Manga & Anime

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:59 am

2 seasons of Dragon Ball Z on DVD! The entire Namek/Freeza saga! In the last 8 or so years I've seen a lot of anime that is superior to DBZ in every way... or so I'd thought. Once I started watching it, it was like I was suddenly 15 again. Those were the days! I don't care what anyone says, DBZ will always hold a special place in my heart. :D
Hmm, I don't remember anything after that first Vegeta/Nappa encounter being any good ("over 9000" haha), but maybe I should give it another chance some time. And I'm told the manga isn't as much "waiting around" in the fights as the anime is; maybe I should look at it.

Anyway, I've started following Ookami to Koshinryou (aka "Spice and Wolf", though shouldn't that be "Wolf and Spice"? meh). I think it shows a lot of potential, though it's still very early. Opening and ending themes I love (I've never really liked any ending themes, but this one is awesome), and the show itself seems good. Might seem slow to some, but I like the peaceful feel; but hey, I also liked Haibane Renmei (talk about "not much happening"...).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Have I mentioned that Death Note is one of the best anime series I've ever seen, even though I'm not even half way through it yet? It's one of those anime series that's not just a good anime, it's a good television show... period. If it was live-action and made in America I could see it as a prime time hit. The premise, the psychology, the suspense, the plot twists, the never ending battle of wits between two geniuses, and a very thin line between good and evil... I just love it. I look forward to seeing the next episode each week soooo much. Even non-anime fans should give this series a chance.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:37 pm

I've heard a lot of good about that series. I need to find a copy sometime and give it a proper shot.

I saw part of Azumanga Daioh, earlier this week. Definitely not something I could watch loads of at one time, but still fun to watch in portions.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 pm

I saw part of Azumanga Daioh, earlier this week. Definitely not something I could watch loads of at one time, but still fun to watch in portions.
That's what everyone says, when they just see parts. Then you watch episodes at a time... you see cats in food... you dress up in little pink outfits...

Erm, anyway, Lucky Star is right along those lines, too. In fact, many people call it the modern Azumanga Daioh. The first episode spends eight minutes talking about which direction should one eat a chocolate cornet from.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:53 am

If you like Azumanga (and seen all of it), you'd probably like Lord of the Yen. Yotsuba& is also very azumanga-like, but is only in manga form.

Currently in the middle of watching: Excel Saga, Ookami to Koushinryou, Full Metal Panic!, and Soukou no Strain.

dgf hhw

charles
Launchie
Launchie

Postby charles » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm keeping up with Bleach and Naruto Shippuden, but I've seen a bunch of other shows. I usually only stick them out if the art direction is really good though. Samurai Champloo, Cowboy BeeBop, Death Note, and series in that ilk are ones I really like. I have trouble watching anime if the art is not well done like early Naruto, One Piece, and so on.
"I consider myself a perpetual English major, but I also get into bar fights." - Ted Leo

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:37 am

I am amazed by the difference in quality between Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. Fumoffu is seriously one of the best things I've seen in a little while (Sousuke is my hero, at least in Fumoffu). I'm very glad the people I know convinced me to watch it, after FMP! kinda let me down.

Edit: Finished Excel Saga. I appreciate the humor of it most of the time... but when they suddenly take out the gags in eps 24 and 25, I can't help but think it just suddenly got a lot better.

And for a little while (a few minutes in) I thought 26 was going to dissappoint me, after I heard about it's ridiculousness. But after they got to that hotel (a kind of love hotel, I guess).... yeah. Living up to it's name of "Going too far", though of course I've seen things go further. Just more than you'd expect from a tv show.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:20 am

So, I finally got around to purchasing the complete Cowboy Bebop off of Amazon, and, whilst discussing this purchase with friends and fellow fans (alliteration!) a month or two back, we decided to have a marathon. Of course, being college kids, one an architecture major, one an RA, one super-involved in everything, and the other being me, we had busy schedules, meaning that, after several different dates set and missed, we finally watched it yesterday (meaning we just finished today, at 5:00 am local).

One friend happened to look up something-or-other about Bebop while we were watching and found out that the first episode was broadcast on April 03, 1998.

Ten year anniversary.

Row--row.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 pm

New season of xxxHolic began in Japan yesterday. (or I guess 2 days ago, counting time zones.) Yay!
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Woo! ...I'm way behind on those books. Ever since I moved away I can't borrow them from my friends when *they* buy them.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 am

Watched Kino no Tabi ("Kino's Journey/Travels"). Good stuff; kinda Miyazaki-ish at times, but often darker, and better in my opinion. I think Kino is my favourite female anime protagonist. Apparently there's a couple of "movies" (seem more like OVAs; only 30-ish minutes) I'll need to look at.

dgf hhw

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 am

If you haven't seen it yet, and over-the-top is your sort of thing, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was my favorite anime of last year, even if, as a Gundam fan I'm required to promote 00 as the best giant-robot anime of the year.

