Happy Single Awareness Day!!!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 am

... and now, if you'll excuse me, i will go to the flat i just rented in front of a chocolate shop.

Pic Related

This is a joke, ok? :P for goodness sake!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:02 am

It's like the religion thing. If you hadn't told me, I would've never known the difference.

Bastard.
The enemy's fly is down.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Re: Happy Single Awareness Day!!!

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:17 am

This is a joke, ok? :P for goodness sake!
This may be a joke for you, but not for all of us...j/k
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:32 am

Happy Single Awareness Day, everyone.

Or, as I prefer, un-Happy Valentine's Day.
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Even in a relationship, I'm not a big fan of valentine's day. Just a way of selling chocolate and over-inflating the cost of roses.

My co-worker was completely scandalized when I told her I didn't really have plans with my hubby. :roll:
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:27 pm

I got sent an e-Valentine from a professor.

I mean, he sent one to everyone in the class, but still. Strange.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Haha, enjoy singledom losers. I on the other hand get to have sex multiple times today, woowoo.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:14 pm

Jebus, it doesn't count when it's with your family.

Just so you know...

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Speaking from experience, my incest-loving friend?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Haha, enjoy singledom losers. I on the other hand get to have sex multiple times today, woowoo.
Big deal... so you're using your other hand now. It's still nothing to brag about.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Aah, neo-dragon, you think masturbation = sex, no wonder you think you're such a hot shot. :wink:

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 pm

This is the first Valentine's Day I've ever been attached. It's -- nice.

But not spectacular. I don't really care and I feel pressured to.

Oh well, though, it's still so nice.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm generally not fussed one way or the other about St. Valentine's Day. Either I get to do something enjoyable on it, or it tends to be like any other day.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:13 pm

It seems every year I've tried to give someone something for Valentines Day the reception has been less than enthusiastic. Year before last I gave someone who I actually liked a card and I got laughed at. Last year I gave someone a picture and a poem thingie I got a quick and effortless thanks and a change of subject. This year what did I give? Nothing! Boy, sure was nice to not spend time thinking about something only to get crapped on this year!

Come to think of it.. every time I've tried to do something nice I usually end up hurt. I f****** hate people so I could never not be alone. :P

Happy Thursday, Feb 14th, 2008.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 pm

More like, "Happy Feel Sorry for Sheep Day."
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:27 am

Even in a relationship, I'm not a big fan of valentine's day. Just a way of selling chocolate and over-inflating the cost of roses.

My co-worker was completely scandalized when I told her I didn't really have plans with my hubby. :roll:
You talk as if chocolate makers and rose sellers didn't have a right to make a living! :P Think of their children! Join the commercial celebration!

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:50 am

More like, "Happy Feel Sorry for Sheep Day."
Thank you. I thought nobody was going to make the Jebus has sex with sheep joke. I'm glad somebody did.

ZOO SEX?!?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:05 am

Haha yea, it's good that the sheep joke never gets old or your guys might have to extend yourselves to being original, eh? Maybe even come up with something as out there as a cow sex joke.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:48 pm

a cow sex joke.
Whoa there buddy! You're getting a little too close to home!

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:15 pm

Valentines day is for wimps.

I don't celebrate it.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Sorry, Paul. It's a reflex, at this point.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:20 pm

I never understood why people feel so strong about this holiday, be it in support or in protest. If you don't want to celebrate it: alright, you don't have to. If you want to celebrate: go ahead. Who cares what everybody else does? Does it really matter? Do you feel better about yourself protesting it, or openly supporting it?

Anyway, what did I do for Valentine's Day? Not a lot. We had a nice dinner at a little diner that we both like and that holds a lot of personal memories. It wasn't a "special" dinner; we didn't choose it because it was Valentine's Day. It's just one of those places that we like to go. Then we went to Chuck E Cheese. We played our games, had a good time. Again, we do this every couple of months. It isn't something that's reserved for special occassions. We just both had the night free and were in the mood for a reliving of childhood games. We had a good time and won something like 3500 tickets (on twenty bucks worth of tokens -- we had coupons). We got our prizes, took our picture at the photo booth, and went home. We played Skipbo, Uno, and eventually watched Sunshine. None of this was what you can traditionally call "romantic." It wasn't something that only happens once a year. We read to each other before bed. (Note: The Time Traveler's Wife is excellent.) I woke up, did my morning rituals, and went to class. She did the same.

