me off guard to see happy salutations.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 am

It's here again.

I have my poppy.

I remember.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 am

Veteran's day is always different, maybe even harder, when that's the population you work with. I've today off, and I'm actually glad. There is too much emotion in one room.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:36 am

well my grandpa couldn't join for ww2 cuz he broke his back so he had to stay home-side and drive a milk truck. the fact that he wasn't allowed to serve always bothered him.

but

his son *my dad* was able to join which my grandpa was soooooo proud of. dad joined the air force and after his 4 years took some time off before deciding to make the air national guard his career. he retired last year. forced retirement- there's no way he would have stopped working there on his own accord, he loved it. still i think he's enjoying retired life to a point. he did several tours over the pond and has been in practically every country.

on my other side, my grandma's second husband and his twin brother *who she dated after the husband died*(what a story) both served in the navy. both dead now.

my uncle mike was in vietnam. lived through it. died of cancer i think 8 years ago.

i also have a handful of friends that have pretty much done their 4 years and gotten out. one that joined a couple years ago and has a couple more to go. and one that is a lifer but he's crazy does a lot of spec ops.

i have never wished them a happy veterans day because that sounds inappropriate to me for some reason. but they appreciate it whenever i say thanks! :)
Ubernaustrum

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:44 am

I had a grandfather (mom's dad) in the Pacific and a great-grandfather (dad's mom's dad) in Europe in WWII and my grandmother (mom's mom) worked in a factory making P-47s. One of my uncles served in the Air Force during Vietnam but he never left the States. I also have several high school friends who served in the recent/current war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I marked the day by watching several hours of WWII in HD last night on the History Channel.
The enemy's fly is down.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 am

I tip my hat to those who gave it all for our great country and freedom.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 am

Erm... having read the conversation above, I'm not sure what to say, other than Happy Veteran's Day to those in the US who are celebrating the heroism and, Solemn and Reflective Remembrance Day to those who are remembering the cost.

My grandfather John was a Veteran of WWII, where he served in the Pacific. Our family out in New York is actually a family with some historical significance -- the church he went to (Episcopal) was established in the 1700s and our family helped to establish it. So, when he died, the church honored him by having a brief portion of the memorial service held with the cross and priest standing by the plaque dedicated to WWII veterans from that church. He was the last on that list to die. That side of the family talks about our ancestor, "The General" who was a two star general who served in the Mexican-American war and the Civil War. Also, I have a great, great, great, great uncle whose home was part of the Underground Railroad.

On my mom's side, I have a great-great grandfather (not sure how many greats) who, at the age of 17, took his horse, lied about his age, and joined the Union army in the Civil War.

I have a couple of uncles who served in Vietnam, and it cost them -- not physically, but it left scars. I have one cousin who served in the first Gulf War, and another who was in Iraq during the recent war in Iraq. I can't help but be thankful he was not near much of the fighting. He's a career National Guardsman and also helped evacuate and save people in Grand Forks during the flood of 1997, during which time he was shot at by a mentally disturbed woman who had not been able to get her medication. We strongly suspect his lung cancer had its roots in this service, as a ridiculously huge proportion of people who went through that flood eventually developed cancer.

I also have a lot of uncles/cousins who have served in times when there was not war, and am grateful to them for being willing. I'm very proud to be married to a former Marine (and a rifle expert, no less).

I pray for peace someday, and I do not always agree with the fights our country joins. But I am proud and grateful to know so many people who have been willing to offer their lives in military service to their country, and to come from a background of people who have served in that way.

(And I'm also grateful beyond measure to the WWII Mennonite conscientious objectors who founded the institution where I work, after having seen the suffering and maltreatment occuring in mental hospitals in the United States when they served, and who wanted to create something more humane and compassionate for those suffering mental illness.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 pm

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm not sure what to say here.

But Grandpa, I miss you and I remember you.

EDIT: Jan, is there any way you could send me one of those buttons? I really like them, and they do really fit in with why I wear a poppy. I know they must be around here somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:18 pm

ahh, Armistice Day...

both my grandpa's served, my maternal was in the Pacific, he was a radio operator on a ship. My paternal grandfather spoke fluent German and was probably an army translator since he was in Europe 43-44 but never saw action, he did mention being a prison guard after VE day, and that the big prisoner they had oversight of was Gen. Hess.

The paternal side of the my family didn't serve in WWI as they were still relatively recent German immigrants and probably faced a ton of prejudice, especially as they had a pretty successful farm for the area (including the first tractor in the area). I've sometimes wondered if prejudice played a role in the murder of my great grandfather (who was killed over a matter of moonshine) in the late twenties.

no idea on the maternal side of my family, other than that a cousin of a Great Great (etc greats) Grandfather was Gen John B Hood and another relative on that side fought in the battle of Wilson's Creek, one of those insanely brutal and bloody battles mostly forgotten now. my great grandfather would tell the stories his grandfather told of that battle, how the creek ran red for days after the battle, and that they softened their hard tack in horses blood.

everytime I hear the phrase, "lest we forget" I think of this John Wayne scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwKbcFL ... re=related
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm not sure what to say here.

But Grandpa, I miss you and I remember you.

EDIT: Jan, is there any way you could send me one of those buttons? I really like them, and they do really fit in with why I wear a poppy. I know they must be around here somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look.
Do you have an MCC ten thousand villages store anywhere nearby? That's where to get them.
I don't know where to get them around here, so unfortunately I can't send you one!

Or you can buy them online for a dollar!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:37 pm

We have a Ten Thousand Villages store in Albany. I had no idea that it was founded by the MCC. Very interesting.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 pm

We have a couple of MCCs here in town, but no Ten Thousand Villages (although if we could get out to Langley there is one there).

Steph, that was an interesting article and very neat that it was in the paper! I'm always glad to hear these stories, and especially glad when they are being shared with communities. It's so very important to me that we remember those who came home and those who didn't, and there is no better way to do that than by hearing these stories.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:00 pm

I really love the MCC. They're one of the few charities I support without reservation. I respect the work they do so highly. We'll have to go check out the local branch and see if we can find some buttons.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Re: Lest we forget...

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:55 pm

It's that time of year again.

I handed out poppies this morning while I reflected on a Canadian's comment about how we seem to worship our military. Worship? No. Respect the everlasting hell out of them? Heck yeah.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 pm

I was a little worried that people would forget today in all of the 11/11/11 excitement. Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case (well, according to my facebook news feed).

This year it's a little more poignant to me, though I am not quite sure why. I think as I get a bit older, I appreciate more what a sacrifice military service can be. It's hard to be away from you family that long, and I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a family member when they are away.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 am

Both of my grandfathers served in the second World War (Air Force and Navy, one in the South Pacific and one in Europe, respectively), and I have a cousin (Air Force) who continues to serve in the conflicts in the middle east. He's been over there a LOT, and he is SOMEWHERE right now (most of his missions these days are just to "somewhere") but will be back at the end of the month.

I may not always agree with the wars, but I respect those who serve in the military very much. They sacrifice a lot to do what they do.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:28 am

I may not always agree with the wars, but I respect those who serve in the military very much. They sacrifice a lot to do what they do.
Ditto.
The enemy's fly is down.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 am

I think I have a different perspective on Veterans. Most of the interactions I have with Veterans are negative. I'm verbally and physically attacked, degraded because of my age, sex, occupation or other such reason almost every day. It would be a lot easier to deal with if the abuse only came from those with mental health issues, but it so, so doesn't. I do recognize and appreciate that there are many more Veterans out there that are good and kind than are mean and nasty, but Veterans day is always a day that has mixed emotions for me.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”