what in the hell was Petra doing?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

what in the hell was Petra doing?

Postby thatguy1944 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:37 am

It has been a while since i have read any BeanVerse...
But thinking back i remember Petra doing some whacky programming stuff with the dragon image...

now i think i know a thing or two about computer and images especially. But i do not know what it is that she was doing with the image...

Is Card messing with me? and goin all sci-fi dude? or is that some remenant of applications past?

can someone please help?
cuz truth be told i wanna do that too...
Seriously... just say ih (internal ha) from now on

because it never really is a laugh out loud...

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:08 pm

I think what you're referring to is the message in the image that was designed for Bean to find... right? So there was the dragon, the "clever poem" and the encoded message once Bean knew to look for it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the books here to quote or anything, but essentially, the dragon and poem were just to lure Bean into looking at the visual image of the dragon more closely, looking for a message of some sort. The message she "encrypted" was just a binary code (as I recall) playing with the size / color of the markings on the dragon, which she knew he could understand if he only noticed them in the first place.

I don't remember the message. Maybe it was her location? Basically, it was "HELP - HERE I AM" but I don't remember the specifics! It's been too long I guess. I need to go back and reread it!

PS - I thought it appropriate that I answer, since my avatar is that dragon... I only wish I remembered more details about it!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 pm

iirc the message was encoded in what looked like compression artifacts

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

i do remember what her purpose was, I was just curious about the techno side... the process itself...

and what are compression artifacts?

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Little nasty squares on jpegs that appear when the image is resized badly... You know, when a pic looks like its a close-up a of a really crappy webcam...?

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 pm

thats just rasterization...

i mean was petra hiding messages in between the pixels themselves? it didn't make any sense to me, if achilles had the battle kids under complete surveillance, how was she able to manipulate code and play with machine language.

I mean i can't even log on to myspace at school... lol

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm

It is a "phantom" that results from reducing an image (digitally).

A compression artifact (or artefact) is the result of an aggressive data compression scheme applied to an image, audio, or video that discards some data that may be too complex to store in the available data-rate, or may have been incorrectly determined by an algorithm to be of little subjective importance, but is in fact objectionable to the user. Artifacts are often a result of the latent errors inherent in lossy data compression.
So basically, Petra's code was camouflaged to look like something that happens by mistake while reducing an image to upload it onto the net, but it wasn't a mistake at all of course...

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:08 pm

thats just rasterization...

i mean was petra hiding messages in between the pixels themselves? it didn't make any sense to me, if achilles had the battle kids under complete surveillance, how was she able to manipulate code and play with machine language.

I mean i can't even log on to myspace at school... lol
Look the term 'compressions artifacts' up on wikipedia...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:17 pm

my question is how bean decrypted it... did card go into it?

Azarel
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Azarel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:21 pm

He got Chuck Norris to stare at it until it turned into a Magic-Eye and revealed the code to them.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Ooh! That's beautiful. Quick, let's take a picture before it goes away again! *gets misty eyed* Goodness gracious me. A dead meme.

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:36 pm

I like the magic eye theory... i love those things. and they come so easily to me....

I was always able to find the kangaroo and the star in the background! :P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:02 am

As I recall... he noticed the slight distortion around the altered area of the image, looked at the data around it, and somehow deduced the code that Petra used by just looking at it for awhile. OSC went into some details, but I can't even remember what the code was, so I can't remember. Something involving dropping all vowels, among other things, I think.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:08 am

Try opening that picture with WinRAR, change the extension to .rar if you have to. Not quite what Petra was up to, but similar.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:16 am

oooh! how would one go about doing that

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 am

Which OS are you running? It's simple to do in Linux and Windows I know, and I assume doing it on a Mac is similar to Linux, but I'm not sure.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:29 am

os x. similar to linux.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 am

Put the archive (.zip, .rar, .7z) and the pic (.jpg, .gif, .png) in the same location, and navigate to that location within a terminal, and once you're issuing commands in that location, use:

cat archive.rar >> picture.jpg

Then, to open it, change the extension and open it with whatever archive manager is appropriate.
-Alan Watts

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:36 am

Try opening that picture with WinRAR, change the extension to .rar if you have to. Not quite what Petra was up to, but similar.
Not really; I'd consider this to be a completely different thing. This only works because the RAR format ignores all garbage it encounters before it hits the RAR header, and most programs for most image formats ignore garbage after the image data. You're simply putting together two different formats. Petra was altering the image data itself, with a visible result.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm

well... it's a similar form of stenography. it's just that it takes about 10 seconds to figure it out, so it only stops users who use the "usual" tools (web browser of picture viewer) from getting at it.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 pm

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong because Stuffit doesn't want to open your hidden rar. I've seen these things before and I never have been able to get them to work for me.

