Star Wars Question for Alea

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Star Wars Question for Alea

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Or anyone else who might know, I guess.

Do the ORIGINAL original movies exist on DVD anywhere? You know, before Lucas started messing with them and took out the good songs from Return of the Jedi, made Greedo shoot first, copied over Boba Fett's voice, stuck Hayden Christiansen in at the end, etc.?

We had a Star Wars marathon tonight and too much time was spent lamenting the stupid, horrible changes Lucas made.

Bad George, bad!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm sure you can find them.... NO idea where though.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:10 pm

I have good news and bad news for you.

Good news: They do exist. Each film was released as a two disc set in 2006, with one disc containing the new 2004 edition and the second disc containing the unaltered original film.

Bad news: They were limited editions, so finding them now might be tough.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Thanks, Jason! :)

That gave me enough to locate them. You can still get them (new) from Chapters and Amazon (.com, .ca, and .co.uk). The .co.uk is best because not only would shipping be free, they're only 5 pounds each. I think I can divert a few pounds from my grocery budget (my freezer is full of leftovers) in the upcoming weeks to afford them.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:42 pm

:(

I felt all special for having my name in a thread and Jason just had to come in and answer first.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 pm

I was thinking about you all through the third movie. :) "Alea should be here! There's Wicket!"

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:22 am

Okay... I've just been enlightened by Ali on something that I feel VERY behind the times on. And suddenly I have a lot more sympathy towards people who gripe about the changes.

There was more than one re-done edition? And more importantly, was more than one called the Special Edition? Because I know without question that I own a VHS copy that was called the Special Edition from before 2004. How many of these things were done and when?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:19 am

the major changes that embody the special editions (ie greedo shoots first, Han steps on Jabba, big teddy bear wampa no longer scary wampa, luke screams like a girl when he now 'accidentally' falls at cloud city, no yubdub song, celebrating galaxy) were made in 1997 when the special editions were released to theatres for the 20th anniversary of Star Wars.

Lucas then further tinkered with the special editions for the initial DVD release, primariliy he fixed Han stepping on Jabba, re animated Jabba with the TPM Jabba and replaced Anakin Skywalker with Hayden Christenson in the ghostly trio (but he didn't replace Obi Wan with Ewan McGregor in same ghostly trio, odd that :rolleyes: ) And I think he redid some background cgi that was randomly added throughout the earlier special editions.

Now Lucas is prepping them again for their 3d conversion for another theatrical run. I'm suspicious he'll use audio engineering digital magic to make Han say "I love you too" instead of "I know" But I'm just a bit paranoid by now. Most everything in the special editions will probably be replaced with new cgi to replace the old cgi.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:33 pm

I think I can divert a few pounds from my grocery budget (my freezer is full of leftovers) in the upcoming weeks to afford them.
The choice between food and Star Wars is really no choice at all.
I felt all special for having my name in a thread and Jason just had to come in and answer first.
Sorry Alea, but I can never pass up an opportunity to put my Star Wars geekdom to use.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Dang, Ali, it's too bad you're not in Canada. I know cinemail.ca totally has them.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:38 pm

As far as I can tell, he's been tinkering with the movies incessantly since the mid 70s. Any claims of an "Official Version" before the dude croaks is just smoke and mirrors to keep the fans at bay.
The enemy's fly is down.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Ebay!
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Question... i know i am not a purist... but am i the only one that actually likes the "enhanced" versions?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:10 pm

No, you're not. I actually like the 2004 versions the best... except for Han not shooting first. I don't even mind Hayden at the end. And I'm sorry Ali, but the new celebration music at the end of RotJ is about 1000 times better than the original music.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:14 pm

I want to buy, not rent, JL. Unfortunately. Still, thanks! : )

Jason: thhhhbbbppptttt.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:02 am

no the yubdub song is a classic of my childhood, there's no way the celebration music is better. it makes me scowl.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:40 am

Yeah, Neodragon... i have to say that's the thing i disliked. After all, it really isn't that "morally arguable" for Han to shoot first. Greedo wasn't there to play a nice game of pazaak in case Han wouldn't pay right away. They tried to edulcorate the image of a hardened, cynical smuggler, and lessening the evolution of his personality.

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 am

Or, if you're a little bit tech-savvy, you could just find and download a torrent of them and burn them yourself. I, for one, am tired of rewarding Lucas for being a money-grubbing bastard and paying him for everything. So I snagged a couple for free, to make up for the three hours and $7.50 I'll never get back from the Phantom Menace

But I'm pretty sure you can find them, try www.btjunkie.com or www.cinemageddon.com for some obscure ones.

