Harry Potter 5

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Fris
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fris » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:59 pm

Wait.. Luna explaining the thestrals?!

*stabs the nearest script writer he can find through the heart with a dull spork*
Thats actually really not that much of a plot deviation, because at the beginning Harry and Luna both can see the thestrals. I'm more pissed off about there being no house-elves, and stuff like that.
It means less Hagrid, and that bothers me.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm more pissed off about there being no house-elves, and stuff like that.
I feel no loss in eliminating a few house-elves. None at all.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 pm

Not for the 5th movie, but for the 4th movie. Dobby and Winky were integral in the book- you didn't miss them at all?

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:11 pm

i just watched all the clips and i think that it all looks excellent thus far. while i love the harry potter movies simply because they're harry potter, most of them are a BIG miss.

i'm please with all i've seen on the 5th one thus far, particularly Luna and Bellatrix!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:05 pm

Helena for Beatrix?? I'm not sure about that. But she's a pretty good actress, so she should be an alright bad-guy.
Last edited by Qing_Jao on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:07 pm

i think she looks fantastic, and i believe she'll do the part justice.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:58 pm

I imagined Bellatrix looking more like Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago (sorta like this, with the short, straight, dark hair), but I'm not disappointed... or, at least not in any reasonable way. :)
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:24 am

Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

oh, i definitely imagine Bella looking quite different. but my mental images of the characters are all different--vastly--from the movie actors.

the only thing i'm really worried about its Umbridge...
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:10 pm

I don't imagine the way characters look when I'm reading...I'm the only one I know who is like that. I still get sucked into the story, but I never imagine myself in it, so I never have a clear mental picture. Kind of like the way I can always recognize my mother, and I'd be able to draw her decently from a photograph, but if someone asked me to draw a picture of her right now I wouldn't be able to. I just don't associate things with pictures in my memory.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:07 am

I'm sort of that way too... I mean, I get a sense of the character's voice perhaps, from what they say and how they say it, but I never really see a "photo" image of how they look, despite very detailed descriptions by some authors! I may "know" Harry has crazy, unkempt hair, but I don't necessarily "see" it when I read the book. Umbridge is "toady" but I don't really go through the mental exercise to determine what a "toady" person should look like...

Sometimes that's good, because I'm not really very biased when a film comes out... on the otherhand, it's NEVER good to assume very much about a film from a book anyway...

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:18 am

Kenn, long time no see!

Anyway, back to an older subject, i just finished reading book 5 again. I still think that harry is sorta a dick in this book. He was just such an ass to his friends and to snape....

<Spoiler>

Plus, i really hated how they killed of Black, he just freakin disappeared!

</spoilers>

other than that, i must say that i enjoyed the book more the second time around.

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:25 am

although i'm in LOVE with the harry potter series, i really don't want to see this movie...

http://www.hpana.com/news.19793.html

that review makes it sound so frakkin bad. i'm scared to go see it now...i don't want to be disappointed...

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:03 am

*cries from laughter*

You just made my day.

On you tube the dearreaders spoof cracks me up as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sTPfMk34lz8& ... er&search=
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:17 pm

*emerges from lurking to bump this thread*

I went to a midnight showing. I love HP freaks--booing when Umbridge came on screen, applauding at the best lines from the book, etc. They totally made the experience a billion times better.

I really liked this movie. It had some spectacular moments. Some things could have been done better, but what they got right was amazing. Still, I think I would have been completely lost if I hadn't read the book (moreso than in the other 4 films). I need to watch it again. The midnight showing really isn't a good one to judge a film by...too much excitement. Then I'll be able to tell if I liked GoF better or not.

[mild spoilers]
Was anyone else sad at Ginny's look at Harry before the makeout scene? I felt so bad for her.

I must say, I liked Harry better in the movie than in the book. His moodiness wasn't all that extreme and it was actually logical. Still, he wasn't depressed enough at the end. It seemed like he was accepting his future a film too early.
[/spoilers]

So, what did all of you think?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD.... just in case you weren't expecting them or something :P

Just as a warning, most of my comments are going to be complaints, but I really did like the movie... I'm just a nitpicky book freak who wishes the movies were exactly the same as the books.

