awkward...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

awkward...

Postby Young Val » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:16 pm

so, i'm sure we all have multiple awkward moments in our lives (at least, i personally have about a million per day) so i thought i might as well have a place to keep track.

:oops:

5 minutes ago

today was a bad day, and i'm all upset about henry and whatnot, so i figure, tonight, my roommates are both out, i'll take a nice long bath. so i set up the candles, turn out the lights, and relax (by which i mean sit in the bathtub and cry). at some point during this ritual, my (male) roomate Elad came home without my noticing, and decided to take a quick shower. i, of COURSE, had forgotten to lock the bathroom door. i was so shocked when he walked in it took me three or four seconds to shriek--JUST enough time for him to come in and drop his towel.

the WORST part is, i have accidentally (and often quite comically) flashed no less than SIX of my neighbors (respectively) on totally different occassions. the guys in the building next door must LOVE me.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:42 pm

now why can't i have you as a neighbor!
Ubernaustrum

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm having this incredibly awkward experience with this physics grad student at Rice.

On Thursday I bought my lunch in the student center because I haven't gone to the grocery store this week. So, he struck up a conversation with me and I made polite responses (about my major and my classes, etc). Then, at the end he asked "So, are you eating alone?" The problem with this is that the answer was "Yes." But, I didn't want to tell him that. So, instead I said "Yeah, I'm reading my statistics textbook over lunch today."

Then! Today, I saw him while walking across campus and he caught up with me and asked what I was up to. Luckily I had the good response of "meeting a large group of friends for lunch" (because a contingent of MOB members eat lunch together every Friday.)
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:57 pm

at marianna's house tonight, drinking wine and eating pizza and laughing and being happy and swapping stories. she tells me how she was so lazy that she spent all of last weekend on the couch watching M*A*S*H reruns. i burst into tears.

she is, understandably, bewildered. she asks what's wrong.

"henry loves M*A*S*H," i sob.

yeeeeeeah. awkward.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:31 am

i spent 3-4 minutes on the phone this morning, venting at top-speed, before i realized i had called my mother instead of my best friend. one of the many subjects i was ranting about, in addition to finances, relationship problems, and work problems happened to be, you guessed it, being annoyed at my mom.

awkward.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Ohh, ouch.

I once did that. Exactly the same thing. Except, well, it was with a friend's mother.

Aaaawkward...

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:15 pm

The morning after a liason, when you know that all of his roommates are in the living room but you have to walk out there past them and they give you the, "Uh huh," look.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:34 pm

Our landlord lives above us and has loud sex. It would be so much easier if we didn't know who it was that we were hearing. Every time I see her, I feel slightly awkward.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Ra Ra Ra Sis Boom Ba

Postby Bevis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:13 am

Our landlord lives above us and has loud sex. It would be so much easier if we didn't know who it was that we were hearing. Every time I see her, I feel slightly awkward.

I think I'd be compelled to cheer my neighbors if I heard them. Yes, even if they could evict me. Of course, maybe she's trying for a reaction. Then cheering would be playing into her hand. I know, you could Boo the performance. :lol:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 am

Just ask her if she had fun last night if you see her in the morning afterwards. Let her share in your awkwardness.
The enemy's fly is down.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:26 am

... I'm the loud roomate in my apartment...I'm also the only roomate in my apartment "doing the dead"...... I feel bad for my neighbors....and roomates

:?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:25 am

I'm also the only roomate in my apartment "doing the dead"
I've always wondered, where do you people find the bodies?

EDIT: And even more confusingly, how would a girl even "do the dead", as you put it?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:17 am

One word for you Jebus: Rigor Mortis
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:33 am

That's two words.

Huh, how long does rigor mortis last? Enough to make us living feel inadequate?

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

congratulations

Postby Bevis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:55 pm

This thread is making me feel awkward.

Last night at work my foreman had moved a few of us around. The guy she on my usual machines asked if I wanted to trade. I said sure. The machines he ended up with had messy problems for the first 6 hours. I helped him out where I could. It would've been worse if he hadn't had such a good humor about it.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:49 am

What kind of machines do you work with, Bevis? It kind of sounds like a few jobs I've had before, where machines break down after foremen move people.

Oh, ya this is an awkwardness thread and Ive got an awkwardness story. So my fiancee and I were chatting with this girl who works at the grocery down the street and whose dad knows my family and I mentioned her dads friendship with my uncle, and shes like "Ya, their not friends anymore, your uncle kinda ****ed him over." and i just kinda stepped back, and was like, ummm, I see. So ya, I kinda feel awkward going in there when I do, but I still do all the same.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:07 pm

I felt pretty awkward when I didn't notice that there was a typo in "doing the dead" and asked Jebus if he had any idea what the hell the expression meant....

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:42 pm

haha, i just noticed that typo. Noooooowwww I get it.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:04 pm

In the MOB this year, we have a love polyhedron (well, techinically square, but polyhedron is much more interesting) in the clarinet section amongst the freshman clarinets.

