Do You Vote?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Do you vote?

Yes, always. It's very important.
55%
Yes, if there's an important issue at stake.
21%
Yes, if I feel like my vote will make a difference.
3%
If I feel like it.
12%
No, not usually. It's not important to me.
9%
No, politicians are all crooks anyway.
No votes

Total votes: 33

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Do You Vote?

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Ontario had an election today (provincial government and electoral reform referendum), and as I was headng out to vote my younger brother said he's not going to bother when he's old enough.

So out of curiosity, do you vote? If you're too young, just pretend.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:47 pm

To answer my own question, I always vote whenever I can. It's important to me to voice my opinion, even if my candidate doesn't win. It's a hard-fought thing, the right to vote, and I'm proud to take advantage of the opportunity. I also know that sometimes an election comes down to a single seat or a handful of votes. And all else failing, I know my vote helps determine the funding for the next election, and it makes a difference that way.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:55 pm

I voted today, but I'm actually having a harder time deciding how to vote in this poll. I sorta fit into both the "If there's an important issue at stake" and "If I feel like it" categories.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Out of curiosity, what's your take on this electoral referendum?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Well, I'm really not into politics so I can hardly offer much in the way of an argument, but the mixed member thing makes sense to me. I know there are times when people fully support someone in their riding, but don't want their party running the whole show. This seems like a good way to help people truly vote for what they want on both a local and larger level.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:51 pm

I try to, but I find that it's hard to keep up with. It's easier on the national level as it gets more air/attention. It's odd, the things that have a direct effect on me daily are generally on the local level and those are the things that generally get ignored.

Salaam

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Generally no, because I believe the decision in question is best made by people other than myself.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:00 pm

lol, I'd rather have you zero than who's in office now...

Salaam

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 am

I voted no, but none of the no options really fit my reason. I stay politically neutral because of my religious beliefs. I don't believe that any of man's governments can bring about the changes needed and so stay completely neutral in all political issues.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:59 pm

I always try and vote. I try to inform myself on the issues.

Last month, there was a Primary election for the city council where I live. I went to all the candidate's websites. I'm also disappointed that local politics don't get as much coverage. All they say on their websites is the same thing, you know, "believe in strong family values," and vague things: "I will do what needs to be done." But I will never vote for someone who doesn't have a website. It's like:

Canidate: I'm running!
Me: So, what do you stand for?
Canidate: Stand? No, I'm running!

Anyway, I do my best to vote for people who will lead our government close to what I like. It baffles me when people don't take part in government, when they are giving you an opportunity to voice an opinion on how you want to be governed. A nearby city has three open seats on their city council, but only two running. A write-in candidate with one vote could win.

This election will be interesting. Sure, we have the vote for city council, but on the county level, we will be voting on whither we want a quarter percent sales tax increase to fund more transportation projects. (Opinion Question #1)

And on the State level, we will be voting on whither we want HB 148 to take effect, which if enacted will establish a scholarship program ($500-$3000) for qualifying school-age kids to attend private schools. (Referendum #1)

Both of these very well could be discussed in their own topics, even though they are local issues. But in reference to elections, are these the types of things you want other people to decide for you? My sisters are all voting age, but none has registered. (their fore-mothers must be rolling in their graves. :) )

But, anyway, I thought it was funny, when the newspaper said some people have two signs in their lawns that say "No on #1!" and "Yes on #1!" but the #1's refer to different things...
A signature so short, it's
Slim

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Ontario's super awesome 50% voter turnout speaks for itself. Not many people do anymore....

I voted, for the major party that will never get office. I know my one vote isn't helping them get there, but at least I'm a voter.

I'm disappointed that we have 4 more years of Dalton, but I'm glad there won't be any publically funded jewish, islam, or sikh schools coming up any time soon.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:48 pm

I'm just amazed that they managed to make an issue of that but managed to NOT put forth the idea of dropping the Catholic school system. Bloody Upper Canada constitution.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:04 pm

I voted Green. No hope in hell of them forming a government so far, but the fact that they got ~10% of the popular vote is encouraging. Hopefully someone in office will take note that environmental issues is a fast-growing concern among voters.