Still, he wasn't depressed enough at the end. It seemed like he was accepting his future a film too early.
YES! I didn't cry, and I thought I would. I am not someone who generally cries at movies, or at all really, so it's not that weird, but I was surprised. I think it's partly because Harry didn't explode at Dumbledore the way he did in the book, and sort break down with this raw, intense pain that I really felt with him when I read it. And I felt like I wasn't given enough time to mourn Sirius. It was just, screaming and then the battle happened and then, over... huh? lol.

One major complaint I have about this movie is actually not that major but it's just something simple that would've been SO EASY to add. When Hermione says Harry's not a horrible kisser... WHY didn't Ron say jealously "How do you know?" And I really wish they'd snuck in the kiss on the cheek somewhere else since there wasn't any Quidditch. *sigh*

And the DoM scene? Very abridged, of course... and um, AK?!?! My friend theorized that they put that in there so people who hadn't read the books would know he'd died and not just disappeared, which sounds feasible to me, especially since it did NOT look like an AK death -- it looked like the spell sort of knocked him into the veil. But still.

My favourite part might be the Grawp scene. So. Adorable. And Harry's line to Umbridge in the Forest? Perfect! And Luna? So freaking amazingly perfect. I almost wish I was a lesbian so I could marry her. :P I even have my Top 3 R/Hr Moments: Hermione's Look at the Christmas table; them interacting sitting on the couch for the 'teaspoon' conversation; and Ron trying to defend Hermione against Grawp!

Speaking of the teaspoon conversation, I'm so excited that they incorporated a lot of book quotes! There's that one that I was pretty excited about, and another one from Sirius that's one of my favourites: 'The world is not divided into good people and Death Eaters.' Of course, it was in a very different context than the book, but the sentence alone is amazing.

At the Leaky Mug podcast in London, they said that the movie is pretty much like a trailer for the book, and I think that's pretty accurate. I felt like soooo much happened in so little time, just flitting from one scene to the next! It felt so short! But I suppose that's the best they can do with such a long book.

I could say so much more, but I've got to go to bed! Yay OotP!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:27 pm

5th movie spoilers abound.

i thought the 5th movie was a VAST improvement on the book.

it's not secret the 5th book is practically my least favorite (saved only by the 2nd book which i have no love for at all).

the movie took a book in which ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS and made something watchable out of it. i thought the deviations from the book were true in spirit and in some cases superior (having Harry hear the prophecy himself at the Department of Mysteries instead of in the MASSIVE AND USELESS PLOT DUMP from Dumbledore at the end of the book).

the score was FAN-TAS-TIC and i'mm glad they axed the old guy and got this new guy instead.

the acting was swell (except for Emma Watson who, though adorable, bothers me more and more with each film--i and absolutely loved her in the first two).

the R/Hr stuff literally made me squeal every five seconds. i loved the thestrals (so much better than the horrid werewolf CG in PoA).

Umbridge was TERRIFYING.

Sirius' last words to Harry: "Good one, James!" SO. HEART-WRENCHING.

Luna was perfection. the DA stuff was great, esp. the Patronuses.

Ginny drives me crazy. i think they must be kicking themselves for casting her. she isn't watchable. it's not that she isn't attractive, it's just that she's so wooden and bland and my eye passes her over in every group shot. she hasn't got the charisma to be a leading lady. that being said SHE WAS IN EVERY EFFING SHOT in this movie. they're trying to foreshadow her importance in the 6th (which is more than Rowling did) but still. i hate watching her.

i loved the trial.

i LOVED the final battle between Voldy and Dumbles, even though the prior group battle bored me.

didn't like the Death Eater masks, but they were MUCH better than the KKK hoods.

Grawp scenes were fantastic (mostly cause of the shipping that went on during them).

i liked that they threw in the Harry/Seamus confrontation. i LOVED that they threw in the paper airplane inter-departmental memos.

lots of thoughts--but overall. the movie told the story FAR better than the book did. IMHO.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:37 pm

Well, the fifth book is my favorite of the series so far, and I still loved the movie. It seemed like they kept in EVERYTHING important.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:37 pm

I posted my thoughts in the movie review thread.

