Your first time...

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Dao-troit
Launchie
Launchie

Your first time...

Postby Dao-troit » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:39 pm

As my first post, I thought this was an appropriate topic. Does anyone vividly recall their first enterance into the Enderverse? I'm sure we all do.

EG was an option for a reading assignment when I was in fifth grade (I'm 25 now). I wasn't an avid reader by any stretch of the imagination. I remember choosing EG amongst about 30 or 40 books simply because it had a spaceship on the cover.

OSC was the first author to teach me the power of the written word. From the removal of Enders' birdie to his discovery of the cuccoon, I was enthralled. I just started working at a book store and have devoured the shadow series and am in the middle of Xenocide again.

Yesterday at work a young girl asked me to recommend a good book. I handed her EG and told her what I've just told all of you. Rarely do I feel such a sense of accomplishment. I only hope that OSC does for her what he did for me.

Anybody else?

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Well, let's see... I read EG about 5 months ago. Yeah, I'd say I can remember it pretty well :)
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Crazy Tim
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Crazy Tim » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:06 pm

yea, i remember the first time i read ender's game. I was in middle school and i had to read it for a book report. I remember reading the book over and over again after finishing the report. Now here i am, a junior in high school, writing a research paper for english on EG. ahh.....the splendor of enders game

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:58 am

I remember sleeping through a bit more of class than usual the next day because I pulled an all-nighter to read it in one sitting.
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:21 am

i was 16. my then-boyfriend was leaving for the marines in a week or so. he wanted me to read his favorite book. it had a spaceship on the cover. i was appalled. i did it anyway cause he was wicked adorable and i was insanely and unhealthily emotionally dependant on him, despite the fact that he treated me poorly. i read the book in one sitting, and it "changed my life" at the line "Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth."

all that was 8 years ago.

http://www.philoticweb.net/forum/viewto ... 7853#17853
you can read my actual first post about it there. ...i was....much more enchanted with the entire thing at that point. now i just look at it as, well, hey, at least i got a good book out of that relationship, if nothing else!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:11 am

I actually started with Enders Shadow which may be why I support that book more.

It was a dark and dreary day at the local library, and Jamie, a 14 year old high school student, had no way home. He walked up the big stony steps to the library doors. Upon opening it he saw a rather large assortment of books. Getting excited he began prancing through the library looking for something new to interest him, but to no avail. When suddenly he looked up, there he saw it.... a homeless man throwing trash at people. Jamie ran outside and the homeless man threw a book upon him. From that moment on it was love. After marrying the homeless man, Jamie actually looke dat the book titled Enders Shadow.

That was only a slight exageration of how I first came upon the book 5 years ago.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

christine
Launchie
Launchie

Postby christine » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:41 pm

I was forced to read it in seventh grade for a class assignment.

I reread it my freshman year and then the entire series. I have currently read every story in the Enderverse produced by Orson Scott Card (that I know of), including the ones written in the IGMS online mag thingy.

I'm a senior in high school now and it is still my favorite book.

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 pm

when i was in 5th or 6th grade i was looking for a book to read and i wanted to read EG because my brother and sister are/were constantly talking about it and i wanted to know that they were talking about half the time. but they both thought that i should wait. but i decided to try it anyway, and sure enough i was right and they were wrong and it turned out to be my favorite book!
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:20 pm

I read it because "Ender" was my best friend/boyfriend's screen name. He's my husband now, and we've loved every one that came out, although Puppets' ending bugged me.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:42 pm

This girl I took to the prom was into sci-fi and I wanted a good sci-fi novel to read, so when we were out on a date at the mall, we went into a bookstore and she showed me the book and told me I should get it. I don't remember if I read it right away or not. My aunt (by marriage) actually told me about it the Thanksgiving or Christmas before. Since two people told me to read it, I decided it was a sign.