J, M = girls. D,A = boys.
J flirts with both boys. A likes J. D also sort of likes J. M really likes A. As of Friday, J and A are dating. However, on the bus ride to New Orleans, J and M sat next to each other (probably because J had promised to before she and A were a thing.) M was a huge bitch all weekend.
On the bus ride back to Houston, after the first movie finished, J moved back 2 rows to sit with A for 5 minutes (since he'd been doing chemistry homework for quite a while.) M pitched a fit about how you shouldn't "abandon" your seat... then threw J's pillow on the floor in the aisle. M went on and on about this for quite some time.
D and I proceeded to sit there and make the awkward turtle.
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 pm

I felt pretty awkward when I didn't notice that there was a typo in "doing the dead" and asked Jebus if he had any idea what the hell the expression meant....
and here i just assumed that she had a REALLY passive partner. :wink:
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Soara
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Soara » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:24 pm

So I walked up to the guy I have a crush on, and started telling him that since he'd missed the meeting this morning, he had to talk to me later about such and such a thing etc, and after about a minute I realized how obvious it was that I had a crush on him. Just from the way I was talking. Awkward. :roll:

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Again with the post-liason roommate awkwardness. This is going to have to stop.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Petra, fvck them. You had a good time, don't let them cause you to feel awkward, make them feel awkward instead. More confidence and attitude, throw it right back in their face. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 am

I'm one step ahead of you. :wink:

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:00 pm

So, I was supposed to go sit outside a display that was going on last week and try to recruit participants in our study. It was supposedly on the third floor of the Union. The first time I went, I noted with surprise that it only appeared to be on the second floor because there were more steps that went up, but I didn't take them. Well, a day later I went again only I went in a different entrance. I went up the stairs and found myself at the end of the stairs. I thought to myself, "Hm. I must have absentmindedly skipped my landing" (which is, sadly, the sort of thing I am wont to do.) So I started back down the stairs, only to notice when I was halfway down that I was heading for the main landing. So, I realize that I was on the right floor after all, just that there are less stairs on this side. As I am standing there, disoriented and confused, halfway down the stairs, the professor whose class this is for starts coming up the stairs. She says she's coming to check on the data collection. I tell her about that morning's disappointing take and start going back up with her. She looks at me a bid oddly and says that I don't need to go back up with her, and I was like, "No, you don't understand, it's my shift... I was just, um. Really bad sense of direction."

Awkward.

I ask her if we can please never talk about this again, and she said that would probably be best.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:27 pm

Last night's football game was no-pants drumline. For some of us girls (3/5) that means cute skirts (pictured below). On our way to the field for halftime, wearing our MOB coats (which were approximately as long as our skirts) this camera guy for the football game put down his big football camera and pulled out this smaller camera hanging from his shoulder and took like six pictures of me walking toward him.

So awkward.

-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:06 pm

when your ex-boyfriend, whom you are still in love with and who is still in love with you, has walked you to your door at the end of the evening and hugs you goodbye and goes in for The Kiss and panics at the last moment and shifts to corner-of-mouth at the last possible second and then turns and bolts down your front steps and up the street instantly, leaving you there to stare at his disappearing form while the tears well up in your eyes at the injustice of life and your own stupidity:

AWKWARD.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:04 pm

*bump*

when, in the excitment of getting your dream job, you rush to alter the schedules of your other two already existing jobs so that you can still make enough money to live, when you get a phone call asking why you haven't shown up to work, and you realize that you totally forgot to put in your notice for your FOURTH job, and you need to try to explain this all over the phone while at one of your OTHER jobs. not to mention you've had a couple of weeks to sort this all out, and you just had too much to juggle and dropped the ball.

yeah. forgetting to quit your job. awkward.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Tome
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Tome » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:53 pm

How about this:

During Spanish class, a friend pulls his leg up and rests it on the top of the desk, acting all cool for being flexible. Being relatively flexible (for a guy) myself, I do the same, but pull my leg across my body, just to show I can...

I then turn around realize just about the entire class is looking at me, and someone is going "I've never seen a guy that flexible."

Even worse, though, was when I stopped and, everyone still staring, I was asked to do it again.

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:57 pm

I would say having sex with my friend's sister and having my friend and his mom walk in on us.

.....yeah.

Then it was also awkward when all four of us just kind of stared at eachother for a few minutes and I never got off of her.

Awkward.

When I spent the night at my ex's house and woke up to go to the bathroom naked and there were 11 people in the living room. Uhhh hi? Wasn't totally the fact that I was naked.... but that everyone just looked at me and didn't say a word.

Awkward.

Getting a full physical from a female doctor and female nurse while having a raging hard-on. Yeah...

Awkward.

Of course there's always the classic; when someone says something like: "thanks for stopping by" when you expect them to say "take care" and you say, "you too".

Awkward.
Fight the machine!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:58 am

When you're watching a movie involving sex acts of minors (and other things, alcohol/drugs/etc) in the lounge of a dorm, and people walk in wondering what the hell you're watching during some of the more... graphic scenes.

Actually, that was kinda funny. The more awkward part was when we saw one person had an under-ten child accompanying them for some reason. Oops.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Return to “Milagre Town Square”