Right now, I'm making my way through One Piece, which, now that I'm watching the subbed version, I can definitely approve of, though I have to wonder how many more people there are in the OP world with amazing abilities of direct use to a pirate ship with dreams that happen to point to the same direction as the main character's, fueled by the death or departure of someone near and dear to them.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:08 am

Has anyone mentioned Samurai Champloo? I really enjoy that but I only have 3 dvd's at the moment.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 am

It's been mentioned a couple of times before, but no one has really expressed an opinion on it. I thought it was okay. Pretty darn funny sometimes, characters you can really enjoy, etc., etc.

What I'm surprised has only been passably mentioned is "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya," like, the biggest thing ever in Japan. Well, maybe not, but it's pretty famous. Our friend Wiki says it's the most popular anime, at least.

Zero mentioned his favorite female protagonist. Well, Haruhi is pretty high up on that list.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:37 pm

I've started watching "Samurai 7". I think I'm going to like it.

Also, any Gundam fans out there? Anyone see the first season of "Gundam 00"?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Yeah, I watched through Gundam 00. I'm kinda on the fence about it. It's complexities aren't that deep, and the characters are somewhat hit-and-miss. I'm hoping the second season is better, though 00 wasn't terrible. Gundam's doing too much of resting on its laurels and trying to sell models, rather than producing really quality anime.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:32 pm

The last few episodes of the season really won me over. I really enjoyed episodes 24 and 25, and while I originally hated the idea of the 2 season set-up, I now think that it's a good thing. No other Gundam series has had this format, with a huge climax in the middle followed by a multi-year time skip. It allows for some interesting possibilities. It just sucks having to wait 6 months for the continuation.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:30 pm

So I'm not as big on anime as the rest of you, but I do like it all the same.

I owned every episode of Last Exile. That was pretty expensive.
I owned Arc The Lad.
I bought Steamboy. Never finished it yet, but I'll get around to it, the animation is terrific though.

And!!@!

Here is the major part, that will get me laughs, and maybe ostracized.

I bought the first 50 episodes of Pokemon on DvD. In box sets, for only 40 something dollars. And no I don't regret it. Because I loved the original episodes when I was 12. And after rewatching them now, I love them still.

I need the next 50 episodes to complete season 1 of Pokemon.

Then I'll be happy.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:36 pm

So, with Code Geass R2 hitting it's stride, I'm wondering if anyone else has enjoying following this series?

It's done a better than expected job of combining a couple different genres, and it's action sequences are pretty top notch. The characters... while there are a few I hate, I love to have them. (Screw you, Kururugi) Lelouch himself is probably more comparable to Light than any other character, recent or older, though a little less of an evil bastard.

Really, though, it does a great job of keeping me hooked. Definitely one of the things I look forward to on Mondays.
-Alan Watts

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:05 am

Serial Experiments Lain. Weird, creepy, interesting. Ending reminiscent of Eva in a way, but much much happier (in that it's not incredibly depressing and WTF like Eva). Some parts I... dunno, just had trouble paying attention at. I wasn't bored with it or anything, it's just rather dreamlike at times, and it makes me want to sleep.

Following Kurenai, which seems like it may or may not be good. Considering Golgo 13; I've heard both good and bad things, anyone heard/seen anything?

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 am

Lain... is a bit of a trip. The ending is certainly clearer than Eva's, although that isn't saying much.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri May 02, 2008 2:48 am

I'll wait to say anything about the series itself until I've finished it... but the opening for Elfen Lied is awesome. Without a doubt, the best I have ever seen; better than Eva. I spent so much time today just listening to it over and over again.

dgf hhw

Analytic Mind
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Analytic Mind » Fri May 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Cowboy Beebop, Lupin III and Kenji Muyo (all classics in my book)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon May 12, 2008 12:57 am

Eh, screw what I'm supposed to be doing, and screw the fact that there's not a lot of non-me activity in this thread lately. I feel like writing about a couple of things, both of which are long overdue.

First of all: Crayon Shin-chan. How have I never heard of this before? I just started seeing a few episodes of this during this year, and it's awesome. I have no idea what the original Japanese show is like (and it seems likely I never will, subs -- even fansubs -- seem almost nonexistent, and I assume it wouldn't even be funny to me anyways), but the FUNimation dub is great. I'm usually in strong favor of subs, and would be against significant dialogue changes and so forth.... but this time, it really really seems done well. I hope this does well in America; there's plenty of source material to use (over six hundred episdoes!), so it could be around for awhile if it's popular.

Okay, and the other thing I wanted to say something about: Elfen Lied. This series has me rather conflicted. At first, I thought it was great. Dark, violent, and a very strong opening. The first episode had me very intrigued, but a little uneasy near the end with what looked like just plain fanservice. (Well, you can call almost all of the nudity in the series fanservice, but it at least serves other purposes, as well.... not so in parts such as the later parts of episode 1.)

But I was optimistic. The next few episodes, though, severely dissappointed me. The storyline I was intrigued by seems randomly (temporarily) thrown away to make room for the stereotypical highschool-romance-type-thing, with the stereotypical Japanese ecchi harem theme. Ugh.

