How fast do you read?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Locke_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Fill in the Blank

How fast do you read?

Postby Locke_ » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:17 pm

I'm in one of those phases right now where I want to read pretty much everything I can get my hands on. Going to bookstores sucks. I buy so many more books than I know I'll get around to reading, but I buy them anyway. I think that this summer, I've read 22 (?) books, including a few plays. But I want more and more, and what better way to read more, than to read faster?

I think I read at about your typical speed, but then again what does that even mean? Any big readers out there have tips for maybe practicing reading faster, without missing the same amount of information you'd get at a slower rate? Am I even making sense?

I try practicing this tip I learn to divide each line of a book into 2-3 sections of words and just kind of read the sections all at once instead of skimming to each word at a time.

How fast do you read, and have you practiced reading faster?
It is not the sound of victory;
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.
-Moses

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm

I don't know if I've ever practised, beyond reading just about everything i can get my hands on every day of my life. Does that count?

For a moderately complex story (I am using Harry Potter as my ruler), I guess I go at about 100 pages in an hour. I see each word, but I may or may not group them in groups of 4 or 5 words each. It's very intuitive for me, so stopping to think about it is weird.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:57 pm

I did Harry Potter seven in... six hours. I maybe took half an hour total of breaks within that six hour period, so I read pretty fast.

My tip is that I don't read that fast in meatier books. Something like Harry Potter is great because I know that I'm going to re-read it, so missing some isn't too bad, and actually can lead to a very enjoying re-read. I think that one of the ways I read is by consciously moving ahead even before I understand what I'm reading. I think that the best way to read quickly is to not really care if you miss too much and feel free to stop and turn back to check things, at least for fiction.

For very dry things, like text books, I skim like crazy. I don't know if I've trained myself for it, but I'm good at picking out the important bits and reading quickly to get an idea of what it's saying. Once again, if I'm particularly confused or interested I go back.

I think that overall I use the technique of not consciously reading. I'm in the habit of reading every word I see, so by forcibly looking over a page of words just faster than I think I can understand I allow myself to read at a more reflexive level. I think that it can be difficult to train yourself to do that, but the simplest thing is get some sort of drivel, like a crappy paperback and try your best. Because you won't be invested in getting everything you should be freer to read quickly and miss things.

I don't know if any of that made sense, but good luck!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm

i read roughly 2.5 pages a minute with full retention. this increased during college. in high school i was tested and read a solid 2 pages a minute.

i can skim/speed read at a much faster pace, but that's very different, and has slightly less retention.

a lot of things factor into how fast you are able to read (which for these purposes includes comprehension and retention), but one of them is the method by which you learned to read.

most kids in school learn to read with the Phonetic approach.

my mom taught me to read when i was quite small, and she used the Whole Language method, which means that i can now read and comprehend entire blocks of text at a time, rather than reading each letter or word or sentence one by one.

[edited to add]

tips for learning to read faster: read aloud. honestly. in the long-run this will increase both your speed and ability to retain. when you read aloud your brain has to be focused on two things at once: the words you're reading and speaking aloud, and the words that come next. over time, this can improve your speed and retention.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:19 pm

I'm a terribly slow, easily distracted reader and get very frustrated by this. This in turn causes me stop on occasion to relax myself and then continue on.

I would say my average is about a page a minute, sometimes more and sometimes less, depending on what's happening around me (noise usually causes me to read without comprehension), the size of the page (smaller paperback versus bigger hardback), and font size.

My mom is a huge reader and tried her best to pass this on to my brothers and me, but it was never a preference for us; we read when we had to and rarely read for recreation.

This changed for me in 9th grade with EG. I had to know what was going to happen in the Speaker books. This led me to pick up other sci-fi/fantasy books and I've since tried to read at least a book a week. I don't always reach that goal -mostly not, though not for lack of effort- but I always do better than I did the year before. Slow and steady wins the race, neh?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:27 pm

Not very. It took me 3 whole days to read HP7. I guess I must have read for about... 5-6 hours a day, maybe? I know some people read it in one sitting.

