Hatrack, for the interested few

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Papa Moose
Launchie
Launchie

Hatrack, for the interested few

Postby Papa Moose » Tue May 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Don't know if there's a whole lot of overlap any more between pweb and Hatrack, but for those who do hang at Hatrack on occasion you may have noticed that the forums have been down for a while. There was a security problem somehow related to the forums, and it allowed people to use Hatrack's servers to send out spam. The forums have closed temporarily, and will be replaced with new software (current plan is Simple Machine Forums, but until it goes live I wouldn't count any chickens).

The old threads and registration information are probably not going to be transferred over. Likely, the old threads will be made available in an archived form for a time, then removed completely after a while. Sadly, this will probably include the landmarks, so if any of you were around long enough ago to have written one or read one you remember fondly, you should be able to make yourself a copy. That goes for any other thread, too, I suppose.

When it reopens, people can re-register. We'll attempt to ensure that former members will be able to retain their old screennames, as long as they register in a reasonable period of time (definition of "reasonable" not yet determined). We will probably allow changes in registration dates and possibly post counts, because some people are concerned with such things.

If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them as I can. Once the forum is live, I'll provide a link here, though it should be reachable through the main page once it's up.

--Pop

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue May 01, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks for the update Pop.

*stickies*

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue May 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks, Papa. I've been wondering what was going to happen over there. When the new software gets up and running and you post the link, will you also post a link to the archives so that I may make a copy of the landmark I have archived there?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed May 02, 2007 1:55 am

Pardon my ignorance and curiosity, but what is a landmark on Hatrack?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed May 02, 2007 1:57 am

Of additional note, FrescoPix is also down. Not that anyone cares. Pretty just me and Rayne and couple other newbs over there, now.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed May 02, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks, Pop. I have kept informed through sake, but it's nice to see something on pweb, too!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed May 02, 2007 9:11 am

Aww. Poor Hatrackers. You can huddle here like we huddled there when pweb was down.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Wed May 02, 2007 9:27 am

Wow, it'd be a shame to lose those monstrous post counts...

A landmark thread on Hatrack (correct me if I'm wrong) is a tradition where once a member reaches a significant post count number or length of time, they write some variation of a life story thread, sharing about their life and history. Every member handles it differently, but it's a way to give the rest of the community a glimpse into who you are. Or at least that's how I've seen them. Afterward they're archived in a special read-only forum. I think it's a really cool thing... I wish we had something like it here.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed May 02, 2007 9:48 am

I've been doing my part to inspire such a tradition here :stoned:
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed May 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Because what we need is PWebbers talking about themselves more.

Papa Moose
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Papa Moose » Wed May 02, 2007 3:46 pm

It's back up for now. More info to follow.

Edit in more info: They were able to separate the phishing from the forum and block it. However, they'll be moving to the new software for other reasons -- after they move to a new server. I have no idea what the timeframe is for that. And I haven't heard back about the other forums yet, but I'd assume they can get those back up for now as well. Hatrack, of course, was their first priority. *smile*

--Pop

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu May 03, 2007 1:27 am

Because what we need is PWebbers talking about themselves more.
Some of them, yes, actually. And it's not like you're going to shut up the others easily, anyway.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu May 03, 2007 1:12 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone's already heard my story at least once. Most have heard it more. And I kinda doubt anyone wants to hear it again.
The enemy's fly is down.

Papa Moose
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Papa Moose » Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 am

Forums at Ornery and Nauvoo are back, along with the far less visited Strongverse. Fresco is still down, though I know not why. Taleswapper and Starshine & Shadows never had working forums as far as I know.

It's possible that because Fresco was using a much older version of UBB it had more security concerns and won't be returning as soon (if at all) in its current form. That's just speculation, though. A couple years ago it was implied that Taleswapper would be taking the place of Fresco, but not a whole heck of a lot seems to be happening at either site, so who knows.

--Pop

Return to “Milagre Town Square”