Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:38 pm

When being sick means: no hugs, no kisses, no cuddling, no sleeping in the same house.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm

When being sick means: no hugs, no kisses, no cuddling, no sleeping in the same house.
I have a friend that insists being hugged is what makes her better again. So I say hug!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 pm

yes, well I'm known to say 'f*** it' and not do without those essentials, although this is almost always a dumb decision in the long run. :

hate baylor, stupid team put a scare in Missouri today, but at least we pulled out the W. still. We should not struggle against Baylor.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Texas. Can't they just go ahead and lose already? bah. stop trying to comeback. grrr...

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:38 am

That "vanilla" has come to mean "plain". Vanilla bean is instead rather exotic, and is used to create incredible, tasty flavours in a variety of products. Vanilla is not a lack of taste, vanilla is not "plain", vanilla is not white. Vanilla is a goddamn flavour and it tastes good.

Edit: I was looking around for a particular essay about this, but this one is close enough. Vanilla's downfall was just being too good of an iced cream flavour...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:03 pm

I totally agree! GOOD vanilla ice cream is tasty.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 am

The power apparently went off about 1:50 and my alarm was set for 2:20 and because the power went off that early I missed out on my entire day and didn't wake up until 6:40 and didn't get anything of the many things I meant to do today done. :(

sadly I almost set my cellphone alarm clock as a backup last night and then got tired and forgot to.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:57 am

I totally agree! GOOD vanilla ice cream is tasty.
And not just iced cream! I have some yogurt in the fridge right now that's great. I had a friend of mine ask me what the difference between vanilla and plain yogurt was when I was looking for it amongst yogurts at the store. I wanted to scream at him.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:55 am

I hate the fact that it takes ten seconds to render a frame that is entirely black except for a two-pixel strip of blue at the very top. With 5000 frames, that still takes 14 hours.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:20 am

That 24 hours is not enough. Is never enough.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 pm

When my favorite sports team loses.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

shadow_8818
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow_8818 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 pm

ppl who corect me gramer
Daniel- you know speaking in the third person has proven that your crazy.
Rodney- crazy like a fox

Grammar Nazi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Grammar Nazi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Willfully poor grammar.

Disdain for Gricean Maxims and effective communication.

shadow_8818
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow_8818 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:22 pm

What I hate is when they call George Bush stupid. the guy is obviously not in touch with the people and has know idea on how to run a country. But for a man who had one term as a governor. Then a c student at Yale and party boy he managed to become president and seize a lot of power for himself.
Rodney- crazy like a fox

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:00 pm

People who get 50-odd posts in less than a week.

And Writers block. Dammit. I can't think of anything to write for my NaNoWriMo.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 pm

I'm so weak that I am giving my ex-boyfriend another shot. Despite this being the second time for the same offense.
But he's a good guy all-in-all, so we'll see.

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Time change. It has ruined my week completely.

When it is dark outside before 5. It makes me think its 9 and it makes me tired.
"Killing Buggers was not homicide."
"No, I guess it was insecticide."

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Laundry. And dishes. Dishes and Laundry. I hate them! Grrr!! Someone send me a maid!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

shadow_8818
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow_8818 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 pm

Life
Rodney- crazy like a fox

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 am

How stupidly jealous I sound when I complain about my roommate's boyfriend. But seriously, it's so annoying that she used to only complain about him and apparently he figured out that he needs to try or something because recently he's stopped doing those annoying things.

If it wasn't for the fact that she keeps bringing up the fact that it's not a serious relationship and how awkward it always gets whenever he says something about how long-term their relationship is I would probably be even more annoyed.

Row--row.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Finance. Finance tests. Long nights of studying for finance tests. Not understanding finance. Not enjoying finance. Too many practice problems.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Getting food poisoning. Oh damn that sucked yesterday. I woke up in the morning with my entire front abdomen hurting. Within about an hour and a half I was starting to get nauseous. I then vomited and then spent the next five hours curled up in a ball of shivering, chilled, nauseous, half passed out pain-all-over on the family room couch. When I finally felt good enough to take something for pain (Motrin) I was then able to sit up and eat a little bit. That is, until 10pm when I decided to go to bed and couldn't sleep because I was dreaming about killing people (weird, honest, though watching Dexter before going to bed probably didn't help) at which time I started to hurt incredibly bad, shiver, and get chills. Spent the next several hours passing in and out of consciousness and wishing I was dead.

So, yeah, that sucked. The reason I think it was food poisoning? I feel, for the most part, fine today.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 pm

And dishes...I hate them!
Amen to that.

I'm unofficially the dish person around these parts (not out of a love for doing them but because my dad supposedly did such a good job domesticating me and it's one of the ways I can help my mom out) and if things go my way, I'm as happy a camper as I can be.

But Jiminy Cricket, my brother and his dish habits...

All I ask is that he do his dishes or, if I'm going to be doing them, that he sticks to one glass a day, rinses whatever dishes he uses (as in hold it under running water long enough to loosen up any residue), put them by the sink, and try his hardest to get them there before I do them for the day (or, on a good day, before I do them right after the meal).

Instead, he uses 2 or 3 glasses because he sets them down and forgets where he left them (or he steals mine!), he leaves food in/on his bowls and plates and doesn't rinse the cups, and he dirties most of them after I've finished with what was previously there.

At my dad's, I did them twice, once after lunch -included his breakfast dishes- and once after dinner, and there was no nonsense about it.