Typically, I don't want to read fast if I'm reading for pleasure. If it's a novel that I've waited for, shelled out cash for, and am enjoying, I usually want it to last me at least a week. I gave myself a 3 day limit to read HP7 because I didn't want to have to worry about spoilers for any longer than that.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:06 am

Depends on the book. Provided it's not older and/or denser English (like Locke or Tillich), generally two or three paperback book pages a minute.

Harry Potter 7 took me about five and a half hours.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:10 am

Yeah, same for me. It really depends on the book, the size of the words and the pages, the 'denseness' of the writing. I can slam through Ender's Game pretty quick... several pages a minute... but a book like Atlas Shrugged, which was in my opinion a 'denser' English writing, very tiny wording, I could get through a page a minute on less word-dense pages.

There is this program called "EyeQ" which apparently helps you boost your reading speed. It works by teaching your eyes to move faster and focus on entire sentences of words instead of reading each word. I have a copy somewhere, but I've never tried it out.

I've also just recently had a conversation with a guy who does a LOT of meditating and he's told me that when he gets into a deep focused state he is able to read a 200 page book in an hour with a higher retention that if he were ti read the same book normally. However, as a result he has said that he sufferers a migraine and is unable to focus on anything longer than a few seconds for an undetermined amount of time.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:10 am

I seem to read in real-time. As if someone were reading the book to me, except it's my internal monologue.
The enemy's fly is down.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:22 am

There is this program called "EyeQ" which apparently helps you boost your reading speed. It works by teaching your eyes to move faster and focus on entire sentences of words instead of reading each word. I have a copy somewhere, but I've never tried it out.
I've tried that. Didn't like it. Didn't stick with it.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:19 am

I seem to read in real-time. As if someone were reading the book to me, except it's my internal monologue.
Exactly how I was going to put it. What's with this "groups of words" thing?

However, with books I enjoy/know I will enjoy, I try to read slower, to help the words sink in more. Especially with books like the Harry Potter series, where every word/sentence is a morsel that is meaningful and often humorous. I would say the speed is... I don't know. Like someone reading a block of text to a class?

For serious. Groups of words? It just sounds like me talking in my head. Or... whoever is narrating.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:52 am

I read this thread in 5 seconds flat. :P
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:54 am

For serious. Groups of words? It just sounds like me talking in my head. Or... whoever is narrating.

but what it sounds like and what's happening are slightly different. i "hear" as i read, too. i also "see" it.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Now I'm curious if my mom taught us to read by some particular method or another. I know that my older brother and I were both reading before we started kindergarten, which for me was age 4. And reading this thread I'm really surprised to find out that not everyone reads by groups of words at a time. I always thought that everyone did that. Like, you don't focus on each individual word but your eye just kind of skips along and takes in lmaybe half a line at a time or something. It's hard to describe but I know they have studied it with eye tracking programs. I don't know how fast I read exactly. I know it's faster than average but nowhere near as fast as Kelly.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:28 pm

but what it sounds like and what's happening are slightly different. i "hear" as i read, too. i also "see" it.
You can still "see" and "hear" at the same time. Just... like a narrator of a movie. I find it no different than that.

I don't even know if we're arguing!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:17 pm

we're not, Mich. i don't think.

you seemed confused by the fact that a few people (myself included) mentioned reading whole groups of words at a time, and said that rather than doing that you heard narration in your head.

i was saying that whether or not you read by sentence, or word, or letter by letter, you can still "hear" and "see" as you read. hence what's actually happening with your eyes and your brain is separate from whatever it may "sound" or "look" like. does that make more sense?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:42 am

I think I read a little faster than average, and I learned to read at a fairly young age. I don't know what kind of method my parents used, but I definitely do the whole "read several words at a time" thing.

As far as forcing yourself to read faster goes, I had a teacher in high school who liked to tell us a story about his friend, who could eat an entire hoagie ("sub", for those of you not from the Philly area) in 2 bites. But why would you want to? There's no way he's actually enjoying that hoagie. Just take it slow, and enjoy the book. Savor it.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:45 am

Reading isn't always done for pleasure. In such cases, all I'm looking for is ways to save time.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:46 am

True, but the original post at least implied that the reading was done for pleasure.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:26 am

wizzard, it's all relative. If you're watching a moving in slow motion, does that increase your pleasurable experience? Even maximize it? I contend that increasing your speed of reading (as long as it doesn't jeopardize comprehension) does nothing to diminish the experience.

