Your first time...

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:11 pm

I had never even heard of OSC until my sophomore year of high school. :shock:
Hey, I still meet people in college who haven't heard of him or any of his books. I usually am surprised, though.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:15 pm

I'd seen an advert for Ender's Shadow while I was still in high school, but I forgot about it entirely until my first year of university, when I found Ender's Game on a discount table.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Oh wow. I just counted. I read Ender's Game 21 years ago.

A few years ago I took my mom and daughter to an OSC signing. He took a picture of us, and we took one too. Three generations of fans.

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:17 pm

holy jeebuz i diddnt know enders game was out for that long...
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:57 am

First published in '85. Assuming Amka is referring to the novel and not the short story.

dgf hhw

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:15 pm

It was the novel I read. Though I have now acquired a copy of the Analog where the short story was first published.

It was actually Seventh Son that introduced me to OSC, and Red Prophet wasn't out yet, but we found Ender's Game from the same cool author we'd just discovered (I'm speaking about the family of readers I grew up in).

Okay, edit. I must have been off by one year. I was counting by which house I lived in. I'll have to ask my dad which came first, Seventh Son or Ender's Game. I know one of them was the "Well, we can't read the next in the series, but he's written THIS too! Cool!"

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:02 am

I was certainly introduced to EG first. I was looking in the basement cellar where my older brother had a "library" of sorts. Among them I found some interesting titles, including EG. There were no sequels yet, so I too found others titles in other series, like Seventh Son. In fact, OSC was on a local (Salt Lake City) radio interview and I called in to ask when the next book would be written (although by this time Speaker for the Dead was out). It was excruciating to wait for each one, in EITHER series!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Han Fei-Tzu
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Han Fei-Tzu » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:22 pm

please can anyone recall the page or chapter where Bean actually agrees to have Petra's babies in Shadow Puppets?? Or any other time where Bean hurts Petra in any way by his decisions in SP or SOTG? its for a research paper due wednesday

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:54 am

no, sorry

just wondering what is the age range on this forum
- im 14
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 am

Then you're pretty young. Most of the people here have passed high-school already, and are in college; I am another exception, though.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 am

I think many/most of us STARTED here when we were in HS. I would have, but there was no such thing as the "internet" at the time. (That should give you some idea of how old I am, too.) :(

Edit: Also, many of us have been through several versions of this forum. I happen to be one of the oldest, from PWeb version 1.0, but now I'm nowhere near as active as I once was.

I hope the "young blood" is as excited about EG as I used to be. Enjoy the site and WELCOME. I only wish they would get the rest of the site up and working again... but there are other resources now that never existed back-in-the-day. Like Wikipedia, for example.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:58 am

I think many/most of us STARTED here when we were in HS. I would have, but there was no such thing as the "internet" at the time. (That should give you some idea of how old I am, too.) :(
Yeah, but I also recall that there's quite a few pwebbers that were born around the same few years. I think we're mostly early 20s now? Maybe it's time for yet another poll on this.

dgf hhw

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:08 pm

My sister gave me Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide as a birthday present. They sat on my bookcase for a couple of years and then I took them with me on a train trip and read them while traveling. I bought Children of the Mind on the trip, after I had finished the others. I don't remember what year it was, but Ender's Shadow was not out yet.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 pm

I first read it in June 2007. I finished it in a few days, and even walked to the library in the drizzle to read the last bit of it (I had lent the copy I had to my bro). First time I've ever cried in a library....

Anywho, I need my own copy.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

schwe190
Launchie
Launchie

Postby schwe190 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:11 pm

I just finished reading Ender’s Game for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had never heard of the series or Orson Scott Card before I had to read EG for a class and I am a junior in college! It was definitely an interesting story and I cannot wait to read the rest of the books in the Ender saga.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Welcome to pweb, schwe! Hope you like it here.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

PhanaticEnder.Reader
Launchie
Launchie

Postby PhanaticEnder.Reader » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:49 pm

i dont actually remember how i was introduced to EG. i think my mum just brought it home for me one day (BTW im 14, so its not sad i live at home XD). Since then i have recommended it to my dad and now he's a fan too :D

CandyMoon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CandyMoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:43 pm

I was introduced to Ender's Game by my father when I was very young. He would always tell me about books he would let me read when I was older, and the main one was Ender's Game. He would tell me the plot to it like my mother told me fairy tales. Always talking about the genius kids who went up in battle school to save Earth.
One day in sixth grade, he let me read it. I went to school and started it that morning, pretty much igrnoring my friends.
I fell in love with it and finished it in a few days.
I have now read it five times and its currently being lent out to one of my closest friends. Shes in love with it to.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”