Questions you've wondered about your fellow pwebbers

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:53 pm

My contact prescription is -9.00 in my right eye and -10.00 in my left.

When they're examining my vision, without corrective lenses I can't even see the bit "E" on the chart.

Do I win?

I got glasses in second grade, and then my vision degenerated so rapidly my parents started wondering if they were underprescribing as a scam of some sort so that I'd continually need new glasses. They weren't. My vision just got that bad, that fast. They stabilized around 9th-10th grade, which is around when I got contacts.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:05 pm

I can't see the big E either, but I'm only -5.75.

I have a question for all those who are members of the LDS church... (so, off the top of my head: Slim & Steph)

Is it offensive to be called a "Mormon"? What's the difference between calling yourself Mormon or saying "LDS"? Is it just old fashioned to say Mormon? Too much stigma attached to that name? What's the deal?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm

We're not offended to be called Mormons. It was a nickname given a long time ago and has obviously stuck. There has been some problems recently with people not knowing that the LDS church and Mormons are the same, so a few years ago, Pres. Hinckley suggested that we start identifying ourselves as LDS and educating others that Mormons are LDS so we can hopefully (eventually) get rid of the confusion. :)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 am

Vision: I've worn glasses since 3rd grade. Everyone in my family wears glasses, and I have the worst vision of them all. I prefer glasses over contacts and eye surgery. I just don't like the idea of sticking things in my eyes. Besides, I think I look better with glasses anyway. :)

I always ask my eye doctor what my vision is, and his answer changes every time (depending on the doctor) though it seems my prescription gets stronger every time. The worst was the first time I asked (about 8 years ago) and he said 20/1600.

I can't remember the negative numbers, but I would say around -8, but I really don't know. I'll have to get back to you on that after I my next eye appointment. I'm probably due.

But for some real perspective, to read the normal size print on this forum without my glasses, I have to read from three inches away.

Me and my youngest sister would sometimes play "How many fingers am I holding up?" across the room. The game usually goes like this:

Me: "How many fingers am I holding up?"
T: "Four"
Me: "How did you guess?"
T: "I just counted"
Me: "Are you wearing your glasses?"
T: "No. You can't tell?"
Me: "No. Okay your turn."
Me: "Tell me when you are holding up your hand."

Usually from there, we just play "How many limbs am I holding up.

------------------------------

Mormon: (To add to what steph said) The way I see it, the reason we emphasize "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" is because we realized a while back that a lot of people didn't realize we believe in Jesus Christ.

Personally, I don't mind being called a Mormon. But when talking about the church itself, I much prefer it to be called by the full name.

I find the Style Guide at the lds.org newsroom to be helpful.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:46 pm

EL,
What type of profession can you get with your degree?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:19 pm

I intend to live a life up in the ivory tower.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:46 pm

No glasses for me! I haven't actually had my eyes checked in years though.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 am

I used to have glasses, but at my recent appointment I was told I don't need them anymore! Yippee!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:24 pm

CandyMoon: Whenever I see your icon... "Cool kids wear whitie tighties" it makes me think "Cool kids have lower sperm count". Why the icon? Any qualms against boxers/going commando? What exactly makes whitie tighties cool? :D

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Wed May 07, 2008 7:13 am

This question is for Wizard:

I've always wondered, how many foreign languages do you speak?

:P

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 19, 2008 3:33 am

wigginboy, sorry if you have posted it and I just happened to miss it, I noticed your avatar and wondered: do you know the sex of your baby now?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 20, 2008 10:53 am

Ed, what sector are you looking to get into after this 13 week schooling process? If you want to share, that is.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 20, 2008 12:04 pm

in addition to finding the endercon oddyssey videos I also found my write up my adventures in Endercon, since I believe it's come up in this thread, here's what I wrote when the memory was fresh about Ollie-inna-trunk

