An odd reference...

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

An odd reference...

Postby Boothby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:00 pm

I just found an odd little reference to our favorite book here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EndersGame

It's a classification of all the tried and true TV and film "tropes" (memes that haven't yet become--or so they say--cliches)

There is an unfortunate, and inappropriate, swipe at Mormonism, and Card's Mormonism, but there is is.

--Steve

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Eh. That's the most pointless thing I've ever been linked to. Sorry, but I didn't need ANY of that.

About the Mormon swipe: what do you expect people to think of a small group that (at least stereotypically) believes in polygamy and that Jesus took a hard left while ascending to heaven and landed in the new world?

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Well, I thought it was an interesting site, overall, since it presents all these "tropes" as a sort of list. It's as if you could take four tropes from column "A", and three tropes from column "B," mix them together, add some characters, and Wham! A brand-new sit-com!

And you know MY particular religious beliefs (or, as some might say, lack thereof). I still wouldn't take a pot-shot at someone like that! It's blind-siding them. It's a nasty little dig. I felt that, out of courtesy, and so as not to seem as if I endorsed that approach (which I don't), I'd give fair warning.

And blaming it on supposed stereotypical beliefs? Puh-Lease! If the author of that page made some off-handed racial comment based on "stereotypical beliefs" I would have included a similar warning--if I had linked to it at all.
Last edited by Boothby on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:10 am

I don't disagree... I'm just getting in their head, which is a good way to learn. And I like your idea about harvesting tropes ;)

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:15 am

"Getting in someone's head" isn't necessarily a good way to learn. It's a good way to get spanked. Whether you learn or not is up to you.

Or is that "getting in someone's face"...?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am

Lol. My point is just that the only way to learn about others is to figure out where they're coming from.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:35 am

Obviously nobody who has ever seen that page before has read EG. I checked out a little descrition of the MD device and they had it listed as a Moleclular Detachment device. So I did them a favour and edited it for them.

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:50 am

Dude, at least they figured out it wasn't a real doctor.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:49 am

Thats true. But seriously, at least read the book before reviewing it. That's what I was getting at

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:15 am

Obviously nobody who has ever seen that page before has read EG. I checked out a little descrition of the MD device and they had it listed as a Moleclular Detachment device. So I did them a favour and edited it for them.
Assuming that's your typo and not theirs.... "Molecular Detachment device" is one of the names given to the little doctor:
"Why haven't I ever been trained with this?"
"You always have. We just let the computer tend to it for you. Your job is to get into a superior strategic position and choose a target. The shipboard computers are much better at aiming the Doctor than you are."
"Why is it called Dr. Device?"
"When it was developed, it was called a Molecular Detachment Device. M.D. Device."
Ender still didn't understand.
"M.D. The initials stand for Medical Doctor, too. M.D. Device, therefore Dr. Device. It was a joke."
Ender didn't see what was funny about it.
Although, I do believe Disruption is much more commonly the D in M.D. device.

Edit: Now it's listing it as "DM Engine" from Xenocide? Wtf?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 am

Edit: Now it's listing it as "DM Engine" from Xenocide? Wtf?
Where did that come from!? I have serious doubts that that's in there... but I'm too lazy / engrossed in Tom Robbins to read through Xenocide again.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”