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:04 pm

I used to vote

I had my favorite team, and favorite players. I would watch the news just to see the same foul play again and again. Unfortunately it's overrun with politics!
...but paranoia is all I have!!

seamusz
Launchie
Launchie

Postby seamusz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:02 pm

I think it is important to get informed and to vote. I am quite frustrated by the current political climate of the US, but as long as I have the right to vote, I plan on voting.
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me....

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:26 pm

I can't believe no one's mentioned the irony of having a poll for this thread. If you don't vote, why would you vote in the poll?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Because I don't have to leave my office to do it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:45 pm

I can't believe no one's mentioned the irony of having a poll for this thread. If you don't vote, why would you vote in the poll?
I didn't vote in this, because I didn't feel an option applied to me. However, I would have voted if I had seen one I felt applied to me, because voting in an election/referendum/etc is voting on something actually to be decided. This is just an informational poll with little to no consequence, and as such I have no problem with it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:51 pm

I'LL BE OLD ENOUGH TO VOTE!!!!

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 am

Perhaps taking that as a given might be testing fate.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't vote. The actual voting part it cool, but I don't take enough time to educate myself on the issues or candidates. I am almost completely ignorant of world happenings. It's sad.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:01 pm

I finally got my voter registration card last week. I registered the week after my eighteenth birthday, but I never got my card. The November 2008 election will be my first, and I'm super excited.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:03 pm

I vote whenever I am up to date on the issues, which is usually always. :)

I am typically one party; but recently a candidate I really like is running for US President in the other party and the state I live in has a close primary (can only vote for you are people in your party registered), so I have to switch.

Yeah, I actually switched parties how many "old timers" are surprised. :P

endercoaster
Soldier
Soldier

Postby endercoaster » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:18 pm

*grumble* Ok, so I "live" in Illinois, but I go to school in Iowa, and that's where I'm registered to vote. I'm as confused as anybody else as to why we get to vote there when it's not our official state of residence, but oh well. My school is being super cool and letting people onto campus during winter break so they could vote in the caucuses and at least offering cots in the gym. There's just one problem... I don't have a car, and my parents decided that they're not going to drive me down so I can vote. So as much as I'd like to vote, my parents are apparently coming up with an excuse to prevent me from doing that. *grumble*
Denny

"Children are a perpetual, self-renewing underclass, helpless to escape from the decisions of the adults until they become adults themselves."

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:06 am

Yeah - you missed off a "not old enough yet" option

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Do You Vote?

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:16 am

So out of curiosity, do you vote? If you're too young, just pretend.
That's why I said that.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:08 am

Denny, why didn't you register in your home district?

endercoaster
Soldier
Soldier

Postby endercoaster » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:51 am

Partly, it was just that I didn't end up registering till I got to school. Also, my home district is overwhelmingly Republican, so I feel like my vote there would have less impact.
Denny

"Children are a perpetual, self-renewing underclass, helpless to escape from the decisions of the adults until they become adults themselves."

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:01 pm

I try to inform myself and vote in every election.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:57 pm

I just voted. It was one issue, no candidates. And my side lost. I guess it was a pretty close call though.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:15 pm

School vouchers? At least that was the "big" issue I saw last time I visited SLC.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:52 pm

You were here? Yeah. School vouchers lost.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:51 pm

I voted yes on the school vouchers. It wasn't for any of the reasons they were advertising, though. I voted for them mostly because when I pay my taxes for education, I believe I am paying for a students education, not a gift certificate that can only be used at one place.

Amka, you only had State Referendum 1 to vote on? Weird. I had to vote on sales tax and 3 city council seats.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Return to “Milagre Town Square”