Ah, hell. I may as well save people the trip.
I wasn't terribly impressed by HP5. Here are just a few random thoughts and impressions:

MOVIE and BOOK SPOILERS:

The film did stay rather faithful to the book without being bogged down by subplots. However, I think that some things were glossed over too quickly that shouldn't have been. For example, Mr. Weasley's attack and injury. I guess the only reason why it was included at all was to emphasize the link between Harry and Voldemort, but it was addressed so quickly and vaguely that if I hadn't read the book I don't think I would understand why he was attacked. Also, none of the Weasleys seemed very concerned. Similarly, Snape's worst memory was shown, but the implications of it weren't addressed at all. Also, the aftermath of the battle at the Ministry was rather brief as well. Sirius's death didn't seem to have much of an effect on Harry after the confrontation with Voldemort. Where was the whole coming to terms with loss and death? He seemed more upset when Cedric died. Then there's Harry's relationship with Cho, which consists of a few looks, one kiss, and an abrupt ending. I know that there wasn't much to it in the book either, but the film didn't really make it seem like Harry felt anything for Cho besides pity. I know that when adapting a book to film running time is always an issue, but this was in fact the shortest film in the series even though it was the longest book. A little bit of time could have been spent to flesh out these plot points or else cut out the less important ones all together.

In general, I found things to be somewhat slow and dull until the showdown at the Ministry. That being said, the battle itself was excellent. My one complain being that I would have liked to see more from other members of the Order besides Sirius and Lupin. How about showing Tonks doing a bit more? I like her, but she was barely more than an extra. Another thing that I liked was the casting. Luna Lovegood was just plain perfect (what an adorable girl!) , and so was Umbridge.

END SPOILERS

Overall, good but not great. 3/5.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Spoliers continue
My favourite part might be the Grawp scene. So. Adorable. And Harry's line to Umbridge in the Forest? Perfect! And Luna? So freaking amazingly perfect. I almost wish I was a lesbian so I could marry her. :P I even have my Top 3 R/Hr Moments: Hermione's Look at the Christmas table; them interacting sitting on the couch for the 'teaspoon' conversation; and Ron trying to defend Hermione against Grawp!

I agree wholeheartedly. I really loved Ron in the Grawp scene; it was so sweet. Yay R/Hr!!! *squeals*

The casting in this one was amazing. Luna was awesome, Bellatrix sent chills down my spine (that breakout was seriously creepy), and Umbridge made me absolutely furious.

I loved the fact that there were so many education decrees.

Seeing the soft side of the twins when they were comforting the little kid made me happy. I'm going to miss those guys.

And I was so glad (and depressed) that they made Sirius so lovable. After his near nonexistence in GoF, I was concerned that his death wouldn't seem that sad. They did him just right.

Small complaint: Harry really didn't seem to be bothered by Snape's memory at all. True, I thought he overreacted a bit in the book, but no reaction whatsoever seemed wrong.

And another one: Mrs. Figg wasn't angry enough when she found Harry. She was great in the trial scene, but in Little Whinging I was kind of disappointed.

Still, I don't think I have ever been so giddy in a movie before (even if it was mostly because of the shipping).
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm not that dissapointed in the movie. It didn't live up what I thought it was going to be, but it wasn't bad at all.

I absolutely love the actress they got for Umbridge. Exactly how I imagined her to look and sound. I really found myself hating her all over again. I also love Luna, exactly how I imagined her also.

I also couldn't help getting excited with all the R/Hr shipping going on. : )

The only thing that really disappointed me was the lack of Neville's role in the book. I also really wanted to see the scene with him and his parents. I guess I can understand why they left it out, I was just really excited to see it.

Good movie though, i'm planning on seeing it again soon.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:56 pm

I agree, Mrs. Figg wasn't nearly angry enough in the scene after the dementors. She seemed calm to me, which she wasn't in the book.

Ginny still was into Harry in this movie, even though in the book she had a love life. What happened to Michael Corner and Dean?

I think they did a pretty good job at breaking it off between Harry and Cho, if they were trying to save time. Though I still wish Marietta was in the movie.. I was looking forward to seeing "SNEAK" written across someone's face.