I almost forgot one of the biggest highlights of the whole weekend. Since Naomi had found the correct parking lot, and we didn’t want to walk around, we all piled into her car, Dave Nathan and Noah all were already in the back seat, with Ollie and I looking on, so I said, “bye Ollie” and squeezed into the back seat as well, shutting the door and leaving Ollie looking rather astonished. When Naomi realized that Ollie couldn’t fit, she offered him the trunk, which he reluctantly accepted. So for about five minutes of circling the campus, Ollie was trapped in the trunk of the car, I cannot begin to convey how extremely funny this was, even though it put us all on the list. Ollie even called his mom to tell her he was in a trunk, a trunk in Utah, and then spelled out Naomi’s name for her. We got back to the hotel and after fixing the script headed off for the Star Party, we followed Naomi and managed to miss the final turn off, though this didn’t put us too far behind them and we eventually (about two or three minutes) realized our error(s). We got to the star party, looked at a few nebulas you could see since it was a little overcast, then I went back to my car, grabbed the quilt in it and brought it out for everyone that could to lay on. Most of Pweb did and we proceeded to sing a good version of Row, Row, Row your boat, followed by many not so good renditions of most of the recent Disney musicals, which included most of the songs from Lion King. After about an hour or more of singing and talking on the quilt all the clouds had disappeared and people trickled off to look through the man telescopes in earnest, this part was fabulous and beautiful. Star Party was overall great! We got back to the Hotel about 12:30 talked for an hour or so then fell asleep.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Ollie even called his mom to tell her he was in a trunk, a trunk in Utah, and then spelled out Naomi’s name for her.
He was such a crybaby! Wittle momma's boy.

Thank you for posting this, Adam. Great memories. I loved the Star Party.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Ollie even called his mom to tell her he was in a trunk, a trunk in Utah, and then spelled out Naomi’s name for her.
What's what he gets for pissing off the mormon mafia.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu May 22, 2008 6:37 am

Ed, what sector are you looking to get into after this 13 week schooling process? If you want to share, that is.
Alea,

That would be the information technology sector, more specifically working with databases. As it is right now, the BS in Computer Science and minor in Business Administration just isn't cutting because I have zero work experience. The program is intense. It's filled with projects, exams and the like. At the end I will be certified by Microsoft and be able to use my instructors as technical references, which is good because currently I have none. Also they have a career services department that will help me spruce up the old resume as well as market me after week 8 of the course. I know that once I get my foot in the door, I'll get a good position because I am a very good interview. However, I haven't been able to get my foot in the door. Hopefully this just the trick. I think it will.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 22, 2008 1:31 pm

As it is right now, the BS in Computer Science and minor in Business Administration just isn't cutting because I have zero work experience.
Don't you just love that catch-22? We won't hire you because you don't have experience but you can't get the experience until someone hires you.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I wish you the best of luck with it. :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu May 22, 2008 9:56 pm

As it is right now, the BS in Computer Science and minor in Business Administration just isn't cutting because I have zero work experience.
Don't you just love that catch-22? We won't hire you because you don't have experience but you can't get the experience until someone hires you.
I hate to be a brat (<-- that is my "warning: zero's going to be a brat" sign)... but at least in this field, the way I see most people getting around it is by doing stuff you don't get paid for. Software engineers can work on open source projects and stuff, and sysadmins/DBAs can run their own little fun systems, or run labs/websites/whatever for places on campus (or elsewhere). There's always plenty of this work to go around, at least it seems that way where I always am. So I never really understand complaints of this kind.

That program sounds pretty great, though. Best of luck!
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun May 25, 2008 2:06 am

This one is for Alea.... what's with the new name? :D

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun May 25, 2008 2:24 am

wigginboy, sorry if you have posted it and I just happened to miss it, I noticed your avatar and wondered: do you know the sex of your baby now?
Actually, no. Apparently the technician forgot to record the sex. The doctor was even quite bewildered. That's alright with us though. I didn't really want to know anyway. I'm all about surprises. As for my mother, well, she is upset about it, she really wanted to know so she could start buying clothes. Well, I guess generic colours it is.

My question is for all parents on Pweb. This is our first child and we are pretty young. The baby isn't here for another three and a half months and I don't feel like a parent yet. When did you first feel like a parent to your child(ren)?