So...that was the prom...that means I've been a fan for 3 years.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

darkosmo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby darkosmo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:19 pm

i just read ender's game for the first time, and i really enjoyed it. actually i think i was supposed to read it before, in high school perhaps, but i never actually read a word of it back then. now i know that i was missing out though, it's a great book. i read it for a college class on science fiction that i'm taking, and it's definitely one of my favorites that we've read up til this point.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:02 am

My experience is actually somewhat similar to Young Val's. I was 15 (I'm now 30) and my first love/boyfriend at the time agreed to read my favorite book (Prayer for Owen Meany) if I read his, which of course was EG. I wasn't excited about the prospect because up until then I was fairly prejudiced against SF and fantasy. I ended up loving it and immediately got my hands on SftD and liked that even more! I had to WAIT for Xenocide to be written and it was torture. Needless to say, I have now read nearly everything that OSC has written, most multiple times, and own almost all of them too.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:39 pm

Not really vividly at all. I remember it, sort of, but it was just a good story, one of many, in my favorite SF magazine. Almost thirty years ago, and I had a lot of other things on my mind that year. I do have vivid memories of occurrences in my Real World that year.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:32 am

When I was in seventh grade, I was looking through a box of my dad's old books in the basement and came across Ender's Game and decided to read it. It's funny now, because I never read any of the other books in that box. I read the book in less than 24 hours and immediately started reading it again. When I was reading it at school once, a guy I knew told me about the rest of the series, so I started reading those.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was initially very disappointed that Ender was an adult in the rest of the books. But I've since gotten over it and love SftD too. :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:48 pm

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was initially very disappointed that Ender was an adult in the rest of the books. But I've since gotten over it and love SftD too. :)
This just reminds me... for some reason, when reading the back cover of EG, I thought Ender was an adult. It took me a little ways into the book to realize that the hero was a child.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Demosthenes
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Demosthenes » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Um... I'm still reading EG for the first time, but love it so much I just had to sign up here...

My dad heard about OSC a LOT on the radio (this was very recently), and as he's the impulsive book-buyer type, he ran off to the half-price bookstore and picked up a battered copy of EG... kept ranting about how awesome it is, so I gave in and read it... needless to say, I've been hooked for about a week. Only a few more pages to go and I can start the next one... my dad bought nearly all, if not all of the Enderverse books in box set form as well. :)

*EDIT*
I've finished EG, and have just finished reading Speaker for the Dead too! Again I am amazed... awesome stuff.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:50 pm

The first time I heard about EG was in the Insomniac Games forum (Ratchet and Clank forever! :D ) when someone asked "Which books should be converted to Video Games?" and another person nominated the book. I kept that information deep in my sub-concious (spelled it wrong, probably) and forgot about it.

Then, me and my family went on our yearly vacation to Sinai (an Egyptian peninsula near our country, with one amazing sea) with many other families (friends of ours) and one of the members in a different family was reading ES. I asked her whether I should read it or EG first (IMO now, you should read EG first), and she sayed she couldn't answer me, because the two books happen in the same time, and are basically in a parallel universe (though back then, I thought it meant that there are many universes in the EnderVerse, and not that it talks about the same story from 2 different persons' perspective- in the end, both things were correct, with the other universe being Outside ^_^)

In the beginning of this year (my freshman year, if anyone's interested) 2 friends of mine recommended this book, and one which had the entire 2 Quartets offered to lend them to me. That was the straw that broke the Camel's back, and I decided that I had to read it. I borrowed EG from that friend, and read it in 3 hours (BTW, I read really fast). It was fascinating.

Afterwards, I read about it in Wikipedia (oh nerdy me -_-) and discovered that the next books in the Ender series were more philosophical, and because I was there for the action, I decided to skip it (for the time being) and read the Shadow series book.

I borrowed book after book, and read as fast as I could (though we had lots and lots of tests each day, so I read one in about 2 days) until I finished Shadow of the Giant. Then, after a short pause, I read Speaker for the Dead in a week (a really hard book, atleast for me) and Xenocide in about 3 weeks- hardest book I've ever read and finished (WAY too philosophical).
And now, I'm re-reading (my copies of) EG and ES.

Note, this post took me 2 days to complete, because I was busy over the ear...wow. :?

Major Anderson
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Major Anderson » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:03 pm

A few years ago.....I've always been a keen fan of Sci Fi/Fantasy books, and my brother intorduced me to Ender's Game. I was hooked.

One of my favourite books, although it doesn't quite knock off my two best ones....Legend by David Gemmell and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.
"Go Nova!"

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:28 pm

Welcome to PWeb Major!

Have some gyoza...

