Too Late for a 10 year old?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Too Late for a 10 year old?

Postby Jayelle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 am

This is a news story from my city. The "North End" is the... "bad part" of the city, and recently it's been in the news for the young age of kids commiting crimes there. A 10-year-old boy from the neighbourhood has set 31 fires in the past year or so - but can't be charged because of his young age.

A bit from the story:
Earlier this week, police "cautioned" a 10-year-old boy who they said set 31 fires that caused more than $100,000 in damage in a North End neighbourhood.

The boy was previously referred to Firestop and is now in a Child and Family Services crisis unit receiving intensive counselling.

Alex Forrest, president of the Winnipeg firefighters union, says it may be too late for the little boy.

"I am fearful of that child's future in regards to being a working member of society," he said, noting fire-setting is a background in many criminal portfolios.

"The tremendous problem that you have in the North End is [that] they start with matches, then they progress to [garbage bins], then they go to garages and then they go to houses."

From there, they move on to other crimes, he said.
What stands out the most to me is the quote from the firefighter. "Too late". How can it possibly be too late for a kid as young as 10? There are people saying "lock him up and throw away the key!" And it makes me upset. Yeah, this kid needs some serious help, but to say there's no hope?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:39 pm

If it's too late, that is likely a failing of the system. The question then is, what can we do different? If crisis counseling which should progress into a more regular counseling isn't what is needed, what is?

It certainly doesn't help if society decides to stigmatise him, though, and do all they can to make sure he remains a marginalised member of society.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Get the kid some pyrotechnics training and put his destructive tendencies to good use. Who knows, maybe the little fire starter is a prodigy.
The enemy's fly is down.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:13 am

Cause and effect.

Saying that the background says of many criminals that they start as firestarters only says some firestarters become criminals, not all.

There's still hope for the kid. Actually, it probably gives the kid a better chance of succeeding since they realize this kid may get into more trouble down the road, so they can start helping him now

I like the pyrotechnics idea. I bet the kid will love that.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Return to “Milagre Town Square”