Religion and Moral Philosophy Book Club

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Re: Religion and Moral Philosophy Book Club

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:16 pm

Recommendations for other similarly-themed pieces of literature are welcomed
I'm confused. Are we allowed to recommend our own philosophical texts, or are we restricted to ones that are in agreement with yours?
The enemy's fly is down.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 pm

So does this mean you're actually going to act like these books reccomend?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 pm

I'm still interested, but will be entirely unable to participate until the end of April or whenever I get my school stuff done. Feel free to start without me, and I'll jump in when I can.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:44 pm

Mobius: Whatever philosophical texts you feel are appropriate. Of course, economic or political philosophy probably won't fit in as well, so I'm meaning more of a personal and/or spiritual philosophy as far as "similarly-themed".

H_K: The way I act or don't act should be of no concern to you. Even if it was, it would have no bearing and no effect and what I choose to do. If you mean will I be acting in accordance with the philosophies I am reading about, that remains to be seen. I don't recall ever saying that I had settled on a particular philosophy or religion that I was going to adhere to nor that I had decided I was going to change the way I acted anyways. I'm really getting bored with your bullshit. Even if I were to decide right here and now that I was going to be a full-fledged Buddhist, Christian, Hindu or whatever, you'd still be an annoying little pissant who irritates me. Not that you even know what these books recommend anyways, but still. Bugger off or contribute something worthwhile.

EL: I'm still reading things right now and won't be finished for a few weeks as well; after that I'll be able to start devoting time to others' recommendations.
"By means of meditation we can teach our minds to be calm and balanced; within this calmness is a richness and a potential, an inner knowledge which can render our lives boundlessly satisfying and meaningful." - Tarthang Tulku

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Religion and Moral Philosophy Book Club

Postby zeroguy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 am

Of course, for beginning introduction to Taoism there’s no better standby than:

The Tao of Pooh (http://www.just-pooh.com/tao.html- though some will complain about this book, it does its job and naysayer’s really have no legitimate points.)
Seconded. Although I do not claim to be an expert on Taoism by any means at all.... seconded nonetheless.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:37 am

you'd still be an annoying little pissant who irritates me.
I'm a nice guy, really
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 am

lol

Nice people can't be annoyed or irritated either, apparently.

STEE-RIKE!
"By means of meditation we can teach our minds to be calm and balanced; within this calmness is a richness and a potential, an inner knowledge which can render our lives boundlessly satisfying and meaningful." - Tarthang Tulku

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:17 pm

My personal concept of hell is a little... out of line with religious concepts. Now, does that matter?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”