And I'm a bit of a strange reader. I always used to sound out every word in my head and so reading took forever. This was back in grade school. Somewhere between now and then I started reading sentences in two bites. Not each word, but two large chunks. This has sped up my reading incredibly. However, when I sit down with a book, I almost always start slow and then speed up.

Now, someone once told me about that EyeQ program and how, basically, it exercises your eye muscles. I once did some of the warm-up exercises, just to see, and I think it may have helped. But I've been pretty unsystematic in testing that hypothesis. So I charge you with finding out and reporting back.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:59 am

i agree with Ollie--if you're retaining and comprehending all that you read speed won't haven't an effect either way on your enjoyment.

i read for work and i read for pleasure. usually a book a day for both, so that's two books a day. i love every single minute of it.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:47 pm

I contend that increasing your speed of reading (as long as it doesn't jeopardize comprehension) does nothing to diminish the experience.
But it's over more quickly.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Scott
Launchie
Launchie

Don't choke

Postby Scott » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Reading is like eating, slow down and you'll taste more of the flavor. If you read too fast, your mind will choke on the words, then who will be there to Heimlich your mind?
Live every week like it's SHARK WEEK

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:18 pm

::shrug::

to each his own.

i know unequivocally that i have never lost even a glimmer of meaning or enjoyment from anything i've read at 2.5 pages a minute. i certainly take no issue with people who read slower than i do, whether they do so by choice or by default.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Wait... you're telling me that you've never been annoyed by people who read slower than you!? I get sooooo annoyed by them, it's quite unreasonable, but oh well...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Why would I get annoyed by them? Unless we're reading the same page of a book, which is highly unlikely.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:39 pm

That happens all to often for my tastes....

Also, I hate people who take years and years to finish something when I want to discuss it RIGHT NOW because my head is full of ideas.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Also, I hate people who take years and years to finish something when I want to discuss it RIGHT NOW because my head is full of ideas.
I hate impatient people who keep annoying me to finish something so they can talk to me about it. Usually makes me go slower.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:31 pm

I read in phrases, not by words or sentences. I read HP7 in 8 hours with potty and snack breaks.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Locke_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Fill in the Blank

Postby Locke_ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Haha daaang siick responses.

I wasn't necessarily refering to pleasure reading in my first post, because lately I've been taking pleasure out of reading anything and everything school related and non (mind you, it's all literature or books about authors/novels so it's not entirely noninteresting).

Anyways, Young Val pretty much inspired this thread. i was checking out the book club, (For the first time?), and saw the kafka on the shore thread. I just finished a book by Kafka, and I was curious if it was a reference to the author at all. Anyways, i saw Young Val say she had read it three time over in a month. I just thought, Damn. Do you think you read 2.5 pages a minute because you trained yourself (or learned that way), or is it dependent on the person as well.

Also, does anyone feel like, the more different crazy writing styles they get used to reading helps them read faster in general when the style is less obscure (almost like a tolerance level -- the more styles you adapt to, the better you'll read)?
It is not the sound of victory;
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.
-Moses

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:22 am

I hate impatient people who keep annoying me to finish something so they can talk to me about it. Usually makes me go slower.
Ooooohh. I know your kind... man I hate people like you!

I'm just joshing, so you know. It may bug me, but not THAT much.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:43 am

My reading speed is as fast as lightning...sorta.

Well, actually, it depends whether I read in my native language, or English- which I'm very good at reading, but it slows me down somewhat.

I finished HP7 in a day, but I had a lot of breaks (mandatory- needed to do things), and it's in English...Overall, I think it took me about 8 hours of constant reading.

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:54 am

I read HP5 cover to cover in one day, and I thought that was fast...

But, it took me about 12 hours to read HP7, so...

Maybe not as fast as I thought.

-B_15
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:35 am

Well, good, since it takes me at least a year to act on your recommendations. A couple of weeks ago we finally got around to enjoying something you recommended shortly after our last move.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Oh, my curiosity is piqued, I wonder what it was.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”