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 am

I first read Ender's Game in grade 6. I actually woke up early (and I never do that!) to finish it because I had a restless night dreaming about it. I'm in grade 12 and I still have restless nights dreaming about it. Which reminds me: I started reading it again (for the xth time) last night!
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

SuriyawongsARMY
Launchie
Launchie

Postby SuriyawongsARMY » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:05 pm

It was last year my freshmen year my teacher had a copy and demanded me to read it. But compared to the original front cover it had a picture of ender playing in battle school and looked like a kiddy book. as soon as i read it for those first 10min i was hooked beyond belief and finished in two days. My teacher was amazed and didn't beleve so i had to tell him the whole story on what happened now i have read it all and iknow about this series more than he knows about it.
It's hard to win when your oppenent holds all the cards, I didn't think my face was readble.

toad
Launchie
Launchie

Postby toad » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:21 pm

When I was in the 7th grade (93), a person handed me his copy of Ender's Game and told me that he thought I would be the kind of person that would like that book. I remember the strange part about that encounter was that I was not friends with this person, and I really never interacted with the person at all. I took the book though and read it. I remember thinking that it was an awesome book, but alas I had to give it back to him, and after a year or so I forgot about it.
Fast forward about 7 or 8 years, and I'm googling on the internet trying to find a book about little kid geniuses and a war against buggers because I counldn't remember the name of the book, and I so wanted to read it again. Since then, I've read all of the EG and ES storylines, and am waiting for the next books with baited breath.
Ender's Game never leaves my bathroom, it is my permanent toilet reading material. I can pick it up and start from anyplace in the book, and enjoy the read as if I've never read it before. I'm surprised that I don't have the book memorized.
Toad

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Welcome to PWeb toad! That's a great story, btw. I wish I were so lucky with those books that I have a vague memory of. Usually I can't find them. It kinda sucks.

Edit: Take whatever food you're offered. It's good. ;)

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:42 am

Welcome to PWed toad! Have some gyoza!

Edit for spelling.

Descoladore
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Descoladore » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Hello fellow OSC afficionados. I'm new!
I stumbled across you guys today quite by accident when looking up the proper pronunciation of the words 'Hegemon' and 'Ansible', and I thought I'd re-post something I wrote on my 'home' forum the other day.
Somehow, despite going-on 30 years of being an avid SF fan, I managed to completely overlook Orson Scott Card.

I was recently given a Tescos' bag of books - people know I collect stuff, and it's common for such gifts to appear. Today, for example, I got 'Beyond Uhura' by Nichelle Nichols, and 'Outbound Flight' by Timothy Zahn left on the doorstep.

Anyway, I digress. The aforementioned plastic bag contained six books by OSC, an author I'd never heard of. On looking at the flyleaves it became apparent that they were the first six books in the SF "Ender" series - equally, none of which I'd heard of.

I started with the first (unsurprisingly) entitled "Enders' Game". I consumed it in two sittings, and was alternately gripped with tension, laughing uproariously, and in tears.

I have now moved through "Speaker For The Dead" and "Xenocide", both of which have echoed - and intensified - the gamut of emotion of the first, and am currently enthralled with "Children of The Mind". If any of you are, like myself, die-hard SF afficionados, and you haven't done these books, then do your wetware a favour and pick them up.

Don't dismiss "Enders' Game" as a simple hybrid of "Starship Troopers" and "The Rowan". It's evidently OSC's first go at that sort of writing, and for a 1985 story can be a little elementary in places, but it's got depth and pathos and some interesting ideas and concepts I haven't seen elsewhere, and is just fantastic. "Speaker For The Dead" hits the ground running and takes you to places you didn't expect, and shows you things you wouldn't have thought of (at least, I hadn't). And "Xenocide"... well, awesome is a much overused word today, but is entirely applicable in this case.

Now they may not be everyones' NCoT, dwelling far less on SF 'tech' and concentrating instead on Human expansion into the galaxy and the subsequent ethical conflicts arising from the events in "Enders' Game". The tech is subsumed in a similar way to the Star Wars universe - no-one goes around saying "Look! Talking robot!" in that, and equally the mechanics of the future in OSCs' books are ubiquitous (almost) to the point of inconsequentiality. So don't crack them expecting blazing starship battles and worlds colliding. Planetary collision is confined to the idealogical rather than the physical, and is no less jaw-dropping for it.

