Your Favourite TV That No One's Ever Seen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Your Favourite TV That No One's Ever Seen

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:54 pm

So, what TV do you (or have you) watched that no one else seems to?

"Roar" - 5th century Ireland fighting off Roman invaders, and a cursed man seeking the Spear of Destiny (1997). My sister and I watched this show all one summer, until Fox cancelled it (sound familiar?).

"Beauty and the Beast" - New York lawyer is attacked by thugs and rescued by the leonine man Vincent. Romance and assorted New York style violence ensues. I watched this show in '97 or '98 when it was on the sci-fi channel in reruns. It's a little cheesier now than I remember it, but then, taste and style evolve.

"Sliders" - Not too obscure, but no one other than my sister and I ever seemed to watch it. Parallel universes and all that jazz.

"Due South" - Mountie from the far north gets sent to Chicago and partnered with a slick city detective. I still love this show, for its music, its fun, and its absurdity.

"F/X: the Series" - Canadian show, starring an Aussie, set in New York. A special effects movie man always seems to get wrapped up in his cop-buddy's investigations, using the movie effects of the week to help solve things. Incredibly dated technology, compared to today (a PDA was a strange and obscure new gadget). Lots of fun.

How about you? Have a hard time finding a fellow-audience for that favourite show? Why not share?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:15 pm

I watched "Sliders". It was good until Fox dropped it and then Sci-fi picked it up, and suddenly every episode was about the evil Cromags who took over Earth-Prime. It went from interesting what-if scenarios on parallel worlds to cheesy battling alien invaders.

I was also aware of "Roar" although I never really watched it. I think my brother did though. It airs on SPACE now.

Anyway, as for my pick, the first that comes to mind is "Odyssey 5". It was a Showtime original sci-fi series that was really good. It was about 5 astronauts (one is a scientist, one is a reporter, and two are father and son) who witness the Earth explode while they are in space. They are saved from death by a mysterious alien force that sends their current consciousness back into their bodies from 5 years ago. Thus they have to relive the last 5 years of their lives with full knowledge of the fact that the world will end in 5 years unless they figure out why it happened and how to stop it. All the while they naturally try to do-over things that went wrong in their own lives, and try to get along with each other because they are the only ones who can save the world, even though they don't always get along.

The funny thing is that "Odyssey 5" was apparently Showtime's highest rated original program, but they canceled it before finishing the first season because the executives didn't want the network to be known for science fiction. :roll:

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 pm

I have no idea how many people've seen Kenneth Branagh's film version of Hamlet, but it's spectacular and it finally came out on DVD recently.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Your Favourite TV That No One's Ever Seen

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:59 pm

"Sliders" - Not too obscure, but no one other than my sister and I ever seemed to watch it. Parallel universes and all that jazz.
I've at least heard of this, and have meant to watch it for awhile.

The only thing I can think of is recently I've noticed practically nobody I know has seen "Banzai", formerly on Fox, now only shown on G4, I think. Silly Japanese-style (but made in America or Britain, or something, I think) betting-on-random-s*** kinda show. Most amusing.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:24 am

The only show I can think of is Corner Gas. I don't know how big it is in Canada, but I've never found anyone else in America who's even heard of it. One of my friends is originally from Canada, and she had the first season on DVD. We watched the entire season in a few sittings. That show is hilarious.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:40 am

"God, the Devil and Bob"

I liked it but evidently I was in the minority because it only lasted about five episodes before it was canceled.
The enemy's fly is down.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 am

I watched "Sliders". It was good until Fox dropped it and then Sci-fi picked it up, and suddenly every episode was about the evil Cromags who took over Earth-Prime. It went from interesting what-if scenarios on parallel worlds to cheesy battling alien invaders.
It's like you read my mind: I too watched it, and until the Cromags came, it was actually a very good show. (Until (spoilers) they killed Arturio! the bastards! (/spoilers))

A few years ago, I downloaded an anime show, called Hunter X Hunter. It's really, really good, filled with action and adventures and etc. but nobody heard about it besides me, I'm afraid. -_-
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:18 am

Given the love of most things science fiction around here, I won't be surprised if anyone has seen (and/or loved) these. But, the population at large are pretty much in the dark on these.

Red Dwarf -- British science fiction comedy. The opening lines of every episode in the first season sum it up pretty well. "This is an S.O.S. distress call from the mining ship Red Dwarf. The crew are dead, killed by a radiation leak. The only survivors are Dave Lister, who was in suspended animation during the disaster, and his pregnant cat, who was safely sealed in the hold. Revived three million years later, Lister's only companions are a life-form who evolved from his cat, and Arnold Rimmer, a hologram simulation of one of the dead crew." The wackiness ensues.

