Things that are beautiful

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Re: Things that are beautiful

Postby Petra456 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:38 pm

I don't know if you guys are going to get this program but I'm hooked on 'Planet Earth' right now. Most pretty awesome documentary EVER.

The promo is on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_uBi9OYzU.

I mean, wow.
I'm watching this right now, "wow" is right.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:46 pm

I have never found anything more beautiful than the look in someone's eyes, and on their face, when you make their day, week, month, year, whatever time frame. That look of pure joy.

:mrgreen:
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 am

I'm going to half-agree with the person above me and say that eyes are one of those most beautiful things nature creates.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:25 am

Cherry trees are absolutely beautiful.

I can't look at one and not feel some tingle of happiness.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:25 am

Battery Park (tip of Manhattan) at sunset.

(I took a pretty good picture, eh? If you think anything other than "Of course! or something equally positive, no response will be required)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:01 am

That is absolutely positively GORGEOUS. Good job!
HAiaSMG

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:08 am

That Barnes & Noble is huge!

I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:44 am

wow... where is that, Seiryu?

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Smiles.

I've realized now why it is that I was more attracted to Nicole than Chi; attracted at all to Andrea, and more attracted to Emily than Christina...

The sexiest, most beautiful, and most attractive thing that the opposite sex has to offer is their smile. It doesn't matter if they're 120 or 250, D cup or A cup, blonde or brunette....If they've got a pretty smile and they use it often.....I'll chase that.

Smiles are one of the most beautiful things that human beings can create.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Thu May 03, 2007 3:02 am

Another insomniacal rant...

I've been thinking...

There's a real difference between the different words we use to describe attractiveness. I'm talking specifically about female attractiveness, only because I know nothing of male attractiveness.

There's Beautiful, Hot, Sexy, Pretty, Gorgeous....and tons more, but I'd say those are the most common.

I think sexy is more a statement on a series of actions than a physical appearance. Sexy is the way one acts, dresses, and presents themselves. It's not really a measure of how attractive they are, more of how sexual they appear.

Hot is similar to sexy, though it binds itself more towards an actual appearance. Hot, though, is more a description of a snapshot of a person than of a whole person. A freeze frame of them as they are at that instant.

Pretty is an overall person. Pretty is a superficial look at a persons appearance as a human being. Pretty is attractive, as it doesn't wash off at night or change into more comfortable clothes when they get home. Pretty is an overall statement of a person's features as being attractive.

Gorgeous would be an extension of pretty. Perhaps even a combination of pretty with sexy and/or hot. Gorgeous is to pretty as Gigantic is to big. "You're very pretty" is to "You are gorgeous" as "yeah it's pretty big" is to "it's gigantic". Often times gorgeous is also a snapshot, though. You LOOK gorgeous, as opposed to you are. It's not for any lack of physical attractiveness on the persons' part, it's more that given the general setup of the 21st century male's mind, to be gorgeous is to be unrealistic and better than reality.

Then we come to beautiful. Beautiful is as much a measure of physical attractiveness as how fast a car is is a measure of it's horsepower. Sure, one affects the other; and often one is mistakenly defined by the other, but the pure fact is that one can be beautiful while only being mildly physically attractive in the same sense as 100hp is awfully fast when you're straddling it. Beautiful is a measure of a person as a whole. A person isn't beautiful by doing their hair, putting on makeup, or wearing a push up bra. In fact, I'm of the mindset that a person is most beautiful when they are most comfortable. At home, in jeans and a tshirt, or a track suit, or nothing at all; however they are the most comfortable. At that point they are them, they are real, their guard is down, and they can just be themselves. That is beautiful. Some people are more beautiful than others. Some people give of themselves, focus on doing good not just for them but for those around them, etc.

I had a point to this, but as I wrote a few people came to mind and I think I'll digress for a minute.

Janelle, you are beautiful.
Lea, you are beautiful.
Kel, you are beautiful.
Ali, you are beautiful.
Fred, you are beautiful.
JL, you are beautiful.

I say that because from what I know of all of you, you are very beautiful people - both from a superficial standpoint and a much deeper view of what I know of you. You are beautiful.

Anyways, as I think about that word and what it means and how it applies....I then am brought to think about who is the most beautiful. I have to say that I've found the two most beautiful people I've ever met. The first is my mom (cue the "awwww" and every other cheesy response to a stereotypical and cheesy answer). Everyone thinks their mom is pretty, that's a given, but as someone who gives of herself day in and day out to her job, her religion, those in need, she is very worthy of the title.

The other is a young woman I met a few months back. I'll be damned if I can remember her name, but she's the daughter of a friend of the family. She is very pretty, which puts that aside. Even without that, though, she is beautiful in a much deeper sense. One of those people who genuinely cares about others, even those she knows very little about; who gives as much of herself as she possibly can without asking anything at all in return.

I am not beautiful. At least, not to anywhere near that level. I honestly don't know how. It absolutely boggles my mind to consider being that caring, and that well meaning to everyone around them. Perhaps I'm just bitter, though; and was dropped on my head one too many times as a child.

Anyways, cheers to all those that are beautiful. Stop worrying so much about being "hot", and concern yourself more with being "beautiful" - the retribution is far greater.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu May 03, 2007 11:16 pm

The mehndi my student did on my hand.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 07, 2008 2:39 pm

I know, I know. I'm bumping all sorts of threads lately, but this one felt absolutely necessary. I think it's gorgeous. I saw it on TMZ (part of the caption: it's a volcano erupting in Chaiten, Chile during a lightning storm.)

And a very much belated thank you to Cameron.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 pm

The earth has decided it wants to kill me, and it's gorgeous. I love it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”