I really liked Luna, as most people seem to also. But I was annoyed when she kept saying things that others said in the book. Like about the thestrals with Hagrid and about the Patronus with Susan Bones, but that's most likely what I get from rereading the book right before the movie came out.

I really liked Number 12 Grimauld Place. It wasn't how I imagined but I think they did well with it. But Kreacher. Poor Kreacher. I don't think he had enough of a role in the movie.. I mean, how can we hate him when he never betrays the Order?

Mm, Aunt Petunia's dress... That was great.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets." -Goku, DBZ

Hawkblaze
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Hawkblaze » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:03 am

OK guys. I need the vote of everyone who saw the movie.

Last night, I was driving back with my friend after seeing the movie. We talked about what we liked, what we didn't, etc., etc. Then he comments about how great the "CGI for Voldemort's nose was." I looked incredulously at him because I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I was sure that it was just a great makeup job on Ralph Fiennes, but my friend is convinced that makeup couldn't make his nose that flat. I made a $5 bet with him that the nose is just makeup and no CGI. A quick search on the internet yielded no insight into this matter.

What are your guys' opinions, and does anyone know the answer for sure?
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Sorry, your friend is right. Voldemort's nose is CGI -- they sort of drew pencil lines around his nose where they'd change it. I think it's discussed in the extras in the GoF DVD, or if not, then some interview about it. I remember Dan talking about having to imagine it while they were filming.

Okay, now that I keep thinking about the movie and remembering new things they've left out (newest? the whole this-is-why-you-have-to-stay-with-the-Dursleys thing), I keep getting more annoyed with it. I mean, I still like it, but... argh!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 am

I know it's a tiny detail, but I much prefer how they did the talking-head-in-the-fire bit in this one. Sure it's not quite like in the books, but having the face appear in the flames rather than the coals shaping to look like a face made of lava was a very good idea.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Epi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Epi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:37 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD

I saw this movie last night, and I can say that it was absolutely fantastic. The Order of the Phoenix was by far my favorite of the 6 books so far, and ever since I had read the entire ending with the battle, I had wanted to see it in a movie, and I can say that they did the whole thing a lot of justice.

Of course there was also something extra that I got from the movie that many of you probably didn't get... Not only was the theatre filled with HP fans (with the cheering, booing and clapping at key scenes to make it more fun)... but.... but...

I saw it in IMAX 3D!!!!!! The entire battle scene in the end was entirely in 3D. It was absolutely spectacular and ridiculously cool. I don't think I've ever seen a 3D movie that great before. The last 3D thing I saw was Ghosts of the Abyss, the James Cameron Titanic documentary which was really cool, but this was absolutely something else.

As for the movie itself, I will also agree with everyone that Luna was amazing and Umbridge was absolutely perfect. Harry Potter has an amazing legacy of having absolutely the best casting I've ever seen (although I really wish that Richard Harris didn't die, because he was an infinitely better Dumbledore) in a book-adapted movie.

There were some minor things which I didn't particularily like. I don't like how they left out Hermione being petrified in the battle, nor did I like how the Ministry looked. I had always imagined the place to be all wood panelled like a Hobbit Hole, but it was very different. Finally, I absolutely agree with others about how it was wrong that Harry showed absolutely no emotion to Snape's memory, and how there wasn't any closing scene at all to the Sirius Black death scene, which just sort of happened and was forgotten about forever.

Overall though, I absolutely enjoyed the movie. Considering the last time I read the book was 2 years ago, I didn't even notice most of the changes from book to movie, and I thought it was all done ridiculously well.

I guess the only thing I miss, which really is a problem with the entire series of books in general is that the entire 'awesome fantasy boarding school where the kids do cool things' plot has slowly been dissipated to fill another plot. While I like the plot in general, I also really love the crazy boarding school antics, from Quiddich to house points, to crazy exams and crazy teachers. Although most of this is still adequate in the book, but it seems like the last two movies have completely forgotten that this movie even has a school. Oh well....It's also why I live Ender's Game much more than the rest of the books as well.
Epi's Anime Blog:
http://www.animeslice.com