Firefly -- I just had to say it. Because, as much as we all love it, it's mostly ignored by everyone else.

Sliders -- I loved it. Granted, I've only seen the first three seasons, but it was great, at the time.

The Pretender -- Opening narration: "There are pretenders among us. Geniuses with the ability to be become anyone they want to be. In 1963 a corporation known as the Centre isolated a young pretender named Jarod and exploited his genius for their research. Then one day their pretender ran away..." One of my favorite shows of all time. A genius was kidnapped as a young boy and forced to create "simulations" of new ways to save lives in certain situations. The Centre (the organization that kidnapped young Jarod) then sells those simulations to criminals who use them as a basis for their operations. When Jarod finds out his plans are being used to hurt people, he escapes. He spends the next four seasons trying to figure out who he is, find his family, stay out of the reach of the Centre (who are always chasing him), and help people in need. It was nothing short of amazing. Loved it.

RandomMaker
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Not Alvin or Calvin

Postby RandomMaker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

-Sliders, of course. I saw it for the first time on cable, actually, and I was hooked. Unfortunately, I don't have cable, so it took me years to manage to see more of it.

-Tour of Duty (1987-1990). Amazing show, set during the Vietnam war. It follows some American soldiers through their time in Vietnam. It also had some really great music in it, but the DVD versions have a different soundtrack than the original did. The opening sequence used to be to "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones, whichh fit really, really well.

The next two are more well known, but they were good and I still miss them:

-American Dreams (2002-2005). A family in Philadelphia in the '60s. Good stuff.

-Joan of Arcadia (2003-2005). It got a little bit strange and dark at the end, but until then it was pretty cool. Basic premise: girl talks to God.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:44 pm

If they're well-known, they don't count. Image

Little Mosque on the Prairie - (2006-07) Small prairie town has to deal with the correspondingly small Muslim community in their midst. Said Muslims have to find their place in said town. Big-city Imam gets thrown into the mix. Very funny for all, every faith gets its good moments and its facedesk moments. But it got picked up for a second season, so yay! Someone must have been watching it!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

RandomMaker
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RandomMaker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:03 pm

If they're well-known, they don't count. Image
Ok, ok... :D
How about Hogan's Heroes? I know maybe 2 people who have heard of this (apart from the 6 or 7 of my friends that I dragged to my house to watch it). Then again, maybe more people out in the big wide world have heard of it than people around where I live... who knows.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:45 pm

I thought Hogan's Heroes was a fairly famous show? I can't say that I watched it because it was on in the late 60s but I've definitely heard of it.

I did watch Slider's and Pretender.

The one show I watched a LOT and rarely find people who know it (but I bet you Canadians will), is You Can't Do That on Television.

Also, I filler show that was on in between main shows on PBS in the late 70s to early 80s, starring Bill Cosby, called Picture Pages. He drew pictures with a bee shaped pen called Mortimer Ichabod and there was a cool song he sung (I'd sing it for you if you could hear me). Anyone?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Sometimes I swear I must have dreamed Camp Cariboo, Out of this World and Size Small.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:06 pm

I have vague but definite memories of the first two of those, Jan.

I also remember The Pretender, which I loved and someday will get in DVD.

And I remember "You Can't Do That on Television," but not too much, because I wasn't allowed to watch it.

endercoaster
Soldier
Soldier

Postby endercoaster » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:53 pm

The best TV that I've seen and nobody else hasn't is an HDTV in a safe in my basement. The reception isn't great in there, but it's worth it to be able to say that nobody else has seen it.
Denny

"Children are a perpetual, self-renewing underclass, helpless to escape from the decisions of the adults until they become adults themselves."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:41 pm

How about Hogan's Heroes? I know maybe 2 people who have heard of this (apart from the 6 or 7 of my friends that I dragged to my house to watch it). Then again, maybe more people out in the big wide world have heard of it than people around where I live... who knows.
I know that I've seen some of it. Although we never watched it much.

And Jan, I remember seeing adverts for Camp Cariboo, although I honestly can't remember if I ever watched it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Little Mosque on the Prairie sounds like a great idea. I'm going to have to look for that. Hogan's Heroes was a very famous show in it's day. There's a disturbing biography of the show's star (Bob Crane) called Auto Focus with Greg Kinnear Willem Dafoe.

As for my own peculiar tastes, I enjoyed the few episodes Fox aired of Wonderfalls. It was about a lady who worked in a gift shop & believed inanimate objects talked to her.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Dead Like Me - Girl cops attitude. Girl dies. Girl becomes Grim Reaper. Girl cops attitude while taking people's souls before they die.

Ok, there's waffles, too.