The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Wasn't there a pwebber at one point who actually did make the dragon pic complete with encoded message? I seem to recall this.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:27 pm

that's because stuffit sucks.

use http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Wasn't there a pwebber at one point who actually did make the dragon pic complete with encoded message? I seem to recall this.
Yes, I believe so. And the Dragon I modified to be my avatar was that dragon, as far as I know (although I didn't make it). But the encoded message was a bit more "blatant" than a mere "compression artifact" I think. But it's been too long for me to remember who or how or when or what...

(As I recall, there is some Morse code along the spine... or was.)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:25 am

well... it's a similar form of stenography.
I think you mean steganography. And... the only thing I see similar between them is that they're both forms of steganography.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:04 am

what's two letters between friends?

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 pm

That's a pretty big assumption you're making.
The enemy's fly is down.

vernonhale
Launchie
Launchie

Postby vernonhale » Thu May 01, 2008 9:02 pm

My friends and I actually send each other messages embedded into pictures. I'm pretty sure that all we're doing is attaching binary code onto the end of the picture's info, but I'm not exactly sure. It's really simple programming.
-Hale

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am

I thought that she just turned it into standard ascii code, then turned that into 2 bit code, then shifted pixels in one part of the image to represent that - one line was just binary pixels.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:19 am

Yes, I believe so. And the Dragon I modified to be my avatar was that dragon, as far as I know (although I didn't make it). But the encoded message was a bit more "blatant" than a mere "compression artifact" I think. But it's been too long for me to remember who or how or when or what...

(As I recall, there is some Morse code along the spine... or was.)
I cannot remember whose this is. Someone on Pweb II had posted this .gif and I liked it so much I borrowed it. It has been lying dormant on my olde computer for four years or so. I think this is the image you both were referencing. Image

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Whoa, that's so cool! I'm borrowing it, if nobody minds...
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Xenocide_ENDR
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Xenocide_ENDR » Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 pm

I cannot remember whose this is. Someone on Pweb II had posted this .gif and I liked it so much I borrowed it. It has been lying dormant on my olde computer for four years or so. I think this is the image you both were referencing. Image
Any way to repost this image or have it messaged to me?? It appears dead now...
Well, I'm your man. I'm the bloody bastard you wanted when you had me spawned. I'm your tool, and what difference does it make if I hate the part of me that you most need? What difference does it make that when the little serpents killed me in the game, I agreed with them, and was glad.

LiQingJao
Launchie
Launchie

Re: what in the hell was Petra doing?

Postby LiQingJao » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

It has been a while since i have read any BeanVerse...
But thinking back i remember Petra doing some whacky programming stuff with the dragon image...

now i think i know a thing or two about computer and images especially. But i do not know what it is that she was doing with the image...

Is Card messing with me? and goin all sci-fi dude? or is that some remenant of applications past?

can someone please help?
cuz truth be told i wanna do that too...
Back to the original question... What Petra did was take an image, and erase a line of pixels from it, then fill in that now empty line of pixels with a new line of pixels. This new line's placement and arrangement corresponded to letters, and functions as her message. She knew that Bean could figure it out if anyone could. The attached poem and the dragon picture were hints about the content of the message; the dragon obviously corresponding to dragon army, and the poem mentioning 'lucky end...' corresponding to Ender. In this way, Bean knew that there WAS a message, and the line of pixels that didn't match with the original picture of the Dragon was the only thing that could be a message. It was designed to look like 'noise' in the picture, a problem with the file that happens a lot when you resize a picture and the quality changes. Bean knew that the incorrect line of pixels was a message, and was eventually able to match the pixel placement to letters and numbers that gave him Petra's location and a reference to Peter, among other things.

Check it out, this kind of encryption made the news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/201 ... linephotos
“For as the eyes of bats are to the blaze of day, so is the reason in our soul to the things which are by nature most evident of all”
--Aristotle

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow, it has been awhile since I have been on here. Unfortunately, I have lost the image. Sorry to those who wished to see it.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”