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:42 pm

i wonder that everyone is upset about the lack of closure concerning Sirius' death... Harry never gets any closure for Sirius death in the books, either. no funeral. no body. no time to adjust or say a proper goodbye. Harry doesn't even get to grieve properly in the books. Dumbledore's death is a stark contrast. i would have been upset had they emotionally resolved something in the movie that is still not solved in the books, and may never be. plus, i think Harry had quite a reaction in the movies! Lupin has to hold him back, just like in the book. Hell, he tries to Crucio Bella!

am i just missing something?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:06 pm

It seems more that Black's death came so quickly. He and Belatrix weren't the last one's fighting (because Dumbledore never came to catch everyone's attention..) and Belatrix simply apparated(?) and AK! he's dead.. (though I don't understand why he was still breathing after that curse anyways.) After his death, they do well with Lupin and Belatrix, but it's his actual death happening that doesn't fit well.

..and, to be honest, seeing the battle scene in 3D was alright, but I was more impressed on how they told you when to put the glasses on (without disrupting the movie) than the scene in 3D. But then again, I haven't seen something that has only parts of it in 3D for quite a while.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets." -Goku, DBZ

Epi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Epi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:01 pm

i wonder that everyone is upset about the lack of closure concerning Sirius' death... Harry never gets any closure for Sirius death in the books, either. no funeral. no body. no time to adjust or say a proper goodbye. Harry doesn't even get to grieve properly in the books. Dumbledore's death is a stark contrast. i would have been upset had they emotionally resolved something in the movie that is still not solved in the books, and may never be. plus, i think Harry had quite a reaction in the movies! Lupin has to hold him back, just like in the book. Hell, he tries to Crucio Bella!

Well unless I'm mixing up book 5 and 6 (it HAS been 2 years since I read them), wasn't there a part at the end of book 5 where it's explained to Harry that no one can come back from the gate once they disappear, and then he gets even more sad? I guess they didn't want to end the movie on a sad note.
Epi's Anime Blog:
http://www.animeslice.com

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 am

For me, it was just the screaming at Dumbledore... I know it's basically the same sentiment, but it wasn't immediately afterwards (the Voldy-Dumbles fight was in between), and for some reason that made a difference for me -- really not sure why exactly.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:49 am

For me, it was just the screaming at Dumbledore... I know it's basically the same sentiment, but it wasn't immediately afterwards (the Voldy-Dumbles fight was in between), and for some reason that made a difference for me -- really not sure why exactly.
that scene was supposedly in an early cut of the movie. it got dropped for time.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:55 pm

No, I'm exactly where you are. Harry obviously freaked out, and in a very big way. I don't understand people who say that Sirius' death wasn't a big deal, or that it didn't affect Harry in a huge way. I definitely felt a hit, and I don't see how one can say that Harry didn't.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Well unless I'm mixing up book 5 and 6 (it HAS been 2 years since I read them), wasn't there a part at the end of book 5 where it's explained to Harry that no one can come back from the gate once they disappear, and then he gets even more sad? I guess they didn't want to end the movie on a sad note.
Yes, but the way the movie presented it, we knew that Sirius wasn't coming back.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:28 pm

If they show Harry nice and depressed at the beginning of HBP I will perfectly happy with the end of the OotP. It was just those last few seconds that were too cheerful. It seemed to me that he'd already recovered from Sirius' death. I felt the same way at the end of GoF, but now with the 5th movie out, he seemed adequately affected. So basically, if Harry is miserable, I'm happy (mildly sadistic of me, but whatever).

I watched OotP the second time last Friday, and I must say, I like it even better now. I'm thinking it beats GoF as my favorite HP film. Plus, I'm rereading the book and I have decided that the film was condensed beautifully. Still, I wish they had mentioned that the prophecy could also have been about Neville--but if it is really important, I guess they can toss it into the final two movies. And I continued to squeal at every R/Hr moment.

By the way, the non-midnight-showing crowd is so lame (comparatively).

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:09 pm

I still don't see it, and Harry being miserable at the beginning of HBP would be missing the theme of HBP--which is that Harry comes out of being angry and miserable and accepts that he can be hurt without withdrawing. He misses Sirius; he doesn't withdraw from people because of it, and I think that's an important thing that can't be shadowed over.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”