Things get more serious as the ending draws near, but the romance stays and eventually ties in. Which was.... not horrible, but not great.

Pretty much all storyline related to the Diclonii was great, through. Even if it had the cliché never-ending stream of stronger and stronger monsters (okay, only 3, but still, it seemed never-ending to a series that's only 13 episodes long), it was still enjoyable. Probably only due to the brevity of the series, though. It's like with DBZ or something, you just get people with higher and higher power levels or whatever? With Elfen Lied, just replace "power level" with "number/range of Vectors", and it's pretty much the same idea. But thankfully, it ends with the third iteration.

So, in all, it was kinda "eh". It really pisses me off, though, because it could have been so much better if it had concentrated more on the psychological and horror aspects. One would like to think that the more light-hearted scenes were just for contrast and juxtaposition.... and if it were done like that, it would have been awesome. But it wasn't, instead it was just crap. What what the hell is with that ending? Everything was going so well until the last few seconds. When I saw that, it made me want to punch the person in the face who thought that was a brilliant, clever, idea.

Awesome music, though. Most of the music in the series is just a variation on the opening theme, which you think would get old. But it never bothered me; I like to think because the song itself is just fantastic.

Edit: Oh, and I should probably mention (in case anybody actually reads this stuff)... Elfen Lied has a lot of graphic violence and nudity (especially the very first seven minues of the series), whether that deters or interests you.

dgf hhw

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu May 15, 2008 6:53 pm

I've decided to give up on Macross Frontier. Too much slice-of-life, not enough awesome mech-fighter combat.

Went back and watched the last two episodes of EVA again. Still WTFing, after all these years.
-Alan Watts

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu May 15, 2008 11:04 pm

I've decided to give up on Macross Frontier. Too much slice-of-life, not enough awesome mech-fighter combat.
Funny, the exact opposite happened to me with Heroic Age. FMP! had such good balance, I was hoping for it again, but no.

Row--row.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri May 16, 2008 12:51 am

FMP's anime was nice because they cut out most of the slice of life stories and put them into a nice little package called Fumoffu, and kept them from getting in the way of the original and TSR.

Code managed to strike a nice balance because the slice-of-life sections are actually some of the most tense moments in the show because Lelouche is a dastardly fellow, and we can't have his classmates figuring that out. With Macross it's like, "Ah, here's our newly qualified paramilitary pilot who flies a transformable mech battling bioweapons from the galactic core. But... let's ignore that for a few episodes to highlight a beauty pageant." No symbiosis what so ever.

But, Mich, when you say the exact opposite, do you mean you gave up on the show because it had too much awesome mech-fighter combat, or got enthralled by it because it had lots of side story moments?
-Alan Watts

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri May 16, 2008 1:40 am

FMP! had good balance in terms of amount of content, but I myself couldn't stand how the dramatic portions were executed by the time the series ended. However, I do think watching FMP! does make Fumoffu funnier.

Janus, are you talking about Macross Frontier, there? I haven't seen Frontier, but what you said almost sounds like something I could hear about the original Macross (which I thought was great). Have you seen the original Macross?

dgf hhw

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 am

Frontier just isn't my cup of tea. Part of its model is starting up a music video-esque scene along with every fight and cutting back and forth between the two.

I've only ever seen parts of Robotech, and I dunno how heavily edited that was from Macross, so I can't say if I'd have like the original.
-Alan Watts

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat May 17, 2008 1:11 pm

But, Mich, when you say the exact opposite, do you mean you gave up on the show because it had too much awesome mech-fighter combat, or got enthralled by it because it had lots of side story moments?
You make it seem so negative whatever my reasons! But I gave up on it because of the excessively long fighting sequences. Sometimes they would be nicely counter-balanced with character development, inside the fight or out, but all-too-often it would be endless "Ah'm chargin' mah lazar!" sequences. Of course, maybe FMP! was like that, and I just can't remember, as I watched it some time ago (in anime years), but I know myself pretty well.

Row--row.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun May 18, 2008 12:08 am

Picked up "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" in japan town last week.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Got Afro Samurai half on a whim from iTunes with a left-over gift card from Christmas. I've actually had it sitting on my computer for the past three months and have been waiting for a good time to watch all five episodes in one go. It was excellent. It's good to know a five-episode series can be just as engaging and full as a 13, 26, or 87-episode series.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:26 pm

I've been buying the Voltron sets as they came out, and now I just realized they've released the first golion set, I think I may buy it as well just to see the difference.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:57 am

On Afro Samurai: I've never heard of this before, but Samuel L Jackson as the voice of two main characters? I will have to see this sometime.

After taking a break for awhile, I've resumed watching Kurenai, which I recommend so far. The only thing I've seen this season that I've liked.

Edit: And I just saw that Ookami to Koushinryou ep 7 was finally released, and subbed. Yaay. There'd better be a second season of this...

dgf hhw

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Does anyone watch Clannad? I just started watching it, and it's really addicting

Return to “Milagre Town Square”