I LOVE IT. I think Kirsten and I are the only two on the board who've seen it, yeah? It's so worth it.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:34 pm

I've seen a handful of episodes. :) My (other) sister has them on DVD.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Dead Like Me - Girl cops attitude. Girl dies. Girl becomes Grim Reaper. Girl cops attitude while taking people's souls before they die.

I LOVE IT. I think Kirsten and I are the only two on the board who've seen it, yeah? It's so worth it.
You're kidding.

Other people must see it. That's the only reason I didn't post it, I assumed everyone on here was way cooler than me and had seen it ages before I had :)

It's AWESOME.

It also spurred my several-months long now oatmeal with raisins phase.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

caretgraff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby caretgraff » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Of course, Dead Like Me! It's so brilliant! Healthy dose of snark and perspective in every episode. :) I wish they'd bring it back to life.

And this isn't a little-known TV show, but I do wish they would at least air reruns somewhere of the Muppet Show. They used to, like... I don't know... 10 years ago, on Nickelodeon. It's so great though- I'd like to see some contemporary stars in the Muppet world.

I hardly ever watch TV, but when I do it's usually the stuff on USA (Monk, Psych, House reruns, Law & Order)... and since that's not Grey's Anatomy or Ugly Betty, no one at work knows what I'm talking about. I'm apparently perpetually out of touch with my coworkers. :roll:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Add The 4400 to Monk and Psych for me. I heart USA.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Me! Remember? I like it too!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:27 pm

:::melodramatic smack of hand to forehead:::

I'm sorry, Jan! How could I have forgotten?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:51 pm

A few years ago, I downloaded an anime show, called Hunter X Hunter. It's really, really good, filled with action and adventures and etc. but nobody heard about it besides me, I'm afraid. -_-
I've heard of this, and even seen a few seconds of the show. It's been recommended to me by someone else; it's on my growing "to-watch" list.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:10 am

I'm still upset I missed the last half of the 4th season of The 4400. :(

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:53 am

The only show I can think of is Corner Gas. I don't know how big it is in Canada, but I've never found anyone else in America who's even heard of it. One of my friends is originally from Canada, and she had the first season on DVD. We watched the entire season in a few sittings. That show is hilarious.
I have the first 3 seasons. Actually, loaned season 2 to someone this weekend. In the states, WGN started airing it earlier this year, but I haven't yet met anyone who watches it that didn't get it from me or the same Canadian that gave it to me.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm adding one for my husband that he thinks no one will have heard off. It's called G-Force: Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman in Japan), some anime from the late 70s/early 80s I think? Anyone?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

seamusz
Launchie
Launchie

Postby seamusz » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:26 pm

MST3K

It was on the a couple of different networks during the 90's, including the sci-fi channel, and an episode will pop up here and there from time to time... great show.
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me....

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:18 pm

MST3K

It was on the a couple of different networks during the 90's, including the sci-fi channel, and an episode will pop up here and there from time to time... great show.
Is it really unknown? Almost all of my friends at least watched it, and a couple of them have it on DVD.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

seamusz
Launchie
Launchie

Postby seamusz » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:48 pm

MST3K

Is it really unknown? Almost all of my friends at least watched it, and a couple of them have it on DVD.
I don't know about everywhere, most people I mention it to don't recognize it by name anyway...
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me....

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Have to chime in on the Dead Like Me. We found it in the middle of the second season, sadly. We bought the DVD.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Among my friends and family, MST3K is very known.

RandomMaker
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RandomMaker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:03 pm

I thought Hogan's Heroes was a fairly famous show? I can't say that I watched it because it was on in the late 60s but I've definitely heard of it.
That's the thing about a lot of the shows I like... I'm not entirely sure that they count as "shows that nobody knows," since they were pretty popular when they were on. It's just that people my age have never heard of them, so it feels like no one knows them. I clearly need to spend more time comparing TV show interests with my madly-awesome teachers at school... though not all of them are old enough to have seen them when they were first on.

I've seen some MST3K for sure, but not as much as some of my friends.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:03 pm

I'd say that Hogans Heroes was a very popular TV show, since it's been in reruns for as long as I can remember. I used to watch it when I was in elementary school, and it's still on regularly today 20 years later. They don't do that for just any show. But as Schultze would say "I Know Nossink... NossinK!"

I also have vague memories of Tour of Duty. But I always got that show and China Beach mixed up. Both ran about the same time, and both were Vietnam shows that I wasn't really in to when I was 9.

Also, I just wanted to say something about You Can't Do That on Television. "I Don't Know" **Watches out for slime**

MST3K has to be at least somewhat well known since nobody here has referenced the actual name of the show, just calling it by an abbreviation - yet we all know what you are talking about.

As for shows that I liked that nobody remembers - Dangermouse. The Tick (Both animated and live action versions), Arrested Development, and Andy Richter Controls the Universe.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”