As far as presents go, neither of us really went all out. I wrote and recorded a song for her; she bought me Lord Byron's Don Juan from the used book store. I would have written the song, even if it weren't Valentine's Day. She would have bought Don Juan, even if it weren't Valentine's Day. We didn't really "celebrate" the day, but it was still nice to get to spend time with each other and give each other something small.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm

I think people who don't celebrate it (because of singleness or distance or other involuntary reasons) get bitter about it because it's not easy to just ignore. Restaurants here in town have been painting their windows to promote special dinners; bookstores set up huge displays of "romantic" books; stationery shops are full of ugly little red stuffed animals; clothiers put pink clothes on their manikins. It's everywhere, bombarding you with pink and red hearts, urging you to buy! buy! buy! One way or the other, you become very aware of your status as a single.

When I'm in a relationship, I don't feel a huge need to do much aside from set the research aside for a night and not let myself get distracted. But this year was particularly lonely for me, since I don't even have any close friends or family to be with. My house had a Lonely People party with a ton of food and laughing and wine, which was a good way to keep from feeling all alone, but I still missed spending the evening with someone special.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Ali, I guess I just hadn't thought of that. I mean, for most of the years I've been alive, I haven't had someone to spend Valentine's Day with. But, I've never really felt bitter about it, nor have I felt the strong desire to do something special. I fully expected to be working this year and didn't bother to request the night off. Getting the night off was a nice surprise, but it wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't. Either way, I guess I just assumed that most people would simply get used to the commercialization. Working in retail for the past several years (hey, I've got to pay the bills, including tuition), I've just become accustomed to it, I guess. We start putting Christmas stuff out in October. Our summer section was set up in January (grills, swimming gear, sports equipment, whathaveyou). Our Fourth of July stuff is already coming in on the trucks. Every holiday is like that. We put stuff out ridiculously early. So, maybe I've just gotten used to it. But, I guess I just never thought that it wasn't easy to ignore.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I find it easier not to take things too seriously.

But here's a late Valentine's card, courtesy me!

Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:10 pm

My annoyance with the holiday is based on the fact that the kids at my junior high lose their brains for 24 hours and become walking sacks of hormones who carry large balloons and teddy bears while being hyped up on sugar. Basically, it means distractions (=problems).

On the other hand, I got to spend a little bit of time with the person/people I wanted to spend time with, so it was a-okay.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:28 am

I think people who don't celebrate it (because of singleness or distance or other involuntary reasons) get bitter about it because it's not easy to just ignore. Restaurants here in town have been painting their windows to promote special dinners; bookstores set up huge displays of "romantic" books; stationery shops are full of ugly little red stuffed animals; clothiers put pink clothes on their manikins. It's everywhere, bombarding you with pink and red hearts, urging you to buy! buy! buy! One way or the other, you become very aware of your status as a single.
Meh! I didn't realize that it was that day until well into it when someone offered me some valentine's candy or something. But I also didn't really go anywhere, except to a single class. Thankfully, university campuses aren't as annoyingly decorated as the lower levels of education.

Mich: I do believe that's the best Valentine's Day card I've ever seen.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:32 am

My annoyance with the holiday is based on the fact that the kids at my junior high lose their brains for 24 hours and become walking sacks of hormones who carry large balloons and teddy bears while being hyped up on sugar. Basically, it means distractions (=problems).

On the other hand, I got to spend a little bit of time with the person/people I wanted to spend time with, so it was a-okay.
Oh man... well, i think they should made a rule so in days when kids are particularly prone to let their little heads wander, you would be allowed to use pedagogic tools* with them.

*Basically canes and whips. Guns aren't recognized yet as as such, but i am strongly campaigning to have the guns with blank bullets acquire that status. We need ranged pedagogic tools!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”