Snow Day!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
eriador
KillEvilBanned

Snow Day!

Postby eriador » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:05 am

Yep. That's right. How's everybody else?

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm

Still iced in, and the school district I'm in is having snow day. The main highway in front of my house is reasonably clear, but the gravel county road my "kids" live on, and all the rest of the earth for miles other than main highways, is still a solid 3" sheet of ice. The temperature is 11º.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

irnstad
Launchie
Launchie

Postby irnstad » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:07 pm

It's the middle of January and it still hasn't snowed here at all. We usually have at least a foot by now! come on global warming! go to another planet!
The David method of eliminating guilt is simple. All of your problems are caused by invisible people named Juan and Cindy. All you have to do is find them and kill them.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:43 pm

My younger brother's high school was delayed for an hour. Everybody's been freaking out about a potential ice storm, but it looks to me as if there's just some snow that's finally sticking. :)
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:49 pm

it iced up a bit friday, melted, saturday it snowed, but just enough to make driving a bit interesting, and it melted sunday afternoon, then it snowed sunday evening till late monday evening. we only have around 6 inches. it's nice but it won't last. so sad
Ubernaustrum

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm

it hasn't snowed here at all! :( i want it to so bad though! it flurried today but thats about it. and one other time is snowed but it didn't stick. i want a snow day!! :(
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Snow finally! yay! And then it had to come in the most sensational form! I had to spend hours hacking at all the ice!
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:02 pm

We only have a few (3) inches of powdery snow, but it packs down nicely for nefarious purposes such as snowballs and sledding. Where's all of the ice that you guys are talking about?

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:32 pm

oh my gosh! it is snowing and sticking, i am so excited and happy and hyper! :D :D :D :D o i love snow so much! i hope we have a snow day tomorrow!!
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Some of my friends had some classes cancelled. I only had one class today, though (yay!), so it doesn't really matter for me.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Soara
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Soara » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:06 pm

I can't remember what snow looks like.

Ender97
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender97 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:12 pm

snow is evil! give me summer and the 100 degree weather!
from man of war to man of faith to family man, He and I have walked a similer path.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 am

Grrr. This has been the first winter in something like 128 years that New York City didn't have a single snow fall during december. And if this keeps up, that's continuing into January. Boo.

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 am

We only have a few (3) inches of powdery snow, but it packs down nicely for nefarious purposes such as snowballs and sledding. Where's all of the ice that you guys are talking about?
Draw a skinny ellipse along an axis that runs from about Tulsa up to the center of Missouri, the ellipse maybe a hundred miles at its "widest" point, and that's the ice that I'm talking about. I'm in the SE corner of Kansas. I don't think you want it. It's still thick on the ground out there, and some of the trees still have their coatings, though yesterday was sunny and some lost them. So far today it's only up to the teens in temperature, and didn't get much higher than that yesterday, for sure not up to freezing.

It's not good for snowballs, though if you can find a good safe hill would make a high-speed sled: just make sure not to crash, it's _hard_.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:42 am

It's also icing down from Tulsa on the I35 corridor. Dallas, Waco and Austin have been iced since Tuesday. Houston has ice today.

But, i only have a half snow day. Classes at 1 are still on.
-Kim

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:12 am

I just want you to know that I hate you all.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:28 am

It's also icing down from Tulsa on the I35 corridor. Dallas, Waco and Austin have been iced since Tuesday. Houston has ice today.

But, i only have a half snow day. Classes at 1 are still on.
We have snow today here in Arlington, Texas and all of the other DFW cities. It was cool yesterday because the fountain by my English building at UTA was frozen. School was canceled for the snow today because no one down here knows how to drive on icy roads.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:02 pm

We don't get snow days. When the wind was blowing 70mph, with a wind chill well in the negatives, school was optional (i.e. parents could keep their kids home, but they'd still have to make everything up). Actually, I think the only time they have cancelled school has been for wind (and even then, it is because of the speed not the cold). Of course, most of us drive better on ice than on pavement, so we don't have that excuse.
Yay for all of you guys.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Ice day yesterday. Delayed school today, very depressing indeed.

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Most of our snow (~ 3 inches) from... LAST Wednesday still hasn't melted. I think the warmest it's been all week was 45. Today it was 36 with a low of 11 tonight. It's supposed to be 36 tomorrow with a low of 14.

I shoveled the driveway on Sunday. That was lots of fun. It was about 20 degrees at 3pm. Lots of ice from driving and walking on the driveway all week made it even more fun. But, as far as I know, even when we had 6" of snow, schools were still in. The highway runs through town so the roads are usually pretty clear.

Before moving here my brother and I hadn't had any experience driving in snow or on ice. Hitting patches of ice and skidding for a second... Hitting the brakes too hard and starting to fishtail.... Not slowing down far enough back and getting frightened that you might hit the car in front of you or that you might lose control if you hit the brakes too hard... Turning too quickly and starting to fishtail... You figure out really fast that you have to slow down, take it easy and become less aggressive in your driving.

