What is the Ukrainian word for "Bean"?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

What is the Ukrainian word for "Bean"?

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:49 pm

World's tallest man has trouble finding shoes, car, bicycle for his 8-foot-5 frame

PODOLYANTSI, Ukraine - Leonid Stadnik's phenomenal height has forced him to quit a job he loved and to stoop as he moves around his house.

But Stadnik, who Guinness World Records says is the world's tallest human, says his condition has also taught him that there are many kind-hearted strangers.

In 2006, Stadnik was officially measured at 8 feet 5 inches tall, surpassing a 7-foot-9-inch Chinese man to claim the title of the world's tallest person.

His growth spurt began at age 14 after a brain operation that apparently stimulated the overproduction of growth hormone. Doctors say he has been growing ever since.

While his size is intimidating, Stadnik charms visitors with a broad grin and childlike laugh. He seems at times like a lonely boy trapped in a giant's body, even keeping stuffed toys on his pillow.

Stadnik's stature has brought attention, but he struggles to lead a normal life.

All the doorways in his one-storey brick house are too short for him to pass through without stooping. His 440 pounds cause constant knee pain and often force him to use crutches.

(more: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 51-ap.html)
Poor guy...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:16 pm

I saw a documentary on people with similar conditions that made me question the predicted course of Bean's development in ES. As noted in the original quote, people seem to suffer more from the lack of strength in the leg bones and joints than neck support as Bean did, but then I suppose these people aren't subject to ever expanding craniums, either.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:09 pm

I'd also suppose that Bean would have it HARDER than those on earthh because he grew up in a low-grav environment

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 pm

Most bone formation, and hardening takes place in childhood, and is independent of gravity conditions, though the latter part is harder to test. Bean should have have as strong a skeletal structure as he was going to get by the time he went to Battle School.

If anything, Bean's time is low gravity would have eased the strain of his condition on his body, though it wouldn't amount to much during his time is Battle School.

And, even after that, Bean had his most significant grown on Earth, so I don't see how he'd have it harder than any of these people aside from the strain on his neck.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:08 pm

I dunno... my understanding was that in low-grav bones weaken, even in adults, so bean would have a weaker skeleton than others. the real question is whether that would stay after he got back to earth...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Wow. That's a huge jump on the last world's tallest man. Crazy.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:30 am

Yikes.

Has he considered basketball? He could just stand in the middle of the post and block all shots, no matter where they came from. He'd probably be good at it, too.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 pm

Wow. That's about four feet taller than I am.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:42 pm

ooookay... did you say that intentionally for comic effect, or unintentionally... because i thought that the sign on the door says "you must be THIS tall to enter pweb," and the line is about 5 ft up....

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:14 pm

According to the first English-Ukrainian dictionary I could find, Bean is: біб.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Return to “Milagre Town Square”