Right. I didn't mean to hate on dishes so much.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:40 am

your brother sounds like two of my three roommates. They can't even empty the dishwasher if it's been ran and everything in it is clean, they just see a full dishwasher as a reason to leave everything in the sink. grr. argh.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:11 am

I can not do dishes. I have this dislike of food that has been sitting out longer than an hour, and dishes just embody this hatred. I stick my hand in dish water and I gag. Strangely enough, I have no problem with vomit or bodily waste. Cleaning toilets is easy compared to dishes for me.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:26 am

I stick my hand in dish water and I gag.
So do I if it's not water I started out with; as in, my mom started them and asks me to take over? No can do, sorry, I'll gag and/or throw up. But if I started that water off, I can stick my hands in.

I probably said this before but I don't like dishwashers; all the ones I've run into require that you rinse the dishes off so well that you may as well follow through and just wash them yourself. The only one I've seen that was worth anything was at the Inn Janelle's parents own.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:36 am

I actually like doing dishes. They get all clean and stuff!

What is really annoying, though, is how my flatmates (well, probably not all of them, but it's hard to tell) just let dishes pile up in the sink (or, not in the sink; the counter, table, stove... with food still on them). I wouldn't really mind, but it makes the sink rather unusable after the stack reaches a certain height. And I mean, really, it's just a lot easier to clean something right after it's been used. I don't understand why one waits.

Edit:

I'm responding to a Bob post, and not entirely positively. I assume the original poster will let me know if this is a problem.
I think of a quote from A Bronx Tale: The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.
As I've said to you before, I did not really like Good Will Hunting. This is (one reason) why: I hate this notion.
"How have you been?"
Or variants of this question
Okay, this is somewhat more tangential, but I really hate getting asked this (always, without any exception I have experienced). Especially when the person who asked clearly has nothing else beyond that to say. And I haven't spoken to them in.... months. Just a "what's up?". I just always think "ack, what do you want from me?!"

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:07 am

Re: wasted talent

I'm not sure that I have a reason for believing that beyond my coming from a position where I'm mediocre at best in just about every 'talent' I have -it's like a 'jack of all trades, master of none' situation - and I feel some resentment towards those who are naturally good at something and choose not to embrace it. (Though, to be completely honest, there's also some resentment towards people who embrace their talent and make something of themselves. As I told Bob, I'm deep down not a good person.)

Life's unfair and all that, what with me wishing I had some skill I was truly a master of and (hinted at in Bob) my brother throwing away a great opportunity due to...well, I don't know what he was thinking. It doesn't matter, it's not my life and I shouldn't be upset with others for my own lack of direction.

Oh, and just to be clear, I do understand that people have to put effort into these things, that you don't master something (typically) right away. In my case, in most things I've tried my hand at, practice and effort just takes me from terrible to acceptable, where I tend to hit a plateau.

(Well, accept for teaching...my supervisors would have told you what a sponge I was, how natural it came to me, and how good I was at connecting with my little people...but yeah, no point going there right now.)

And zero, you're welcome to my dishes any day. :P

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Studying for 6 hours or more a day for several days, only to feel utterly unprepared prior to taking a final exam.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Being unsure of whether I feel ill or if I'm just exhausted and having allergy issues.

Mostly, I look and sound like death, but don't feel totally awful.
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:46 am

From Hell:
This isn't the place for blowing off steam
But this is. I just wanna say that the reason I started responding to that the way I did is that honestly, some of the responses from EL I've seen over the years remind me a lot of an attitude in my own field that really sickens me. In tech-related stuff, most people know the phrase RTFM*; usually learned for the first time by getting it shouted at them. I see people I worth with/for/around do things like that way too often, and it makes problems worse.

What I'm beginning to see now is how much more universal it is, rather than being specific to tech people.

* Stands for Read The f****** Manual. It's a response to basic questions that "knowledgeable" people get asked "all the time", and that can easily be simply looked up in the relevant documentation, or manual. It's a rude, elitist, response which epitomizes the (rightly-earned, in my opinion) negative view of administrators by users, or power-users by normal users.

dgf hhw

cyr
Launchie
Launchie

Postby cyr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm

drinking a glass of water, and only when it's too late did you realize that something was floating in it. Perhaps it was a piece of soaked meat, bread, crud, whatever. And the horrifying feeling after you drank it. Perhaps there is even some more in the glass after you accidentally drank some, and felt that unexpected wet chunk hit your tongue and fall down your throat.

ugh.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:53 am

That I don't have and can't find the complete take home final I wrote for my film theories class. It was pretty much the best thing I wrote in college and a fairly complete synthesis of all my classes distilled into a single paper. I only have the first three or so pages that I emailed to myself mid paper as a backup, since I was writing it in a rampant flurry of inspiration just minutes before it was due I guess I didn't have time to email myself a copy of the final thing (I was doing it in a computer lab to minimize distractions and my computer was being petulant at the time) and I'm almost 100% certain I picked up the graded final, but I haven't found that either. The bits I have are frustratingly brilliant and coherent (incredibly rare for me) so it makes me want to scream everytime I reread it and don't have a complete copy of it. :( I could polish it a bit and get it published in a film journal, I'm certain. :(

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Building a star ship the size of the Enterprise on Earth is like building a Carnival Cruise ship in Montana. There's a fundamental problem there, one the other movies didn't get wrong. Why does the writer think the enterprise beamed people up and down? because you can't land the f****** ship on a planet.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:52 am

Sleeping in, and not hearing my alarm... :x

Return to “Milagre Town Square”