Living in central California where there are 9 months of the year with very little to no rain and three months with lots of rain, you'd think people would learn and remember how to drive in it... They don't. I suspect that's how it is with a lot of places getting snow right now. I used to see people trying to do their regular speeds of 70 and 80 after the first rains and praying that they didn't have or cause a wreck somewhere. I still see people driving 70 and 80, only this time it's not rain. It's after snow, possibly with black ice. So many people try to drive at the normal distance behind other cars... You can't do that. You have to give two or three times the normal space. What if they hit ice? Or suddenly slow down? When it's slick, if you're right behind them and they lose control, you're gonna go down with em. If you've got four or five car lengths between you, you'll be able to react and avoid being involved.

Okay, apologies for my rant. I've seen and heard about way too many wrecks recently. I'm going to go downstairs and bring in more firewood before it gets too dark.

Everyone who's going to be driving in snow or ice: be safe out there. If you don't have to drive, don't. Wait it out.
HAiaSMG

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:07 am

We got snow! It's barely a covering, and we don't get classes off for it, but I wasn't sure we were going to get any this year at all. It makes me feel at home. :D

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:17 am

Stupid, stupid, stupid ice! Let me go to school! *cries*

But then again it's so beautiful and makes the land look so majestic..

I don't know what to think of you ice. *gives odd look to ice*

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Living in central California where there are 9 months of the year with very little to no rain and three months with lots of rain, you'd think people would learn and remember how to drive in it...
Ha, that is one of the most true things I've ever heard. Of course, you assume that they can drive the other 9 months...
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:04 pm

No snow here, but I'll be damned if it isn't unusually cold for AZ.

We're currently experiencing temperatures about 20 degrees below the norm for this time of year. Instead of highs in the 60s or 70s, we're having highs in the 40s or 50s and lows in twenties on some nights. We've had freeze warnings on and off for the past week. My tree was majorly damaged, if not killed, from the cold...in fact, most of the trees I've seen around town are in the same state of damage as mine. The crops growing in our area are being damaged by frost. We've had our fireplace going for the past week.

It's as if the midwest/east warmed up and sent some of their cold here...which is unfortunate, because I can't follow the heat in that direction. It needs to just come back to me.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Living in central California where there are 9 months of the year with very little to no rain and three months with lots of rain, you'd think people would learn and remember how to drive in it...
Ha, that is one of the most true things I've ever heard. Of course, you assume that they can drive the other 9 months...
Ya know what I hate about Californians who move to Oregon? THEY CAN'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN! I CAN'T f****** STAND DRIVING WITH IDIOTS WHO ARE SURPRISED WHEN THEY WAKE UP AND SEE WATER FALLING OUT OF THE SKY! IN f****** OREGON!

And actually, in a broader sense, I hate people who can't drive politely, like those who know that if you pass them, they have a smaller penis, and so will do their darnedest to cut you off.

/rant

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:54 pm

Snow? What is this phenomenon you all talk of? Here, we had a weekend with highs of 80ish and now it's been high 60's now were going for another weekend of low-mid 70's

YAY! For the Sunshine State!!!!

(i realy have never seen snow, under 70 is cold for me)
~Nick

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:29 pm

Now now, Nick, I never brought up whether or not they were good at driving, regardless of weather. As luck would have it, most of them aren't good drivers. Either they're too timid -and therefore too slow, ride their brakes, etc.- or too aggressive - and therefore take too many risky chances, come too close to the cars they're coming up on/passing, etc. - or they just don't pay enough attention to what they/the people around them are doing.
Ya know what I hate about Californians who move to Oregon? THEY CAN'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN! I CAN'T f****** STAND DRIVING WITH IDIOTS WHO ARE SURPRISED WHEN THEY WAKE UP AND SEE WATER FALLING OUT OF THE SKY! IN f****** OREGON!

And actually, in a broader sense, I hate people who can't drive politely, like those who know that if you pass them, they have a smaller penis, and so will do their darnedest to cut you off.

/rant
Or those that, as you're about to pass them because they're too damn slow, speed up to keep you from getting in front of them. And people who can't keep a constant speed in general. So annoying.

Of course, I'm not really one to talk... I occasionally go 10 or 15 over the speed limit. It really bugs. I live in a small town, 20 miles from Carson City. We have the highway going through the middle of town. The speed limit is 25. Once you're closer to being out of town it goes to 35. Then 45. Then 55. And about two miles out of town, 65. I really really really hate going 25 through town. Icko. Generally, I go 30. I try not to go more than that, but the whole time I'm driving I'm trying to keep myself focused on driving but keep wanting to twiddle my thumbs or blast the music and sing really obnoxiously... Dreadful 25 mph speed limit!

/rant
HAiaSMG

Return to “Milagre Town Square”