Anyway, can't stop here talking all day - 'Jane' is calling me back to "Children of The Mind"... ;)
Finished "Children of The Mind" on Monday. Quite quite brilliant. Picked up "Ender's Shadow", expecting it to continue on from the end of CoTM, and discovered it's actually a re-telling of "Ender's Game" from the point of view of another character. Initially disappointed that the next book in the series didn't advance the main story, but returned to the beginning, I quickly revised my opinion as I realised that it was a wonderful story.

I have just finished it, at my desk at work, over lunch. The end is utterly heartbreaking, in a good way. Glad my desk faces a corner so no-one saw me drying my eyes.

Tonight: "Shadow of The Hegemon".
Having found you lot, I had to sign-up immediately and say "Ho!". I'm not going to write more right now, because, as I mentioned just above, "Shadow of The Hegemon" is exerting an irresistable pull. Maybe I'll drop by tomorrow and have a wander through some other threads. ;)

D.
The enemy's gate is down.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Welcome to pweb Descoladore!
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets." -Goku, DBZ

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Yes, welcome! You sound like the kind of guy we need more of here.

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:40 am

Welcome to PWeb Descoladore! Have some gyoza!

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:07 pm

I read EG roughly 10 years ago. One of my co-workers lent me his copy to read...and he never got it back. It's still sitting on my dresser, with the cover all mutilated and torn. It's a veteran, now.

I did buy him a new copy, though, at one of the OSC book-signings, and asked Scott to write, "John, thanks for lending Steve your book."
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Ah no, not another lime!

Well at least Yebra will have someone to talk about cricket and crumpets with.

Descoladore
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Descoladore » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Ah no, not another lime!

Well at least Yebra will have someone to talk about cricket and crumpets with.
I think you mean 'Limey'. How utterly ironic to find a pejorative, mildly xenophobic, term on this of all forums. I shall assume your tongue is firmly in your cheek. ;)

(for the record, I love crumpets and hate cricket)
The enemy's gate is down.

Eversica
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Eversica » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:47 am

It was my sophomore year of high school, around six years ago--I was in the English 10H honors English class while all of my friends were in regular old English 10. They all had to read EG for class and most of them HATED it. I mean, I really don't like having books forced upon me for classes either, so I could understand how they felt. But since they were all reading it, I went out and picked up a copy and read it with them. It couldn't be much worse, I thought, than what we were reading in my class (Earth Abides) at the time.

I instantly loved it. After reading it, I managed to find pirated ebooks online of SftD, Xenocide, CotM, ES, and SotH. I put them on my Palm Pilot and devoured them by the end of the next day. I read EG over and over and over until Shadow Puppets came out that year, and I bought it right after release.

Then, in my second semester of college, I spotted SotG in our school's bookstore as a new release, so I snagged it and read it that night. It made me want to reread the Shadow series, since I hadn't really liked the storyline as much as the Ender one, so I found EG through SP on eBay for like $20, and I picked them up. Gave my spare copy of EG to a friend to keep and read at that time, who in turn has lent it to numerous others.

Such an amazing series, and I totally need to thank the non-honors English students that year for hating it so much who inspired me to read it to try to understand WHY they'd hate it. :)

Kaira
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kaira » Thu May 17, 2007 1:46 pm

i do believe that i read EG in 9th grade. my cusin was obsessed with the series and still is... i read it and made my brother read it and and reread it and then the whole series and have made all my friends read it, and my mom. i remember reading it and thinking 'wow i am just like val...' i LOVE these books...
Into that world inverted
Where left is always right,
Where the shadows are really the body,
Where we stay awake all night,
Where the heavens are shallow as the sea is how deep,
And you love me.

Bookworm
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bookworm » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:00 pm

I had never even heard of OSC until my sophomore year of high school. :shock: I was early to my algebra class & my teacher, knowing I was a bookworm, told me I should read this really cool science-fiction book by a guy named Orson Scott Card. (He was actually reading the book at the time & showed it to me...) I went to my local library to see if they had Ender's Game. They didn't have it, but they did have a copy of Ender's War, which when I looked at it, had both Ender's Game, & Speaker for the Dead. I checked it out & read Ender's Game, finishing it that night. The next night I read Speaker for the Dead. I've been an Ender fan ever since.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:46 pm

Welcome to pweb! Have a limeade.

I have a bookworm stuffed animal. Well, actually an Anobium punctatum stuffed animal. :)

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”