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun May 25, 2008 2:28 am

This one is for Alea.... what's with the new name? :D
Go read Bob.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun May 25, 2008 2:47 am

Ah, damn, I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. The question had been floating around in my head since I noticed it a bit ago, and I just now decided to ask. :)

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Wed May 28, 2008 3:36 am

Also, suminonA, do you ever post in Milagre? 'Cause I've never seen any of your posts here.
I do. :) Including this one, the search says that I have 22 whole posts in "Milagre Town Square". :D
I post more in "Religion and Moral Philosophy" and "The Game Room", but that's because that's what I like here most.
I have a question - suminonA, shouldn't it be spelt suomynonA?
I don't think so. It doesn't come from "Anonymous", but from "Anonimus", given that I'm not an English native speaker, but a Romanic Language native speaker. :)

A.
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Wed May 28, 2008 9:15 am

I have perfect vision.

But I ALWAYS wanted glasses when I was younger! I knew that glasses meant that you couldn't see well, but I don't think I fully comprehended that needing glass meant you couldn't see well. It was a fanciful whim, and I confess that every now and then I still sort of wish I had glasses.
I wish I didn't need glasses. I've worn them since I was six.

I wear contact lenses sometimes, but my eyes don't tolerate them as well as they used to, so I don't wear them daily anymore.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Wed May 28, 2008 9:20 am

We got to the star party, looked at a few nebulas you could see since it was a little overcast, then I went back to my car, grabbed the quilt in it and brought it out for everyone that could to lay on. Most of Pweb did and we proceeded to sing a good version of Row, Row, Row your boat, followed by many not so good renditions of most of the recent Disney musicals, which included most of the songs from Lion King. After about an hour or more of singing and talking on the quilt all the clouds had disappeared and people trickled off to look through the man telescopes in earnest, this part was fabulous and beautiful. Star Party was overall great!
Oh, man, I remember this. It was so much fun. My kids and I rode over to the Star Party with Ami.

I think some of the Star Party attendees thought that those of us singing were nuts! :D

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 pm

To EL: How do you pronounce the first part of your name? (I mean Eaquae, of course).
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm disappointed you felt the need to include this:
(I mean Eaquae, of course).

It would have made it potentially funnier without it.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Ee-ah kwai, or something close to that. It's three syllables, and it's actually two words: "ea" and "quae". When I was new to the Internets I didn't think they'd let me get away with three words in a name, so I went with two.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

My question is for all parents on Pweb. This is our first child and we are pretty young. The baby isn't here for another three and a half months and I don't feel like a parent yet. When did you first feel like a parent to your child(ren)?
Not until I had my 2nd one. Seriously, there were many days before Brayden was born that I would wonder when Tyler's parents were coming to pick him up. It felt like I'd been babysitting him for an awfully long time and that couldn't be right, since I'm not really ready for the whole motherhood thing.

I hope it happens sooner for you!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 am

whoa, my cousin has two boys, Tyler (4) and Braydon (2). that's funny :p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri May 30, 2008 11:35 am

I'm disappointed you felt the need to include this:
(I mean Eaquae, of course).

It would have made it potentially funnier without it.
I thought about it myself, but in the end, it's not really that funny.
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Hey, you know what, you're right!

Thanks for telling me what I would find funny!

Now I can stop trying to figure it out for myself. :)

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

I was about to enjoy this, but do I need permission?
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri May 30, 2008 6:07 pm

I hate to be a brat (<-- that is my "warning: zero's going to be a brat" sign)... but at least in this field, the way I see most people getting around it is by doing stuff you don't get paid for. Software engineers can work on open source projects and stuff, and sysadmins/DBAs can run their own little fun systems, or run labs/websites/whatever for places on campus (or elsewhere). There's always plenty of this work to go around, at least it seems that way where I always am. So I never really understand complaints of this kind.

That program sounds pretty great, though. Best of luck!
Just to the Zero being a brat part.
All the slacking in college and getting jobs unrelated to my field of study really came back to haunt me.
That was from my Bob post. Hence my slacking in college and not doing anything related to my field came back to haunt me. But I actually did think that my degree would get my foot in the door. At least for an interview, which it didn't. That was my mistake. I know what I did wrong, so don't take it as me complaining. You can take that as Mr. Pinz being a brat.

Anyway, Thanks to you and Alea for the good luck wishes. Week 1 is done and so far so good.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat May 31, 2008 7:59 am

You're welcome. :D
Feel free to ask me anytime.
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”