Edited to add: PS- I liked the first "Special Edition" enhanced ones, except for the Han/Greedo bit. Loved the new music for RotJ (although I still have a copy of the original, so I could watch the old if I needed it, I did love that song when I was a kid), in Jabba's place, of course, I'm not really all that enamored with the new OR the old celebration music, although the new is a little better to me. I wasn't that amped about the new scene with Han and Jabba in ANH, but they did okay with it. The tail stepping on was a little corny, but oh well.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:30 am

Han stepping on Jabba IS a bit corny, but it was necessary. The scene was filmed with the original Jabba, who looked a lot like Henry VIII, and not sluggy at all. At that point, Han walked behind the human Jabba. When they added the scene back in, they had to fit it in somehow.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Actually, Ali, that wasn't the original Jabba. Lucas just hired a stand in to read Jabba's lines and planned to replace him in post-production. But, budget and time restraints kept it out of the original film. Jabba was always meant to be sluglike, though he was initially supposed to be furry, too.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Hmm, well, my info comes from an interview the FX crew did regarding that scene. Because I distinctly remember them saying the reason for stepping on Jabba was he was originally human. Between the first and third movies, the character concept got changed. They even showed clips of the human Jabba, with an elaborate costume and guns at his belt. That memory is pretty clear, though for the life of me I'm not sure where I saw the interview. The only thing I can think of is that it got tacked on to the Special Edition videos.

Maybe someone else somewhere else gave a different story, but I am very certain that's what the guys who reanimated Jabba said.

Edit: Good Ole George "Inconsistent" Lucas:
The original script to A New Hope describes Jabba as a "fat, slug-like creature with eyes on extended feelers and a huge ugly mouth," but Lucas stated in an interview that the initial character he had in mind was much furrier and resembled a Wookiee.
Right, so I got the humanoid story and you got the slug story. You got part of the humanoid story, too, since you mentioned he was supposed to be a furry sort of slug. Neither of us is entirely right, neither of us is entirely wrong.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:40 pm

I remember seeing pictures of the human Jabba in the Star Wars Insider many moons ago. there was also an interview with the people involved. They also showed pictures of the tatooine scenes with Biggs (there was a pool table). I wish Lucas would release the deleted scenes on the dvds. :(

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 am

Here's the million dollar question, though. When Lucasarts does, as they inevitably will do, release the movies again on Blu-Ray, how will they go about it?

Only the 2004 Version, never the originals?
Originals only, no 2004 remakes after the somewhat mixed reactions they received?
Originals and Remakes on the same discs, or as separate discs in the same format?
Originals and remakes as separate box sets?

I personally think the last is most likely seeing as how it's the model they went for in releasing the widescreen and fullscreen remakes as separate boxes, and it'd lead to the most revenue since most likely just the number of people who'd buy both would make up the cost of having separate packaging.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:52 am

Lucas said that, as far as he was concerned, the remasterizations were the versions he had always wanted to create, the way he wanted to create them. Somehow it was as if he was disowning the original versions... so i don't think the original versions will be re-released again by lucasarts.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:17 pm

for the hidef release which probably won't be for at least five years, then one to two years in between each of the following.

remakes as a box set

remakes as individual special feature editions and/or box set

remakes and originals box set.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:29 pm

I was thinking about you all through the third movie. :) "Alea should be here! There's Wicket!"
Not to be a lifetime late...but I wish I were there! No one around here will watch any of the movies with me. I put one on the other day and my family cleared the room in a nanosecond.

And I remember reading/seeing that Jabba was supposed to be slug-like and they had a human stand in during filming (I think that's what Michael said), hence Harrison Ford not stepping on Jabba initially...there was nothing to step on and he simply didn't think about there being a tail-end on him when he said his lines to the person holding the spot.

Yeah. I have nothing to really add to this thread, I keep coming in late. *sad sigh* When life gets in the way. :(
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:24 am

iirc Jabba is not described as sluglike in the novelization. I think Lucas originally intended him to be a gangster. if they wanted him to be a creature he would have had a costuming or puppetry like in the cantina. Lucas is very good at retroactively revising what was 'always meant' to be like. for instance Han returning in Empire Strikes Back (was never intended to return for the sequels) and Luke and Leia being brother and sister (early drafts make it clear that Luke and Leia were love interests, which is how they play it in Star Wars (also Splinter of the Mind's Eye) despite the zero chemistry going on between them. Those things grew as the sequels developed and were made, but according to Lucas those characters and relationships were all infallibly planned out as they eventually wound up in the final films and nothing changed or developed over time. :rolleyes:

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am

Just to further beat the horse:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jabba#A_New_Hope

And because I can't believe there is a Star Wars thread that doesn't link to wookiepedia.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

John Locke
Launchie
Launchie

Maybe when blu-ray...

Postby John Locke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:06 pm

They can add on features that allow you to choose "1970s original" and "1997 remake" and "Director's Cut". That way we all win.
Anyone want to be my Demosthenes?
"And what in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y Fronts was that about?"
I just want an "enemy" to create an ongoing political debate that will give both of us respect and a following for peace.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”